Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
    Steve,
    Just signed up on hobbysquak today. I am planning on ordering the birdcage(F4U-1) for x-mas and was wondering if you could send the cockpit files for the birdcage version. I have read everything on the Motion Corsair I can find on the net and this is my favorite plane. This plane sounds like the ultimate kit out there today in electric scale. Thank you in advance Rex
    https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...wingspan/page2

Hey Rex, welcome to "the Squawk". Check this link to page 2 of this forum and go to Post #24. Alpha posted the OEM STL files there originally. Go through those and if those are satisfactory, print away. If those are not the groups you are looking for, PM me and I will send you the other set. Hope this helps. Best regards, Steve
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thank you Steve just what I was looking for. Rex

Comment

• Elbee
        Elbee commented
        Editing a comment
        You are welcome, Sir.

• Just got back from indoor flying at the High School Gym. Met the robotics teacher and his class will print my cockpit on their 3-d printer. Gives his students a job to see something that will be used. No cost for them to do it. Rex

Comment

Just got back from indoor flying at the High School Gym. Met the robotics teacher and his class will print my cockpit on their 3-d printer. Gives his students a job to see something that will be used. No cost for them to do it. Rex
        Rex, I think that is great. Possible history lesson for the students as well. FYI, Callie Graphics has a very good instrument graphic for the IP. Also, you will need to do some foam surgery to get a decent fit. There are several posts about that in this forum, but you'll have to do some research to find those. Post pics when you are able. Best, Steve
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Steve,
          I have been reading through all the posts and getting a lot of info from these. One question I have , are the control throws that everyone is using per the motion manual or are there better set-ups? I like to fly scale and not 3-D manuvers and hope the corsair flys scale. Better get this ordered before I give myself a heart attack from enthusiasm. Should I order the extra strength landing gear supports with my order, seems like this area is the most common problem on this plane. I have been building 1/5,1/4 scale models the last few years and want to just detail the F4U out this winter and rejuvenate from building. I have a few builds on RSCB under my call sign. Thank you for replying to my questions Rex

Comment

• Rex, I am still modifying and repainting my Flightline Corsair, so I do not have those suggestions to give.
            Hugh Wiedman is my go to guy with respect to all aspects of "set up" intel and has modified his Corsair extensively and flies it often.
            Perhaps you can enlist his advice as well.
            I do not believe you'll have difficulty flying this model though I am aware that she is quite torque-y on the ground and at slower speeds.
            That is to be expected with electric power and swinging that large prop.
            Are you doing a repaint? Also, forgive my ignorance, what organization is RSCB?
            Best, Steve
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Steve,

Thanks for your reply. My builds are on Radio Control Scale Builder.com . Just placed my order with Motion and ordered an extra prop,battery and the gear upgrad plates. Ordered the nomenclature from Callie. Planning on Ken Walsh or Marines Dream, hopefully not too much repainting. Plan to weather it and out-line the details. I also have 3.5" robarts that I might install. Would you post some pictures of your current Corsair to give me an idea of how your doing things. Rex

Comment

• Rex, Doh, I should have noodled the acronym myself, I think I had a subscription to that magazine or was it Scale RC Modeler? I'll check your posts out!

In any event, if you go through the posts here you can get a good idea of what others, including myself, have been doing since the release.

In order to make this less painful, i.e., going through eeevvveerry page of posts, I have a tip:

Go to the top right-hand side of this page and "click'on "FILTER".
                There is a drop menu that allows you to look at Photos only or docs only and so on.
                Click the "Photos Only" tab.
                Now you are able to scroll through all the posts with photos.
                Look at post #52 by Tim K or find Tim K's post (it might be different in your forum. It's weird that way). He both cut foam and added structure and trimmed the 3DP parts some, as I recall.
                All-in-all good pics throughout showing what others have been doing.
                I have done a few mods to my Corsair as you will see in the thread. It is the journey and not always the destination, I've been told.

If you use your Robart 3.5" wheels, I have included 2 STL files of a wheel/hub insert I designed. This adds a bit more detail than the OEM.

