Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetfool davegee I thank you both. That's a lot of lights on those wings. Better get my butt back at it. Should be easier than the all the MG work, but then again it is what it is. Again, great work, Rex. No need to pour any epoxy, I think I have a solution for the tear drop shapes and it is not 3DP. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• What no 3-D! NOOOOOO not manual labor. Elbee.

I'm going to put a clear cover over the blue lights after the weathering, to look more like the picture. Probally 5/8" dia.

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Hi Elbee: I am certain that those are blue lights. They were formation lights used at night when they didn't want anything on the ground to see them. I'm attaching a scanned page from a book I have F4U Corsair in Detail and Scale by Bert Kinsey. I think the lights you're alluding to are shown in the upper right photo of the right wing.

And, if you're into lights, note the clear teardrop shaped formation light on the right wing only that would apply to your F4U-1A. I had forgotten about that myself, so I might have to make up a teardrop shaped lens with my brand new 3DP tool!

Cheers

davegee

Click image for larger version Name:	Document_2023-02-25_132229.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.9 KB ID:	371765
        Dave, You will receive one with your bolts. Drill a little hole in the middle,1/8" deep from the bottom for the bulb. Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post

Dave, You will receive one with your bolts. Drill a little hole in the middle,1/8" deep from the bottom for the bulb. Rex
          thanks, Rex!

Dave

Comment

• The Dirty Girl is starting to get that worn look too her. The Journey Continues!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2801.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	371832

Comment

• Looks fantastic jetfool! Damn it warms my heart to see all this attention to detail from so many talented pilots. So well deserved with this glorious machine.
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• She's looking good Jetfool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                  jetfool davegee I thank you both. That's a lot of lights on those wings. Better get my butt back at it. Should be easier than the all the MG work, but then again it is what it is. Again, great work, Rex. No need to pour any epoxy, I think I have a solution for the tear drop shapes and it is not 3DP. Best, LB
                  You could do it, Elbee. It's so easy a Caveman could do it.

Comment

• Thank you Coconut and Aros. FL has a good product in this Corsair. Rex

Comment

• Guys I'm assuming that the Victory markings (japanese flags) were only on the left side of these planes. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

Rex

Comment

Guys I'm assuming that the Victory markings (japanese flags) were only on the left side of these planes. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

Rex
                        Hi Rex: I'm thinking in most cases, yes, the victory markings or bombing mission markings were on the LEFT side. However, I have seen a few drawings (not confirmed if they are correct, or not) where they were on the right side. To be absolutely sure, if you can find any pics of Walsh's plane that would be sterling as a confirmation. If you had to guess with no drawings, I would probably default to the left side for markings.

Your latest photo of your plane is really coming along great! IMHO, based on countless looks at period photographs of these airplanes, I go a little easy on the cordite streaks coming back from the machine guns and over and under the wings. Same with the expended shell casings chutes on the bottoms of the wings. I've seen modelers totally overdo those on models. Best look at combat airplane photos where you can get them as your guide.

Davegee

Comment

• Davegee,

Only pictures I have seen just shows the left side. So I will just put them on there. Thanks for the compliment, Just going slow and stepping back and looking. I don't want to over do it. So far everything is flowing together with each step. Haven't started the bottom yet. I'm sure they didn't fade much on the bottom but stains, exhaust , oil drips, and mud/coral really made it look cruddy.
                          I need to make some stencils for the no 13 I told Callie wrong and got them in black. Fired up the engine last night just to hear the P/w sound with prop ticking over, Sounds very realistic.
                          I toned down the gun streaks with lite- grey chalk and it looks better today
                          Probably someone else could do this faster but my journey doesn't have a timeline and thats what a hobby is for. Gonna go fly this afternoon, flew New Years day so keeping each month going.

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

Davegee,

Only pictures I have seen just shows the left side. So I will just put them on there. Thanks for the compliment, Just going slow and stepping back and looking. I don't want to over do it. So far everything is flowing together with each step. Haven't started the bottom yet. I'm sure they didn't fade much on the bottom but stains, exhaust , oil drips, and mud/coral really made it look cruddy.
                            I need to make some stencils for the no 13 I told Callie wrong and got them in black. Fired up the engine last night just to hear the P/w sound with prop ticking over, Sounds very realistic.
                            I toned down the gun streaks with lite- grey chalk and it looks better today
                            Probably someone else could do this faster but my journey doesn't have a timeline and thats what a hobby is for. Gonna go fly this afternoon, flew New Years day so keeping each month going.

