Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been awhile but I have started the weathering. I just have the panel lines outlined in gray pastel and a white/grayish mix pastels brushed over to lighten the paint. The wing walks were sprayed flat black and sea salt sprinkled over. Gives a nice texture. Only the left wing has been started, the right side is what I started with. Think I need to lighten the fabric covered more. Your advice and comments please?

Best Regards, Rex

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2784.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	371525

Comment

• davegee jetfool . Nicely done the both of you. Dave, nice erase. Rex, great weathered walkways. I'll be sending my wings to y'all to finish. Thanks in advance. ,

I pretty much finished one strut/wheel and it all works when assembled, so there's that. Was concerned I'd cut my tolerances to closely on the axle to bearing, but it's fine.

Did a bit -o-weathering on the strut/brake/wheel. Needs a bit more, but it shows up better in person. Kinda like me . More when there is more. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	371531
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
        davegee jetfool . Nicely done the both of you. Dave, nice erase. Rex, great weathered walkways. I'll be sending my wings to y'all to finish. Thanks in advance. ,

I pretty much finished one strut/wheel and it all works when assembled, so there's that. Was concerned I'd cut my tolerances to closely on the axle to bearing, but it's fine.

Did a bit -o-weathering on the strut/brake/wheel. Needs a bit more, but it shows up better in person. Kinda like me . More when there is more. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	371531
        NIce start on the weathering and really love the inner (inside) wheel with all its detailing, Elbee. Adding brake lines a nice touch. Looking forward to more pics as you progress to them.!

davegee

Comment

• Elbee
          Elbee commented
          Editing a comment
          Dave, yes, brake lines are a nice touch and so pronounced on the Corsair that it is almost req'd, right? But much like on any Warbird, including your P-47s, it's worth the extra effort. I used the TPU filament as the brake hose, tough and flexible, but could be a little thicker, Ah, it'll do, I think. Best, LB

• Elbee,

Man that is nice. Do you have whl. brg. on the axles? Like someone else posted way back, I expect to see smoke come out of the exhausts when you fire her up. And guns bored in to hit at 300yds. Can't wait to get myself a 3-d printer. Excellent work!

Come on Warm Weather, Rex

Comment

• Elbee
          Elbee commented
          Editing a comment
          I built a wheel to replace the Robart, so I could use bearings inner and out, I had the 3DP outer wheel insert from before, added the brake parts and had intended to do try to design a wheel assembly to incorporate both. Yep, come on Spring weather. Best, LB

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
        Been awhile but I have started the weathering. I just have the panel lines outlined in gray pastel and a white/grayish mix pastels brushed over to lighten the paint. The wing walks were sprayed flat black and sea salt sprinkled over. Gives a nice texture. Only the left wing has been started, the right side is what I started with. Think I need to lighten the fabric covered more. Your advice and comments please?

Best Regards, Rex

Name:	IMG_2784.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	371525
        Hi Rex: nice start on the weathering of the wings. I like the weathering of the walkways as they were always beat up from the constant walking back and forth by ground and flight crew.
        On the inboard parts of the top of the wings, there was a lot of action with people walking back and forth and wearing away the paint to expose some silver aluminum areas or at least very faded paint in those areas. Also, all areas where there are fabric panels (outer flap panels. outer wings sections, elevators, rudder etc.) those areas really suffered under the weather conditions, causing them to fade to a light grey color in between the ribs. You can give those some attention with the chalks. The chalks eventually fade into the color of the foam after time, and you will probably need to retouch them from time to time to refresh them. Or, if you are definitely satisfied how they look, you can spray those areas lightly with matte clear spray and they'll stay that way, more or less. The gun and ammo bays were subject to wearing of paint and some chips as they were being accessed before and after every mission.

Small paint chips in silver using a pen or a very fine brush can be applied to all leading edges of the wings, cowl, forward gear doors, propeller, etc. You can continually add a touch here or there, as you see fit. I've had my Corsair for about 2 1/2 years, and I added some updates to it just today. I sorta like to think of it as what Leonardo did with his Mona Lisa,. he worked on it for three years in earnest, and then continued to add a touch of brush here or there, for over 10 years until his death. He never really finished with it. I think he might also have been an RC warbird builder! (LOL)

It doesn't all have to be done at once, you can do what you're comfortable with for now, and do the Leonardo thing as you see fit. Much more than most of the airplanes used in the ETO, these planes really paid the price in how they looked. These guys were on the far end of the supply lines. There was no attempt by the crew chiefs to keep them clean and polished, that was impossible. They kept them in the best mechanical shape possible for their pilots so they would hopefully come back safe from their missions.

