Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adds a finished touch to the rear end. Davegee, I had to sand the inner fork to get free rotation. Just a little to clear.
    Elbee, will you be posting the tie-down hook and the tail gear STL?
    Elbee and Davegee, you both have been a inspiration to me. Got me looking at different Motion Models. The ME262 looks like a fun one to detail. Just day dreaming Lol. Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
      Adds a finished touch to the rear end. Davegee, I had to sand the inner fork to get free rotation. Just a little to clear.
      Elbee, will you be posting the tie-down hook and the tail gear STL?
      Elbee and Davegee, you both have been a inspiration to me. Got me looking at different Motion Models. The ME262 looks like a fun one to detail. Just day dreaming Lol. Rex
      Hi Rex: thanks for the tip on sanding the fork a bit for smooth and free fit. I do have a question on the two metal parts, one a pin, the other a tube. I think I read to cut the tube in half, or something like that?? I Have the wheel loosely fitted together for a fit check, but really don't know what to do about the metal parts described and how they fit in the wheel somehow? How did you do yours?

Thanks,

davegee

Comment

• Davegee,
        Cut the little rod in two pieces. I used a small drill and by hand cleaned out the holes in hub. I dry fitted these and made sure the two halves fit together properly. You may need to shorten the rods so hubs mate cleanly. Then I ca the hubs and press on with the alignment rods inside keeping everything in alignment. After The glued hubs dried I had to take a drill 5/32” and cleaned the glue out so the bushing slid in. Elbee did a good job on this design.
        Found a good tutorial on painting a weathered southwest pacific Corsair. It is a 1/32 kit but gives great ideas Hope this helps
        Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• Forgot to tell you the website. Doogs Corsair

Comment

Davegee,
            Cut the little rod in two pieces. I used a small drill and by hand cleaned out the holes in hub. I dry fitted these and made sure the two halves fit together properly. You may need to shorten the rods so hubs mate cleanly. Then I ca the hubs and press on with the alignment rods inside keeping everything in alignment. After The glued hubs dried I had to take a drill 5/32” and cleaned the glue out so the bushing slid in. Elbee did a good job on this design.
            Found a good tutorial on painting a weathered southwest pacific Corsair. It is a 1/32 kit but gives great ideas Hope this helps
            Best Regards, Rex
            That's great, Rex! After I sent you that email, I looked a little closer and saw two tiny holes on the inside of the hub pieces and everything started making sense. I'll take a look at that website. I've been slowly adding more weathering to my Corsair for the past two years. And some of the weathering is natural just flying it!!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

Forgot to tell you the website. Doogs Corsair
              Rex: are you familiar with the stall strip that goes on the leading edge of the right wing?

davegee

Comment

• Davegee,
                Yes I am. I haven’t seen any pictures of the early bird cage that first went to Gualdacanal. Thought the US started them after the British figured it out. Then they started showing up in the Pacific. I may be wrong (Probably) If you know otherwise let me know and I will install on mine but I haven’t seen any on Ken Walsh’s planes. Rex

Comment

Davegee,
                  Yes I am. I haven’t seen any pictures of the early bird cage that first went to Gualdacanal. Thought the US started them after the British figured it out. Then they started showing up in the Pacific. I may be wrong (Probably) If you know otherwise let me know and I will install on mine but I haven’t seen any on Ken Walsh’s planes. Rex
                  That's a very good point! I hadn't thought about the fact that you were doing a plane that was based on Guadalcanal and not attempting to land on a carrier. I'm thinking that the stall strip idea was still being worked on at the moment in time that your model represents in history. Still, I might see if I can find a picture of an early Corsair with one attached. I'm guessing I won't find any. Carry on, without my distractions! (LOL)

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Not a distraction. Inspiration is more like it. Rex

Comment

• Corsair Crew, By adding 6 markings (3 per side) the Corsair is moving less from mind's eye to finish.
                      It is a bit silly to get so 'fired up' over so simple an addition, but getting here is the journey and I'll take a little reward where ever I find it.