Best Regards, Rex
                            You're doing it right with the correct attitude, Rex! Just remember Leonardo painting the Mona Lisa over the time frame of 17 years or so! He probably didn't spend as much time building and painting his RC warbirds, but everyone has a pace that they should be comfortable with!

Cheers

Dave

Comment

• I have been experimenting with 3D printing lately. Got a Prusa mini last week, and also a Plexiglas enclosure to keep dust down. For me, a total Nugget when it comes to 3D printing, it has been a challenge, but Prusa builds fine products and after 3 tries printing various things, I finally got a pretty good looking nut with inner threads as well. So, it will be a slow continual education through trial and error to build some parts for planes like my Corsair and other planes, too. I'd like to start with scale looking inner parts of the wheel hubs to go on top of the Robarts wheels, for a better scale look.

I think this could be both fun and educational, too!

Attached are a few pics of my first attempts and the final finished nut today. I'll try something else tomorrow.

Cheers

Davegee

Name:	IMG-0515.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	371926Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0516.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	371927

​​​​​​​

Comment

• Yea Davegee. Wilbur and Orville started by looking at birds. Must be many uses you can use this for in your commercial endeavors also. The detail will be great in fine detailing your models.
                                Happy for you Rex

Comment

Yea Davegee. Wilbur and Orville started by looking at birds. Must be many uses you can use this for in your commercial endeavors also. The detail will be great in fine detailing your models.
                                  Happy for you Rex
                                  Thanks, Rex. I have but dipped a toe in the water of 3D printing knowledge, but holding that printed nut that I created in my hands, I am encouraged that great things can come of this, in time. Elbee has been great and very patient with my nugget questions on printing, and I just talked to a guy at our local Ace Hardware store today who totally knows 3D printing, so he is helpful on an as-needed basis to ask more of my dumb questions.

I hope to print the inner wheels for my Corsair when I progress to that level, and that should open doors for other parts and projects after that.

Did you make it to the USAF Museum in Dayton this weekend?

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Davegee,

When a person with Elbee 3-D talents takes an interest in helping you learn this new tool I believe you will make leaps and bounds in your abilities to do what you want. AIN"T MODELORS GREAT!
                                    Leaving tomorrow for Columbus, OH, Will visit museum most of the day Tuesday on our way home. I plan to take plenty of photo's No such thing as dumb questions- just searching for the right information

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

Davegee,

When a person with Elbee 3-D talents takes an interest in helping you learn this new tool I believe you will make leaps and bounds in your abilities to do what you want. AIN"T MODELORS GREAT!
                                      Leaving tomorrow for Columbus, OH, Will visit museum most of the day Tuesday on our way home. I plan to take plenty of photo's No such thing as dumb questions- just searching for the right information

Best Regards, Rex
                                      You bet, Rex. And if and when I come up to speed on this new medium. I'll be more than happy to help you master the basics of 3DP if you don't want to bother Elbee. Right now the difference in 3DP knowledge and ability of him and me is the difference between Einstein and an Amoeba (me)!

Have a good safe trip to Columbus tomorrow. Did you ever get to attend the huge P-51 show at the Columbus airport many years ago?

Davegee

Comment

• Not that show but did get to the Indianapolis Corsair show several years ago. I'd love to go to another one. Tremendous amounts of fuel for them to put on a show these days, it's hard to break even. But all those Corsairs flying at once was great.

Comment

• More weathering today, Some steel paint chipping, grease and dirt where the ground crew would climb over to service. Ammo area looks darker in the picture than it actually is. Depicting Ken Walsh's plane after he just landed and had fired his guns so dust covers were blown out over the guns. Next I'll move back and work on rear fuselage weathering. Your commets (good or bad)

Best Regards, Rex

Name:	IMG_2807.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	371989

Name:	IMG_2808.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	371990

Comment