X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tigerman View Post
    Love the Corsair but why does it always bounce on landing, the Flightline Spitfire lands fine but this little devil loves to bounce when I land it.Is this common or am I just a crap flyer 🤔
    I upgraded the main wheels to the Robart 3.5", which helps, but the Corsair needs to be flown down for landing, it will not float in and flare. I still use full flaps on landing, actually even more than recommended, at 50 degrees (anything over 45 degrees and the flaps no longer create lift, just drag) only because I like the way it looks with max flaps at landing. My approach is at 40% throttle until I'm 1 foot off the runway, then only reduce it to 32% throttle and inch it down, staying perfectly level, as the mains touch, then slowly reduce throttle till the tail drops. If you try to land slower, the nose will be slightly up and it WILL bounce. You can not do a decent 3 point landing with the Corsair and you must keep it level and the tail up when landing. Once you do that a couple of times, it will seem like the Corsair is one of the smoothest landing warbirds there is. Took me some 20 flights to figure it out, but once I did, no problem. The Spitfire only needs to land, for me anyway, with 25% throttle when the mains hit, as it floats much more than the Corsair.

I also have a bit of down trim with full flaps on landing to keep the nose down, as it is easier for me to give it slight back pressure on landing to keep it level, than have to actually give it down elevator, which would work fine but that just is counter to the way my brain thinks on landing, especially since I fly a lot of EDF's that need the nose way up on landing.
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I suggest dialing in your flaps and flying some dirty circuits (flaps and gear down) to get a feel. Set up your flaps and trims/mixes so you can fly straight and level hands off. (check my video below) Mine is dialed in perfect and this Corsair can fly so so slow. (when it's not windy).

Everything said before is correct. My corsair is bone stock, no gyro, however. I also needed to add the additional/optional nose weight to get a CG where I like it with a 6s 5000 pack.

Originally posted by Tigerman View Post
      Love the Corsair but why does it always bounce on landing, the Flightline Spitfire lands fine but this little devil loves to bounce when I land it.Is this common or am I just a crap flyer 🤔

Comment

• I always tell people new to flaps or get a new plane that has flaps, to practice landings with those flaps BUT pretend that the runway is 200 feet up.

Comment

• Tigerman Mr. Wiedman has some very good tips also this Corsair will keep any Pilot at his best on take offs and much more on the landings I fly off hard surface runways all the time and seldom off grass, learning will be much easier off a well groomed grass field grass is much more forgiving then asphalt. a grass field helps keep the plane straight on take off due to the drag it has on the main gear and gives a little cushion when landing. You will notice the amount of right rudder needed is much less to keep the plane straight when taking off and landing from grass, where Hard surface runways are not very forgiving at all. When I am getting use to a new plane I will do touch and goes during many flights the first 5 to 10 flights I will bring it in as if landing but keep it up 2 to three feet off until I get use to it the first two or three flights I will keep it at altitude and purposely stall it to see what the stall speed is with Flaps up, Flaps at 1/2 and flaps at full then fined how much throttle it takes to keep it from stalling in those three configurations. Taking off and landing any plane needs to be practiced more then anything to stay proficient at it. this video is not in the right place but this bi-plane took me many flights to achieve the correct speed throttle and attitude needed to make a good landing they are all DIFFERENT!!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaVnHlDzBsg&t=19s

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
            I always tell people new to flaps or get a new plane that has flaps, to practice landings with those flaps BUT pretend that the runway is 200 feet up.
            Spectacular Advice !!
            Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
              Spectacular Advice !!
              Yeah xviper has that way about him.
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Tigerman View Post
                Love the Corsair but why does it always bounce on landing, the Flightline Spitfire lands fine but this little devil loves to bounce when I land it. Is this common or am I just a crap flyer 🤔
                Hey Tigerman, Hugh and I struggled for a while with landing the Corsair for the same reason and I think we bought a new boat for the guys at Motion from all the replacement retracts that we purchased. I think I went through at least 6 pairs. (I got pretty good at replacing them!!). Like Hugh, I use full flaps (full deflection) which only makes drag and helps slow the plane down - and so you definitely need to keep power on to drive it in. We are both using the same battery (RT6250) which is about the same weight as the Admiral 5000, all the way forward.

We both came to the conclusion that the best way to avoid the bounce is to fly the model in under power (with flaps), make a two-wheel landing (tail up), and then cut the power after touchdown. The big flaps slow the plane very quickly, which is exactly why I like using them.
                Alternatively if you flare and slow down at touchdown, you will bounce and break the plastic case of the retract. This will happen really easily, even on tiny bounces that shouldn't hurt anything. With the way the retract unit is installed, all the force of the landing is transferred right into that unit and the sides are just thin plastic.

But what really did the trick for me and completely fixed the problem was a very simple thing - I programmed in a little bit of down elevator with full flaps. I think was only a few MM of deflection. This keeps the tail up during full-flap landings and absolutely stopped the bouncing. I haven't replaced a retract once since last summer when I changed the elevator mix! So that's my tip.
                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Hey Tigerman, Hugh and I struggled for a while with landing the Corsair for the same reason and I think we bought a new boat for the guys at Motion from all the replacement retracts that we purchased. I think I went through at least 6 pairs. (I got pretty good at replacing them!!). Like Hugh, I use full flaps (full deflection) which only makes drag and helps slow the plane down - and so you definitely need to keep power on to drive it in. We are both using the same battery (RT6250) which is about the same weight as the Admiral 5000, all the way forward.