The design prints well and fits great. Best, LB

3.5RobartWheel_HubOnly.zip

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0868.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.9 KB ID:	361266

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1226.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.9 KB ID:	361265
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• jetfool It seems I am a Member at RC Scale Builder under my own name. Go figure. I will need to get over there more often. What's your moniker there? Best, LB
                  Attached Files
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• My moniker at RCSB is Jetfool. I have three builds on there and I am working on the F4b this winter, hope to have it ready for next season. I usually cut my parts by hand and cockpit details are scratched too. Retired so take my time. Thanks for the wheel hub I will give the Hs kids something to do. Plan on keeping them updated on the build of my Corsair and want to take it to their class when done. Who knows might encourage some to get involved in rc or an aviation career. Rex

Comment

• Beautiful work. I can"t get the attachments to down- load could you send them again. Your fuselage looks great, love the open canopy. Is it movable or fixed? Would like to make mine to open if possible. I have a parkzone Corsair with retracts and the Banana Hobby Wildcat. They both fly great, retracts up or down. Glued the Wildcat canopy open and looks realistic in a fly-by. Both retracts have held up well with no problems. Rex

Comment

• Elbee
                        Elbee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Rex, the canopy slides backward/forward and is servo driven. The cowling flaps open/close and are servo driven, as well. Best, Steve

Beautiful work. I can"t get the attachments to down- load .....Rex
                      Rex, right click on the zip file in the post and select Open In a New Tab, from there save it to your desktop. To open the STL files you need a Slicer Program. I recommend Prusa Slicer and it is free to download. Any Q/C let me know. Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Steve,
                        I have been reading through all the posts and getting a lot of info from these. One question I have , are the control throws that everyone is using per the motion manual or are there better set-ups? I like to fly scale and not 3-D manuvers and hope the corsair flys scale. Better get this ordered before I give myself a heart attack from enthusiasm. Should I order the extra strength landing gear supports with my order, seems like this area is the most common problem on this plane. I have been building 1/5,1/4 scale models the last few years and want to just detail the F4U out this winter and rejuvenate from building. I have a few builds on RSCB under my call sign. Thank you for replying to my questions Rex
                        I think you'll love this plane. Flies very well scale. Like most of these prop warbird tail draggers, make sure you're not tail heavy. I have mine balanced at 95mm gear down, 100mm gear up, and keep in mind I'm one of those guys that flies my 3D planes and ALL of my EDF's at least 15-25mm further aft of the recommended CG, but not this one or the Spittfire. So don't be afraid to add plenty of extra lead to the nose to get it there, I did, even though I fly it on an SMC 6200 shoved all the way forward that weighs 814 gr. I also have the Mr. RC Sound system in front of the balance point and still need extra lead. Flies 10 minutes easy on the 6200's.

Regarding control throws, I seem to remember I'm using book values of low and high, although their highs are my mid rates and have a bit extra on high rates, but usually fly on mid rates/manual high rates. On flaps, I'm using about 8 clicks of up elevator compensation on both take-off and landing flaps, although I'm using more deflection on landing flaps (about 50 degrees) than manual suggestions, only because I like the way it looks. Past 45 degrees, instead of extra lift it starts just giving extra drag.

On take-off, as Elbee says, it wants to go left when the tail lifts but easily can be corrected with rudder, so I use high rates on the rudder in all three of my rate positions. Apply throttle slowly and smoothly and when the tail lifts up, make sure you keep the plane level or even a couple degrees down angel (instead of any nose up attitude) and accelerate thus allowing you to lift off when you want. If you accelerate too fast or maintain a slightly nose up attitude, it will absolutely lift off too early and may drop the left wing in a stall, so be ready for that.

On landing, DO NOT, at least IMO, attempt a 3 point landing. Can't tell you how many retracts I broke trying to do that at the beginning. These retracts rotate back, leaving all the landing pressure on the worm screw only, which will not hold up to much pressure. You must land scale, perfectly level with plenty of throttle touching on the mains first ONLY then reducing the throttle. I make my landing approach at 42% throttle and ease it to the ground no lower than 35% throttle until the mains touch and it is rolling level. Initially went through about 7 retracts trying to land, but since landing scale, after 100 flights or more, still using the same retract. Also, the 3.5" Robart treaded or diamond wheels are outstanding!

That should get you started, enjoy this outstanding aircraft. It seems a bit heavy (not like the FMS 1700mm Corsair) but it has more than enough power and cruises nicely just over 50% throttle.

