Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair Crew, beginning where I left off some months ago, I am finally configuring my pilot to his office. I printed the arms separately and with heat bent the hands and elbows to better fit the layout. Gluing those in place with CA+ and kicker. I will apply filler in the joint and another layer of black primer overall. Then the fun begins as I am rubbish painting flesh tones. I did get the Vallejo Paints 8 Color Face Set (not labelled as that) from the 'lovely and talented' Tamms as a gift. I believe mostly so I would stop asking if I could have any old makeup. BTW, she just mixes her own colors for flesh tones (I was standing behind the door when God was handing out the mixing paint colors chromosome). you should see my Spitfire pilot's face. He looks like a sunburnt plague victim with blue eyes. In any event, I am happy to be back working on the Corsair though technically the pilot isn't the airframe. Should be fun...or not...we'll see. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1257.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	361893
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee,
      Beautiful details of the cockpit and the pilot. Can't wait to see him painted. On the switch box above the Inst. Panel, I don't see any cables going to the various electrical components in the fuselage? How will your Pilot ever control this plane. LOL Just joking with you, beautiful work. Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• I so, so, so enjoy your updates brother Elbee!
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Elbee
          Elbee commented
          Editing a comment
          Aros, thanks, Bro and Happy Turkey Day to you & yours, LB

• Guys,
        Looking for weathering Paint, washes, stains, Panel lines, ect. I have looked at the AK brand but are there other brands that work better. At the costs of these paints, I'd like to get the right ones the first time. Your advice for what works is appreciated. I usually do the Dave Platt wash technique but don't know how most are doing theirs. Rex

Comment

• Fellow Corsair Connaisseurs, in case you were not aware there is a great movie out in theaters right now called Devotion about the true story of a Korean war hero Jesse Brown. Maybe some of you have heard the story. The Corsair is featured prominently throughout the entire movie and the shots are eye candy alone, but of course the messaging of the story is the most important element. However, seeing the Corsair so often in a contemporary movie would warm any admirer's heart. Definitely worth watching on the big screen!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
            Fellow Corsair Connaisseurs, in case you were not aware there is a great movie out in theaters right now called Devotion about the true story of a Korean war hero Jesse Brown. Maybe some of you have heard the story. The Corsair is featured prominently throughout the entire movie and the shots are eye candy alone, but of course the messaging of the story is the most important element. However, seeing the Corsair so often in a contemporary movie would warm any admirer's heart. Definitely worth watching on the big screen!
            Aros, I watched the trailer about a dozen times . Looking forward to this one big time. Thanks for the heads up and best as always, LB
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Wife and I went and saw this movie last Friday. IT is a must see for Corsair lovers!

Comment

• Elbee
                Elbee commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Rex, i am all in. Best, Steve

As for your paints and washes, I have the Tamiya Panel Line washes in black, brown, grey. I use graphite powder some, Grumbacher Oil Pastels and for paints AK, Ammo, Vallejo, HD Behr, old Model Masters, & colored pencils, too. Unfortunately, at least for me, I have spent a small fortune on all this fun stuff in the past 5 years, but I had started over with nothing after 25 years of golf instead, (honestly, all this is cheaper than golf, LOL). I watch many of the plastic model guys ewetoob vids and kinda just go from there. I am not great at weathering, but with each project I do more and add more to older models some as well. Not certain I have helped, but post pictures as you progress, please. Best, Steve

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
              Wife and I went and saw this movie last Friday. IT is a must see for Corsair lovers!
              My wife and I saw the movie last night. It follows very well the excellent book by Adam Makos, Devotion. I was very impressed with the airplanes that they used, F4U-4s, as was done with the real airplanes early in the Korean war. Markings of the VF-32 squadron were spot on as far as I could tell.

A buddy of mine is looking to do his next rc project, possibly of Tom Hudner's Corsair. I suggested using the FMS 1700mm Corsair V3 version for a start, which is a F4U-4 and has the four bladed prop. He hasn't decided if he'll pull the trigger on doing this project yet, but I told him I'd help with some of the details if he decides to go ahead with it.

Interestingly, my friend came across Tom Hudner, probably about 2016 at an airshow in the Denver area, not long before he passed away. My friend had no knowledge of Hudner or the story behind his dramatic attempt to recover his friend in Korea. But he did notice that the man was sitting at a table signing autographs and prints of a painting depicting Hudner crashlanding his Corsair trying to save his friend Ensign Jesse Brown. Hudner was wearing civilian clothes, but what caught my friend's eye was him wearing his Medal of Honor ribbon. He sat down to talk with Hudner for awhile. He was a very impressive man, and he bought one of the signed prints of the painting and has it proudly hung in his office.

Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpg Views:	0 Size:	11.3 KB ID:	362406

Comment

• Davegee,

Your friend was lucky to have a conversation with this man. My dad and I used to go to Oshkosh every year when I was younger, and I met thru the years Joe Foss, Gus Wilhelm, Pappy Boynton, Bud Anderson, Chuck Yeager and others. They were very good at listening to my questions and giving their answers to a young kid. Most were quiet and reserved until they started talking about flying. Lots of good memories. I have most of their books that they signed for me in my library.