We both came to the conclusion that the best way to avoid the bounce is to fly the model in under power (with flaps), make a two-wheel landing (tail up), and then cut the power after touchdown. The big flaps slow the plane very quickly, which is exactly why I like using them.
                  Alternatively if you flare and slow down at touchdown, you will bounce and break the plastic case of the retract. This will happen really easily, even on tiny bounces that shouldn't hurt anything. With the way the retract unit is installed, all the force of the landing is transferred right into that unit and the sides are just thin plastic.

But what really did the trick for me and completely fixed the problem was a very simple thing - I programmed in a little bit of down elevator with full flaps. I think was only a few MM of deflection. This keeps the tail up during full-flap landings and absolutely stopped the bouncing. I haven't replaced a retract once since last summer when I changed the elevator mix! So that's my tip.
                  100% agree with every single thing you stated, including a bit of down elevator trim on full flaps. Of my first 14 flights, trying to land slow with the nose up, ended up breaking 8 retracts, which is pretty easy to do since the sole support is the gear screw and those plastic sides. Almost hung the bird up and resigned myself to being just another crappy pilot, then started watching more videos of skilled pilots and got some tips from guys at our field. Since then, maybe another 100 flights, no more retract replacement (still have 4 for each side in inventory and was ordering 2-3 pairs at a time). For me since I learned to land correctly, this is THE EASIEST aircraft I have to land, and I'm still that same crappy pilot, but once you figure out how to land this way, you'll feel the same. It's actually easier than trying to float it in and flare at touchdown. And you almost can't come in too fast.

Practice touch and go's coming in with about 40% throttle, and just let the main's "kiss" the runway gently, let it roll that way perfectly level for 10-15 feet, then slowly increase throttle to get back in the air. Do the exact same thing on landing, but instead, slowly reduce the throttle after mains touch and you've just landed perfectly!
                  Oh, and you may have bought a new boat for the MRC guys, but with my Corsair Parts buying spree they turned it into a 100 foot Yacht!
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Maidened my Corsair this morning. First flight was beautiful and went perfectly. Great landing. Second flight I had elevator issues due to a change in settings and had to land promptly after take off. Unfortunately, I hit a rut right as the gear touched down and they folded. I couldnt believe how weak the gear were to fold like that. I came down relatively well, considering the elevator problem. In comparison, my other planes would have held up fine on that touchdown. Disappointed.

Is there a good replacement set that isnt the stock gear? Looking for something that is durable. The stock gear will not cut it and Im not going to keep replacing them for $35 each.

Comment

• Are that is where I having being going wrong I was landing with no flaps and trying to put the tail down first like I alpha my EDF. Which by the sound of it is the worst thing I could of done. I will now set some down elevator with my flap and try that

Comment

• So how many mm of down elevator do you recommend to dial in

Comment

• I just received this model and it looks great. Wondering has anyone experienced and signal fading with this plane? I have it set up with and AR630 receiver which doesn’t have any remote receivers. Should I be worried about losing signal? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Arycon View Post
                            Maidened my Corsair this morning. First flight was beautiful and went perfectly. Great landing. Second flight I had elevator issues due to a change in settings and had to land promptly after take off. Unfortunately, I hit a rut right as the gear touched down and they folded. I couldnt believe how weak the gear were to fold like that. I came down relatively well, considering the elevator problem. In comparison, my other planes would have held up fine on that touchdown. Disappointed.

Is there a good replacement set that isnt the stock gear? Looking for something that is durable. The stock gear will not cut it and Im not going to keep replacing them for $35 each.
                            So sorry to hear what happened to you, but there is nothing wrong with the gear. We hear this all the time, no matter what plane it is. That had to be a huge rut to fold both main gear ? So what do you mean by elevator issue's did the linkage come loose. did you change your settings, to much up, to much down? sure would be nice to know. That might explain why you had to make an aborted take off. Did you have to put it down in real rough terrain with all kinds of deep ruts and chuck hole ? just wondering

Comment

• Originally posted by Golfkicker8 View Post
                              I just received this model and it looks great. Wondering has anyone experienced and signal fading with this plane? I have it set up with and AR630 receiver which doesn’t have any remote receivers. Should I be worried about losing signal? Thanks
                              GK, Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Sir, glad to have you onboard. Just follow your RX install recommendations.for antennae placement and keep the RX away from the ESC, battery and motor wiring. The Flightline Corsair is 'huge' inside, so RX placement options are basically unlimited. Same thought goes if you are adding a gyro. Best, LB
                              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post

So sorry to hear what happened to you, but there is nothing wrong with the gear. We hear this all the time, no matter what plane it is. That had to be a huge rut to fold both main gear ? So what do you mean by elevator issue's did the linkage come loose. did you change your settings, to much up, to much down? sure would be nice to know. That might explain why you had to make an aborted take off. Did you have to put it down in real rough terrain with all kinds of deep ruts and chuck hole ? just wondering
                                The elevator issue was my error. I changed some subtrim on the radio and did too much. Made the plane want to dive. I had to trim elevator up a good amount to regain control, though, holding back pressure during the downwind and final. It made the touchdown challenging.

