X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
    I have seen videos of Very expensive CARF Corsairs with the folding wings, folding a wing in mid-flight. It wasn't a pretty picture! I'd recommend just having very stout wing rods in place for happier landings with This foamie!

Cheers

davegee
    Being that the CARF Wing Folding Corsair with a Moki (that you or LB weathers for me, ha!) is literally my dream RC warbird, I think seeing mine fold a wing in mid-flight would shave at least 8 years off my life.

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Aros, it is a beautiful Corsair and big enough to do a full cockpit. Just sayin'...Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
        Aros, it is a beautiful Corsair and big enough to do a full cockpit. Just sayin'...Best, LB
        Yeah, 1:4.5 scale, you could probably get away with a 1/5 or 1/4 scale full bodied pilot and have it look decent. If it is an earlier Marine or Navy airplane, they were manufactured without folding wings capability, so you're two steps ahead of the game not having to worry about a wing folding in flight! I did see at least one video, one was possibly Brian O'Meara's CARF Corsair years ago where the wing folded on an otherwise normal and impressive flight. Man, it was UGLY! Might have shaved 8 years off my life just watching the Video! (LOL)

Other than the wings folding in flight occasionally, I find the CARF planes are very impressive, especially with a MOKI 250 radial engine which seems to be what they are designed around. I have thought of getting a bubbletop P-47 and really deck it out like I did with a few Aerotech planes back in the day. Will probably end up staying with foamies, though. I don't think my ticker could take an explosive crash of one of these beauties!

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Yeah, 1:4.5 scale, you could probably get away with a 1/5 or 1/4 scale full bodied pilot and have it look decent. If it is an earlier Marine or Navy airplane, they were manufactured without folding wings capability, so you're two steps ahead of the game not having to worry about a wing folding in flight! I did see at least one video, one was possibly Brian O'Meara's CARF Corsair years ago where the wing folded on an otherwise normal and impressive flight. Man, it was UGLY! Might have shaved 8 years off my life just watching the Video! (LOL)

Other than the wings folding in flight occasionally, I find the CARF planes are very impressive, especially with a MOKI 250 radial engine which seems to be what they are designed around. I have thought of getting a bubbletop P-47 and really deck it out like I did with a few Aerotech planes back in the day. Will probably end up staying with foamies, though. I don't think my ticker could take an explosive crash of one of these beauties!

davegee
          Hah, I would have to buy a larger house or beg 'she whose authority exceeds my rank' for more space in this one. In either case, I believe I'm poked. Best, LB
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• All the best,, to the squark team ,, nasty twister in missisipi etc

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Hugh, will probably need some nose weight so I'm thinking all flight controls plugged into the RX with a 6.0 volt flight pack & Blue box for the lights only with an Aux 4.8v Pack I'll know more when I do weight and balance, but that's the plan for now. Best, LB
              You may not need it, although the battery for the lights might be a good idea so there isn't too much drawn from the RX. I'm flying mine on an SMC 6200, all the way forward with extra nose weight and still get 10 minutes of flight time. The warbirds pilot with the random moving head would be at least equivalent to the servo draw on your cowl flaps and I'm also drawing amps directly from the flight pack for the sound system and it has more than enough amps for the flight controls/gear. I would have used a 5300 pack, but the extra weight from the 6200 at 814 gr (vs 684 gr for 5300) was needed instead of even more nose weight and the extra time is a bonus.
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Howdy y’all,

Just want to share my dogfight footage in the air with a FL Corsair. Surprised to find I can hang on fine with a small 4S T-28. But I guess in a dogfight, it’s advantageous to be in a smaller more nimble bird. Size does matter, and this time it works in the little guys favor

dogfight start at 2:50

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/motionsic
                Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FPVAirCombat
                Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fpvaircombat/channel/

Comment

• Turbinefancy, watched your vid in the other thread. Amazing footage. I am fascinated by the tech. Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	8F0F1D33-28D2-40A7-8300-DD573C8592D5.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	374707
                    Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                    Turbinefancy, watched your vid in the other thread. Amazing footage. I am fascinated by the tech. Best, LB
                    Thanks LB! Tech wise the HD FPV now is pretty amazing! The head-tracker has been around for about a decade or more. Fairly easy to setup using the trainer function of RC transmitter for input. Pretty easy to understand when seeing it in component parts
                    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/motionsic
                    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FPVAirCombat
                    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fpvaircombat/channel/

Comment

• Elbee
                      Elbee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      TF, Yes, that is better. You know, I think you should start an FPV thread (Maybe there is already one here at the Squawk) unto itself that chronicles what you're doing and add some additional links to your vids. Show us what equipment you're using and how you've progressed over the last couple years. Starting points for beginners, upgrades you've made, that kind of thing. Never know, it might take off LOL...Best, LB

