Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• davegee This is at Warbirds Cafe/Museum at the airport right over the pass in Driggs Idaho. There is also a very nice Stearman, a T2, and an L39 that get some 'stage time' in the museum. But I've seen more of the T2 and the L39 taking off and landing, than in the collection. I'm pretty certain that all of these planes are privately owned but are passionately displayed, maybe for a tax deduction? But I'm speculating. I just know they all fly from time to time and a buddy of mine who was a FI out there has had multiple flights in the L39 and the Stearman.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
      davegee This is at Warbirds Cafe/Museum at the airport right over the pass in Driggs Idaho. There is also a very nice Stearman, a T2, and an L39 that get some 'stage time' in the museum. But I've seen more of the T2 and the L39 taking off and landing, than in the collection. I'm pretty certain that all of these planes are privately owned but are passionately displayed, maybe for a tax deduction? But I'm speculating. I just know they all fly from time to time and a buddy of mine who was a FI out there has had multiple flights in the L39 and the Stearman.
      Very Cool! I remember, I think it was Airpower Unlimited in Jerome Idaho where they restored a FG-1 Corsair that had plunged into lake Washington decades earlier. A fantastic restoration job, and the airplane has been on display for many years in the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

The owner of Air Power, I believe, can't remember his name off hand, (possibly John???) flew a P-47 painted up as Hairless Joe for an event in Pendleton, OR years ago. I finished a work trip in Portland and drove to Pendleton to see him and the plane. He was very gracious, let me sit in the cockpit and I took a ton of pics of the plane all around, in and out. I was building a competition gasser of Hairless Joe and this was fantastic reference photo material I got to embellish my model.

Comment

• davegee Very cool! It pleases me that there are dedicated people restoring and maintaining these old planes. And that the shared passion seems to be a great motivation, in addition to flying them I'm sure. I guess I'm getting more sentimental with age but I feel it's important to save and display these iconic planes!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/el...air#post350218

GT, Check this thread I started a week or so ago. Dave and Chris both suggested the same technique. And it worked for me, though I need a bit more airbrush time to perfect it. My tape line was very straight so even with a 'soft edge' it looks very straight. I like it, but probably not scale. Best, LB
          Thanks, I ordered the foam tape. Local parts store wanted $35+ over what it was going for on Amazon. Looking forward to trying this out.

The Corsair looks fantastic

Comment

• Elbee
            Elbee commented
            Editing a comment
            GT, Excellent and I thank you, kind Sir. Best, LB

• Elbee, enjoyed reading your progress reports just now. What a beauty that plane will be. Flew mine this morning with a few other club member’s warbirds. Click image for larger version

Name:	F61D758A-045A-4510-9939-4D4226D45A2D.jpeg
Views:	450
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	350615

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
            Elbee, enjoyed reading...]
            E6. Thanks. Your Corsair is a beauty. I do have a question, which paints did you use and were those ANA (FS) matches? I know about different lighting and many times most photos are not completely color accurate, your tri-color looks good in your pictures. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

E6. Thanks. Your Corsair is a beauty. I do have a question, which paints did you use and were those ANA (FS) matches? I know about different lighting and many times most photos are not completely color accurate, your tri-color looks good in your pictures. Best, LB
              Honestly, I went to Home Depot and matched the model’s original dark blue, and picked out the medium color and the grey from a chart. Guess I got lucky!

Comment

• Elbee
                Elbee commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe ya. I did similarly when I began this project, I then found the Mig Ammo ANA set. I had gotten pretty close, too. In any event you did well. Best, Steve

• Bent-Wing Brethren, busy week here, but did get the new exhaust stacks in place. Doing a bit-o-fill and touch up paint. Hope to get the Sea Blue started yet this weekend. More when there is more. Best, LB
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Bent-Wing Brethren, busy week here, but did get the new exhaust stacks in place. Doing a bit-o-fill and touch up paint. Hope to get the Sea Blue started yet this weekend. More when there is more. Best, LB
                Nice work, I'm expecting black smoke to pour out on startup!
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Nice work, I'm expecting black smoke to pour out on startup!
                  I think he's working on a miniature Coffman Cartridge Starter to fire up that bad boy like they did in the Pacific in WWII!🤣🤣

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	351211

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman davegee Belching smoke and "Pop-Bang-kachuka-kachuka-whir" What great ideas. Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Hugh Wiedman davegee Belching smoke and "Pop-Bang-kachuka-kachuka-whir" What great ideas. Best, LB
                      A good friend of mine's dad was a marine Corsair mechanic in the Solomons during WWII. The cartridge starter was standard operations for flying from those remote islands back then!

