X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by didier n View Post
    That s sad to hear, my landings are all smooth , running into the grass at low speed was enough to break one...

Thanks!
    Some dont agree but my 2 cents worth... i have around250 or 300 fl8ghts on mine.. andfly from different places.. in heavier grass a 3 point helps.. alot does not look as cool ,, and u do need to slow it down more.. it changes the angle on impact.. does not impart so much back pressure.. on the gear hav fun it flys beautifly

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
      e4dragongunner, jetfool,

I will post myriad STL's when I finish the model.

Probably, add these to the Cockpit series of F-18C files at Prusa Printables.

It will take some time to sort and publish, but all the files will be free as usual.

Best, LB
      Hi Elbee and Rex: It's been a long sojourn, even sending my printer back to the Czech Republic Prusa factory after endless unsuccessful long distance emails with their help line. They found the printer to be working, even sent a few toys they printed as proof. Yet, when I got the printer back after 6 weeks, it Still had the same problem, it would not read any files that I had sliced and made G Godes for. They just wouldn't show up on the printer screen.

Well, today, I took the printer in to my "guru" who works at the local Ace Hardware store. He has several complicated prints he has done, a true master. Anyway, he let me bring my printer in this morning, and try to see what the problem was. He looked at the G-Code flies, and then shortened them by removing a few periods in the string of command language. And, Voila! It appeared in the screen on my printer!!! Oh, Happy Day!

Check out the test wheel hub piece from Elbee that I just printed up, my first on anything other than the demonstration toys that came with the USB drive when I bought it. I wouldn't say I'm there yet, but this was a huge breakthrough for me.

I'm reminded of the old Farside cartoon by Gary Larson. It shows a scruffy man who has been shipwrecked on a tiny island, just barely big enough to stand on, with a lone palm tree. He is in tattered clothes and has been there for a long time. On his feet are sparkly ruby slippers, and a box that had floated to shore saying "Dorothy's slippers" or something like that. There is the good witch standing next to him with her magic wand. He asks the good witch "Do you mean to tell me that if I had just clicked my heels together three times wearing these slippers at any time that I've been here for 20 years, I could have instantly been transported home???"

I sorta felt like that way when my friend at the hardware store "cracked the code" on the G Code files. It's possible had I known about the necessary changes to the code, I could have gotten this thing up and running right away, and not suffer the "brain damage" since I got it in February trying to fix it!

The big thing is that I have a new start and hopefully can start printing my own stuff instead of treefrogs and whistles from the Prusa menu.

Cheers

Davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0829.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	379747

Comment

• Congratulations! You just needed a little help from a friend. Crazy how this new technology can throw a curve ball at you and be so simple. Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
          Congratulations! You just needed a little help from a friend. Crazy how this new technology can throw a curve ball at you and be so simple. Rex
          Thanks, Rex. My friend at the Ace store found this highly unusual, and was going to check with Prusa as to why the printer could not decipher the G Code files, as is. They (the techs at the factory) even went through my G Code files while I was using the help line on the computer and they checked out fine with them, but this printer could not figure them out. Hopefully any new G Code files I can drop the periods (e.g., 35, instead of 3.5) on the codes and then it can recognize it and we'll be off to the races!

I am battle-hardened on the Prusa mini now, so if you happen to get one someday and want to bounce some questions off me, not guaranteeing I'll have the answers, but I would be happy to try.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• I finally joined the Corsair club, hopefully I will receive it Saturday!

Comment

• davegee, Glad to read you are over the hump. Odd thing, that, the Firmware not reading the G-Code correctly.

Never had an issue, though some of my prints looked like the printer had no clue what I had I designed.

Always a design flaw, always.

Your Robart refit wheel looks great, Dave. If print times are not important to you, try using a shorter layer height.

Also, slowing down the print speed will reduce artifacts and increase detail.

Those things can enhance detail, help reduce the visual impact of layer lines, and shorten post-processing time.

All done in the slicer program, though, I can slow down or speed up the print while it's printing manually on my Mk3 (knob).

Unsure whether that is still a feature on the newer Prusa printers.

You might let me know some other parts you'd like to print when you get to that point, Prusa Printables only publishes G-Codes to protect the author.

Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                I finally joined the Corsair club, hopefully I will receive it Saturday!
                Good for you, SanExup! I have had two of these Flightline Corsairs. The first one was several years ago. Got a lot of flights on it and one day, for some unknown reason turning base to final leg, it went uncontrollabl;e and into the dirt. Don't know what happened, although I think I had plenty of speed so it probably wasn't a stall. Who knows? Anyway, a couple years ago I bought another one and have flown it a ton. Flew it a couple of days ago, too. Painted up in the colors of Marine ace Lt. Robert M. "Killer Bob" Hanson who was the top ace in the Corsair aircraft of any country that flew them.

This is really a wonderful airplane, I'm sure you are going to enjoy it. The only thing I did other than adding a lot of scale details like trim control simulated actuators and things like that, was to put some 3.5" Robarts in place of the smaller, harder stock wheels. I think the stock wheels might be ok, but I prefer the Robarts which give softer landings and really stick the landing without bouncing after touchdown (provided you don't screw up the landing!)

Have fun with it, my friend. Lots of good inputs on this Corsair subject and of course many of us are all too happy to assist online with any questions you might have that come up.

Happy Modeling!

Davegee

Comment

• davegee Thanks Dave, I'm excited. I don't know why i waited this long to get one. Elbee's is an inspiration. But I plan on flying it in the stock paint scheme this year and wait until winter, but maybe I'll try some chalk for minor weathering. Definitely switch to Robarts, I'm glad you mentioned it, I should get some asap. Congrats on getting the printer going!! I hope to take the dive some day. They seem so valuable to a modeler, in many ways.

I love this size warbirds. Truly some of the most fun planes to fly!

Comment

davegee Thanks Dave, I'm excited. I don't know why i waited this long to get one. Elbee's is an inspiration. But I plan on flying it in the stock paint scheme this year and wait until winter, but maybe I'll try some chalk for minor weathering. Definitely switch to Robarts, I'm glad you mentioned it, I should get some asap. Congrats on getting the printer going!! I hope to take the dive some day. They seem so valuable to a modeler, in many ways.

I love this size warbirds. Truly some of the most fun planes to fly!
                    I don't think you'll be disappointed, The Robarts I think are highly recommended. Maybe not so bad for this model, but the E Flite 1.5m P-51D it is definitely a good idea. Keeping it in stock colors for this year until you decide if you want to do a repaint or not is a good idea. You might decide it's fine as is. I just had a penchant to make one flown by Bob Hanson in WWII, one of my heroes.

I have been able to print a few parts that Elbee made up, but others are problematic as the printer doesn't recognize the G Codes so they don't show up on the screen and I can't print them yet. There is still a level of understanding that I have to achieve, maybe the printer needs a software update to read these codes properly, but I'll get it eventually. The parts that do print up are outstanding quality. Just have to get over this last hurdle.

Howz the Tetons looking these days??

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• davegee The Tetons look great, when you can see them. I'm not complaining but we've had rain almost daily since it stopped snowing. I had been waiting for better weather but finally decided that rain gear might be the only way I am going to be able to enjoy the great outdoors this summer. Again, not complaining, I know the dry and hot will come, I'll take the cold and wet for a while longer.

Bob Hanson, what a life he lived in his short years! You have to think he was a determined individual, sure seems like it. A true marine.

My grandfather was a SeaBee and built at least two runways that I know of in the South Pacific. Im.not sure where the airstrips were but I know he spent a little time in Tonga and had been to Papua New Guinea.

It's hard not to hear the words of Churchill and apply them to every theater of war of that time. (And most conflicts really) Whether air or land. The sacrifice of so few for so many...

I had heard of Bob Hanson but did not know his story. Thanks for that! I watched Baba Black Sheep all the time as a kid and have read about Pappy. But im realizing that the admiration I had for the Balck Sheep Squadron as a kid was more of an admiration for all Marine and Navy aviators taking great risk and exuding bravery in the air fights off of islands and carriers. It's remarkable what they did then and how it's morphed into what goes on now. Pure admiration.

Those wheels look fantastic! Best of luck working out the G-code bugs!

