Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair Crew, when does the 'fun' part start.

Performed some foamectomy surgery on the fuselage and printed some mounting parts. Dry fitting shows me some hinge line redesign is needed, but overall I was in the groove.

I'll need printed reinforcement as the remaining foam is thin (.140" +/-) where the flaps lay straight, but no biggie.

Might add CF square or rod in the 12 and 6 o'clock positions as well to tie the forward nose back to the fuse.

I like where this is going thus far. More when there is more. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
      Corsair Crew, when does the 'fun' part start.

Performed some foamectomy surgery on the fuselage and printed some mounting parts. Dry fitting shows me some hinge line redesign is needed, but overall I was in the groove.

I'll need printed reinforcement as the remaining foam is thin (.140" +/-) where the flaps lay straight, but no biggie.

Might add CF square or rod in the 12 and 6 o'clock positions as well to tie the forward nose back to the fuse.

That’s looking great LB. I must say, it takes some nerve to cut up a brand new airplane like this! Keep up the good work.

Comment

Corsair Crew, when does the 'fun' part start.

Jesus Elbee!! You the man!!! Brass Balls !
        Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

That’s looking great LB. I must say, it takes some nerve to cut up a brand new airplane like this! Keep up the good work.
          Outstanding looking design Elbee , can't wait to see the flaps in action. Looks like you're going with the thin steel cable option. BTW, I thought that was supposed to be Mrs. LB's necklace, what's up with sticking it on a Corsair? She can't be too happy about that! And I guess it's not exactly a "new" airplane your chopping up, since it's been sitting in a box at your house for a couple of years, probably for production batch #1.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
            Outstanding looking design. Looks like you're going with the thin steel cable option
            Thank you all.

Hugh, the cable is actually an old guitar string and I'm using it as a curved hinge. More fluid and simpler than the bent aluminum "L-Shaped" wire I had used.

As for actuation, cable is an option, but I only need to move 2 or 3 of the flaps to extend and retract all. 10, 2, and possibly 6 o'clock if required. Not there yet, but thinking it's quite doable.

Best, LB
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Wow the modler slash rc community never ceases to amaze.. go lb we r all waiting with baited breath veeerryyy coooll .. l uv my fline corsair but the dynam i had had a nice moulded flaps open cowel ...isnt it fun

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                Wow the modler slash rc community never ceases to amaze.. ...isnt it fun
                FA, Indeed, Sir. Thank you, I will endeavor to persevere. Best, LB
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Simply delicious. If a heavily modified foam Corsair project can be described as delicious, this is delicious.
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                    e4dragongunner Geezus Elbee!! You the man!!! Brass Balls !

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Great work, and I see you have some "lockTight" or something in there as well. So I guess this is not an uncommon issue.
                      Hugh
                      Rob used some loctite then wiped off the excess. He has many flights on the Corsair since the repair. It’s possible that MRC had some hardware tolerance issues but it’s hard to say.
                      my preorder Corsair is on the original props and hub and going strong.
                      Rich

Comment

• Yesterday was the first day in weeks here in the Back Hills of SD, that we had a nice cool non windy day. The wind was a ;ight direct 5 to 10 cross wind out of the East the wide parking lot I use for a runway run 18 & 36 straight north and south. So I Test flew my F-4U-1A Bird Cage Corsair the test flight did not go the best, the ailerons, or flaps maybe even the elevator halves were out of trim Here is the video of the test flight and a photo afterwards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzucmjSlliQ
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	CV2.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	305915Click image for larger version

Name:	CV3.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	305916

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post
                          Yesterday was the first day in weeks here in the Back Hills of SD...
                          WM, she is gorgeous and in one piece. Sounds like a great day to me. Best, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

WM, she is gorgeous and in one piece. Sounds like a great day to me. Best, LB
                            Elbee. So much for just Eye balling the surfaces. The split elevator halves were off, the Flaps were off, and that made the ailerons off too. At least the landing went just fine She's a great flying War Bird for sure. I made a straight edge with a notch in it to get both elevator halves the same and used a straight edge to set neutral on the flap sections and the ailerons today. I guess I have gotten a little complacent while setting the surfaces of late weather went south again windy for the next three days or so plus rain instead of snow but snow expected in the Hills Hopefully the second test flight will go much better
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	STC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.4 KB ID:	305926