Much left to do as the wings and everything associated are still in the box.

Does anyone know of a good reference for Nomenclature? I have Callie Graphics Nomenclature sheets, but have yet to find a decent reference for placement.

I could have bought a good 1/48th or 1/32 Plastic Kit, but would rather find a placement guide.

Anywho, onward and more when there is more. Best, LB

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1355.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.7 KB ID:	367639
                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Not a distraction. Inspiration is more like it. Rex
                        Rex: I looked through some of my Corsair reference books today. According to what I found out from them, it was the F4U-1A that started adding the stall strip on the right wing, but not the earlier F4U-1s that you are working on. I know also that the marines flying these early Corsairs from the islands removed the tail hook for weight savings. Makes total sense; the Navy was nonplussed at the performance of the Corsair for carrier ops until they ironed out some major obstacles for safely bringing that beast onto the carrier decks of the fleet.

I think one of the first attempts to land on a carrier in-theater was VF-17 (Jolly Rogers) landing as part of a mission that was planned against the Japanese. As you said, the Brits came up with a technique of coming in a left downwind leg to the carrier and then a continuous descending 180 degree turn, while always having the LSO (paddles) in sight. They were able to make a safe landing and catch a wire to more or less safely land on the deck (if "safely" is a proper word for all the dangers of operating this airplane on carriers! of that era!)

So, I think it is probably proper and correct to leave the stall strips off your plane, barring discovering some photo that turns up with them, but I don't think there is, because they didn't need them landing on coral runways.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                          Corsair Crew, By adding 6 markings (3 per side) the Corsair is moving less from mind's eye to finish.
                          It is a bit silly to get so 'fired up' over so simple an addition, but getting here is the journey and I'll take a little reward where ever I find it.

Does anyone know of a good reference for Nomenclature? I have Callie Graphics Nomenclature sheets, but have yet to find a decent reference for placement.

I chould have bought a good 1/48th or 1/32 Plastic Kit, but would rather find a placement guide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1355.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	367639
                          Looking good, LB. Even these first decals make a big impression on most everyone sees the plane, as these are the big ones that really make the look of the Corsair "pop!"

Good question on the nomenclature positioning. I have found a good one for the P-51, but for the P-47, I have had to go with photos I had taken or in books to use as a reference for what goes where. As far as the Corsair goes, I think I used a good plastic 1/48 scale model, I think it was Tamiya or Hasegawa, and they provided good decals and where to put them. I don't know if I still have that decal sheet or the instruction sheet, but if I can find it, I'll copy it and send it to you if I think it will help. I shouldn't have thrown them out, but when we moved to a new state a few years ago, we went through a brutal period of culling old books/papers, We just couldn't bring all that stuff with us!

BTW, got the Corsair tailwheel put together and is now functional on my plane. As you said: "Easy Peasy!" Thanks again!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Elbee,

Only word I can say is. Fabulous! Spinner, Cowl Flaps to the pilots area back to the tail wheel and gear really makes it a miniature Corsair. Well done Sir, Rex

Davegee,
                            Yes that is what my research found also. I have removed the tail hook and added a few panels around the tail, I also filled in the step in the flap.
                            I slowly removed the stars on the fuselage just by rolling it back over itself. Only thing that it did was pull the paint underneath. Not a problem, already sanded/blended in and the base clear when sprayed on should give a smooth base to repaint.
                            Trying to choose between the cockpit next or Elbee s exhaust. Both going to require surgery. Yikes!
                            Best Regards, Rex

Comment

Elbee,

Only word I can say is. Fabulous! Spinner, Cowl Flaps to the pilots area back to the tail wheel and gear really makes it a miniature Corsair. Well done Sir, Rex

Davegee,
                              Yes that is what my research found also. I have removed the tail hook and added a few panels around the tail, I also filled in the step in the flap.
                              I slowly removed the stars on the fuselage just by rolling it back over itself. Only thing that it did was pull the paint underneath. Not a problem, already sanded/blended in and the base clear when sprayed on should give a smooth base to repaint.
                              Trying to choose between the cockpit next or Elbee s exhaust. Both going to require surgery. Yikes!
                              Best Regards, Rex
                              Good luck with those, Rex. I'm sure you'll do a great job on them!! Glad the stickers peeled off as easy as they did.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

Corsair Crew, By adding 6 markings (3 per side) the Corsair is moving less from mind's eye to finish.

