Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could we possibly get back to the Corsair instead of seeing how many times I and other "scale nuts" can go into the dunk tank?LOLLOL

Comment

• Originally posted by brk6188 View Post
      Obviously I am so old that I still think $500 is more than just pocket money.
      I remember putting in over a grand ( in 80's money) in every 60 size Top Flight warbird I built. Makes that $500 hobby expense on anything a bit easier to deal with

Mike
      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Scale Police Alert:

Vought Salmon Primer: Apple Barrel 21470E Ripe Tomaro (WalMart $.50)

Vought Cockpit Green: 2parts Tamiya XF-67 NATO Green + 1 part Tamaya XF-61 Dark Green (acrylics)

Compaired to available photos, looks good to these Mark 1 eyeballs.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
          Could we possibly get back to the Corsair instead of seeing how many times I and other "scale nuts" can go into the dunk tank?LOLLOL
          See my post above (2283)...:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by theoldALFER View Post

Scale Police Alert:

Vought Salmon Primer: Apple Barrel 21470E Ripe Tomaro (WalMart $.50)

Vought Cockpit Green: 2parts Tamiya XF-67 NATO Green + 1 part Tamaya XF-61 Dark Green (acrylics)

Compaired to available photos, looks good to these Mark 1 eyeballs.
            Good job, for a backward prop running old dude!!!!! ;):Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool: Oh hell!! I just described myself!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Jerry

Comment

• :P:P:P:P:):):)

Comment

• Speaking of the FL Corsair 5055 340Kv motor.... Though currently out of stock I'm disappointed it doesn't come with the appropriate parts - "X" motor mount, attaching screws (pic 1) and prop adapter (pic 2). Though the attaching screws are no big deal (you can find them at any HW store) the motor mount is unique. In addition, the motor is also unique in that the face has the four (4) screw holes the prop adapter (pic 2) with the "HEX" head attaches and it's an extra part to buy. The "Prop Holder/Spinner" (Pic 4) has a 12mm recessed HEX (pic 3) to slide over the HEX on the prop adapter. So my point is you need more than just the motor; you need the prop adapter, prop holder (3 or 4 blade) and the "X" motor mount + screws. I wish MRC would bundle all the required parts and price accordingly instead of piece milling it OR be more clear of the various parts you need and disclose you need to purchase those extra parts. Customer Service explained they assume you'll use the existing X motor mount and prop adapter for the replacement motor??!! If you're replacing the motor it's for a reason and most likely all those extra parts are also needed. Just saying :)

Click image for larger version  Name:	FL 5055 340Kv Motor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	187005Click image for larger version  Name:	FMS Prop Adapter 2a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.1 KB ID:	187006Click image for larger version  Name:	Prop Setup 3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	187007 Click image for larger version

Name:	FMS 4 Blade Prop Hub.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	187017
                Last edited by Grover54; Mar 28, 2019, 11:53 AM. Reason: Add Pic

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post
                  Speaking of the FL Corsair 5055 340Kv motor.... Though currently out of stock I'm disappointed it doesn't come with the appropriate parts - "X" motor mount, attaching screws (pic 1) and prop adapter (pic 2). Though the attaching screws are no big deal (you can find them at any HW store) the motor mount is unique. In addition, the motor is also unique in that the face has the four (4) screw holes the prop adapter (pic 2) with the "HEX" head attaches and it's an extra part to buy. The "Prop Holder/Spinner" (Pic 4) has a 12mm recessed HEX (pic 3) to slide over the HEX on the prop adapter. So my point is you need more than just the motor; you need the prop adapter, prop holder (3 or 4 blade) and the "X" motor mount + screws. I wish MRC would bundle all the required parts and price accordingly instead of piece milling it OR be more clear of the various parts you need and disclose you need to purchase those extra parts. Customer Service explained they assume you'll use the existing X motor mount and prop adapter for the replacement motor??!! If you're replacing the motor it's for a reason and most likely all those extra parts are also needed. Just saying :)

