Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks great, Elbee. So much charactor to these birds the more detail and weathering I do. Can't wait to see your next addition.
    Cleaned off the chalk where my stars go and can't believe how much weathering chalk came off in those areas. A muddy mess .LOL Now I will go back and add the weathering over this.

Rex

Comment

• Sunshine shining thru the shop window this morning. Started weathering the bottom today. Lots of coral dust on the bottom, oil seepage on bottom, oil/grease stains from flap hinges, ect. Exhaust shrouds need to be imbedded in the foam. Exhaust shrouds are the original paint that the bottom started out as, sure has changed. Will spray the exhaust stain last. May tone down the weathering tomorrow after sleeping on it.
      Installed the leather strut cover they used on the original. Retracts work fine with this added and the cover looks like my photos
      Still need to add the mud splatters on lower fuselage.

Best Regards, Rex

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2908.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	372715

Name:	IMG_2909.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	372716
      You can see the leather covers on landing cover

Name:	IMG_2910.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	372717

Name:	IMG_2911.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	372718

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
        Sunshine shining thru the shop window...Best Regards, Rex
        Rex, really great work, Sir. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Sunshine shining thru the shop window this morning. Started weathering the bottom today. Lots of coral dust on the bottom, oil seepage on bottom, oil/grease stains from flap hinges, ect. Exhaust shrouds need to be imbedded in the foam. Exhaust shrouds are the original paint that the bottom started out as, sure has changed. Will spray the exhaust stain last. May tone down the weathering tomorrow after sleeping on it.
          Installed the leather strut cover they used on the original. Retracts work fine with this added and the cover looks like my photos
          Still need to add the mud splatters on lower fuselage.

Best Regards, Rex

Name:	IMG_2908.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	372715

Name:	IMG_2909.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	372716
          You can see the leather covers on landing cover

Name:	IMG_2910.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	372717

Name:	IMG_2911.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	372718
          very nice, Rex! I like that you added little details on the bottom like the shell casing ejection chutes . I think you'll find while owning and flying it, that you'll find just a little touch you want to do here or there from time to time, per your liking. I just made and attached small fairings on the forward part of the exhaust stacks. Meant to do that earlier, but when I had it upside down in the shop working on the scissors struts, I figured that was a good time to do it.

After all, the mantra: "you're never REALLY done when you have a warbird, is quite true! Nice work!

Davegee

Comment

• Thank you, Dave

. I value your complement. .

Rex

Comment

• Man that looks good Rex, now all you need is a tropical background and you'd swear it was real!
              I can't say enough about the quality of work your creating.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Excellent work! No warbird looks better dirty than a Corsair. Well done!
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2916.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	372754 Thank you Grossman56 and Aros. Means a lot
                  Identification lights

Name:	IMG_2915.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	372755
                  More pics of the details
                  Landing light. Made with alum tape and a plastic lens. RC 56 glue still drying, takes a few days for it to go clear

Name:	IMG_2914.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	372756
                  Landing gear cover from leather.

Name:	IMG_2913.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	372757
                  Landing gear cover in the down position

Comment

• Installed the shrouds around the scale exhaust. Will need a little filler and sanding then I can weather this. Thank you Elbee for the scale accessories. Rex

Name:	IMG_2917.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	372790

Name:	IMG_2918.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	372791

Comment

Installed the shrouds around the scale exhaust. Will need a little filler and sanding then I can weather this. Thank you Elbee for the scale accessories. Rex

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2917.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.5 KB ID:	372790

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2918.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.0 KB ID:	372791
                      That really looks great, Rex! I really like the mottled look as part of the weathering scheme, very close to what the real ones looked like under those conditions.

The only thing I would correct (and probably very few people would even know) but the proper sequence of the identification lights from front to back is RED, GREEN, and Amber at the very back. But who would know? Looks very sharp!

Click image for larger version  Name:	completed1.webp Views:	0 Size:	17.2 KB ID:	372802

Comment

• She looks awesome, Rex. I remember not too long ago you couldn't wait for Christmas Day to open the box. Now, we're in March and watch how much you accomplish already.

Comment

• Thank you, Coconut This has been an enjoyable journey. My favorite airplane and FL has produced a quality Corsair that has unlimited possibilities. Stock or modified it is very impressing.
                          Retired so I spend 4-8 hrs a day working on it and looking at all the other Corsairs on the net. Everyone is impressive!
                          Still need to finish cockpit and more details as I find them. Spring is coming and impatiently waiting to do taxi tests, system check, engine synchronization, C/G. Also need to fly some practice planes before the maiden.
                          Yes X-MAS morning was exciting this year!

Davegee, Thanks for pointing that out to me. I had it layed out correctly but had a BRAIN PHART. I have since corrected. Also noticed from your picture I had not filled the lower aileron seams or added the hinge covers. Tomorrow I will remove the weathering and start over. I have added the gun camera too.
                          Nice to have a senior flight officer point out I need to use my check list.

