X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
    davegee, I stripped the OEM acrylic paint off my Freewing A-10 using acetone. Kinda stinky but very effective. I have since switched to 90% IPA, but it takes more time and alcohol, but IPA is cheaper by volume so it is about a rub either way. IMHO, it is not necessary to do a whole airframe every time. I was disappointed I did not do the entire airframe of this Corsair, though as I had paint lifting on the empennage, but that's on me for not inspecting it more carefully. Hope that helps. Best, Steve
    Thanks, Steve. What is IPA? I'm assuming it isn't "India Pale Ale" but maybe that can be imbibed after doing all this paint stripping work!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Thanks, Steve. What is IPA? I'm assuming it isn't "India Pale Ale" but maybe that can be imbibed after doing all this paint stripping work!

Cheers

davegee
      DG,

No, you're right, it's India Pale Ale and your reasoning is correct.

Best, LB................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............Isopropyl Alcohol 91% @ Sam's Club
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

DG,

No, you're right, it's India Pale Ale and your reasoning is correct.

Best, LB................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............Isopropyl Alcohol 91% @ Sam's Club
        Aha! Now I understand!

Thanks!

davegee

Comment

• Hi guys painted my corsair lucky gallon ,, 12 months ago.. was never really happy.. so new paint coming..checks on the tail and nose etc wont b scale. Will do my best..yussamity sam on the nose.... anyway tried to strip all paint with frogtape... or masking tape... got most but not all,,.. trying to keep weight down,, questions r , hav been nervous to put to much paint or primer,, and fill in the nice panel lines,, also iv heard u guys talk about minwax, over the years,, is it an acrylic based product,,, do u guys wet rub the foam,,.?.. here is a start

Comment

• Fru assie,
            I am using Min-Wax Polyurethane water based clear satin from Home Depot store. After drying not much weight buildup. Clean-up is easy with water. Post your process as you go. I enjoy seeing what others are doing.
            Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• f4u ausie I have used since day one. Not certain who here suggested it, probably RCjetdude or crxmanpat .

I liked it since it is water-based and it was Winter, so not much ventilation.

The weight is negligible and considering the protection, weight would be a non-factor for me.

I apply it with a foam brush, yeah, it bubbles a bit, but I just dab at it until it goes away or wipe away the extra with a paper towel.

I do wet-sand with 400 paper between coats the best I can to remove the obvious brush marks.

Honestly, those all disappear with the 2nd coat of primer in my experience.

I am not convinced this will eliminate 'gatoring' on my Corsair's dark paint scheme, but I 'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

Finally, I add one of two finish coats of Minwax over all the markings and then shoot 1 or 2 coats of Matte Clear Acrylic, either Krylon or Tree House (Hobby Lobby).

Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I agree, I wouldn't say, "Oh I Minwaxed it so I'll let my dark colored airplane sit in the sun all day" No No!!
                Case in point: After coating my P-40's wings with several coats and sanding them smooth again, I stupidly set it outside to go grab my camera for some photos. Had an old guy moment and forgot that it was out there, About an hour later in the direct hot sun of a Cody summer, and reflection from the side of the house as well, she gatored up again!! So, I tuck all my dark colored planes back in the shade when not flying them.
                The CAF Bearcat is a case in point.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20220316_095653.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	369664
                She's several years old and spent a number of years in the junk box before rebuild. Still looks good, but she's under cover when not needed.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Elbee
                  Elbee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeppers, she' looks real good. Best, LB

• Been watching u tube again ,,, came across a pic of this , dash 4 u guys will correct me... but i have a good start on this scheme, the checks,,, to many but o well.. i watch good amount of commerative stuff, zeros hellcats etc was happy to see this.... cant recall any vids with this commerative scheme on a fline ..... so goes with my start just gota find someone to do the ,, commerative decal...,,

Comment

• That will be a nice scheme. Callie Graphics can make the decals for you. Send her a picture and she will give you a quote. Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                    I agree, I wouldn't say, "Oh I Minwaxed it so I'll let my dark colored airplane sit in the sun all day" No No!!
                    Case in point: After coating my P-40's wings with several coats and sanding them smooth again, I stupidly set it outside to go grab my camera for some photos. Had an old guy moment and forgot that it was out there, About an hour later in the direct hot sun of a Cody summer, and reflection from the side of the house as well, she gatored up again!! So, I tuck all my dark colored planes back in the shade when not flying them.
                    The CAF Bearcat is a case in point.

Name:	20220316_095653.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	369664
                    She's several years old and spent a number of years in the junk box before rebuild. Still looks good, but she's under cover when not needed.

Grossman56
                    Looks great, Dan. And I have seen it fly so that is pretty cool, too. Since most of my planes are dark warbirds, gatoring is a huge concern to me, and at this altitude in Cody with intense sunshine, it doesn't' take more than a few minutes to damage the finish on the planes.

davegee

Comment

• Yes and especially when it's sitting on a nice black surface!
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                        Yes and especially when it's sitting on a nice black surface!
                        Those were great airplanes, they just came out a little too late with the jet age coming on. Still, they were used as the first Blue Angels airplanes, which is cool. Grumman is my Favorite airplane company!

davegee

Comment

• As to the bearcat being the first Blue Angeles aircraft. That's not correct. The F6F Hellcat was first. Just for the record.
                          first established in 1946 at Jacksonville Florida under the command of Lt. Commander Roy "Butch" Voris.

Comment

• Information provided by Wings Of Fame Volume Private Messages pages 4 through 21.

Comment

• Volume 8. Hate the auto fill feature here. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Spad Driver View Post
                                As to the bearcat being the first Blue Angeles aircraft. That's not correct. The F6F Hellcat was first. Just for the record.
                                first established in 1946 at Jacksonville Florida under the command of Lt. Commander Roy "Butch" Voris.
                                I stand corrected! Thanks for that.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Taking advantage of some pretty nice mid-winter weather up here, I went out to the field again today. I flew my Corsair for the first time since last Fall, and also my T-Bird which I haven't flown much this winter. Corsair flew great, as usual, and the T-Bird is really fun to fly, too. Got about 6 flights on the Corsair, and just one flight on the T Bird.
                                  Attaching some pics.

Name:	IMG-0487.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	369940Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0488.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	369941Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpgadjusted.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	369942

Comment

• Davegee,

Both planes look great. They look real. Glad you got to fly this time of the year. I'm still painting but looking good. did your Prusa show up?

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
                                      Davegee,

Both planes look great. They look real. Glad you got to fly this time of the year. I'm still painting but looking good. did your Prusa show up?

Best Regards, Rex
                                      Prusa should be here by the end of this month!

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
                                        Taking advantage of some pretty nice mid-winter weather up here, I went out to the field again today. I flew my Corsair for the first time since last Fall, and also my T-Bird which I haven't flown much this winter. Corsair flew great, as usual, and the T-Bird is really fun to fly, too. Got about 6 flights on the Corsair, and just one flight on the T Bird.
                                        Attaching some pics.

Name:	IMG-0487.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	369940Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0488.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	369941Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpgadjusted.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	369942
                                        They look great Dave! Old Hart Mountain sure makes a great back drop doesn't it?
                                        The Blues did fly the F6F for a short time before they got brand new Bearcats. Now, if I remember right, that's the first and only time they got factory fresh aircraft.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X