Click image for larger version Name:	FL 5055 340Kv Motor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	187005Click image for larger version Name:	FMS Prop Adapter 2a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.1 KB ID:	187006Click image for larger version Name:	Prop Setup 3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	187007 Click image for larger version

Name:	FMS 4 Blade Prop Hub.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	187017
                  Sorry, I must have missed your post about this. What happened to your original motor?
                  On my FMS 1700mm Corsair, when I upgraded the motor from the 300kv to their 360kv motor for more grunt, it was easy since I could re-use the existing other parts. However, had I gone with a much more powerful, faster motor like this one, it all came as a complete collection of everything needed to do a transplant.

So, yes, it would be nice if these things could be packaged together but I can see where they don't want to do this for those who can use the old parts. Personally, I don't like paying for parts that I won't use. On the other hand, when I did the upgrade for my P-51 Mustang from the stock 4s motor to a 6s motor, I had to do the same thing and get all the little pieces separately.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    Sorry, I must have missed your post about this. What happened to your original motor?
                    On my FMS 1700mm Corsair, when I upgraded the motor from the 300kv to their 360kv motor for more grunt, it was easy since I could re-use the existing other parts. However, had I gone with a much more powerful, faster motor like this one, it all came as a complete collection of everything needed to do a transplant.

So, yes, it would be nice if these things could be packaged together but I can see where they don't want to do this for those who can use the old parts. Personally, I don't like paying for parts that I won't use. On the other hand, when I did the upgrade for my P-51 Mustang from the stock 4s motor to a 6s motor, I had to do the same thing and get all the little pieces separately.
                    Actually, me too. I purchased the 5060 300Kv FMS used in their 1600mm Corsair for my H9 P51D 20cc because I wanted a 4-blade prop and I really like the "encased" prop holder with the recessed 12mm "HEX" head. For $86 I thought I would get all the parts but now I see I could have purchased the 380Kv for about 1/2. What 5065 380Kv did you buy? Did it have the "HEX" head on the prop adapter? Lesson learned - Need to ask before I solo all the research.:Silly:

Comment

• XViper - Have any suggestions as to where I can find a 4-blade, 95mm (3.7") spinner? I've looked everywhere and No Joy. I heard about True Turn as an option but they won't even kiss me first for the price. How hard would it be to carefully modify my existing 2-blade spinner to a 4-blade? There's plenty of room to do it and I've heard others say they've done it if you balance it properly or is that an absolute No-No?

Comment

Actually, me too. I purchased the 5060 300Kv FMS used in their 1600mm Corsair for my H9 P51D 20cc because I wanted a 4-blade prop and I really like the "encased" prop holder with the recessed 12mm "HEX" head. For $86 I thought I would get all the parts but now I see I could have purchased the 380Kv for about 1/2. What 5065 380Kv did you buy? Did it have the "HEX" head on the prop adapter? Lesson learned - Need to ask before I solo all the research.:Silly:
                        I ended up buying the newer FMS 360kv motor that they eventually put into many of their big planes. At the time, the 360 motor came stock in their big Pits biplane. I found the 380 motor later but the Corsair performed so well with the 360 that I didn't see the point in another 20kv.

Comment

XViper - Have any suggestions as to where I can find a 4-blade, 95mm (3.7") spinner? I've looked everywhere and No Joy. I heard about True Turn as an option but they won't even kiss me first for the price. How hard would it be to carefully modify my existing 2-blade spinner to a 4-blade? There's plenty of room to do it and I've heard others say they've done it if you balance it properly or is that an absolute No-No?
                          I've done a lot of searching for various kinds of spinners. Sometimes, I got lucky, while most of the time, it was a dead end. Have your tried looking over the assortment of spinners at HobbyKing? If you are handy with a Dremel, it is possible to modify a spinner from a 2-blade to a 4 blade. It'll never turn out perfect so be prepared to balance the spinner by itself. Insofar as "spinners" go, this Corsair (and the FMS one) doesn't really have what one would call a spinner. It's basically a fancy nut or covering cone for the nut. The blades don't actually have to protrude through a spinner as such.
                          I was originally going to just use the 4-blade prop from my 1700mm Corsair like TiredIron did but I found that the hex base on the prop adaptor was a bit on the small side and it didn't bite the hex hole in the prop assembly. I suppose it "could" work. I'd just have to make sure the nut is very secure and maybe even apply some FoamTac on the surface touches the base of the prop adapter and the nut itself to prevent slippage. I've yet to maiden mine. I'll make the call after that to try the 4-blade or not.

