Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys I got rankled into Honey-do's for most of the day but did do a little on the Corsair. I cleaned the 3-D parts grandson brought, primed Elbee's scale hubs and worked on fitting the scissors on the landing gear, if anyone is using these you can clean-up the I.D. of the sleeves with a #X .397" drill and a 15/32" drill. Just use by hand and slowly ream all the 3-d spiders until they slip on the strut. I need to order some small screws and nuts to hook the scissors to the sleeves. Will prime and glue these to the struts and paint steel. My version gear was not painted white as the later models. I had to fit these all together and get a photo to see how nice this will look when finished. Best Regards, Rex

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2707.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	366246

Name:	IMG_2708.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	366247

Name:	IMG_2709.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	366248Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2710.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	366249

Comment

• Elbee
      Elbee commented
      Editing a comment
      Rex, Looking sharp, Sir. I am onto the Mains soon myself. Best, Steve

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
    Guys I got rankled into Honey-do's for most of the day but did do a little on the Corsair. I cleaned the 3-D parts grandson brought, primed Elbee's scale hubs and worked on fitting the scissors on the landing gear, if anyone is using these you can clean-up the I.D. of the sleeves with a #X .397" drill and a 15/32" drill. Just use by hand and slowly ream all the 3-d spiders until they slip on the strut. I need to order some small screws and nuts to hook the scissors to the sleeves. Will prime and glue these to the struts and paint steel. My version gear was not painted white as the later models. I had to fit these all together and get a photo to see how nice this will look when finished. Best Regards, Rex

Name:	IMG_2707.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	366246

Name:	IMG_2708.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	366247

Name:	IMG_2709.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	366248Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2710.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	366249
    Good Eye, there, Rex! I for some reason I never really looked at accessorizing the gear, other than the bigger , more scale Robarts and the LB deluxe wheel covers. I know almost all of these planes had a scissors strut, but seemed to be blind to its absence. That will really dress up the gear, and you can run a black hydraulic brake line down the strut to the wheels, if you are so moved to do that. IT ties onto the scissors in a half loop fashion, per photos of the real things.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

• Thanks, Davegee. I plan to add the brake hose and want to add the bracket and brake housing also that was fixed to the strut. I will have to make this from Thin ply and styrene because I don't have a 3-d printer. The scissor STL was found in this forum and my grandson printed it in his industrial class. I tapped the scissor holes w/2-56 tap and will bolt them together. Did this today and it will look ok and functional. Got them painted steel so I can start the assembly tomorrow. The ideas never stop on these do they.

Onward and Upward, Rex

Comment

Thanks, Davegee. I plan to add the brake hose and want to add the bracket and brake housing also that was fixed to the strut. I will have to make this from Thin ply and styrene because I don't have a 3-d printer. The scissor STL was found in this forum and my grandson printed it in his industrial class. I tapped the scissor holes w/2-56 tap and will bolt them together. Did this today and it will look ok and functional. Got them painted steel so I can start the assembly tomorrow. The ideas never stop on these do they.

Onward and Upward, Rex
        Good thing we can still do things the "old fashioned way" when needed ! I'll check on those STLs, I might have my guy print them up for me for use later when I get around to my Corsair.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Elbee
          Elbee commented
          Editing a comment
          There is an axiom in the 3D printing community stating similarly, "Everything does NOT need to be printed".

Reminding myself of that thought has saved me lots of time, a dollar or two, and probably a relationship.

Besides, Mom told me to use my powers with discretion and only for good.

• nabeellateef,

Welcome to the site. Thank you for your comments.

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• Making a little more progress today. Still in rough stage but think it will look better than the backside of the Robart hub.

Rex

Name:	IMG_2720.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	366681

Name:	IMG_2721.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	366682

Name:	IMG_2722.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	366683

Comment

• jetfool, Great minds think alike, your new 'backside' does look better than the OEM Robart. Nicely done, Best, LB

ps: Hugh Wiedman davegee jetfool BTW, usps has the new TW Kit coming your way. Yep, it's a kit with no instructions. PM me if you have Questions/Comments.
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee, You are a gentleman and one outstanding designer! Thank You Sir, Rex

Comment

• Davegee,

Once I had everything seated, aligned and fitting perfectly and with axles sliding in and out ok I put a small amout of glue at the top of each strut just to secure for flying. Did this so if I ever need to remove I can just loosen the little glue and not ruin the whole strut body. Hopefully never need too. I think you will see when you install your struts and scissors.

Rex

Comment

Davegee,

Once I had everything seated, aligned and fitting perfectly and with axles sliding in and out ok I put a small amout of glue at the top of each strut just to secure for flying. Did this so if I ever need to remove I can just loosen the little glue and not ruin the whole strut body. Hopefully never need too. I think you will see when you install your struts and scissors.

Rex
                  Hi Rex: I have not taken apart these main struts before. Is there any difficulty in doing that to get the scissors on, or hopefully doesn't open a pandora's box in doing so??