The field I fly off of is not smooth by any means, but Ive flown multiple planes off of it and landed without issue, FMS 1400mm A6M and 1450mm P-51 included.

My first landing in the same area was greased, considering the rough grass. Again, done this before plenty of times with other birds. The "rut" was a shallow depression in the earth. I think the way the corsair touched down in it was bad luck. I touched down with a slight bounce and right as the gear touched down immediately following the plane was passing over the depression/uneven ground. Gear folded and she belly landed, stopping shortly thereafter.

All honesty, I was shocked it folded. It looked like it would be a good landing until that very moment. Again, first flight and landing was fine. Videos of it on the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/1366337238/...48155/?app=fbl

Comment

• Your link to the video does not work. First flights are always interesting. I have found this plane is some what heavier then most and has to come in much faster when landing, and with full flaps I am using what seems like 1/2 throttle to keep it flying then slowly reducing throttle after touch down. and more attention needs to be given to the rudder input to keep it from pulling left after touch down due to the higher P Factor on the larger 18" prop I have done quite a few landings. take offs and touch and goes, But I am still not as comfortable with this Bird as I am with other Birds such as the E-flite 1500mm P-51, the 1600mm FL Spit Fire and others. So far so good with the Corsair but it is going to take more flights to get acquainted with it's flight characteristics. Where you are at Sea level or just above 500 ft. MSL ? and I am at just above 3,200 Ft. MSL The Wing loading seems higher and stall speeds are higher for me When I fly my Birds in Denver I notice a huge difference also, flying at 5,700 ft. MSL The higher the altitude the more runway needed to take off and land

Comment

Your link to the video does not work. First flights are always interesting. I have found this plane is some what heavier then most and has to come in much faster when landing, and with full flaps I am using what seems like 1/2 throttle to keep it flying then slowly reducing throttle after touch down. and more attention needs to be given to the rudder input to keep it from pulling left after touch down due to the higher P Factor on the larger 18" prop I have done quite a few landings. take offs and touch and goes, But I am still not as comfortable with this Bird as I am with other Birds such as the E-flite 1500mm P-51, the 1600mm FL Spit Fire and others. So far so good with the Corsair but it is going to take more flights to get acquainted with it's flight characteristics. Where you are at Sea level or just above 500 ft. MSL ? and I am at just above 3,200 Ft. MSL The Wing loading seems higher and stall speeds are higher for me When I fly my Birds in Denver I notice a huge difference also, flying at 5,700 ft. MSL The higher the altitude the more runway needed to take off and land
                                    Sorry the link doesn't work. Going to attach it here. I would think the air density there is a contributing factor. Thinner air def changes flight characteristics. Oddly, I have a completely opposite experience with the Flightline Corsair. I found it to be the best flying plane I know. Locked in and smooth. My first landing was spot on and I found the approach on final relatively intuitive. I just watched the plane for cues and adjusted throttle to maintain my slope. I touched down on the mains and gently applied back pressure and cut throttle. I let momentum slow the plane down and kept back pressure on the elevator until she stopped. I can agree the P factor is def high and you have to be ready with rudder.

Sorry for the crappy video. I wasn't filming so don't blame me. 🤣

Take off: https://youtu.be/x76rVuP1Prw
                                    Pass: https://youtu.be/ncT1B6uuYUc
                                    Landing: https://youtu.be/HPMESGRgct4

Comment

• WOW that is one rough field I am really spoiled I have flown off fields like that before, but no more it is hard surface or improved grass like a gulf coarse green good luck SIR

Comment

WOW that is one rough field I am really spoiled I have flown off fields like that before, but no more it is hard surface or improved grass like a gulf coarse green good luck SIR
                                        Right?? I thought the first couple flights would be fine on that part of the field. There is a road just to the side of where I was standing but it is somewhat narrow the edges are overgrown so there is no room for error. I wanted to get a feel for the plane before trying the road. It is a rough field but this is the first time Ive ever had an issue landing.

Comment

• Corsair Crowd, I have a bit more to share for those who dare. I thought I would do a little dressing-up of the OEM cockpit and why I also figured it wouldn't take much time, I do not know. In any event I have a new rear bulkhead, modified OEM pilot seat, new side panels (I will add the detail parts in pieces rather than print an all-in-one), and v2 of an IP Shroud on the printer. Foam surgery is the slowest part for me, ..'to cut or not to cut. that is the question', but in the end (as always) it always seems like why did I even sweat it in the first place?

The plan is to build as much cockpit as I am able around the elevator control rods and possibly hide those rather than move the servo and linkages. I will move the rudder servo to behind the pilot seat bulkhead keeping the OEM control rod location and linkage. More when there is more.

Best to all, LB
                                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X