X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elbee,

I am partial to the Motion RC offerings also. parts are usually in stock and they continue supporting there older models. Would love for Flite-Line to introduce a 1600 Hellcat, Bearcat, SBD Avenger to compliment their Corsair. A Zero would be nice also.
    P-38 has many different paint schemes and different theatres of operation which opens up a great choice to modelors.
    Same with the F=86, many paint schemes and flown by different countries,
    I would like to do a Corsair as an F-2-G-2 someday and have Elbee give us a tutorial on modifing the fuselage. For those that want a stock Corsair they could add all the wing mods that have been done and a section on the standard model could be given.
    An F-4 would be great for me as it is my favorite Vietnam era plane.
    Great Idea on a group build, Elbee. Hope it stirs up a lot of interest. I'm in on whatever choice is made

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• I think you'd get 2-3 to participate in a group build, specifically a group build. We kind of already do that whenever a new plane is released. Jet or WWII airplane will knock out a lot, then a big group won't want to build the designated model much less scale it out to someone's expectations (it would be a competition). Stick to WWII, after all this is a Flightline model thread. It can be a model that is already popular. I would shy away from planes that were only seen in one color but with a few markings such as the F-86... Well, mines silver.... B-2, hey mines grey. At least the P-38 was multiple theaters and multiple defense departments and colors. I would mention the P-51D, that's what I'm hoping to be released. Used in two wars (for the U.S.) Army Air and USAF, not all were silver, many other countries used them.

I'd do 18th Fighter Bomber at Dog Patch Korea.

Comment

• Evan D,

Great ideas. I think a WWII plane would be better too. The P-38 would ck a lot of peopleโ€™s ideas. I like the P-51, a blue nose Moonbeam Mcswine would be my rendition
        I meant to say โ€œto everyoneโ€™s own expectations โ€œ. Some might only want to re paint or add scale details and stop when they are happy with it and others might want to do everything they can add. I donโ€™t feel it would be a competition but seeing others do their thing where I learn something from each.
        Keep posting your ideas, never know maybe enough people would enjoy a winter make over or a new challenge
        โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹ Yes, New releases always brings guys together figuring out all the challenges it brings. Iโ€™m sure there are planes out there that have been flown a lot and could use an upgrade.
        Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
          I think you'd get 2-3 to participate in a group build, specifically a group build. We kind of already do that whenever a new plane is released. Jet or WWII airplane will knock out a lot, then a big group won't want to build the designated model much less scale it out to someone's expectations (it would be a competition). Stick to WWII, after all this is a Flightline model thread. It can be a model that is already popular. I would shy away from planes that were only seen in one color but with a few markings such as the F-86... Well, mines silver.... B-2, hey mines grey. At least the P-38 was multiple theaters and multiple defense departments and colors. I would mention the P-51D, that's what I'm hoping to be released. Used in two wars (for the U.S.) Army Air and USAF, not all were silver, many other countries used them.

I'd do 18th Fighter Bomber at Dog Patch Korea.
          ED, I remember those days from a couple-three years ago.

I was envious of the 'group discovery' of what was working and what was not.

I was just getting back into RC as my first hobby and it seemed I was always building one and half new offerings behind ya'all.

I thought it might be fun from an innovative stand-point as I like to do add-on features and design stuff.

Wouldn't need to do too much design work, but it would be great to share things like the 3.5" Robart wheel insert design.

I get a real joy out of that kind of thing, you know.

In any event, building season will be back whether we want it to be or not. and we can decide something, if anything, then.

Best, LB

ps: Evan D wrote, "I'd do 18th Fighter Bomber at Dog Patch Korea."
          Elbee replied, "VERY COOL, Sir."
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Beautiful day but gusting winds 10- 20 mph. Building season may come earlier than winter this year, geesh! Guess I'll just wash the truck. Rex

Comment

• My problem with doing a group build is that I can't settle on one scheme, or one plane for that matter. If you ask me what my favorite WWII plane is, I have six different planes that I call favorites. And then within those there are usually three different schemes that I'd truly like to see it in. It's exactly the same with jets.

A big P-51 or SBD would be fantastic.

On another note, I received my birdcage Corsair and unboxed it. Definitely a new favorite. My wife is not thrilled that it is sitting, mocked up, on our living room coffee table. But it's allowed me to drool over it everyday before work. This weekend it goes out to the shop and will be assembled and setup. Robarts are here. I have to say, this plane is beautiful! I cannot wait to fly it!

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                My problem with doing a group build is that I can't settle on one scheme, or one plane for that matter. If you ask me what my favorite WWII plane is, I have six different planes that I call favorites. And then within those there are usually three different schemes that I'd truly like to see it in. It's exactly the same with jets.

A big P-51 or SBD would be fantastic.

On another note, I received my birdcage Corsair and unboxed it. Definitely a new favorite. My wife is not thrilled that it is sitting, mocked up, on our living room coffee table. But it's allowed me to drool over it everyday before work. This weekend it goes out to the shop and will be assembled and setup. Robarts are here. I have to say, this plane is beautiful! I cannot wait to fly it!
                I think you'll really enjoy this airplane. I have a ton of flights on mine that I have had for over two years and it is one of my favorite fliers. Has a lot of presence in the air and takeoffs and landings are pretty consistent. As you probably already do with your warbird taildraggers, but this one especially, you want to fly with some power right to landing in a two-point, tail low attitude and it will squeak on most every time.