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post
                              Yesterday was the first day in weeks here in the Back Hills of SD, that we had a nice cool non windy day. The wind was a ;ight direct 5 to 10 cross wind out of the East the wide parking lot I use for a runway run 18 & 36 straight north and south. So I Test flew my F-4U-1A Bird Cage Corsair the test flight did not go the best, the ailerons, or flaps maybe even the elevator halves were out of trim Here is the video of the test flight and a photo afterwards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzucmjSlliQ
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	CV2.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	305915Click image for larger version

Name:	CV3.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	305916

Just love it man! Well done!
                              Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post

Just love it man! Well done!
                                Thank you Sir. I have it ready for the next test flight. I should have taken more time and care when adjusting neutral trim on all the surfaces they were all off. So much for Eye balling them LOL!!!

Comment

• Corsair Connoisseurs, Just a quick photo glimpse of the "Cowl Flap" mod. I finalized the design of the hinging plate (for lack of a better term) and dry-fit the first iteration of the flaps to it for this post to give you an idea of the design. These will change as the 'hinge line' is still about .05" high. I will noodle a way to actuate the flaps which shouldn't be too difficult, there's space available. I am adding two CF rods to the lower half of the nose. These will extend forward further than the OEM rods through to the cowl ring. The thinned foam all around the hinging plate is about an .125" and about an inch deep. Structurally this new hinge plate stiffens the cut out area for the flaps. The CF rods might be a bit of overkill, but I'll sleep better and there is no real weight penalty. More when there is more. Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee my friend that is some serious engineering ingenuity! I couldn't dream something up like that to save my hangar. I cannot wait to see this in action! ​​​​​​

Wild Man she sure is a beauty, great job getting her down in one piece. As Elbee said, always a great day.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Elbee
                                      Elbee commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Aw shucks, Aros, thank you, it was nuthin'. I am having fun with it, I must admit.

Corsair Connoisseurs, Just a quick photo glimpse of the "Cowl Flap" mod. I finalized the design of the hinging plate (for lack of a better term) and dry-fit the first iteration of the flaps to it for this post to give you an idea of the design. These will change as the 'hinge line' is still about .05" high. I will noodle a way to actuate the flaps which shouldn't be too difficult, there's space available. I am adding two CF rods to the lower half of the nose. These will extend forward further than the OEM rods through to the cowl ring. The thinned foam all around the hinging plate is about an .125" and about an inch deep. Structurally this new hinge plate stiffens the cut out area for the flaps. The CF rods might be a bit of overkill, but I'll sleep better and there is no real weight penalty. More when there is more. Best, LB
                                    Truly Spectacular. You've managed to take an extremely complicated and intricate design and finalize it into something that IMO, many of us novice modelers could actually install in their own Corsair, including the ability to open and close with the steel cable and a servo. No need to leave them static as your design allows making them operational with very little extra work. And on the one iconic piece of the Corsair that the FL model is lacking.

In retrospect, I now wish I had waited for your design instead of attempting to do the cowl flaps that I did, which I think were better than not having them, but no where near the product that you designed. I knew you would eventually get around to addressing the cowl flaps, but had assumed it would be so difficult for many of us to use, that I just went ahead and did my prehistoric version. Unfortunately the method I used would make it very difficult to cleanly remove them and the front section, so I'll just have to get another one and do the LB conversions.

Well done LB, you continue to inspire and amaze all of us!
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• ​​​​​Wild Man she sure is a beauty, great job getting her down in one piece. As Elbee said, always a great day.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Sir. I have test flown many Planes this Year for a lot of guys That know me in fact since the first of the year I have test flown over twenty planes of all types and categories. Bi-planes, small planes, large planes, planes with floats, EDF's singles and twins, Propped singles and twins and a couple quads I get a little nerves when they are mine. I love test flying for other's no matter what they want me to test fly for them, no brag just a fact For the first landing with the Flight line Corsair was right on even though I was holding in right aileron and almost forgot to put in more right rudder as she settled in being more concerned with keeping it level coming in

Comment

...managed...
                                        Hugh, as usual your words are most complimentary and I am humbled, thank you. Thus far, this particular mod has been very gratifying. The end result should be interesting if I can manage to actuate the cowl flaps in unison with the throttle or something like that. In any event the flaps move and the structure now seems sound. Best, LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                        X