X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post
    XViper - Have any suggestions as to where I can find a 4-blade, 95mm (3.7") spinner? I've looked everywhere and No Joy. I heard about True Turn as an option but they won't even kiss me first for the price. How hard would it be to carefully modify my existing 2-blade spinner to a 4-blade? There's plenty of room to do it and I've heard others say they've done it if you balance it properly or is that an absolute No-No?
    The Spit has the same motor and X mount but the prop driver and some of the mounting screws are different. They included everything on the Spitfire assembly

oops, the motor is 5055 x 390kv

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fl...rushless-motor

Rich

Comment

• Sorry guys...I didn't mean to get off into the weeds on this. I was just wanting to communicate and glean information on using the FL Corsair motor or the FMS 1600mm Corsair motor in other planes (in my case the H9 P51D 20cc). These are solid, powerful motors that can drive a 4-blade prop for scale. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

• Finally I ordered F4U-1D bubble top.
        I have two questions (perhaps silly).
        1. Should recommended CG be measured with landing gear stowed or deployed?
        2. I checked several photos of original F4Us and I found that nomenclature is in white.
        Unfortunately Callie Gaphics offer only black version.
        Does anybody know where I can buy white version (on reasonable price) or perhaps it's nothing wrong to use black?
        Thanks for advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by zygmunt View Post
          Finally I ordered F4U-1D bubble top.
          2. I checked several photos of original F4Us and I found that nomenclature is in white.
          Does anybody know where I can buy white version (on reasonable price) or perhaps it's nothing wrong to use black?
          Thanks for advice.
          1.Most folks are balancing with gear extended. You will get a very small aft CG shift when gear retracted but nothing to worry about. You can always adjust to suit your preference.
          2. Callie is the best. If you send them a note they can generate all their products in any color you like. Custom stuff usually has a nominal up charge though.

Comment

• Thanks Beeg.
            What conerns graphics Callie announced that due to their equipment limitations they can't make so small letters in white.

Comment

• Originally posted by zygmunt View Post
              Finally I ordered F4U-1D bubble top.
              Thanks for advice.
              ZYG -
              1. CG - I've checked both but lean toward gear stowed. Slight difference but really not noticeable. The "consistent" position of the battery is most important.
              2. Agree on the Callie Graphics issue. I've communicated w/ Callie and they are very limited on "white" nomenclature decals / stickers especially small characters. Printers that print white start at 6 figures so it's cost prohibitive. Regardless, Callie is still the best product around and surpasses the quality of most all the livery I've seen.

As far as a solution, I found various sheets of decals / stickers at a local "Craft" store like Ben Franklin's that are heavy into crafts. The only caveat is some of the character styles / fonts may be a little different so you'll just have to look. Good hunting!

Comment

• Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post

The Spit has the same motor and X mount but the prop driver and some of the mounting screws are different. They included everything on the Spitfire assembly

oops, the motor is 5055 x 390kv

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fl...rushless-motor

Rich
                It does look like you can attached the right prop adapter to this motor and it comes with all the hardware BUT unfortunately the 5055 390Kv is only 950W and you need a min of 1500W to drive the FMS 4-blade prop on a bird with a 11 - 13lb flying weight. I'll look into this family and see if they have a 1500w motor. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

• MOTION RC - Sets The Standard For Customer Service!!!! I want to share this with everyone especially if you have any reservation about MRC. I'm sure you all have, in part, followed my postings about my disappointment that the proprietary "X" motor mount and other hardware did not come with the FMS 5060 300Kv motor I purchased from Motion. I felt for $86 (which is 2X the cost of other comparable motors that include their hardware) I should have gotten the required hardware. After speaking to MRC Customer Service a few times on this issue they agreed to send me all the hardware at no cost including shipping! I didn't expect this though I did ask for some relief on the shipping costs but they covered it all and sent the items out yesterday. I don't have the words to express the level of appreciation I have for this stand-up organization.:Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool: Thank You Motion! Grover54

