X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
    Corsair Crew, WooHOOOOO! First time on her feet and she's shiney as a new dime (gonna work on that some).

Picture below is the only known picture of BN 50007 of VMF-114 Death Dealers, Peleliu 1943 that I could find.

I chose this livery as I had never seen this photo and thought the livery was stunning.

I found out later that this squadron has quite a history and much of it was lost until recently.

I will post a ewe-toob link that davegee sent me about a family who put together a short documentary about VMF-114.

So to date, OEM Electronics are done, but still some paint work to do and all the extra LED lights (6) wiring to clean up.

Functional servo driven sliding canopy and cowl flaps.

Full 3DP cockpit, Pilot Figure with many 3DP designed and printed scale details throughout the build.

Flightline and Motion just knocked this model out of the park. It just begs to be flown and deserves to be detailed.

Best as always, LB

Click image for larger version Name:	VMF-114 'Death Dealers' F4u Corsair 1943 Large - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.9 KB ID:	381601
    We've come to expect this from the "Master Modifier"! Even so, this one is amazing, especially with the sliding canopy and functional cowl flaps. If you need someone to maiden it, I'll be right over, although that may be the last time you see it! Congratulations, what a project!
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Outstanding work! That pilot figure is amazing, where did you get it??

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• Flightline/MotionRC provided the platform, but you knocked it out of the park!

Comment

• Elbee That is a nice scheme on the Corsair! Looking forward to the flight video!

Comment

• Icing on the cake Elbee! Beautiful!
            Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• Excellent Elbee, well done sir.

Comment

• Just one day ... ive not checked the squark.. look what i missed,, fine job eellbbee.. in fact masterpeice.. awsome in fact great original flight pics too

Comment

• FlightLine Corsair Build (.PDF)

Corsair Connoisseurs,

Attached is a PDF of all the photos I took of my build. There is a section of duplicates and I apologize, seems there was a file within the file.

Special thanks to Aros for finding a way to get it posted to this thread.

If you take the time to go through it all, you will see how many things were done and pretty much how I did those.

I added myriad 3D printed parts of my own design, as well as, modified 3D designs of the P&W Engine by 3DLabGang and the WW2 USN Pilot by Max Grueter.

If you have questions about how I did certain things let me know and I'll try to answer in as few a words as possible.

As we all know, life happens so I want to thank everyone who encouraged me along the way as there were many distractions.

So, in no particular order and with fear of leaving someone out THANK YOU: Aros, Hugh Wiedman, f4u ausie, Grossman56, Pappy 883, davegee, jetfool, SanExup, Peajay5 and EVERYONE else.

Best regards, LB
                  Last edited by Elbee; Jul 7, 2023, 09:08 PM. Reason: New Information.
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Downloaded your PDF to my computer for future reference. Thanks Elbee! Plan to add the Cowl Flaps this winter on mine. Rex

Comment

• Surprised myself( downloaded it) lots to disect,, thnx lb for your hard work.. (again) looking forward to going thru it all,, and no dought finding more reason to b impressed... what an aircraft,,, deserving of all the attention it gets 5789 posts and still strong

Comment

• Originally posted by didier n View Post
                        Hi you all,

It has probably been asked before, but i'm not keen on going trough all the pages again, but is there already an ( aftermarket?) replacement or fix for the weak LG ?
                        Really a shame on such a nice plane...
                        I fell victim to the weak landing gear strut on a hard landing a few weeks ago. It broke right where the 3mm pin goes through that activates the rotation. I ordered a set of replacements. I only needed the left one, but got the right one too, just in case. Anyway, after receiving them, the strut looked different to me. Sure enough, a magnet would not stick to the old strut. Seems to be aluminum. But the magnet stuck like glue to the new ones. It seems the material is a much harder steel than on the original. Has an official improvement been made? I actually ordered some drill rod to attempt making my own struts, but now I'm just going to see how these hold up.

Comment

• Originally posted by vonJaerschky View Post

I fell victim to the weak landing gear strut on a hard landing a few weeks ago. It broke right where the 3mm pin goes through that activates the rotation. I ordered a set of replacements. I only needed the left one, but got the right one too, just in case. Anyway, after receiving them, the strut looked different to me. Sure enough, a magnet would not stick to the old strut. Seems to be aluminum. But the magnet stuck like glue to the new ones. It seems the material is a much harder steel than on the original. Has an official improvement been made? I actually ordered some drill rod to attempt making my own struts, but now I'm just going to see how these hold up.
                          Let's hope it is an improvement, time will tell

Comment

• Originally posted by vonJaerschky View Post

unfortunately, there are stainless steels that are not magnetic.
                            Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Well after some 200 odd pics, ( looked thru) can i simply give CREDIT all and sundry great job ,,lb.. im only 5 or 6 years into this,, but the time and energy( based on those 200 pics and end result) awsome.. a credit to time and patience( did i forget skill)

Comment

• f4u ausie,

I thank you, Sir and your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

The time is a gift; the rest is a labor of love.

Best, LB

ps: there's a lot to digest, i.e., endure in all those pics, I know.
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee I went through the entire PDF last night and I am just floored with the level of time, talent and skill that went into that labor of love. What a masterpiece!
                                  My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Definitely something to behold

Comment

• rifleman_btx Aros, there are times in one's life where a thing seems to take on a life of it's own once it is begun.

One such moment began for me when I volunteered to print the OEM IP STL file for Callie Graphics when the Flightline Corsair was first introduced.

She needed to rearrange some instruments to better match the OEM STL. I resized the OEM IP to better fit the cockpit width, too, as I recall.

That quickly led to honoring a few requests to print the IPs for others and my decision not to do that anymore.

I did offer up a design for the stationary "Open Cowl Flaps" and posted those to the forum.

Don't know if anyone picked up on that then. The design was solid, but someone asked if I thought 'functional cowl flaps' would work and I thot "Yeppers" and posted a picture of a newer design.

My point is, when I finally finished construction of my F/a-18C, I went straight away to the Corsair.

I'd been thinking for months about 'what" to do, but not about 'how' to do it and so the project began at the Corsair's Nose and moved slowly to it's Tail.

You all know the rest, pretty much.

This might sound trite or patronizing but seriously I would not have gotten to this point with the project without your encouragement and that of the community at large.

Life Happens and there are times when life was taking all my free time and BY THE WAY, what is up with that?!

I'm suppose to be enjoying my "Golden Years" or some such nonsense.

I took some time off to celebrate a couple-three birthdays from mid-June until yesterday, and yes, yesterday was my #70...I know, right...I look amazing, feel great, and hardly ever toot in public.

All by the Grace of the "Big-Guy" is all I can figure.

Next up are a few details, paint walkways, add a spine formation light, Callie stencils, some weathering to blend it all, things like that.

As for the first check flight, soon after that I can assure you all. I weighed her and I was surprised at 8.87 lbs dry, which is heavier than I was expecting.

I wanted 8.5 dry worst case, so there you have it, she's a bit chubby, but she's cute.

My best regards to you and yours, as always,
                                      LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Happy Birthday!
                                        You are young at heart Elbee and all the help you have given me and others is appreciated. Can’t wait to start a winter project and see where that takes us.
                                        Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• Happy Birthday LB !
                                          Just to say thanks for all your skills. At our age I've come to enjoy a good "toot" in public, and the horrified looks. Its entertaining.

I wouldn't worry about 8.87. Of my 3 modified FL Corsairs most are pushing 11ibs.wet w/CG @ 95mm

enjoy ,...joe h.

Comment

Working...
                                          X