Thanks,

davegee

Comment

• Davegee, Not a problem. Just use a small Phillips screwdriver to remove the pin. put pressure on the wheel while removing to compress the spring and be careful that you don't drop the set screw/pin or you will forever be looking for it. I don't think Motion sells this separate. Remove the springs and I re-installed the set screw back in the lower strut so I wouldn't lose it. Good luck Rex

Comment

• Finally ready to assemble the spacer to the strut. I waxed the axles, then assembled the wheel. Next using jb weld I glued the spacer to the strut and tighten the axle set screw to hold pressure. I will let this set overnight and hopefully the axle will slide off.
                      I started to weather the prop and may need to add or remove some chipping, need to look at my photos. with the scale spinner on I think it will look good.

Best Regards, Rex

Name:	IMG_2724.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	366760

Name:	IMG_2725.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	366761

Name:	IMG_2726.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	366762

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	366763

Name:	IMG_2729.jpg
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	366764

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                        jetfool, Great minds think alike, your new 'backside' does look better than the OEM Robart. Nicely done, Best, LB

ps: Hugh Wiedman davegee jetfool BTW, usps has the new TW Kit coming your way. Yep, it's a kit with no instructions. PM me if you have Questions/Comments.
                        Outstanding
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Glued and assembled the brake brackets and reinstalled to the main struts. Be careful, I dropped one set screw three times on the floor. About 1 1/2 hr looking and finally found it .Whew! Added a brake line and reinstalled the wheels. Not perfect but it looks much better than the Robart hub. Had to add the prop and take a pic. to daydream. Back to sanding the seams.

Best Regards, Rex

Name:	IMG_2731.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	366860

Name:	IMG_2732.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	366861

Name:	IMG_2733.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	366862

Name:	IMG_2734.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	366863

Name:	IMG_2735.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	366864

Name:	IMG_2736.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	366865

Comment

• Look what came in the mail today.

Name:	IMG_2737.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	366949

Thank You Elbee.

I take it that the small alum. rod is for the alignment holes in the hub? What or where does the center tire fit in .
                            Absolutely beautiful craftmanship.

Your Obedient Apprentice, Rex

Comment

Look what came in the mail today.

Name:	IMG_2737.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	366949

Thank You Elbee.

I take it that the small alum. rod is for the alignment holes in the hub? What or where does the center tire fit in .
                              Absolutely beautiful craftmanship.

Your Obedient Apprentice, Rex
                              Lookin' good, there, Rex!! Like the brake lines and the inner wheel piece.

davegee

Comment

Look what came in the mail today. Thank You, Elbee. I take it that the small alum. rod is for the alignment holes in the hub? What or where does the center tire fit in .
                                Absolutely beautiful craftmanship. Your Obedient Apprentice, Rex
                                Thaks Rex, first, cut the Aluminum pin in half to make the 2 alignment pins. Might run a 1mm bit in the holes.

The aluminum tube is the bushing more or less. It can also serve as a guide tool for the hub, but it would go into the assembly lastly.

The smaller 'tire' is the center portion of the whole tire. I had seen tires where the center is the 'groove/tread for the tire. Looked interesting, so there you have it.

Assembly is simple, slightly warm the outer wheel part (warm water 105o or so too hot and you'll warp the outer wheel) and slide it over the hub part (snug fit)

Align the hub cross sections with the holes of the outer wheel part so you can see the spokes, Do the other side now.

I painted everything before I assembled the parts, but do what works for you.

Use a little thin type CA to attach the outer wheel to the hub where ever it touches the hub. Let this dry completely.

Slip a half wheel into an outer tire part and carefully 'seat' it so the outer wheel and outer tire are 'flush' from the out side.

You should notice a bit-o-hub still sticking out from the inner side of the tire. Between the 2 halves there is enough space for the center rubber tire part.

The center tire will glue to the outer tire part and the hub. I used kit 'foam-tack style glue' from the foamies to glue the tire parts together, letting some get on the hub.

I let both sides dry for a couple hours, then glued the other hub/tire assembly to the center tire using the aluminum pins to guide the alignment.

Slide on the aluminum tube bushing using a little slow/thick CA.

Dress the end(s) of the aluminun tube flush to the hub and fit to your TW strut.

Spin test.

You might need to sand back a bit of the inside of the strut where the tire is closest to the strut 0.0625" should do it.

Grab a Guinness, take a picture, post it and enjoy the ooo's and aaah's.

Easy Peazy Best, LB

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1338.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.5 KB ID:	366984
                                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks Elbee. I assembled my tire per your instructions. Painted hub first before assembly and tire looks great. Thinking of adding dirt/dust to tire. Rex

Comment

• Elbee
                                    Elbee commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Yeah, it's wasn't as hard as thermal nuclear physics or even cookies made from scratch. LOL

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2738.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	367018 Another additional detail added and checked off my list. Elbee you are killing me. Love it!
                                  I need to repaint the interior green chromate instead of yellow chromate. Rex

Name:	IMG_2739.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	367019

Comment

• found a pretty good picture of the antenna insulator on the fuslage of the Corsair. This picture was a F4U-2 but same on all models.

Name:	IMG_2740.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	367053

Comment

Working...
                                    X