• Corsair Dudes and Dudettes, just installed the LED with the HTDB's adding some filler to correct for my 10 thumbs. A bit-o-sanding, some primer, and it'll be good to go. I will most likely add the color correct clear lenses after final paint, not sure yet. Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Coming right along Elbee. Looks Great!. After many flights this summer you can use it for your X-Mas Tree 2023 so The Sweetie will know where to place your new x-mas model. The lighting will guide her to the spot. LOL Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
                        Coming right along Elbee. Looks Great!. After many flights this summer you can use it for your X-Mas Tree 2023 so The Sweetie will know where to place your new x-mas model. The lighting will guide her to the spot. LOL Best Regards, Rex
                        Rex, copy that. It's a bit over the top for a Warbird, but I didn't design the thing.

Although, I did add ALL the formation (read "Slime") lights to my Freewing F/a-18C along with the Twin Vertical heartbeat strobes and Rear Clear NAV light.

I also included the LSO lights on the Nose Gear strut and AB lights to the EDF.

Point is, I have precedent for such foolishness. It is a great time to be in this hobby.

At Christmas our Christmas Tree has a couple thousand lights that are color programmable and stands 9.5 feet. My little aircraft pale in comparison. Gotta love LEDs.

Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee,

Your foolishness shows great inventiveness. When you throw your outdoor x-mas light switch does it look like Chevy Chase's house.
                          Back to the Corsair, if our weather dry's up I hope to start taxy tests. Rex

Comment

• Elbee
                            Elbee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Around here I am pretty much an elf, whereas Tamms makes the the big decisions. So outdoor Christmas decorating is handled by "she whose authority exceeds my rank" and I am told where to place things. It is an arrangement without difficulty requiring great patience and discipline by I digress. Good luck, Sir with your tests. Godspeed and carry-on .

• <Aros slips through the night like a seasoned ninja, waiting for sleep to befall the LB residence...Without a sound or breath, he snatches his trophy, never to be seen or heard of again. Maniacal laughter fills the air, slowly fades to silence.>

And, scene.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Guys - just finishing up my Corsair and trying to figure out the nose weights and have not flown yet.

I bought it used and currently all but one of the nose weight slots are full of weights - I am using a 6S 4500mah battery all the way forward.

How many nose weights come installed in the plane stock?

how many do you guys have with what size battery?

thanks much!,

Comment

• Elbee
                              Elbee commented
                              Editing a comment
                              SC, 6 weights come with the model. 4 were in place when I took off the cowl. The C of G will depend on battery size and any mods you've made. I'd suggest starting with the 5 weights as is and check CG from there. If you need more weight, add lead (fishing weights) in the last hole or sticky back lead from the hobby shop or wherever. CG is CG. Hope that helps and Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Best, LB

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                            <Aros slips through the night like a seasoned ninja, waiting for sleep to befall the LB residence...Without a sound or breath, he snatches his trophy, never to be seen or heard of again. Maniacal laughter fills the air, slowly fades to silence.>

End, scene.

This explains so much.

Thank you, Brother!

Still smiling....
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

<Aros slips through the night like a seasoned ninja, waiting for sleep to befall the LB residence...Without a sound or breath, he snatches his trophy, never to be seen or heard of again. Maniacal laughter fills the air, slowly fades to silence.>

And, scene.

Aros, I had Tamms read this, she laughed and asked that you please use the service entrance 'round back and don't forget to wipe your ninja slippers.

And like me, believes you have a future in Screen Writing or even grand larceny.

Time will tell.

Best, LB

Still laughing...................
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Well please pass along my gratitude to Tamms for the added instructions to help in my quest. Glad you enjoyed!
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
                                  Elbee,

Your foolishness shows great inventiveness. When you throw your outdoor x-mas light switch does it look like Chevy Chase's house.
                                  Back to the Corsair, if our weather dry's up I hope to start taxy tests. Rex
                                  Good luck, Rex! We got a foot of snow the other day, sun is slowly melting it off, but it is going to take several days before we can fly from the hard runway surface again. Fortunately, I have my Timber on floats and had a great time yesterday making countless touch and go's. while I wait for the snow to melt!

Comment

Being that the CARF Wing Folding Corsair with a Moki (that you or LB weathers for me, ha!) is literally my dream RC warbird, I think seeing mine fold a wing in mid-flight would shave at least 8 years off my life.

I found the video of Brian O'Meara's Corsair crash due to wing folding in flight of his CARF airplane. About 11 years ago.

Brian O'Mearas beautifully built giant scale Composite ARF F4U Corsair with folding wings powered by a Moki 250cc 5 cylinder Radial engine is totally destro...

Comment

Working...
                                    X