Keep up the great work!

Davegee

Comment

• All great advice Dave. I'm going step by step and after I have the right wing to same degree I'll put the fus. on and see where to go to next. I'm happy where it is now but still want to do more chipping, oil/fuel spills, fading on fabric, ect. Not to many photos of the plane I'm doing but looking at others in the same time period they were pretty dirty. Thanks to you and Elbee I have surprised myself how this is turning out.
          I will be stopping by the Air Force Muesum Sunday so hopefully get a lot of pictures to show.
          Rex

Comment

Elbee,

Man that is nice. Do you have whl. brg. on the axles? Like someone else posted way back, I expect to see smoke come out of the exhausts when you fire her up. And guns bored in to hit at 300yds. Can't wait to get myself a 3-d printer. Excellent work!

Come on Warm Weather, Rex
            Hey Rex and Elbee: I just received my Prusa mini in the mail today, fresh from Praha! I got the clear plastic enclosure kit and put it together, so I'll start the uphill climb trying to learn 3D printing. I think I got an email recently that Prusa has an online course for buyers how to get up and running. I feel like a caveman just blundered onto Wall Street, or something!

Davegee

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	371550

Comment

• Hey Caveman I'm jealous. Great news Dave, You won't have time to fly now dreaming and making things.

Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Hey Rex and Elbee: I just received my Prusa mini in the mail today, fresh from Praha! I got the clear plastic enclosure kit and put it together, so I'll start the uphill climb trying to learn 3D printing. I think I got an email recently that Prusa has an online course for buyers how to get up and running. I feel like a caveman just blundered onto Wall Street, or something!

Davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed.jpg Views:	33 Size:	147.5 KB ID:	371550
                Dave, Congrats, you'll do great at this; I have little doubt. As in all things, it is about the willingness to succeed by failure. Buy good quality filament, set up the machine as best you can, and trust yourself that you're doing it right. I've not watched any of the new tutorials, I understand these are quite good. If there is any thing I can do to assist, I will do so. Best as always, Steve
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• [QUOTE=jetfool;n371540]Elbee, Do you have whl. brg. on the axles?QUOTE]

Rex, Yes. I had a thought to do this beginning with the detailed Robart Insert.

The inner brake is so interesting so adding that to the Robart wheel was much the same as the outer wheel insert, but it still did not resolve the issue of a 5mm axle on the Corsair strut.

I used to race RC on-road cars way back when and still have all my stuff,

Those cars used 5mm axles and bearings, so I used those, the original Robart tire and the Robart wheel for dimensions.

It was a little more difficult than it might sound, but worth 5 versions and a dozen or so prints to get it all to mesh.

The weight on the pair is 80 grams (<3oz) heavier than the Flightline OEM wheels.

Best, LB

Name:	IMG_1370.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	371630Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1383.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	371631
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee,

That is really nice looking. Your doing your Corsair justice. Trial and error is how I do things too until I get what I want. With the bearings it should roll forever
                    I am going to the Air Force Museum Sunday, if there are any planes you need pictures of let me know. Robin Olds F-4 is on display.
                    Rex
                    Last edited by jetfool; Feb 24, 2023, 03:43 PM. Reason: No problem, Elbee. Any close ups you need? Lighting in there is hard sometimes. I'll take a bunch for both you and Davegee, Hopefully not crowed this time of year.

Comment

• Elbee
                      Elbee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well now, let's see...F-86 Sabre and P-38 Lightning would be interesting as MotionRC has both of those. That'll do if you have time but don't let my wants take priority over your visit. Thanks, LB

Dave, Congrats, you'll do great at this; I have little doubt. As in all things, it is about the willingness to succeed by failure. Buy good quality filament, set up the machine as best you can, and trust yourself that you're doing it right. I've not watched any of the new tutorials, I understand these are quite good. If there is any thing I can do to assist, I will do so. Best as always, Steve
                    Thanks, Steve. You have been an inspiration to Rex, me, and many others who have seen your amazing work. At this point, I don't know what I don't know, but I am going to work hard to get to where I can print something recognizable!