Comment

MOTION RC - Sets The Standard For Customer Service!!!! I want to share this with everyone especially if you have any reservation about MRC. I'm sure you all have, in part, followed my postings about my disappointment that the proprietary "X" motor mount and other hardware did not come with the FMS 5060 300Kv motor I purchased from Motion. I felt for $86 (which is 2X the cost of other comparable motors that include their hardware) I should have gotten the required hardware. After speaking to MRC Customer Service a few times on this issue they agreed to send me all the hardware at no cost including shipping! I didn't expect this though I did ask for some relief on the shipping costs but they covered it all and sent the items out yesterday. I don't have the words to express the level of appreciation I have for this stand-up organization.:Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool: Thank You Motion! Grover54
                    My dad always said "the squeaky hinge gets the oil'.;)Hope that setup works for you.:Cool:We're all lucky to have this veteran supporting stand-up company that we can all feel good about.:Cool::Cool:

Comment

• Yes, I have confidence in what I'm trying to do in terms of the 4-blade prop set up and the motor I've chosen but I continue to be frustrated that I can't find a 4-blade spinner that I can adapt to the FMS 17X10 4-blade prop and prop holder. I feel this is nuts but I understand every manufacturer tries to make things proprietary to their stuff. I'm still looking ……. perseverance is a fancy word applied to those of us too stupid to give up.!!! LOLLOLLOLLOL

Comment

Yes, I have confidence in what I'm trying to do in terms of the 4-blade prop set up and the motor I've chosen but I continue to be frustrated that I can't find a 4-blade spinner that I can adapt to the FMS 17X10 4-blade prop and prop holder. I feel this is nuts but I understand every manufacturer tries to make things proprietary to their stuff. I'm still looking ……. perseverance is a fancy word applied to those of us too stupid to give up.!!! LOLLOLLOLLOL
                        Hey Grover, if you haven't already, check out the rc groups thread on the Hangar nine 20cc P-51 electric conversion. They are using a rimfire 1.20 motor and the FMS 4 blade prop. Lots of good info there. I saw where one guy just maidened his with good success with a 2 blade to start with.:Cool:You can always go with tru turn for a spinner. They will custom slot it for any prop.

Comment

Yes, I have confidence in what I'm trying to do in terms of the 4-blade prop set up and the motor I've chosen but I continue to be frustrated that I can't find a 4-blade spinner that I can adapt to the FMS 17X10 4-blade prop and prop holder. I feel this is nuts but I understand every manufacturer tries to make things proprietary to their stuff. I'm still looking ……. perseverance is a fancy word applied to those of us too stupid to give up.!!! LOLLOLLOLLOL
                          Since it’s for a Mustang and you’re using the FMS 17x10x4 prop, which is used on the 1700mm FMS P-51, can’t you use the spinner for that prop?
                          https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...409_424&page=3

Comment

• Small differences in models mean a big difference in spinners. 2 mustangs by different makers with the same wingspan will usually use different size spinners.

"Scale" is a relative term... AMA "outline fidelity" rules for scale competition. say +/- 10%. If one is + 10% and the other is -10%, that is HUGE change.
                            The makers of these foam models don't even have to be within 10%... And you can make a mustang look good with deviations of over 15% in some places.

There is always an answer though... Redneck engineering to home make a spinner.

Cut a disc of 1/16 thick aircraft plywood. and a matching cylinder (close enough is good if its oversize)Cut the foam t allow the prop to fit between it and the disc. Allow room in center for the hub nut and end of the shaft.
                            Put a bolt in the center of the disc, with the disc between 2 washers and tighten down a nut to hold it securely
                            Tack glue the foam to the disc, (you can add dowels in the foam as "hard points" for screws instead)
                            Chuck the bolt in a drill or drill press. If using the drill, duct tape it to the workbench.

Spin the assembly and sand to shape using progressively finer paper as you get near final shape. do not spin it too fast... and do not apply to much pressure.

When its final shape, apply sealer and paint.

I turned the inlet ring for a 127 mm 5000 watt EDF with exactly this method, from layers of pink building insulation foam. People asked me who I had make the custom fiberglass inlet ring... it wasn't fiberglassed.

