Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantastic Elbee. How did you get the foam worms to route the wires inside the wing? Must have trained them well. Are you adding lights to the top side also per scale? Just OUTSTANDING work!
    Rex

Comment

• davegee jetfool

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Yeah. I've wired the "blue" formation lights, as well.

I showed all this to Tamms, she rolled her eyes (again), and said, "that's nice."

Unless it's Christmas morning, it gets no better than that...WooHoo!

There is a channel along the backside of the spar for the Tip Lights you can use to 'pull' wire.

Anything else and you'll need to cut channels and holes.

I use the ol' school method of sharpened brass tubing and brute force .

Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
        davegee jetfool

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Yeah. I've wired the "blue" formation lights, as well.

I showed all this to Tamms, she rolled her eyes (again), and said, "that's nice."

Unless it's Christmas morning, it gets no better than that...WooHoo!

There is a channel along the backside of the spar for the Tip Lights you can use to 'pull' wire.

Anything else and you'll need to cut channels and holes.

I use the ol' school method of sharpened brass tubing and brute force .

Best, LB
        Can't wait to see all of those lights on at once when you complete it. I had to laugh when you said Tamms sorta rolled her eyes and said "that's nice." when you showed her your handiwork. I get that same reaction around here, too, sometimes!😂😂

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Very nice, Elbee! I think those lights were controlled from a small panel in the cockpit and they could all be put on together, or any combination thereof. They also could be toggled on in a blinking pattern for a special "code of the day" if that was in effect. Funny, I have talked to several P-47 and Corsair pilots over the years before they passed on, and I don't think any of them knew what I was talking about when I mentioned these lights, even though they were probably installed and operable when they flew these planes. But still very cool, and definitely was a part of the design of WWII aircraft, including bombers of that time. Well done!

Davegee

Comment

• Our shops are both in our basement That we equally share. HER half+ and my 1/3. She can be sewing and never look up and compliment me on something I asked her to look at. LOL Lov-em-though Rex

Comment

• Elbee
              Elbee commented
              Editing a comment
              Copy that.

Corsair Crew, not certain if this quals as an update, but I have added wiring, LEDs and mounts (not pictured) for the Com Lights.

I have these on my Seafire though those are larger and mounted on the underside of the fuselage rather than the wing.

I am planning on using the blue box to control the "Blink" of each one, but we'll see.

Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1395.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	374433

Outstanding!!!! Should be able to see you coming in the dead of night now.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Outstanding!!!! Should be able to see you coming in the dead of night now.
              I agree, though I am not certain that was the original intent of these lights.

You know it's like a lot of the things we do to these airframes, there seems to be one axiom that is constant; "If it don't go, chrome it."

Good to read your voice, Brother.

Best, LB
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Fabulous as usual my friend!
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Aros, I thank you, good Sir.

And then there's the little "Blue One", too, which is more blue in person than in the pic.

All of these lights will have a colored lens as a part of the LED Holder-Thingie-Dealie-Bobber or HTDB for short.

Best, LB

Name:	IMG_1396.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	374529Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1399.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	374530
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Fabulous!

Comment

Aros, I thank you, good Sir.

And then there's the little "Blue One", too, which is more blue in person than in the pic.

All of these lights will have a colored lens as a part of the LED Holder-Thingie-Dealie-Bobber or HTDB for short.

Best, LB

Name:	IMG_1396.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	374529Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1399.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	374530
                      I just had to order a dozen HTDB units. Inflation has hit them too, on the volatile international markets (LOL)!

Besides the lights, I like your weathering of the top of the wing in your picture. I don't know of anyone else who has come up with ALL the lights that were on these airplanes. I think that will turn heads in and of itself. 👍👍👍

Dave

Comment

I just had to order a dozen HTDB units. Inflation has hit them too, on the volatile international markets (LOL)!

Besides the lights, I like your weathering of the top of the wing in your picture. I don't know of anyone else who has come up with ALL the lights that were on these airplanes. I think that will turn heads in and of itself. 👍👍👍

Dave
                        Thanks Dave, though the wing 'weathering' is overspray from shooting white primer on the bottom. Good thought though. Best, LB
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• davegee If my count is correct, the "Birdcage" Corsair would have 11 lights and the "Bubble-Top" would have 10 lights, though I am not certain if the Birdcage had a LE landing light, which would put it at 10 lights also. Best, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Thanks Dave, though the wing 'weathering' is overspray from shooting white primer on the bottom. Good thought though. Best, LB
                            Do you plan to repaint the top of the wing, in navy blue? From the picture it sorta looks like you've started to do some weathering on the top of the wing, but maybe that is part of the primer overspray?

Davegee

Comment

Do you plan to repaint the top of the wing, in navy blue? From the picture it sorta looks like you've started to do some weathering on the top of the wing, but maybe that is part of the primer overspray?

Davegee
                              Yes, I will prime and sand the wing tops smoother and shoot a mix of Ammo ANA 606 Sea Blue (FS 25042) & ANA 608 Intermediate Blue (FS 36164) just like on the Fuselage. As far as weathering goes, I'll go where the plane takes me. The photo I have looks like a fairly fresh repaint what with the checkerboards and Unit Logos. There are definitely worn areas on the wings, empennage, and fuselage. A task unto its' own and always an adventure. Best, LB
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Yes, I will prime and sand the wing tops smoother and shoot a mix of Ammo ANA 606 Sea Blue (FS 25042) & ANA 608 Intermediate Blue (FS 36164) just like on the Fuselage. As far as weathering goes, I'll go where the plane takes me. The photo I have looks like a fairly fresh repaint what with the checkerboards and Unit Logos. There are definitely worn areas on the wings, empennage, and fuselage. A task unto its' own and always an adventure. Best, LB
                                Sounds like a good plan, Elbee. Looking forward to progress pics, as you deem appropriate.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Elbee,
                                  Looking great. Are you planning on surprising us with folding wings? That would be the ultimate modification. Waiting for further updates.

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• Elbee
                                    Elbee commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Hah, not bloody likely; LOL! And that would be super-cool, but I would think a more traditional spar and rib build would make that easier. I have not seen one of the Corsair wings broken down. That would be the place to start. All-in-all, I want to fly the paint off this bird and not sure that mod would be suited to a 63" foamie, frankly, don't know. Best, LB

• I have seen videos of Very expensive CARF Corsairs with the folding wings, folding a wing in mid-flight. It wasn't a pretty picture! I'd recommend just having very stout wing rods in place for happier landings with This foamie!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

davegee If my count is correct, the "Birdcage" Corsair would have 11 lights and the "Bubble-Top" would have 10 lights, though I am not certain if the Birdcage had a LE landing light, which would put it at 10 lights also. Best, LB
                                    Are you planning on installing a nuclear reactor to power all these innovations , including the operating cowl flaps, or are you going to be content with a 3 minute flight time from drawing all the extra amps?
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Are you planning on installing a nuclear reactor to power all these innovations , including the operating cowl flaps, or are you going to be content with a 3 minute flight time from drawing all the extra amps?
                                      Hugh, will probably need some nose weight so I'm thinking all flight controls plugged into the RX with a 6.0 volt flight pack & Blue box for the lights only with an Aux 4.8v Pack I'll know more when I do weight and balance, but that's the plan for now. Best, LB
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                      X