Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got 5 flights in on each of 4 birds today including my Corsair. Every time I fly it, I just can't believe how well it flies and lands (at 40% throttle, extra full flaps). Had 10 mph shifting winds, mostly cross winds, and it handled it with ease. Flight Line definitely has the 1600mm prop warbirds dialed in, with ample power and 8 minute flight times on a 5000 mah battery (10 minutes for the Spitfire). What more can you ask for! I have the MR RC sound system in programmed for the double wasp sound and love it. Time for a 1600mm FL nemesis aircraft for these 2!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210426_092027.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	310487Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair Cropped.jpeg
Views:	698
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	310488
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Lookin' good there Pappy!, Er I mean Hugh Wiedman!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• My tail wheel continues to try to steer even when it is retracted. From the build video it seems like it should stop when retracted. Is there a servo lead plugged in incorrectly? I haven’t moved any of them since I’ve received it. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tigerman View Post
          So how many mm of down elevator do you recommend to dial in
          Sorry for the late reply, I was at a model show this past weekend. "How much" down elevator trim is a subjective thing. Kinda what XViper said about expo, it is going to depend on what feels right to you.
          I am sure that some modelers will say none is needed. Its just something that did the trick for me, it only took a very small amount to do it. Maybe about 1/16 of an inch or so.

When using full flaps (I mean, ALL the way down until the hinge won't let it go any further), they act as air brakes and don't change the trim at all (but you'll need about 40% throttle like Hugh said). So a tiny bit of down elevator just keeps the tail up and really helps it "stick" the landing. (Definitely do NOT try to 3-point this plane.) A two-point landing with the fuselage level will result in very nice landings without bouncing. And the moment you cut the throttle at touchdown, the model will slow down very quickly.

I agree with a previous poster, the retract cases are weak and if you are on a rutted field you will soon have broken cases regardless of how well you land. Maybe one day we can find a replacement retract with a metal case.... but you know, something else will break (like the mounts in the wing).
          I watched an interesting video (link follows) where they discussed the problems the Royal Navy had with Corsairs in carrier operations. Do you know that the full-size Corsair also had a tendency to bounce on landing, to the point where it would break the gear struts off? https://youtu.be/quo-AgC4ZiU
          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Golfkicker8 View Post
            My tail wheel continues to try to steer even when it is retracted. From the build video it seems like it should stop when retracted. Is there a servo lead plugged in incorrectly? I haven’t moved any of them since I’ve received it. Any help would be appreciated.
            GK, Welcome to the Squawk. Once the tailwheel is retracted the steering arm is "less" effective, though not entirely disconnected from the strut. Some movement is expected, though make certain there is not a servo buzz or linkage binding. Hope this helps. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• [QUOTE=themudduck;n310519]
              "How much" down elevator trim is a subjective thing. Kinda what XViper said about expo, it is going to depend on what feels right to you.
              I am sure that some modelers will say none is needed. Its just something that did the trick for me, it only took a very small amount to do it. Maybe about 1/16 of an inch or so.
              When using full flaps (I mean, ALL the way down until the hinge won't let it go any further), they act as air brakes and don't change the trim at all (but you'll need about 40% throttle like Hugh said). So a tiny bit of down elevator just keeps the tail up and really helps it "stick" the landing. (Definitely do NOT try to 3-point this plane.) A two-point landing with the fuselage level will result in very nice landings without bouncing. And the moment you cut the throttle at touchdown, the model will slow down very quickly.
              [QUOTE]

Ditto what themudduck stated about down elevator trim with full flaps. Tigerman, the best way to set the trim, IMO, is by using Flight Modes, assuming your TX has that function (Spektrum definitely has it). Each aircraft is slightly different and everyone seems to have their personal preference so giving you a certain mm of down trim is just a "Shot in the Dark". What works for me and the way I have my Corsair setup, may not be exactly what works for you, so use the Flight Modes. As a matter of fact, I use Flight Modes in every single aircraft I have with flaps (not to be confused with Flight Modes-FM1-3 in the Spektrum AS3X gyro receivers which relates to 3 different gain programs). By setting up Flight Modes and assigning them to your 3 position flap switch, it allows you to trim in flight at each flap setting (which is just a fine tuning of the elevator compensation you probably already dialed in with the Flap System Menu-but those are just guesses).

Just go to the Flight Mode menu (2nd set of menus in a Spektrum TX labeled F-Mode Setup), and select the switch you use for flaps (in my case it's the 3 position Switch D). Then go to Trim Setup menu (also in the 2nd set of menus a couple down from F-Mode Set-up), and it lists Throttle/Aileron/Elevator/Rudder, etc. The default setting next to each is Common Digital. Go to the Elevator and select F Mode (I also select Aileron). Now you can fine tune your elevator compensation (and aileron in case your flaps do not extend at the exact same amount which may cause a slight roll) while flying for each of the 3 flap positions. This allows you to fine tune each while you are flying and as you change the flap positions, it keeps the individual trim settings for each. No more guessing, get it done on the first flight!

This is definitely one of my Top 5 TX programming must haves for aircrafts with flaps. If you place your battery slightly different from one flight to the next, or maybe the weather changes (especially heat and humidity) from one flight to the next, you can always fine tune it immediately in flight and you're always at your preferred attitude. Once you use this, you can then fine tune the elevator trim with full flaps (without changing the trim for take-off or no flap positions) to be right where you want it. I trim mine with full flaps at 45% throttle to drop down a bit (maybe only a couple clicks or so) but can't even tell you how many mm, it's what just feels about right for me.