I chould have bought a good 1/48th or 1/32 Plastic Kit, but would rather find a placement guide.

Name:	IMG_1355.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	367639
                                Hi LB: I think I can help you out on the nomenclature. Hidden in my Corsair books I found an original sheet of Tamiya 1/48 scale decal sheet for VF-17 "Big Hog" and decals for VMF-111, circa September 1944, the same time frame as your airplane, give or take

I can scan the decal sheet and post it to you, and the nomenclature map that shows where the decals on the sheet go. If you get Callie's nomenclature sheet or some other source for the Corsair in your scale, you should be able to cross-reference the nomenclature sheet with the decal sheet and find out exactly where you need your markings to go.

Would that work for you? I can snail mail the scanned pages to you if you prefer that.

Cheers
                                davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Hi LB: I think I can help you out on the nomenclature. Would that work for you? I can snail mail the scanned pages to you if you prefer that.Cheersdavegee
                                  Hey Dave, Simpler to scan and email me a PDF, Zip-file, or JPEGs of the sheets if that is easier for you.

I will PM you my email address and we'll go from there if that works for you.

Best, Steve
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Hey Dave, Simpler to scan and email me a PDF, Zip-file, or JPEGs of the sheets if that is easier for you.

I will PM you my email address and we'll go from there if that works for you.

Best, Steve
                                    Will do. Scanning now. Expect email later tonight!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Ok I started the surgery on the exhausts. Elbee could you tell me how far out you have your exhaust sticking out. Original sticks out about .100". I also removed the bottom window so I could paint the foam int. green. It looks a lot better than the white foam. Last is the tail inspection panels . Also the stars came off without any damage to the foam and the stars can be reused on a sport model I'm finishing.
                                      Best Regards, Rex

Name:	IMG_2749.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	367745

Name:	IMG_2750.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	367746

Name:	IMG_2751.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	367747

Comment

Ok I started the surgery on the exhausts. Elbee could you tell me how far out you have your exhaust sticking out. Original sticks out about .100". I also removed the bottom window so I could paint the foam int. green. It looks a lot better than the white foam. Last is the tail inspection panels . Also the stars came off without any damage to the foam and the stars can be reused on a sport model I'm finishing.
                                        Best Regards, Rex

Name:	IMG_2749.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	367745

Name:	IMG_2750.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	367746

Name:	IMG_2751.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	367747
                                        By all means, let Elbee chime in on your question, but I found this photo of a F4U-1A in a book I have that shows the stacks cut pretty much flush with the bottom of the fuse. I'll attach the pic, for what it's worth.

Looking at my Corsair again, I neglected to put some blue recognition light covers on the tops of the outer wings and make a gun camera port on the starboard wing. Going to get some matched paints at Sherwin Williams to repaint some of the belly pan that got scratched up on my I Wanted Wings P-47 when the motor cut out right after takeoff and I had to put it in the sagebrush a few months ago. We're going to be in for some cold weather again, so this is a good time to do such repairs!

davegee

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	367749

Comment

• Thanks Davegee. That picture really helps. Probably have them about like the original. Wasn’t to bad to remove and install the new exhaust. They look more like the real ones. Thinking about making the hooks underneath the fuselage from bondo and shaping them more to the real hooks. Simple to do and will look better. Not much weight that small.
                                          Seems we keep finding more details to add after we say it’s finished. Have you installed the bushings I sent to you? Just hoping they fit ok. Rex

Comment

Working...
                                          X