Keep us in the loop on progress or questions as you put it together. Do you have a paint scheme for it yet? Maybe you do and I just missed the post.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Sanexup,

Congratulations on your Corsair purchase. It really is an impressive model. Whatever paint scheme you decide please post your progress. I believe a group build would be fun and don't think everyone would paint the same model but ideas and modifications could be added to enhance the scale appearance. Everyone adding their ideas and experience to whatever detail they want to add. For instance if it was a P-51 I would paint as Moonbeam McSwine version, someone else might do an present airshow version. Enjoy your Corsair.

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• davegee No paint scheme yet. I actually really like the stock scheme colors on this version. I wish whoever put the roundels on had taken the time to do a better job. Ultimately they should be painted anyway.

I would like to try using chalks to weather. I'm assuming you aren't using dustless chalk? Is there a chalk brand and type that you like? Are pastels like a dry chalk? Meaning not oily.

Comment

• The chalk I used on mine I bought at walmart. This was my first time using chalk and I used sandpaper and made dust then applied it to the model with cheap modeling brushes and cotton balls. The chalk was dusty but as I rubbed it in slightly a natural weathering patteren resolved to make it look like my full scale photo's. If I didn't like it I used water and removed and started over.
                      Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• jetfool Thanks Rex! Uh, what's Walmart? Just kidding, we don't have a Walmart in my town, closest thing is Target, I'll give that a shot. I'm hoping to get a mix of subdued colors.

I really need to start making stencils for markings. A 3d printer would/will be great, but stencils are probably the next step I need to take to level up my skills.

Comment

• SanExup,

I most;y used different shages of grey with mixed black added. straight black gave a non-realistic toy effect . I used white to fade the blue on the topside of the plane. different shades of brown for dust/dirt. I used panel line paint for my oil stains fuel spillage ect. Once you start you can get in a flow of what works . Just wash off if it's not what you want. Good luck and post results.
                          Davegee is a modelor expert and can give you better advice than I can but this is how I approached mine with Daves guidance.

A Prusa 3-D psinter is on my list of tools to purchase next. Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
                            SanExup,

I most;y used different shages of grey with mixed black added. straight black gave a non-realistic toy effect . I used white to fade the blue on the topside of the plane. different shades of brown for dust/dirt. I used panel line paint for my oil stains fuel spillage ect. Once you start you can get in a flow of what works . Just wash off if it's not what you want. Good luck and post results.
                            Davegee is a modelor expert and can give you better advice than I can but this is how I approached mine with Daves guidance.

A Prusa 3-D psinter is on my list of tools to purchase next. Rex
                            Rex was a quick study in weathering with chalks. The birdcage Corsair came out very well, I bet looks even better in person. Photos sometimes hide some of the true magic of proper weathering a warbird, or any model, I guess.

Davegee

Comment

• Thanks Davegee. Windy here still but did taxi tests up and down our neighborhood yesterday. Took video of it but not downloaded to here yet. You might get a chance to see what I look like if I can get it downloaded.
                              Have Elbeeโ€™s tail wheel on and holding up elevator it didnโ€™t bounce much on the blacktop or gravel driveway. Neighbors looked at me strange but smiled at an old guy playing with his planes

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
                                Have Elbeeโ€™s tail wheel on. Neighbors looked at me strange but smiled at an old guy playing with his planes
                                Hey Rex, I get the same looks when I taxi around and shoot pictures in the driveway. "Ah, look kids, an ancient man with ancient toys."

I have picked up a 'softer compound' filament that some of the on-road/off-road race car community are using for printing their own designs.

I hope this will solve the 'ground loop' issue on paved surfaces that davegee experienced. I will resend that design to each of you when finalized.

Best, Steve
                                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I keep mine close to my driveway,, if my neighbor backs over one of them,, it will be ww3 in my street

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Hey Rex, I get the same looks when I taxi around and shoot pictures in the driveway. "Ah, look kids, an ancient man with ancient toys."

I have picked up a 'softer compound' filament that some of the on-road/off-road race car community are using for printing their own designs.

I hope this will solve the 'ground loop' issue on paved surfaces that davegee experienced. I will resend that design to each of you when finalized.

Best, Steve
                                    That would be great, Steve. And I would be more than happy to try out your latest design of the tail wheel. Funny thing, I was taken a little aback when I saw your tailwheel with the center section that did not touch the surface, but the outer parts did. I was not familiar with that design for a tailwheel, but figured you knew what you were doing.

Well, I have been working on a 1/32 scale Mustang III model from Trumpeter for the new NASM WWII exhibit gallery, which is extremely detailed. And when I looked at the rubber tires that came with the kit, low and behold, the tailwheel tire looked just like yours! Kudos to you for that! I had always thought it was totally flat on the surface edge, like a racing slick, but indeed you were correct in your design!!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Elbee
                                      Elbee commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      And it could very well be that is a RAF thing or a later model A/C tire thing or absolutely no-thing. LOL. My newer version will be full across, but might include a tread design. We'll see how well the filament prints in detail. Figures crossed for sure. Best, LB

• How the heck do you get the wheels off? I've taken out the set screws on the bottom of the retracts but I can't get the axles to budge. Is there a special trick or something I am missing?

Comment

• Probably lock- tite holding it. Use a soldering iron or cigarette lighter to heat gently. Outside of wheel there is a small c-clip. I removed this to get my tire/wheel off. Put a plastic baggie over the tire so you donโ€™t lose the c-clip. Guess how I know. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Comment

• Set screw at the bot of the strut Click image for larger version

Name:	16882485100157674362625947249767.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	381208

Comment

Working...
                                        X