Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring has Sprung here in northwest Wyoming! Had a great week to fly several of my planes: A-4E, F-4N, P-47D, Beech 18, Spitfire, T-33, and today I brought my Corsair out and got two flights on it. Brought my B-2 Spirit, but the winds were out of my personal limits to fly it today. I'll keep it in the truck maybe later this weekend, weather and winds permitting.

Cheers

davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	376752

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
      Spring has Sprung here in northwest Wyoming!
      DG, Lookin' Good, Sir. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Indeed! She's a beaut!
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Davegee,
          Is that Mt Suribachi in the background! Really looks good. Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

DG, Lookin' Good, Sir. Best, LB
            Can't wait to see pics of your new plane on the flightline someday! Wish I could be there to take pics of it on the ground and in the air!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
              Davegee,
              Is that Mt Suribachi in the background! Really looks good. Rex
              Hi Rex: I hadn't thought about that, but is sure could be one of the mountainous areas of the Solomon Islands! There is a Mount Makarakomburu on Guadalcanal that rises to 8,127 feet MSL. Somehow I think the Solomons are a bit "wetter" than northwest Wyoming, though!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Got that right Dave, we were hoping for some rain but what we got doesn't really qualify. Good thing we had all that snow to fill the reservoir. For those who don't know, just to the west of us is the precursor to the Hoover dam, a miniature Hoover, little Hoov' I guess you could call it.
                As a heads up, May 5, besides being Cinque de Mayo was the day that the cease fire was ordered in Europe, May the 8th (Monday) will be the 78th anniversary of VE Day. I don't understand why all the non events like' Donut Day' are marked on the calendar, but this pivotal day in history is basically forgotten. Heads up, VJ day is August 15th. On both days, it's time to dust off the old WWII aircraft and take a flight in Homage to those of the Greatest Generation. BTW, wouldn't hurt to fly the flag either
                Click image for larger version

Name:	united-states[1].png
Views:	311
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	376829Click image for larger version

Views:	293
ID:	376830Click image for larger version

Views:	294
ID:	376831Click image for larger version

Views:	299
ID:	376832

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                  Got that right Dave, we were hoping for some rain but what we got doesn't really qualify. Good thing we had all that snow to fill the reservoir. For those who don't know, just to the west of us is the precursor to the Hoover dam, a miniature Hoover, little Hoov' I guess you could call it.
                  As a heads up, May 5, besides being Cinque de Mayo was the day that the cease fire was ordered in Europe, May the 8th (Monday) will be the 78th anniversary of VE Day. I don't understand why all the non events like' Donut Day' are marked on the calendar, but this pivotal day in history is basically forgotten. Heads up, VJ day is August 15th. On both days, it's time to dust off the old WWII aircraft and take a flight in Homage to those of the Greatest Generation. BTW, wouldn't hurt to fly the flag either
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	united-states[1].png Views:	0 Size:	59.5 KB ID:	376829Click image for larger version  Name:	united-states[1].png Views:	0 Size:	59.5 KB ID:	376830Click image for larger version  Name:	united-states[1].png Views:	0 Size:	59.5 KB ID:	376831Click image for larger version  Name:	united-states[1].png Views:	0 Size:	59.5 KB ID:	376832

Grossman56
                  Good points, Dan. For those who have been (or even if you haven't) to Honolulu, HI and visited Pearl Harbor museums there, you might remember the USS Arizona that sunk into 40 feet of water on December 7, 1941, along with 1,177 sailors and marines who rest entombed inside the remains. There is still fuel oil leaking out to the surface even to this day. The other part of the equation is the USS Missouri, which is moored near the Arizona. That is where the surrender documents were signed in Tokyo Bay on September 2, 1945. There is a little brass plaque on the teak deck to memorialize the spot where the tables were set up for the ceremony. Very cool stuff.

Davegee

Comment

• Definitely cool. Lest We Forget!
                    I've been watching the You Tube Channel History Underground
                    It's no secret that our society suffers from a lack of historical knowledge. That's a problem, so we're on a mission to unearth some of the interesting people and stories from history and equip people with the resources to share that history with others. Watch a few videos. If you like what you see and learned something new, please consider clicking the SUBSCRIBE button and then sharing the knowledge with someone you know. Always learning! For some merchandise options, check out The History Underground Store here: http://thehistoryundergroundstore.com The History Underground is made possible through a partnership with The Gettysburg Museum of History. Support the channel by support the Gettysburg Museum of History Foundation or by purchasing a historical artifact for yourself at www.gettysburgmuseumofhistory.com

JD does some great tours of WWII battle grounds, worth checking out.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	F4U-1A-21.jpg Views:	2 Size:	69.3 KB ID:	376936 Does anybody know if converting the bird cage version to the bubble top version is as simple as swapping the canopy? The reason I ask is I want to do a repaint into RNZAF markings, and the paint scheme of the the bird cage version would make that a lot easier. But the aircraft I'm replicating has a bubble top.
                      Last edited by vonJaerschky; May 8, 2023, 08:40 AM. Reason: Photo added.

Comment

• No. The bird cage has reliefs aft of the canopy the bubble top doesn't. Look closely at the picture and you'll see that the foam cockpit area is a separate part glued in and you can't buy just that part.

FlightLine 1600mm F4U-1D Corsair Fuselage [FLW304101] Motion RC

Comment

• Awesome, thanks!

Comment

• The birdcage version, I believe, had 'salmon' colored zinc chromate, according to the video of restoration I watched. Was that throughout the airplane or only in specific areas?
                            Note of interest, Pappy Boyington almost always flew a birdcage as he preferred them. The marines were never assigned a specific aircraft unlike the air force. The 'Lulubelle' shots were publicity pics.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Most early F4U1 had a salmon corrosion paint throughout. I think they started using zinc-chromate green on the F4U-1a. Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                The birdcage version, I believe, had 'salmon' colored zinc chromate, according to the video of restoration I watched. Was that throughout to airplane or only in specific areas?
                                Note of interest, Pappy Boyington almost always flew a birdcage as he preferred them. The marines were never assigned a specific aircraft unlike the air force. The 'Lulubelle' shots were publicity pics.

Grossman56
                                The Birdcage may have come with an extra pocket for "hooch"
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• If it did I’m sure Pappy took advantage of it. Met him at Oshkosh years ago and listened to his stories. He marched to his own drum in his lifetime. Quite a character. Rex

Comment

• Wow, what a thrill to have met the legend. I've read some books on him. Incredible story. He had his demons for sure, and he absolutely was a vicious one to the enemy.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I got to meet him as well and got him to sign a couple of books, that was at Boeing Field, just out your back door Todd!
                                      I have some pics somewhere, I'll have to find them. It was shortly before he took his last flight to the Great Beyond.
                                      Maybe the Bird cage had more places to attach elastic bands. He used to use them to hold the yoke while he took a nap, reasoning that there were younger eyes all around him to watch for Zeros

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Hey Korsair Kids, been busy with everything that is not RC airplanes for a few weeks, but I did manage to finalize the Strut Door and hinge design

Looks pretty okay, I think.

On to more filling/sanding then Minwax, then...well, y'all know how that goes.

Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Chuggin' along, lookin' gooood!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X