Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
    Thanks Steve,

He is 15 and shy but he and I do a lot of things together. He is always in the shop with me and would build plastic models and watch me build my bigger planes but never took to going to the field. Another member has a grandson, same age and they are classmates, both are getting interested so we old guys hope to spark an interest in them. I am finishing the paint/weathering on my wildcat and think these large foam planes are the way to go. Its nice not to have to build for months, fiberglass and by the time i'm ready to paint and finish I'm worn down.
    If he does a good job on the cockpit I would be interested in your files on the spinner, Your, more scale spinner really sets the model off. He is printing the scale wheel hubs after the cockpit. He asked me what the overall time would be to print the cockpit. Can you give an approximate time for this. Got the sound electronics with plane purchase and when I show the class kids what they are making I hope it encourages them to open their minds to possibilities. Thanks again for your support and encouragement, Rex

P.S. He and I are looking with his Dad for his first car, He has saved over 3000$ and wants to find an old 77-80 Jeep Wagoneer or something that era. Go figure
    Happy to assist, as for printing time, that is totally dependent upon the nozzle size of the 3D printer and the detail setting, i.e., layer height of the print. Does your grandson know which Slicer Program that the Industrial Arts' 3D printer uses? For example, I use a .25mm nozzle and the smallest layer height for the most detail. These parameters will increase the printing time 3 or more times what a standard .4mm nozzle at a modest detail setting would take to print the same file sets. Additionally, does he know what plastic material (PLA, PETG, ABS or somethng else) that the school uses? I can send you the Spinner Hub files later tomorrow. Best, Steve
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Great picture. Glad to see him wear his MOH. Glad your friend recognized the medal and spent time talking
      I would have loved to be there, too! Speaking of the MOH, many years ago, Joe Foss of Guadalcanal and WWII fame, was coming through the metal detector to go to his flight at the airport. The person running the security saw the 5-pointed metal star around his neck and thought it could be used as a weapon, apparently having no knowledge of what it symbolized! Apparently, they had a conversation with the supervisor, and eventually Joe, AND his MOH were allowed to proceed to his flight. I had Serious heartburn reading that in the paper that morning!

Comment

• davegee Only Heartburn? Gotta love our gov't schools I give the benefit of the doubt to most, but 'a weapon'...seriously? Best, Steve
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
          davegee Only Heartburn? Gotta love our gov't schools I give the benefit of the doubt to most, but 'a weapon'...seriously? Best, Steve
          Steve, I think that was accompanied by steam coming out of the ears, too! Not to put too fine a point on it, but as I recall, that was during a time before TSA, pre 9/11 (not that I am a TSA fan!) but the airlines were tasked with paying through private companies to provide processing and security of passengers in the airport terminals. Needless to say, some of those hired, at minimum pay, weren't our finest representatives of airport and airline passenger security!

Comment

• Elbee
            Elbee commented
            Editing a comment
            True, I recall those airport pre-911 days and little did we realize, that was only the beginning. Disclaimer on my part, I believe for the most part TSA does a thankless job decently. I have had few issues other than time which has always been an issue. As for our gov't schools, that's getting difficult to justify their results. Best, LB

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Steve, I think that was accompanied by steam coming out of the ears, too! Not to put too fine a point on it, but as I recall, that was during a time before TSA, pre 9/11 (not that I am a TSA fan!) but the airlines were tasked with paying through private companies to provide processing and security of passengers in the airport terminals. Needless to say, some of those hired, at minimum pay, weren't our finest representatives of airport and airline passenger security!
          Good points, Elbee, and I agree. Regarding that story of Joe Foss having the issue with the security person at the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport, I found an archived article on the unfortunate incident with Foss, then 86 years old, former governor of South Dakota, president of the NRA and Commissioner of the American Football League. For those interested, it is somewhat amusing in spots, and others exasperating to read. But Foss does also describe the background of the reasons he was awarded the MOH by President Roosevelt in 1943.

And, keeping to the general topic of Corsairs, in 1944 Foss took command of VMF-115, a Corsair squadron that saw considerable action in the Philippines.

Here is the link for those wanting to read it: https://www.cnn.com/2002/US/02/27/war.hero.cnna/

cheers,

davegee

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2627.png
Views:	380
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	362674Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2627.png
Views:	364
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	362675

Comment

• Grandson just sent a photo of him printing my cockpit in his industrial class , another 4 hours to complete . Maybe have it in my hands tomorrow. Rex

Comment

• Elbee
                Elbee commented
                Editing a comment
                Lookin' good there, Rex. The 3D Printer appears to be a Prusa Mini. If so, those are great little printers. High quality, lower initial cost and prints like it's big brothers. Great project overall. Best, LB

• Thanks Steve. I gave him all your parameters for set-up. He and his teacher set it up and looks like it is going to be a nice cockpit. What do you do first to start painting, wash with soap and water, sand, prime
              then paint? My first time finishing 3-d parts. I have watched the videos on here and practicing.
              Going to be a great x- mas for me this year. Birthday is next week and wife has ordered the Tiger Tank Pro from Motion today for b-day present. Got everything paid off and enjoying retirement. Rex