I did have the main nacelle body and cone cut by a foam cutter, since I was having a set of cores for a 107 inch span Me262 cut at the same time.
                            He did the nacelle pieces free because of the cost of the wings.

This is the nacelle.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like FHHuber.
                            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Hey Grover, if you haven't already, check out the rc groups thread on the Hangar nine 20cc P-51 electric conversion. They are using a rimfire 1.20 motor and the FMS 4 blade prop. Lots of good info there. I saw where one guy just maidened his with good success with a 2 blade to start with.:Cool:You can always go with tru turn for a spinner. They will custom slot it for any prop.
                              Thanks, I should be having this conversation in that thread anyway. Sorry I've moved the conversation from this beautiful Corsair.....Now lets get back to this baby! :Cool:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair Maiden MMRC 3.2.19.jpeg
Views:	740
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	187400

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                Since it’s for a Mustang and you’re using the FMS 17x10x4 prop, which is used on the 1700mm FMS P-51, can’t you use the spinner for that prop?
                                https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...409_424&page=3
                                Thanks Xviper but I think I've had an epiphany. It's now obvious this is a DFU problem. The reason I can't find a spinner for my 4-blade prop set up is I'm wanting to use the "Prop Hub / Holder" with the 12mm HEX recess.

Name:	Prop Setup 3.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	187402

There's no way I can fit a spinner backplate under this set up since the prop "hub / holder" is actually the spinner itself. I may simply need to change my direction and use a different prop setup but I need to figure this out so I'll take it to the Hangar9 P-51 thread and not annoy anyone further. Thanks for you inputs :Cool:

Comment

• One mre cmment... insert the shaft with the Hex in any plastic backplate spinner. Impact the back of the prop adapter to impress the hex on the backplate. Cut the lines you created.
                                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Thanks Xviper but I think I've had an epiphany. It's now obvious this is a DFU problem. The reason I can't find a spinner for my 4-blade prop set up is I'm wanting to use the "Prop Hub / Holder" with the 12mm HEX recess.

Name:	Prop Setup 3.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	187402

There's no way I can fit a spinner backplate under this set up since the prop "hub / holder" is actually the spinner itself. I may simply need to change my direction and use a different prop setup but I need to figure this out so I'll take it to the Hangar9 P-51 thread and not annoy anyone further. Thanks for you inputs :Cool:
                                    Check your PM messages.

Comment

• Hey guys, I was able to maiden my Corsair last Sunday, first outing for my club this spring - first weekend of the year that it was halfway decent (low wind, no rain, temps in the mid 40's in NE Ohio) so we got out there and had a little bonfire going and had a good time. A friend taped my flights (I had 4) including some air-to-air video shot from his drone, and put together this edited video. Its nothing to rave about, but I had a good time. At one point I tried a power dive to see if the plane would "whistle". It did! But you can't hear it on the video.

My Aspire sound card stopped working during the first flight, I think the small battery I was using for that wasn't fully charged. And the first flight was a little hairy because the elevator was WAY too sensitive! I was struggling... so I brought it back in to make an adjustment. I reduced the elevator throw on the radio to 70% and put in 30% expo for the second flight, this made a really big difference.

I found it very easy to fly and land. I used Admiral 5000s and a RT 6250. After 6 minutes in the air with mixed throttle settings the Admiral was at 55% capacity.
                                      What a cool model! Deploying full flaps tilted the nose down ever so slightly, which is not a bad thing. I didn't use any elevator trim at all.

You'll notice that I installed the FMS 4-bladed prop that George (TI) featured at the beginning of this thread. I think it performed really well, I have no complaints!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-QPcty6b6U
                                      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Great job on the maiden! Enjoyed the video and the drone chase footage. Well done!
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                                          You'll notice that I installed the FMS 4-bladed prop that George (TI) featured at the beginning of this thread. I think it performed really well, I have no complaints!!
                                          I don't think George addressed this specific question of mine so I'll pose it here. When you put on the 4-blade from the FMS Corsair, did the hex hole on the back plate match up with the hex nut on the motor shaft adapter? I found the hex nut was smaller than the hole. Did you do anything to ensure that the prop would not slip?

Comment

Working...
                                          X