Since I not above posting my videos way too much, this is my latest on the Corsair (I can always use a few more views, but have plenty of "dislikes" already )

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• https://www.prusa3d.com/page/prusasl...723.1662494722

3.5RobartWheel&HubOnly.zip

jetfool Rex this is the URL to Prusa Slicer 2.5.0 (Latest) through GitHub. It is a great slicer program and will open any STL File I know. I have also included the Zipfile for the Robart Wheel Inserts. Any problems, let me know, Best, Steve
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman It is good to read your voice again, my friend. "Where fore art thou...me thinks you have volunteered and assisted your fellow Floridians in all things good." Regardless, we have missed your wit, sarcasm, anecdotes and general good vibes, evident only through the lack thereof.. Good to have you back aboard, Brother. Best, LB
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee,
                              Thanks for the information. I will go thru the posts and see if I can find how you did the canopy and flaps, something I would enjoy making. Just downloaded the pursa slicer

Wildman,

Hugh loved your video and really appreciate your info on the set ups and flying, will follow your recommendation's for mine. Will check your past posts too. Seems all the R/c Modelers I have met through the years are willing to help with advice and friendship

Best Regards to both of you, Rex

Comment

• Elbee,
                                I spent the morning going through all the picture post, great info. I must say your modifications on this model are mind boggling. Like me, it is about the journey not necessary the finish at a certain time. I really like the canopy framing between front and the sliding section. I received your pm and will reply once I find the PM section in this forumn . My Corsair is arriving Friday . Cleaning up shop now Rex

Comment

• Elbee
                                  Elbee commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Click on Notifications at the top right of page. There is drop menu, click Inbox, once there click on the Subject line to open the message. To send, click Compose New, start typing the recipients name and a reference drop menu will appear below, click on the recipient of choice. Write message like an email. hope this helps. Best, Steve

• Steve,

Went through all the picture post this morning. Amazing what you have done on yours. I want to do the scale cockpit, robart whls, scale hubs and possibly a manual canopy, open/close, Want to give it a SW Pacific weathered look. I'm new at weathering these foam planes so any advice you can give is appreciated. I take it you start with highlighting the panel lines then go from there?
                                I have been on U-Tube looking at the weathering videos and getting a lot of info but any suggestion please advise. I have been using latex paint on my larger models and like the color matches I get from HD. I enjoy reading any suggestions you have to offer.
                                Hope you don't mind my questions, if so just say so, don't want to bother you. Rex

Comment

Steve, Went through all the picture post this morning.......Rex
                                  Rex, no bother at all, except I am certainly not the 'go to' paint and weathering guy. I, too, watch all the ewet00b vids and take what I THINK is a correct path. i am a big HD latex paint fan, BTW.

Most recently, davegee has joined the ranks here at "The Squawk" and has experience in scale modeling and judging.

Dave has proven an invaluable source with respect to history, livery, painting and weathering. You might have seen his Corsair among all the pictures in this thread. I trust his word with respect to those topics, bar none.
                                  That written, I can provide pictures and techniques that I have used, some of which even worked out if that helps.

There's nothing you cannot ask me or anyone for that matter here at Hobby Squawk, that will not receive an answer and even an additional opinion or two. i'd start a list, but I fear I would leave someone out, but you certainly catch my meaning. We are a small group, but mighty.

I look forward to watching your Corsair build and even finishing mine in time for next Spring's flying season.

Best, Steve
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                    Hugh Wiedman It is good to read your voice again, my friend. "Where fore art thou...me thinks you have volunteered and assisted your fellow Floridians in all things good." Regardless, we have missed your wit, sarcasm, anecdotes and general good vibes, evident only through the lack thereof.. Good to have you back aboard, Brother. Best, LB
                                    Haven't been able to fly for over a month due to crazy windy/rainy weather, including a couple hurricanes, so I've been spending time on other important duties (although what could be more important that RC building/flying ). Finally going out tomorrow with a couple of my regular buddies as the winds are finally at or below 10mph. Now if I can just steal my CO's Apprentice so I can "re-learn" how to fly, I'll be good! Is it "push forward" to go up, or will that result in a lawn dart?
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Working...
                                    X