Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well guys another small detail almost finished, Pitot Tube. Plane is starting to look like a speckled egg with all the molds getting sanded. Hope its ok if I post these kinds of photo's. Don't want to bore everybody. Regards, Rex

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2741.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.4 KB ID:	367107

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2742.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	367108

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
      Well guys another small detail almost finished, Pitot Tube. Plane is starting to look like a speckled egg with all the molds getting sanded. Hope its ok if I post these kinds of photo's. Don't want to bore everybody. Regards, Rex
      It's okie-dokie by me to post build photos, I do it almost every week.

Progress is worth noting, don't you think? It's like sharing your enthusiasm and that can be contagious

Repaints and mods are why I love to build scale foamies.

Taking a great airplane in model form and alter the profile, the details, livery and rebuild it to suit your 'mind's eye' sees is more fun than a barrel-o-monkeys. ​ Click image for larger version

Name:	barrel-of-monkeys.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	367137 Second only to seeing her fly like I imagined the whole build.

Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• It happened AGAIN today at the field. Had two very good flights with no issues. I went to take off for a third time, nice easy throttle advance, the tail came up, and then white smoke came billowing out and the ESC burst into flames! This is the second time this has happened. The exact same thing happened about 18 months ago, and all components are OEM. I can understand an ESC having an issue once in awhile, but this is the second time the Freewing ESC has burnt to a crisp and toasted all servos, retracts, blue box and receiver. After the first time I put a 100A Freewing ESC in it. I've done power checks before and Amps and Watts were both within the motor limits. Has anyone heard of this before?? I can't believe this happened twice to me with no warning
        Attached Files

Comment

• So sorry to see this. I have not flown mine yet but always have a fire extinguisher in my flight box. Hope you figure it out and continue to fly your Corsair.
          Best Regards. Rex

Comment

• I have yet to have this happen in a freewing plane, but I have had similar things happen in fms planes yes.

Comment

Well guys another small detail almost finished, Pitot Tube. Plane is starting to look like a speckled egg with all the molds getting sanded. Hope its ok if I post these kinds of photo's. Don't want to bore everybody. Regards, Rex

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2741.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.4 KB ID:	367107

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2742.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	367108
              Looks great, Rex. I assume it is removable when not in use? Is it made of brass, or some other material? Most of mine are a combination brass, plastic, wood, etc. I've tried different materials, always removable, and have tried styrene lately to try to break off easier if it goes off-runway and gets ripped off. The styrene seems to do less damage to the plane a couple times that that has happened. 👍

Comment

• Davegee,

It is made from brass, aluminum and now I have the little arrow installed on the aluminum tube after squeezing it to look like the real one. It is styrene. I also added the metal strips on both sides of the fuselage over the wing. They are from 3/16 angle styrene glued to the fuselage. Added Elbee’s panel on top of the hatch and put a magnet in to remove the hatch. Pictures later

Regards, Rex

Comment

• Rex, I am running out of adjectives between both you and davegee to describe your modifications to these airframes. Simply some darn good work from all. Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Corsair Crew, I've been trying to give my Pilot the best shot at surviving my flying skills with a decent 'seat harness'.

The Lap Belt is complete> AND so is the "Shoulder Straps". WOOHOO ! Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1346.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	367374

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1345cropped.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.6 KB ID:	367373 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1348.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	367404
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2743.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	367379 Thank you Elbee for the comments. Believe me Davegee is far more the detailer than I. I still consider myself a beginner and trying to add what I see in my mind. I am stealing techniques from guys other builds and using what I think looks right. My Corsair stock weighs 7.8# with the Robart wheels installed and no battery in plane. Hopefully with lite weight materials and a new paint job I will not add excessive weight. Will See! Here are a few more photos that are in progress. The Dog says it is time for our afternoon nap so will continue later this evening on the build.

Best Regards, Rex

Name:	IMG_2744.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	367380

Name:	IMG_2745.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	367381

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                        Corsair Crew, I've been trying to give my Pilot the best shot at surviving my flying skills with a decent 'seat harness'.

The Lap Belt is complete and I'm still fitting/messing with his "Shoulder Belts".

Should have more soon. Best, LB

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1345cropped.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.6 KB ID:	367373Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1346.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.1 KB ID:	367374
                        Pilot is looking mighty fine, LB! Don't worry, you'll do just fine flying your Corsair with your new pilot "cinched down, real good!" I have found the Corsair a delight to fly, with really no bad habits, with the exception of giving it a lot of right rudder on takeoff to keep it straight down the runway, and for landings, keeping the power in there some until touchdown in a two point attitude, and slowly bringing the tail down as you keep it straight with the rudder. It really is a fine flying plane!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

Name:	IMG_2743.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	367379 Thank you Elbee for the comments. Believe me Davegee is far more the detailer than I. I still consider myself a beginner and trying to add what I see in my mind. I am stealing techniques from guys other builds and using what I think looks right. My Corsair stock weighs 7.8# with the Robart wheels installed and no battery in plane. Hopefully with lite weight materials and a new paint job I will not add excessive weight. Will See! Here are a few more photos that are in progress. The Dog says it is time for our afternoon nap so will continue later this evening on the build.