Comment

davegee The Tetons look great, when you can see them. I'm not complaining but we've had rain almost daily since it stopped snowing. I had been waiting for better weather but finally decided that rain gear might be the only way I am going to be able to enjoy the great outdoors this summer. Again, not complaining, I know the dry and hot will come, I'll take the cold and wet for a while longer.

Bob Hanson, what a life he lived in his short years! You have to think he was a determined individual, sure seems like it. A true marine.

My grandfather was a SeaBee and built at least two runways that I know of in the South Pacific. Im.not sure where the airstrips were but I know he spent a little time in Tonga and had been to Papua New Guinea.

It's hard not to hear the words of Churchill and apply them to every theater of war of that time. (And most conflicts really) Whether air or land. The sacrifice of so few for so many...

I had heard of Bob Hanson but did not know his story. Thanks for that! I watched Baba Black Sheep all the time as a kid and have read about Pappy. But im realizing that the admiration I had for the Balck Sheep Squadron as a kid was more of an admiration for all Marine and Navy aviators taking great risk and exuding bravery in the air fights off of islands and carriers. It's remarkable what they did then and how it's morphed into what goes on now. Pure admiration.

Those wheels look fantastic! Best of luck working out the G-code bugs!

Yeah, Bob Hanson packed a lot of life in his short 23 years on this Earth. The family came from the Boston area, his parents were missionaries and he spent quite a bit of time in India before WWII. He did boxing and was a pretty tough and gritty customer. Extremely motivated to shoot down Japanese, he got 25 before he was shot down attacking a flak tower on a fighter sweep mission. His plane was seen to cartwheel into the water and sink rapidly, there was no chance of survival. Ironically, Bob was in VMF-214 for a short while with Pappy Boyington, and it appears Pappy was shot down by that same Japanese Flak tower a month before Bob and was captured and remained a POW in Japan for the duration of the war.

I might have told you that I went to the American Cemetery in Manila, PI on a layover once. It is the largest American military cemetery outside the USA. There are a bunch of stone monoliths that form a huge circle each 20 feet high or so, with the names of 40,000 US military personnel who perished in the Pacific in WWII but whose bodies were never recovered. One of them is Bob Hanson. I brought some special paper and did a chalk rubbing over his name on the stone. Beside the name of each MOH recipient is a gold star. Hanson has one by his name.

I made a 1/5 scale model of one of Hanson's planes that hangs in the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. The Flightline Corsair models I have had (two of them, one of them surviving) are painted up in the same colors as one of the planes he flew in combat in 1943-44.

Davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-10-31_093815.jpgcropped.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	379927

Comment

• Your 1/5 scale replica looks outstanding! Such a worthy subject.

I got the Birdcage, hopefully they won't discontinue either because I'd like to eventually get a bubble top as well. And put an actuated tailhook on it. I think I'd dive into replicating a particular plane with the bubble top, I have a few ideas there.

Comment

Your 1/5 scale replica looks outstanding! Such a worthy subject.

I got the Birdcage, hopefully they won't discontinue either because I'd like to eventually get a bubble top as well. And put an actuated tailhook on it. I think I'd dive into replicating a particular plane with the bubble top, I have a few ideas there.
                            Both are great. I never got the birdcage but wouldn't rule it out down the road. They should fly very similar, and can do everything that a real Corsair could do, for the most part, maneuvers wise. The moveable tail hook is definitely possible, I think. This model sorta "skimped" on the details for the tail gear IMO, (no tail wheel doors, the hook is pretty much locked in place, etc) but I understand from a manufacturer's point of view and the price point of this airplane, they probably decided that those extras can be done by those very motivated modelers who want to do that. Heck, regarding the birdcage, most of those went to the Marines as they figured out how to safely land a Corsair on the deck, and the Marines usually removed the tailhook due to dead weight that they didn't need to be hauling around while based on remote islands in the South Pacific.

Looking forward to progress pics as you acquire your "bird." It should be a lot of fun. One of my favorite foamie planes, to be sure.

