X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

I had the very same question and I'm glad stock is 3 blade as you said because I already have the decals from Callie for number 29 Ira Kepford's plane! Gave me a start for a minute. Anybody know if there a sliding canopy coming to show off that cockpit?
    DWL, Both Corsair kits are a 3-blade variant. There is a good book series from 'way back when' from Crown Publications. The Corsair book's cover is Kepford's #29 and the pull-out illustration by artist Rikyu Watanabe is his, as well. Great illustrations, good story on Kepford and his unit. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	995
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	169901
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

DWL, Both Corsair kits are a 3-blade variant. There is a good book series from 'way back when' from Crown Publications. The Corsair book's cover is Kepford's #29 and the pull-out illustration by artist Rikyu Watanabe is his, as well. Great illustrations, good story on Kepford and his unit. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	995
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	169901
      Yes. This book is in my "library" as well. Back in the day, or "Way back when", Rikyu Watanabe did probably the best color profile renderings.
      In today's environment I'd have to say that Tom Tullis and Mark Styling do some of the best.
      Here's a link to Mark's website.
      Aircraft illustration - side views, combat paintings and civil aircraft promotional / publishing work. Prints can be ordered directly from this site or commissions can be taken.

BB

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post

Yes. This book is in my "library" as well. Back in the day, or "Way back when", Rikyu Watanabe did probably the best color profile renderings. In today's environment, I'd have to say that Tom Tullis and Mark Styling do some of the best. Here's a link to Mark's website. https://www.markstyling.com/F4U_01.htmBB
        BB, A&A! Glad someone else remembers, Watanabe.LOL I am certain your rendition will be equally as good. Thank you for the link. On my way there now. :Cool: Best, LB

ps: The Mark Styling website has many different schemes and good pilot info. If you can't find a different scheme there that's not OEM you'd like to do, I'd be surprised. Thanks again BB.
        Last edited by Elbee; Jan 2, 2019, 10:41 AM. Reason: Added post script.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I have the compilation called the Great Book of WWII fighters with Mr. Watanabe's renderings of 12 of the best including the Corsair as you said, P-38, F6F,P-51, etc. They include awesome cutaways and details not to be found elsewhere. Best centerfolds this side of Playboy.;)

Comment

I have the compilation called the Great Book of WWII fighters with Mr. Watanabe's renderings of 12 of the best including the Corsair as you said, P-38, F6F,P-51, etc. They include awesome cutaways and details not to be found elsewhere. Best centerfolds this side of Playboy.;)
            DWL, Yes, that is the compilation edition and has all of that series. Great Book! I bought the set individually and had to wait from year to year to get all the volumes. THEN, they issued the full book. GO FIgure. Anyway, it is seriously great art in my humblest opinion. Best, LB
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Begging your pardon Cdrop20 but the base coat of most of those surfaces should be zinc chromate. It was used on almost every surface of most warbird interiors, wheel wells, cockpit interiors, etc. to cut down on oxidation. It was sort of a bright yellow/green color,not olive green. Hope that helps in a positive way. Check out the federal standard colors if your interested.
              Thank you for the heads up :) Nothing a little more paint cant fix right? I will look into trying to get a better match for paint. You wouldn't happen to know what acrylic paint would best match for the base coat of a scale cockpit would you?

Nevermind: see edit below
              Last edited by Cdrop20; Jan 2, 2019, 12:00 PM. Reason: Edit: Never mind i just looked at the above links for the interior colors and that should answer my question. Thank you for the help and input!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdrop20 View Post

Thank you for the heads up :) Nothing a little more paint cant fix right? I will look into trying to get a better match for paint. You wouldn't happen to know what acrylic paint would best match for the base coat of a scale cockpit would you?

Cdrop20, not sure which Tamiya "Olive Green" you used but the below from the IPMS article indicates you are right on.

--------------------------------------------------------
                Dark Dull Green

Dull Dark Green was an outgrowth of Bronze Green introduced in September 1942. When introduced, Dull Dark Green was intended as a substitute/replacement for Bronze Green. There has been much confusion about the difference between the two colours. Without being conclusive, it would appear that the shades were very similar, with Bronze Green being slightly darker and semi-gloss. The sheen of Bronze Green was one reason why the all-matt alternative was sought.

When issued, the Dull Dark Green was to be used for tactical aircraft with enclosed crew cabins - i.e. bombers. However, it seems to have gained much greater popularity than intended by the ANA officials. The use of Dull Dark Green can be confirmed for cockpits of F4U Corsairs, later-production Avengers, P-51s, and P-47s as well as forward crew areas of B-17s, B-24s and B-29s. Interestingly, the use of Dull Dark Green in fighters ignored the general specifications calling for interior green in those aircraft.

Dull Dark Green was no longer included in the 1943 ANA colour standard, but the colour was still used. For example, later Erection & Maintenance manuals for the P-51D called for Dull Dark Green for certain cockpit components like seats.