Best Regards, Rex

Name:	IMG_2744.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	367380

Name:	IMG_2745.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	367381
                          I like the idea of your sanding off the little marks made during the injection process. I hadn't really thought of sanding them off, but it is still a good idea, I think. I don't think you'll have any problems with the weight of your plane affecting its flight performance. I have flown my Corsair with stock wheels and then with the Robarts, and I could not see any difference at all, with the exception that it lands better and sticks the landing almost every time with the Robarts!

cheers

davegee

Comment

• Elbee, The lap belt and harness looks great. Going to make your cockpit look like a real miniature. Rex

Comment

• Hello pilots, I just bought a nexa zero, any ideas where can I get the electric retracts? Thank you in advance.

Comment

So sorry to see this. I have not flown mine yet but always have a fire extinguisher in my flight box. Hope you figure it out and continue to fly your Corsair.
                                Best Regards. Rex
                                I was in contact with Martin at MotionRC today going back and forth on email. I really thought they would be willing to help out a little here. When the Freewing ESC goes, it sends 20+ volts to everything and frys them! I'm looking at $240 just in servos and retracts alone (for the second time), not including a new ESC. I'm not looking for something for nothing, but a bit of a credit towards purchase of the replacement servos and retracts that the ESC took out would have been a nice gesture. I guess 2 Avanties, a Tigercat, a Corsair, and a Spitfire and a ton of parts was not enough to matter. I'll have to seriously think about my future purchases and recommendations. I would recommend using an external receiver battery and disconnecting the ESC power wire to the receiver.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denniswpb View Post
                                  It happened AGAIN today at the field. Had two very good flights with no issues. I went to take off for a third time, nice easy throttle advance, the tail came up, and then white smoke came billowing out and the ESC burst into flames! This is the second time this has happened. The exact same thing happened about 18 months ago, and all components are OEM. I can understand an ESC having an issue once in awhile, but this is the second time the Freewing ESC has burnt to a crisp and toasted all servos, retracts, blue box and receiver. After the first time I put a 100A Freewing ESC in it. I've done power checks before and Amps and Watts were both within the motor limits. Has anyone heard of this before?? I can't believe this happened twice to me with no warning
                                  I'd recommend you ditch the stock setup... actually, ditch the Flightline Corsair altogether and get an FMS 1700mm Corsair. It is bigger with a tad bit more scale bits. You will need to upgrade the ESC as I did in the attached pic. I put the 8s, 150a ESC from Freeing in the nose. The added weight also balanced the plane out perfectly. You've likely seen this video already, but if not, here's how it performed after I did the upgrade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GwGxeurpDs&t=72s
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by GhostRydder56 View Post
                                    Hello pilots, I just bought a nexa zero, any ideas where can I get the electric retracts? Thank you in advance.
                                    You do realize that this is the Flightline 1600mm Corsair thread. You should ask this question in the Nexa Zero thread: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...cussion-thread
                                    Nevertheless, since your plane is so new, they don't have stock yet on the retracts but you can ask them to notify you when they are in. Or you could find a set for another brand of Zero of similar plane and see if you can modify them to work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dougcarr73 View Post

I'd recommend you ditch the stock setup... actually, ditch the Flightline Corsair altogether and get an FMS 1700mm Corsair. It is bigger with a tad bit more scale bits. You will need to upgrade the ESC as I did in the attached pic. I put the 8s, 150a ESC from Freeing in the nose. The added weight also balanced the plane out perfectly. You've likely seen this video already, but if not, here's how it performed after I did the upgrade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GwGxeurpDs&t=72s
                                      I've had both the FL Corsair and the FMS 1700mm Corsair V2. I still have the FMS but I sold the FL to a friend, who still flies it and loves it. My FL was stock except for the prop off the FMS V2 Corsair. I didn't need both and preferred to keep the slightly larger, heavier FMS one.
                                      In all fairness, my FMS Corsair had a lot more "issues" and idiosyncrasies than the Flightline. The FMS needed the V3 motor and bigger ESC and I've gone to the V3 prop for more bite. The stock V2 retracts were poorly glued in and easily pulled out of the foam wing in their entirety. The retracts themselves were very anemic, failing to retract or deploy most times while in the air. Did several belly landings as a result. They have now been replaced with the V3 retracts, with much modifications to make them fit. The tail wheel needed to be "clocked" or it would collapse with the tail's weight on them. Control surface hinges were suspect and needed to be reinforced. It is now a terrific airplane but it didn't start this way and required a lot of work to get it to where it is now.
                                      The Flightline Corsair was actually not bad for me except that it too, had weak retracts. Other than that, it was not problematic at all. Every model can have their problematic examples and Flightline and FMS are no different. If I didn't already have the FMS, I probably would have kept the Flightline.

Comment

Look what came in the mail today.

Name:	IMG_2737.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	366949

Thank You Elbee.

I take it that the small alum. rod is for the alignment holes in the hub? What or where does the center tire fit in .
                                        Absolutely beautiful craftmanship.

Your Obedient Apprentice, Rex
                                        Hi Elbee: my Corsair tail wheel came in the mail today. Thanks so much for that! Damn, you do nice work!!!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Elbee
                                          Elbee commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Must gone via "Pony Express"...LOL...that seems slow even for USPS. Glad you like it and I thank you, SIr. Best, LB

• Makes me think we still have the Pony Express sometimes up in these parts! I had a time getting orders from Callie making it up to my house for awhile, probably in part due to Covid. She lost a large number of her orders that were mailed to customers, but never arrived! Things are much smoother now, but that was frustrating for everyone involved. Cody is on one of those low priority routes, unlike sending something to a bigger city like Denver. As the saying goes, "we're not at the end of the Earth, but you can see it from here!"

Best,

davegee

Comment

Working...
                                        X