Will keep you posted

Dave

Comment

Hey Caveman I'm jealous. Great news Dave, You won't have time to fly now dreaming and making things.

Rex
                      I'm reminded of the old Geico insurance commercial where they had cavemen in some of them. I hope I don't hear when talking about learning 3d printing: "So, easy, a Caveman could do it!"

Davegee

Comment

• Elbee
                        Elbee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hah hah. What could possibly go wrong? LOL 3DP becomes a hobby inside of a hobby. It is the precision that peeks my imagination and knowing you can really design then construct all those 'what ifs' or 'how about this'. I do not think it is faster than scratching it out, but it more precise which for me opened new thoughts about what was possible to create. You're gonna luv it all. Best, LB

• These are some pictures I'm using to add my weathering . Pic. came from this book. Lots of pictures during the war, good weathering shots of all versions.

Name:	IMG_2785.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	371659

Name:	IMG_2786.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	371660

Name:	IMG_2787.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	371661

Comment

These are some pictures I'm using to add my weathering . Pic. came from this book. Lots of pictures during the war, good weathering shots of all versions.

Name:	IMG_2785.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	371659

Name:	IMG_2786.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	371660

Name:	IMG_2787.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	371661
                        Those are good pics. The leading edge of the wing always seemed to have the paint rubbed off down to the metal on a lot of them. Not sure why that is. But definitely a lot grime, grease, dirt, etc. on the top of the aircraft from those pics. Those are good ones to use as a reference. There always seems to be remnants of where avgas over spilled from the filler port in front of the windshield and it would naturally run down the side of the fuse to the ground on both sides.

If I find any other pics I'll post or PM them to you.

Dave

Comment

• Another photo of the bottom showing wear and tear. Rex

Name:	IMG_2788.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	371731

Comment

• My girl is starting to get dirty.

Name:	IMG_2789.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	371745

Comment

• jetfool Brilliant work, Rex. Question: How did you determine the upper wing NAV lights(or whatever those are), were blue and not white? I've seen these on the plastic renditions, but not in a picture. I'd like to replicate all the lights and was unaware of the colors. Best, LB
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

jetfool Brilliant work, Rex. Question: How did you determine the upper wing NAV lights(or whatever those are), were blue and not white? I've seen these on the plastic renditions, but not in a picture. I'd like to replicate all the lights and was unaware of the colors. Best, LB
                                Hi Elbee: I am certain that those are blue lights. They were formation lights used at night when they didn't want anything on the ground to see them. I'm attaching a scanned page from a book I have F4U Corsair in Detail and Scale by Bert Kinsey. I think the lights you're alluding to are shown in the upper right photo of the right wing.

And, if you're into lights, note the clear teardrop shaped formation light on the right wing only that would apply to your F4U-1A. I had forgotten about that myself, so I might have to make up a teardrop shaped lens with my brand new 3DP tool!

Cheers

davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	Document_2023-02-25_132229.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.9 KB ID:	371765

Comment

• Elbee.

Here are some pictures for you. I scaled up my 3- view and layed them out on the model. They are 1/2' DIA. i BOUGHT THE PLASTIC FoLDERS AT wALLYWORLD FOR AROUND $4, WILL LAST ME A LIFETIME.
                                  The clear light I scaled and made a mold and poured clear epoxy. I'll make up some more and send you some. There was only one on the Corsair. I drilled a little hole in the center from the bottom about 1/8". It looks like a little light bulb.
                                  The wing gas caps were made from styrene,1/2" dia.,Cap on top is 1/4" dia styrene. I need to dull the gas caps some.
                                  My trip is not going to happen until monday (wife wanted to stay longer) so I am Happily working on my Corsair. Just me an the dog. Cooking steaks every nite so far, forgot what pre-married days were like. LOL
                                  Any help needed just ask.

Best Regards, Rex

Name:	IMG_2792.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	371772

Name:	IMG_2791.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	371773