FS 34092 seems to be a reasonable match for Dull Dark Green, with a comment that the original colour was slightly darker.

-----------------------------

This from another source as to which "Tamiya" paints best represent FS 34092/

FS 34092 Euro I Dark Green Military: United States

From: Authors personal mix To one pot of XF-26 (10ML) add 105 dr ops of XF-24 and 10 drops of XF-8.
                OR
                XF11 - J.N. GREEN: 3
                XF58 - OLIVE GREEN: 2

----------------------------

Cheers! BB

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdrop20 View Post

I just did a color match from R. Watanabe's color renderings on the Corsair. I've taken pictures of the cockpits of three Corsairs and found them to be the lighter green like in the book referred to earlier but they were all Marine Corsairs and thus were earlier variants but still the Bubble vs. the Birdcage. Take your pick I guess.:Confused:Personally, I like the lighter green for more contrast against the black instrument panel.

Comment

• I agree I prefer the look of the brighter zinc chromate green....But good to know there are multiple shades and it's still scale!

Name:	cockpit12.jpg
Views:	1449
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	170059

My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Wow Aros, Pappy's office looks pretty dang good there. It needs a home! Go Hawks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                        I agree I prefer the look of the brighter zinc chromate green...But good to know there are multiple shades and it's still scale!
                        Aros, Is that a full-size 'scaled' cockpit, eg, there's room to use a full-body pilot? It's good to be the king. LOL Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hi, Can someone please post the 3d-printer files for the cockpit ?
                          I found the original post on page 2 , but looks like the files have been removed.

Thanks for any help

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                            Aros, Is that a full-size 'scaled' cockpit, eg, there's room to use a full-body pilot? It's good to be the king. LOL Best, LB
                            LOL not quite but it's pretty good size! In fact my 1:5 Pappy has been waiting to surround himself with the ESM 85" Corsair he belongs in.

Name:	pappyhome4.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	170139

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by fishzilla View Post
                              Hi, Can someone please post the 3d-printer files for the cockpit? I found the original post on page 2 but looks like the files have been removed. Thanks for any help
                              FZ, Check again in Quote #24. I think I had to download these one at a time. If this does not work, let me know and I'll post a zip file. Best, LB
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Folks, I have added the STL files as a ZIP file to both Corsair Support pages. You can download them here:

FlightLine F4U-1D Corsair "Bubble Top" 1600mm (63") Wingspan - PNP - FLW3041P The F4U Corsair was a carrier-based and land-based aircraft developed during WWII. Its unique inverted sea-gull wing is its distinctive feature, as well as its maneuverability and versatility to operate in many areas. Its powerful engine, pro
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by fishzilla View Post
                                  Hi, Can someone please post the 3d-printer files for the cockpit ?
                                  I found the original post on page 2 , but looks like the files have been removed.

Thanks for any help
                                  Make sure you're logged in to Hobby Squawk. I've noticed that the links didn't work for me unless I was logged in.

Comment

• Pappy!!!! :Cool::Cool:

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1562.JPG
Views:	949
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	170280 FYI, Model Master acrylics does offer both a regular Zinc Oxide (no FS#) and an "Interior Green", FS34151. My challenge is finding a good color source for the "Blue Gray" of the two-toned F4U-1's (FS35189) as opposed to the "Intermediate Blue" of the three-toned F4U-1 and F4U-1A's (FS35164). Tamiya calls out a color mix for both as being the same, but clearly they are not. The fading from the sun has a huge impact on the color too, but that older blue gray (same as on the F4F Wildcats and others) is hard to find! Rob

Comment

• I am curious about the top end of this Corsair. Is it comparable to the 1600mm Spitfire?

What do you think if I used a FMS 17 inch 4 blade or the Spitfire's 16 inch 4 blade on the Corsair? What performance differences would I expect to see?

My first corsair (which I still have) is the 2nd edition Parkzone Corsair. Overtime, I put in a e-flite P25 motor and a 4 blade prop. It keeps up with most gassers and still retained its flight characteristics. I've been a corsair fan ever since. MRC, it looks as though you put everything I've wanted to see put into a corsair foamy since I started modifying my Parkzone! Wonderful!

I have your 1600 Spitfire. I'm very impressed with this plane. Looks great, great comments from the club, Impressive vertical power and so on. I do, however find myself trying to add more power. I add more throttle for more "go" and notice that my stick is at it's maximum. This is why I'm asking about top end on this model. I'm assuming that I already know the answer. I think that I wish that the plane's top end was more comparable to other 60 size warbirds.

When I purchase this corsair, I'm thinking about a later version Blue and white "Orlathe" version, which uses a 4 blade propeller, so that's why my first question.

Lastly, do you have any plans for a more realistic dummy engine? If not, I may have to spend a bit more time modifying.... :)

Thanks for in advance to your reply

SJ

I

Comment

• Is it here yet lol
                                          AMA 1102566

Comment

Working...
                                          X