Comment

Thanks Steve. I gave him all your parameters for set-up. He and his teacher set it up and looks like it is going to be a nice cockpit. What do you do first to start painting, wash with soap and water, sand, prime, then paint? My first time finishing 3-d parts. I have watched the videos on here and practicing.
                Going to be a great x- mas for me this year. Birthday is next week and wife has ordered the Tiger Tank Pro from Motion today for b-day present. Got everything paid off and enjoying retirement. Rex
                Rex, Other than ABS, most 3D prints using PLA or PETG plastics do not sand well. Depending on the detail level, examine the part for major defects, these can be filled with Thick CA. The parts you have printed are going to need some clean up as the curved side panels were printed with supports most likely. Those can be testy to sand/cut away, but you've no doubt done this before. . You can use a Bic lighter to quickly melt away the fine hairs and goobers if need be. A good off the shelf primer will work, I use Black or Dark Grey Rust-Oleum from Home depot. I usually do not sand the parts after priming. Any enamel, acrylic or lacquer paints will work as long as the primer is dry.

Congrats on the King Tiger and Happy B-Day ! Should be a great building season at your place.

Any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to ask. Best as always. Steve
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Rex, Other than ABS, most 3D prints using PLA or PETG plastics do not sand well. Depending on the detail level, examine the part for major defects, these can be filled with Thick CA. The parts you have printed are going to need some clean up as the curved side panels were printed with supports most likely. Those can be testy to sand/cut away, but you've no doubt done this before. . You can use a Bic lighter to quickly melt away the fine hairs and goobers if need be. A good off the shelf primer will work, I use Black or Dark Grey Rust-Oleum from Home depot. I usually do not sand the parts after priming. Any enamel, acrylic or lacquer paints will work as long as the primer is dry.

Congrats on the King Tiger and Happy B-Day ! Should be a great building season at your place.

Any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to ask. Best as always. Steve
                  Thanks Steve Yeah gonna be a great winter building in my house

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2628.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	362715

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2630.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	362716

Hope you don/t mind looking at a Wildcat. This is my first attempt at weathering a foam model and I would like any comment, good or bad. Think I went to far on the panel lines and wear and tear. Want to do a good job on my Corsair. Regards, Rex

Comment

• Elbee
                      Elbee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No such thing as too far. Beauty's in the eye of the beholder. If you like it, it's perfect to me. Best, Steve

• Oh Boy!,
                    Santa just let me know that I've been a very good boy and I have a special present on the way!.
                    A BUBBLE TOP CORSAIR!
                    Happy dance time!.
                    Boy is the Wallsburg Warbird Works going to be busy this next year.
                    Time to text Callie for the decorations for my Christmas present. Yay!.

Big box with blue tape hurry, hurry, hurry...
                    Aghh...

Comment

• Originally posted by Spad Driver View Post
                      I have a special present on the way! A BUBBLE TOP CORSAIR! Happy dance time!. Aghh...
                      Congratulations! Merry Christmas!!

Name:	dancing-snoopy.gif
Views:	265
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	362985
                      Best to you and yours, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Congratulations! Merry Christmas!!

Name:	dancing-snoopy.gif
Views:	265
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	362985
                        Best to you and yours, LB
                        THAT'S EXACTLY THE DANCE I WAS TALKING ABOUT!.

Comment

• Is there anyway to remove some of the decals I have installed to make a change and not remove the paint on the foam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskey Bravo View Post
                            Is there anyway to remove some of the decals I have installed to make a change and not remove the paint on the foam?
                            WB, probably not. I know that sounds terrible, but no use sugar coating it. I have fixed similar spots with Sherwin-Williams light weight wall filler, primer and matching paint. It is a process. If you pull the marking across itself, rather than up and away from the airframe, sometimes you can lessen/avoid some damage. i wish you the best, Sir. Let us know how it all turns out. Best, LB
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Congratulations Spad Driver. My box with the blue tape is sitting under the tree, Bird Cage Corsair. waiting for X-Mas morning to open. Rex

Comment

• Elbee Ok, thanks for the advice.

Comment

WB, probably not. I know that sounds terrible, but no use sugar coating it. I have fixed similar spots with Sherwin-Williams light weight wall filler, primer and matching paint. It is a process. If you pull the marking across itself, rather than up and away from the airframe, sometimes you can lessen/avoid some damage. i wish you the best, Sir. Let us know how it all turns out. Best, LB
                                  I have found that at least some decals, namely the adhesive, have a reaction to the foam and even when the decals are removed as carefully as possible, there will be damage from the decal being there. As LB ably said, you will need to make some repairs with spackle or filler, sand, prime, sand again, and paint. It is a process, but if you have a special model where you want it to look its best, you pretty much have to do that, at least on some of the decals. Sometimes you get lucky, and minimal repairs will need to be made.

Good luck!

davegee

Comment

• Davegee,

2019 my wife and I took our trip to Florida and visited the Naval Museum. Saw your Corsair and it is amazing. Then we visited the Valiant Museum and I spent close to an hour and half just looking, taking pictures and taking notes on all the details you added to your P-47 that they have under glass. Amazing! I have an old Scale R/C magazine of you and Bob Frey flying it in competition. Came home and added (Stole) many of your details on my Yellow P-47. Your work gave me the encouragement to try more details on mine. For that I Thank You, Rex

Comment

Working...
                                    X