Name:	20180906_091444.jpg
Views:	1348
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	150893
    Very nicely done mate!

Woody

Comment

Walk around video.

BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

Looks great! It was asked earlier, but didn't see an answer...How did you remove the stock decals/stickers so it had the least effect on the foam? Thanks.

Comment

I just RIP them off.
          I never care about decal removal , because I use Minwax and foam filler coating to cover up any imperfections.

Some guys use ice rubbed on to take the decals off, seams to work. Give that a try.

Another T28 is in for a new paint job this one will not take as long because I know what I'm doing this time. Acetone is used to remove the RED. Keep it away from plastic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180918_132707.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	152252Click image for larger version

Name:	20180918_132727.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	152253
          BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

I tried a little wet sanding on one of my Archers last night with good results. I had never done that on a foam model before and was worried, but 2000 grit wet worked great! I really enjoyed the tips in your video and looking forward to putting them to use in the future. Going to try the acetone to remove red on aircraft that I want white. Got some bleed through on the last project I did.

Comment

If you don't want to remove the RED JUST use a primer to cover before painting, it will work I did it on the Blue Angels, but not on my next one tho.

Comment

Name:	Screenshot_20180918-075228_Video Player.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	152261Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180918-075348_Video Player.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	152262

Comment

Never be without this stuff in the shop.

Name:	20180918_175740.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	152323

Comment

Beautiful repaint,I just finished my 1400mm t28 after a nasty prop explosion,even repurposed the drop tanks from a 70mm fms yak for some under wing gun pods.
                    Now just waiting on decals.

Comment

Wow! What a nice fix and repaint!
                      And taking one step further with the gun pods.

I'm painting my second T28 now and I hope I get it to come out better than my first one. I have to take my time and do it right.

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Originally posted by t33jetman View Post
                          Wow! What a nice fix and repaint!
                          And taking one step further with the gun pods.

I'm painting my second T28 now and I hope I get it to come out better than my first one. I have to take my time and do it right.
                          Thanks T33 I am remaidening it tomorrow.
                          Thanks Rifleman

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180920_005306.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.8 KB ID:	152505
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Blue angels 5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	155.0 KB ID:	152504

Comment

Name:	20180624_142459.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	152823 My simple paint booth, mobile, can be placed on a table or the floor. Click image for larger version  Name:	20180922_052629.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	152822

Comment

"SImple paint booth" ............I like it :Cool: A couple of box fans and some furnace filters.............. pretty ingenious;)
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by t33jetman View Post
                                  Never be without this stuff in the shop.

Name:	20180918_175740.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	152323
                                  Amen brother !!

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

Yeah, I like the paint booth idea!

On my E-Flite Cherokee, I used ice cubes to remove the factory decals and it worked great. Cleaned the surface and painted Minwax Polyacrylic over the foam. Let it sit over night and when I picked it up the next morning, my fingers took the Minwax off! I had to sand all the Minwax off the plane. I realized that the factory red paint doesn't adhere very well either, so I removed that with acetone. Once I had bare foam, I scuffed the surface and hit it with Krylon Foam primer. Let that sit for 48 hours and then hit it with Rust Oleum 2X flat grey primer. Next will be the top coat and wet sanding. I would be delighted if I could get my Cherokee to look a quarter as good as that T-28!

Comment

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post

On my E-Flite Cherokee, I used ice cubes to remove the factory decals and it worked great. Cleaned the surface and painted Minwax Polyacrylic over the foam. Let it sit over night and when I picked it up the next morning, my fingers took the Minwax off! I had to sand all the Minwax off the plane. I realized that the factory red paint doesn't adhere very well either, so I removed that with acetone. Once I had bare foam, I scuffed the surface and hit it with Krylon Foam primer. Let that sit for 48 hours and then hit it with Rust Oleum 2X flat grey primer. Next will be the top coat and wet sanding. I would be delighted if I could get my Cherokee to look a quarter as good as that T-28!
                                      Thank you .

I'm not sure what Minwax you used because I use Minwax polyurethane and it dries in less than 30 minutes you can do 6 codes and just a couple of hours usually I let it dry for an hour and it's ready to go. Make sure it's the same can I show oil n the video.

If you do what you say wet sanded you are going to have a great looking airplane when you're done because you're taking your time to get a good job done.

The clear coat is the finishing touch.

Oh look my second plane is almost ready for paint. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180925_131821.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	153412

Comment

I used the Minwax Polyacrylic, which is what I have used as a top clear coat on almost all my planes. I haven't ever had it fall off with my hands before. I am thinking there was something on the factory foam that caused the issue. Possibly mold release or something similar. I also haven't had the paint on an E-Flite plane come off as easily as it did with the Cherokee. I did an Archer a few weeks ago and the red paint was very tough to remove. Problem I am going to have with wet sanding is the raised rivets on the Cherokee. I lost a number of them already. I started my first coat of gloss white last night over the grey primer and it sure makes the foam cells stand out! Going from dark grey flat primer to high gloss white is a bit of a shock.

Comment

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post

On my E-Flite Cherokee, I used ice cubes to remove the factory decals and it worked great.
                                          Could you expand on how you used the ice cubes? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X