Davegee

Comment

davegee Thanks Dave, I'm excited. I don't know why i waited this long to get one. I love this size warbirds. Truly some of the most fun planes to fly!
                              SE, When/If you decide to 'mod' your bent-wing beauty, I know this guy who would assist with parts. Best to you and yours, LB
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee Thank you, very much appreciated Sir! The F4s, Corsair and Phantom, have been on my list for a while. As a kid, we lived at NAS Oceana for a minute and I'd see F4s and A6s fly by a lot. So I've had to have one for a while. I have a buddy, whose also on the forum, seeing his beautiful version fly convinced me to get the Phantom.
                                And honestly, seeing the progress photos of your Corsair ignited the interest. I can't wait to get it in the air. My delivery got postponed to Monday, rural living. So I really can't wait to just get it and assemble it. Again, thanks! I know it will turn into a project once I fly it a few times. Best regards!

Comment

• Congratulations on your Corsair purchase, You will really enjoy it and the scale details you can add really make these birds real. Davegee and Elbee have been great supporters of my rendition of my Corsair this past winter and Elbee 3=D designs are excellent items to add. Post your progress for all of us to follow your Corsair journey

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• jetfool Rex, at some point I'd like to suggest a build where we are all modding the same airframe. I am rather slow, but it takes a bit for me to design something I am confident to share. I don't want to be that guy that built an add-on that caused another modeler a new problem that wasn't there. I like solving issues and adding scale features that are either missing or not quite right. I know you understand. Best, LB
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee,

I love your suggestion. I'm partial to WWII era but any military aircraft that can be scaled out would be fine. I would like to get into EDF jets (military) so the sky is the limit on what model to do. I'm waiting and saving hobby money for the next Flite-Line model and hope it is a good WWII model. My time in the workroom is usually during the winter months so for me thats when I would spend hours brainstorming over the scale details and figuring out how to do them.
                                      I think we should take a survey on what everyone would want to work on and vote till we settle on one model. Then we could decide how far to detail and what sequence for easy build steps up to a full blown scaled out model. That way more guys,girls would get involved and build to there expectations.
                                      For WWII planes I like the 1500-1600mm sizes, Jets -I like the 80-90 mm size. Just throwing this out here, I would like to hear what others enjoy and think.

Elbee, Like you I am slow on getting parts made and finishing and would expect a full blown scaled out model to take 2 yrs. But if there are steps in how far you want to go I think more people would get involved. Just my .02.

I think Davegee, Grossman, Prekin and a lot of others on here would enjoy a group build

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
                                        Elbee,

I love your suggestion. I'm partial to WWII era but any military aircraft that can be scaled out would be fine. I would like to get into EDF jets (military) so the sky is the limit on what model to do. I'm waiting and saving hobby money for the next Flite-Line model and hope it is a good WWII model. My time in the workroom is usually during the winter months so for me thats when I would spend hours brainstorming over the scale details and figuring out how to do them.
                                        I think we should take a survey on what everyone would want to work on and vote till we settle on one model. Then we could decide how far to detail and what sequence for easy build steps up to a full blown scaled out model. That way more guys,girls would get involved and build to there expectations.
                                        For WWII planes I like the 1500-1600mm sizes, Jets -I like the 80-90 mm size. Just throwing this out here, I would like to hear what others enjoy and think.

Elbee, Like you I am slow on getting parts made and finishing and would expect a full blown scaled out model to take 2 yrs. But if there are steps in how far you want to go I think more people would get involved. Just my .02.

I think Davegee, Grossman, Prekin and a lot of others on here would enjoy a group build

Best Regards, Rex
                                        I think it would be a hoot!

Davegee

Comment

• jetfool davegee and others, I would be most partial to FlightLine or Freewing aircraft.

My 'to buy & build' list includes the Flightline P-38 and the Freewing F-86. Those both fit Rex's criteria.

I have a little money stashed for a "new" FlightLine offering whatever or whenever that might occur.

Trouble is if it takes too long for that to happen, I might be too old to remember why I'm still waiting.

I often wonder whether there will ever be a new FlightLine offering what with the Nexa Line of aircraft at MotionRC.

I bought a discontinued B-17 from Motion, I think it is a Freewing.

I keep hoping I don't have to build it because they came out with a newer one.

I have a Freewing F-14D ARF+ with the MiG-29 EDF/ESC in the build list, but that one will take some time to complete.

I would build something I already have built, too, since it would certainly cut down on design hours, Spittie, F-18C, F-4 Phantom, another Corsair, A-10.

Best, LB
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X