Thanks everyone for checking my 6, Rex

Name:	IMG_2919.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	372844Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2922.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	372845

Comment

Thank you, Coconut This has been an enjoyable journey. My favorite airplane and FL has produced a quality Corsair that has unlimited possibilities. Stock or modified it is very impressing.
                            Retired so I spend 4-8 hrs a day working on it and looking at all the other Corsairs on the net. Everyone is impressive!
                            Still need to finish cockpit and more details as I find them. Spring is coming and impatiently waiting to do taxi tests, system check, engine synchronization, C/G. Also need to fly some practice planes before the maiden.
                            Yes X-MAS morning was exciting this year!

Davegee, Thanks for pointing that out to me. I had it layed out correctly but had a BRAIN PHART. I have since corrected. Also noticed from your picture I had not filled the lower aileron seams or added the hinge covers. Tomorrow I will remove the weathering and start over. I have added the gun camera too.
                            Nice to have a senior flight officer point out I need to use my check list.

Thanks everyone for checking my 6, Rex

Name:	IMG_2919.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	372844Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2922.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	372845
                            Not at all, Rex! I suppose some put me in the dreaded category of being a "rivet counter" but the contests I used to do years ago like Top Gun and Scale Masters, the judges usually knew every square inch of your airplane, and would see and mark off for very minor infractions like that (the recognition lights)! If there was anything out of the usual, you had to have it detailed and noted in a scale book that you presented one of the three judges so that they could account for anything unexpected, yet scale to your particular aircraft that you are showing. It was always fun to "zing" one of the judges (rarely) when he missed something or counted off, until you pointed out "page 25 of your scale and detail book" he had in his hands!

In any event, Splendid work on your beautiful model, Rex. With this first foray into super scale, you'll carry what you learned on this airplane, good and bad, to your next project!

Can't wait to see pics of it flying this Spring!😍😍😍

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Not at all, Rex! I suppose some put me in the dreaded category of being a "rivet counter" but the contests I used to do years ago like Top Gun and Scale Masters, the judges usually knew every square inch of your airplane, and would see and mark off for very minor infractions like that (the recognition lights)! If there was anything out of the usual, you had to have it detailed and noted in a scale book that you presented one of the three judges so that they could account for anything unexpected, yet scale to your particular aircraft that you are showing. It was always fun to "zing" one of the judges (rarely) when he missed something or counted off, until you pointed out "page 25 of your scale and detail book" he had in his hands!

In any event, Splendid work on your beautiful model, Rex. With this first foray into super scale, you'll carry what you learned on this airplane, good and bad, to your next project!

Can't wait to see pics of it flying this Spring!😍😍😍

Cheers

Davegee
                              BTW, really like the gun camera and the simulated camera lens inside! The gun strips look great. The armorers did different patterns to show everyone that these guns were now LIVE and ready to fire!

davegee

Comment

• Dave, either you're going to have to put out a video on using those chalks or we're going to have to get together!
                                BTW, are you going to the Swap Meet on March 25th?

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2926.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	372906

Guys I started to install the cockpit today and I also decided to redo the aileron seams on the bottom. First cleaned the weathering off, then added filler. Will sand, add polyurethane clear to harden the filler and repaint. Then re-weather it again. Funny how dirty the original paint gets after weathering.

Best Regards, Rex

Name:	IMG_2923.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	372903

Name:	IMG_2924.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	372904

Name:	IMG_2925.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	372905

Comment

• Grossman56,

Just jump in with the chalk weathering. I wasn't sure at first but as you can see if it isn't what you want just clean off with wet paper towel and start over. Davegee has been a great inspiration to me. Rex

Comment

• Been a few days but I have filled the seams, sanded them out. Applied 3 clear coats of polyacrylic and added the hinge covers. I applied new paint and will weather this area again, Getting down to the final weathering Sprayed the exhaust stains on bottom of fuselage. Best Regards, Rex Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2927.jpg
Views:	215
ID:	373235

Name:	IMG_2928.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	373236

Name:	IMG_2929.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	373237

Name:	IMG_2930.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	373238

Name:	IMG_2931.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	373239

Comment

Been a few days but I have filled the seams, sanded them out. Applied 3 clear coats of polyacrylic and added the hinge covers. I applied new paint and will weather this area again, Getting down to the final weathering Sprayed the exhaust stains on bottom of fuselage. Best Regards, Rex Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2927.jpg
Views:	215
ID:	373235

Name:	IMG_2928.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	373236

Name:	IMG_2929.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	373237

Name:	IMG_2930.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	373238

Name:	IMG_2931.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	373239
                                        Looks awesome, Rex!! Really like that you redid the tape on the wingtips. I never liked that on the model.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Thanks, Davegee. I forgot to remove the tape and fill the seams when I bagan. It looks a lot better now. Thought the exhaust would have more gray smoke but most photos show mostly black.

I fly Futaba but could you tell me your Expo, D/r and settings for the controls. Thought I would start to set up the controls. Do you use a balance tool or by finger to check the C/G. 100mm is what most are setting their c/g at with gear up, upside down. Or should I start with the manual settings. I'm hoping to get a gentle flying set-up.

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

Working...
                                          X