I apologize for once again discussing F-Modes for flaps (which I have repeated on many occasions in different threads) but if you're not using them, you're missing out on one of the best and easiest tools to help fly these aircraft that much easier. Aros in one thread found a video which explained them better than I did here, but if you need more info, try looking that up or I would be happy to help you set it up (takes 30 seconds or less), it's easy, and you can just PM me.
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• as an example when i fly the spit i add 7 clicks of down with full flap (70 degrees), on this with 45-50 degrees of flap (as much as i can get with out the linkage locking up due to over the center lock) i use no trim and as stated previously 30-40% throttle. i've taught two others to land the way i do (on p-51's) and i've always told them i trim the plane to have the same elevator hold as any sport plane at landing throttle as a starting point (so the f4u would have 45-50 degrees of flap, 30-40% throttle and gear down and have the same e hold as a sport plane on landing) because that is what we have been taught/are comfortable with.

the part that take some getting used to is the plane rotates ~ 8 degrees nose down with full flap (45-50 degrees) and that really causes alot of trouble because we tend to pull the plane level on landing and with full flap thats a +8 degree AoA (translates to it slows very fast!). so i encourage you to fly it around down and dirty just to get used to the new look, then start doing low passes till it lands.

Joe
                Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Hello, would so much appreciate some help from those that have this plane. I am looking for the measurement of the main struts from the block to the axle and the size of the wheel as well. I have an old H9 .60 corsair that needs gear and am hoping these will fit. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Comment

• Elbee, I am going to buy the Corsair however before I do, who can supply the 3d cockpit and other accessories to dress this bird up. I am not to computer savy so could you ( or for that matter anyone) reply to me at jackmurray@tampaday.rr.com. Thank you Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by easyjack View Post
                      Elbee, I am going to buy the Corsair however before I do, who can supply the 3d cockpit and other accessories to dress this bird up. I am not to computer savy so could you ( or for that matter anyone) reply to me at jackmurray@tampaday.rr.com. Thank you Jack
                      EJ, There are 3DP printable STL files for the Forward Instrument Panel (IP), the side panels, Pilot Seat, and Aft Armored Bulkhead on the MotionRC website under the "Support" page for either the Birdcage or Bubble-Top Flightline 1600mm Corsair. You will need to do some foam surgery to get a nice fit and I have read, you might need to trim the side panels a bit as well. If you do not have access to a 3d Printer, there are 3DP printing services available, The RC Geek comes to mind. He does great work. Hope I have helped. Looking forward to seeing photos of your build progress, Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Last night I ordered the bubbletop version. Finally replacing the old dynam. Was eyeballing this for a year, and finally went for it.

Comment

• Elbee
                          Elbee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          WooHoo! Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB

• Thank you elbee for your reply. When I built my A-10 there were a number of person selling parts for the aircraft. on the A-10 thread. So , just a shout out to all of you on this thread, Looking for all those 3d enhancements. Jack

Comment

• I still have to try and fly my 3d printed corsair. I had it finished for over a year maybe 2 years now. Just can't get my nerve up to fly it yet. Just because that's alot of hours going into the air.

Comment

• i've been ask to fly 3 planes by widows. to me that was a chore, making sure they were flight ready without upsetting anyone. pointing out to me, why do the work then let someone else fly it! who does not have the sweet equity, or will take the care that i would?

Joe
                            Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• I honestly don't trust anyone on this planet to fly the 3d printed plane other than myself. So much more can go wrong with a 3d printed plane. Especially ones as big as this without any carbon fiber support in the wings. This was printed in petg. Most everyone prints in pla, a much stiffer material that however warps easily in the Texas sun, while petg does not, the reason I tried it. If a part fails in flight I have to make sure if it crashes it doesn't put anyone in danger. I've seen too many people just give up and let the plane fall where it will. Unless you lost the reciever link, you fly that plane to the ground.

Comment

• Corsair Consortium, Finally have a Pilot Seat & Seat Mount that is closer to looking right. I want to thank Beeg for his support in helping me get the scale dimensions a bit closer, too. Next on to the Side Console IPs. More when there is more. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0681.JPG
Views:	733
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	311011

Name:	IMG_0684.JPG
Views:	712
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	311012
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                  Corsair Consortium, Finally have a Pilot Seat & Seat Mount that is closer to looking right. I want to thank Beeg for his support in helping me get the scale dimensions a bit closer, too. Next on to the Side Console IPs. More when there is more. Best, LB

Whoa Nelly, not to shabby!
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Love it!
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Waar is mijn Corsair? Grapje, hoewel het er een is, moet ik snel kopen. Het is altijd een van mijn favoriete oorlogsvogels geweest. Het is een moeilijke beslissing. De donkerblauwe en lichtblauwe zijn prachtig. Trouwens, ik ben Deens van geboorte. Ik spreek Duits, Engels en een paar andere talen. Vlieg door!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                        Corsair Consortium, Finally have a Pilot Seat & Seat Mount that is closer to looking right. I want to thank Beeg for his support in helping me get the scale dimensions a bit closer, too. Next on to the Side Console IPs. More when there is more. Best, LB

Looks great brother, I got my corsair in the truck going to the field tomorrow for the maiden.

Comment

Working...
                                        X