Yes, well said! "Pop-Bang-kachuka-kachuka-whir" is a good approximation! Plus, add copious amounts of black smoke, per Hugh!👍😁

Comment

• Hey all, I airbrushed first layer of Sea Blue. This poor girl hasn't been this blue since last October. (Insert Smilies) I will add a 2nd layer in a day or so after a light wet sanding. The color is certainly not a weathered blue to start. In my picture, the airframe looks to have fairly fresh paint, but it is definitely weathered some. I suppose when the checkers and squadron logo was added, it might have gotten a freshening, don't know. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_1173.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	351254
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Hey all, I airbrushed first layer of Sea Blue. This poor girl hasn't been this blue since last October. (Insert Smilies) I will add a 2nd layer in a day or so after a light wet sanding. The color is certainly not a weathered blue to start. In my picture, the airframe looks to have fairly fresh paint, but it is definitely weathered some. I suppose when the checkers and squadron logo was added, it might have gotten a freshening, don't know. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_1173.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	351254
                          Hi Elbee: just from looking at the picture, your colors "seem" to be about right. You know how deceiving a photo and light conditions can be, but I'm liking the colors you have on it. Carry On, my man!!👍

Question: to you and anyone else out there: Why did they paint the underneath of the outer wing panels the intermediate blue that you have as the lighter blue on your fuselage? I know the answer, maybe a lot of others do, too, not sure.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Hi Elbee: just from looking at the picture, your colors "seem" to be about right. You know how deceiving a photo and light conditions can be, but I'm liking the colors you have on it. Carry On, my man!!👍

Question: to you and anyone else out there: Why did they paint the underneath of the outer wing panels the intermediate blue that you have as the lighter blue on your fuselage? I know the answer, maybe a lot of others do, too, not sure.

Cheers

davegee
                            Dave,

1) The picture I posted shows the blues much lighter than actual. So, you might be correct, Sir.

2) I believe it was done to change the intensity and contrast of the white when the wings were folded up while the aircraft were stored on the deck of an aircraft carrier.
                            Lower visibility from the side angles and from the top downward.
                            Not that you can easily hide a carrier, but a reflection off the white to a recon aircraft or boat would be easier to see from further away, I am certain.
                            Reference photos I used for my F-18C are the same. The folded portion of the underwing is painted gray like the upper surfaces.

Best, Steve
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Dave,

1) The picture I posted shows the blues much lighter than actual. So, you might be correct, Sir.

2) I believe it was done to change the intensity and contrast of the white when the wings were folded up while the aircraft were stored on the deck of an aircraft carrier.
                              Lower visibility from the side angles and from the top downward.
                              Not that you can easily hide a carrier, but a reflection off the white to a recon aircraft or boat would be easier to see from further away, I am certain.
                              Reference photos I used for my F-18C are the same. The folded portion of the underwing is painted gray like the upper surfaces.

Best, Steve
                              You're right on the button! As you say, probably hard to hide an aircraft carrier, but I guess they figured at the time that when the wings are folded on the flight deck, that those areas would be less visible than had they been painted white. Of course, that beautiful color scheme (IMHO) didn't fare well in the extreme conditions of the South Pacific, so the entire aircraft were painted the sea blue later in the war. Don't know if that color on folded wings on the carrier was any better, or worse.

cheers

davegee

Comment

• HI Ya'all, so, I am airbrushing more Sea Blue (Ammo by Mig) and I get this strange artifact in the paint. It dawns on me that location is a magnet location for the battery hatch. Logic dictates there is ferrite in the Sea Blue paint. I grabbed a bigger magnet and held it next to my waste airbrush alcohol bottle and sure enough all the pigment in the bottom moved left-right-up-down. Remarkable to me, but paint gets its color from all types of places. Not sure how to fix the mark, will try hand brushing it in or Tamms said, hey just leave it. It is a good story. Best, :LB

Name:	IMG_1180.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	351390
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

HI Ya'all, so, I am airbrushing more Sea Blue (Ammo by Mig) and I get this strange artifact in the paint. It dawns on me that location is a magnet location for the battery hatch. Logic dictates there is ferrite in the Sea Blue paint. I grabbed a bigger magnet and held it next to my waste airbrush alcohol bottle and sure enough all the pigment in the bottom moved left-right-up-down. Remarkable to me, but paint gets its color from all types of places. Not sure how to fix the mark, will try hand brushing it in or Tamms said, hey just leave it. It is a good story. Best, :LB

Name:	IMG_1180.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	351390
                                  That is a strange one, with that pattern and everything! Fortunately, it is very small on a particular panel that could be masked off and resprayed or hand painted so as to leave no trace, other than this photo. I had not come across this phenomenon before!

Good luck, whatever you do!

Davegee

Comment

• Elbee
                                    Elbee commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    The magnet is .25" cube. It magnetized the paint immediately when sprayed. I saw the pattern and cracked up.

• Amazing! Good headwork on using the magnet on the inside and another one to pull the hatch off from the top. Very unexpected results with the magnet on the paint! But maybe hand painting that little square with a good brush that doesn't leave brushmarks, or very little of them, might be your solution.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• I wonder if it would help to remove the magnet and repaint, let it thoroughly dry then replace the magnet. Maybe reverse the magnet and metal so that the magnet is on the fuse and the metal piece is on the hatch. Just brainstorming....

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                    X