Comment

I've done a lot of searching for various kinds of spinners. Sometimes, I got lucky, while most of the time, it was a dead end. Have your tried looking over the assortment of spinners at HobbyKing? If you are handy with a Dremel, it is possible to modify a spinner from a 2-blade to a 4 blade. It'll never turn out perfect so be prepared to balance the spinner by itself. Insofar as "spinners" go, this Corsair (and the FMS one) doesn't really have what one would call a spinner. It's basically a fancy nut or covering cone for the nut. The blades don't actually have to protrude through a spinner as such.
                            I was originally going to just use the 4-blade prop from my 1700mm Corsair like TiredIron did but I found that the hex base on the prop adaptor was a bit on the small side and it didn't bite the hex hole in the prop assembly. I suppose it "could" work. I'd just have to make sure the nut is very secure and maybe even apply some FoamTac on the surface touches the base of the prop adapter and the nut itself to prevent slippage. I've yet to maiden mine. I'll make the call after that to try the 4-blade or not.
                            Yes, the H9 P51D 20cc spinner is primarily for looks but here is what it will look like on the cowl and once I put the additional 2 slots in the spinner it will be a clean fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New FMS Motor 4a.JPG
Views:	808
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	187093Click image for larger version

Name:	New FMS Motor 4b.JPG
Views:	749
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	187094Click image for larger version

Name:	New FMS Motor 4c.JPG
Views:	774
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	187095

Comment

• Are you planning this spinner for the Corsair? I'm not so sure it'll look OK on a Corsair.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Grover54;n187092]

Yes, the H9 P51D 20cc spinner is primarily for looks but here is what it will look like on the cowl and once I put the additional 2 slots in the spinner it will be a clean fit.

Yes, I'm also confused. Is this for the Corsair or like an FMS P-51. If it's for the Corsair you might want to think about the prop and hub for the FMS 1700 mm P-47. It's a four blade 17" diameter prop and hub assembly that would probably work on the Flightline 1600mm Corsair. But if it's for a P-51 that's a horse of a different color. Please advise.:Confused:

Comment

• Stay focused boys, you almost confused meLOL............Grover wants to put a 4 blade on his H9 P-51 as mentioned on post #2289 and again on 2293 ;)
                                  Warbird Charlie
                                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                    Stay focused boys, you almost confused meLOL............Grover wants to put a 4 blade on his H9 P-51 as mentioned on post #2289 and again on 2293 ;)
                                    You mean post #2286. I had to do a double take. The P-51 reference was like "the forest for the trees" - didn't even register. I'm so old, that if you fart, it had better be loud. If I can't hear it, I won't smell it either. :Silly:

Comment

• At least my oldness has a medical reason now a days for juxtaposing the 6/9 and the CRS..........chemobrain;)
                                      So your like a skunk, can't smell your own :Poo:LOL
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Are you planning this spinner for the Corsair? I'm not so sure it'll look OK on a Corsair.
                                        LOLOLOL!!!!! Ok, a bit off topic but No absolutely not. I was talking using the same motor as the Corsair.

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                          At least my oldness has a medical reason now a days for juxtaposing the 6/9 and the CRS..........chemobrain;)
                                          So your like a skunk, can't smell your own :Poo:LOL
                                          I always tell my wife one of two things .............................. "My shxt don't stink." OR "The dog did it."

Comment

Working...
                                          X