Comment

• Wonderful, thank you for sharing davegee! What a gift to speak to those heros before they passed.
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Elbee,
                    Thanks for the advice on weathering tools and paints you use. I have ordered most of what you recommend, and they are starting to show up in the mail now. Should have all the supplies I will need when Dec. 25 comes, and I can open the Corsair box. Wife laughs but the suspense is killing me. I have a fortune in tools, kits and supplies too, but I tell the wife I could spend a whole lot more in other hobbies.
                    I am weathering my Wildcat as a test bed on painting a foam warbird. Would it be ok to post a picture of it here so you guys can nit - pick it and advise for better results? Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                      Wonderful, thank you for sharing davegee! What a gift to speak to those heros before they passed.
                      I think my life was enriched immensely by getting to meet and know some of these WWII heroes. There aren't many of them left, sadly. On a good note, my father in law just turned 100 years old last month. He's doing well, considering he's 100 years old and had excellent recall of memories of his time in combat flying B-17s over Germany( 35 missions), and transports during the Korean war. Pretty cool guy.

Comment

Davegee,

Your friend was lucky to have a conversation with this man. My dad and I used to go to Oshkosh every year when I was younger, and I met thru the years Joe Foss, Gus Wilhelm, Pappy Boynton, Bud Anderson, Chuck Yeager and others. They were very good at listening to my questions and giving their answers to a young kid. Most were quiet and reserved until they started talking about flying. Lots of good memories. I have most of their books that they signed for me in my library.
                        You bet, Jetfool. I got to know many over the years who are almost all gone now, and I would have loved to meet Tom Hudner and talk with him as my friend did back in 2016 or so. That was an incredible decision he made to try and rescue his friend in the frozen mountains of Korea.

Comment

• Davegee,

Many unsung hero's from all wars that come home and never talk about the things they have seen. My Dad was in the Okinawa battle and not until he was in his 80s did I learn how he got his wounds. Things I have never had to see because these guys fought for us. Hero's in my mind. Rex

Comment

Davegee,

Many unsung hero's from all wars that come home and never talk about the things they have seen. My Dad was in the Okinawa battle and not until he was in his 80s did I learn how he got his wounds. Things I have never had to see because these guys fought for us. Hero's in my mind. Rex
                            Amen!
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

My wife and I saw the movie last night. It follows very well the excellent book by Adam Makos, Devotion. I was very impressed with the airplanes that they used, F4U-4s, as was done with the real airplanes early in the Korean war. Markings of the VF-32 squadron were spot on as far as I could tell.

A buddy of mine is looking to do his next rc project, possibly of Tom Hudner's Corsair. I suggested using the FMS 1700mm Corsair V3 version for a start, which is a F4U-4 and has the four bladed prop. He hasn't decided if he'll pull the trigger on doing this project yet, but I told him I'd help with some of the details if he decides to go ahead with it.

Interestingly, my friend came across Tom Hudner, probably about 2016 at an airshow in the Denver area, not long before he passed away. My friend had no knowledge of Hudner or the story behind his dramatic attempt to recover his friend in Korea. But he did notice that the man was sitting at a table signing autographs and prints of a painting depicting Hudner crashlanding his Corsair trying to save his friend Ensign Jesse Brown. Hudner was wearing civilian clothes, but what caught my friend's eye was him wearing his Medal of Honor ribbon. He sat down to talk with Hudner for awhile. He was a very impressive man, and he bought one of the signed prints of the painting and has it proudly hung in his office.

Click image for larger version Name:	images.jpg Views:	0 Size:	11.3 KB ID:	362406
                              Here is a picture of my friend Bruce with his chance meeting with Tom "Lou" Hudner at that airshow several years ago before Hudner passed away. Pretty neat guy! Photo taken August 27, 2011.

Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.5 KB ID:	362513

Comment

• Great picture. Glad to see him wear his MOH. Glad your friend recognized the medal and spent time talking

Comment

• Delivered the flash drive with the STL files for my Corsair to the Industrial arts teacher Sunday at the HS indoor flying. My grandson calls me after school today and tells me his next project in Indust. Arts class is doing the printing of my cockpit . They are going to print 2 of everything I sent so I need to start saving for the F4U-1D. All glossy sea- blue off the carrier Franklin ,214 Squadron. Grandson is starting to take an interest in r/c, and wants to take his indoor helicopter to the next indoor fly. I couldn't be happier

Comment

Delivered the flash drive with the STL files for my Corsair to the Industrial arts teacher Sunday at the HS indoor flying. My grandson calls me after school today and tells me his next project in Indust. Arts class is doing the printing of my cockpit . They are going to print 2 of everything I sent so I need to start saving for the F4U-1D. All glossy sea- blue off the carrier Franklin ,214 Squadron. Grandson is starting to take an interest in r/c, and wants to take his indoor helicopter to the next indoor fly. I couldn't be happier
                                    Rex, everything about this is the way things are suppose to progress. If there is anything, I mean anything I can do to assist your grandson or you through this project, just let me know. Very best to you and yours, Steve
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks Steve,

He is 15 and shy but he and I do a lot of things together. He is always in the shop with me and would build plastic models and watch me build my bigger planes but never took to going to the field. Another member has a grandson, same age and they are classmates, both are getting interested so we old guys hope to spark an interest in them. I am finishing the paint/weathering on my wildcat and think these large foam planes are the way to go. Its nice not to have to build for months, fiberglass and by the time i'm ready to paint and finish I'm worn down.
                                      If he does a good job on the cockpit I would be interested in your files on the spinner, Your, more scale spinner really sets the model off. He is printing the scale wheel hubs after the cockpit. He asked me what the overall time would be to print the cockpit. Can you give an approximate time for this. Got the sound electronics with plane purchase and when I show the class kids what they are making I hope it encourages them to open their minds to possibilities. Thanks again for your support and encouragement, Rex

P.S. He and I are looking with his Dad for his first car, He has saved over 3000$ and wants to find an old 77-80 Jeep Wagoneer or something that era. Go figure

Comment

Working...
                                      X