Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
    Detail, details.

Has anyone else noticed that the model is missing a Pitot tube on the left wing? We need to add that. Maybe a 3D part?

Also, from the Corsairs I have seen, the "step" in the right-side inboard flap is a hole that goes all the way through.
    Easy to see in this pic of a F-4U I took a few years back at an airshow.
    This bird has blue legs!
    I haven't decided whether I should cut the flap step out on the model. What do you guys think? Maybe this was only on later models?

Click image for larger version Name:	F4U-4_Bu97388_front_view[1].jpg Views:	1 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	177484
    I am using the pitot tube from the 1500mm FMS P-47. As far as the step goes, the F4U-1 (Birdcage) did not have a step cutout at all in that location. On the D model, there was a step, but I don't think it went completely through the flap body, but I will try to find documentation to back that up. The Corsair you have pictured is a later model, like a F4U-4, maybe. LOL Lastly, they changed the overall color to the gloss navy blue in 1944 (?) so the undercarriage and wheel wells all got sprayed the body color... Hope this somewhat flaky data helps!!! I will verify it as the day progresses!! Jerry

Comment

• Originally posted by theoldALFER View Post
      Sorry. What I meant is that one of our fellow “contributor “ posted pictures of how he upgraded the cowl usin some electric wire etc.
      cant seem to find :Confused:
      Sorry about that! I thought you meant the spare part itself.

My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• 100% Sure on this - The F4U1 “Birdcage” ain’t got no stinking step in the starboard flap.
        Less sure- the -1A didn’t either.

Step showed up late -1D or maybe with the intro of the -4.

Comment

• Hope this helps

Comment

• I hope you enjoy this:
            I wanted to show Kenneth Walsh’s Lucky 13 as it would look when being flown from the dirt fields at Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands. The VFM -124 was the first Marine Air Group to have the Corsairs. I used the photos shown as a guide to my weathering, without them I would have never gone this far. I wanted to show an airplane that was being flown in daily combat and often at a great distance. (On a side note, if you study the Battle of Guadalcanal and the fighting up the Solomon Islands the air war was an dalily event, often twice a day. How the men on both sides did it was unbelievable. The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign is a great book for this, it is available at Kindle Books)

The whole process took about three weeks, most of this time was spent ordering paints, then testing what color to be used as a base paint and how other colors would react or show up on the base coat. For the weathered bare aluminum I used two colors, a light gray and a steel. The aluminum paints are very shiny, even the steel is too bright, I was trying to show weathered aluminum with just a little shine to it. While I am satisfied with these results. I will continue to work for a better results, maybe after twenty of these I may get it down.
            Thank you for allowing me to share.
            I am happy how this turned out, very close to Kenneth Walsh Lucky 13

Ken
            Last edited by Ken Smith; Feb 8, 2019, 11:26 AM. Reason: Fix photos

Comment

• Newbie here. I have been haunting this thread from the start and I seem to recall someone wondering if there were any Pacific theatre pilots available. I came across a WWII era Navy pilot .STL file on CGTrader that was just published. Thought maybe one of you 3D printer gurus might want to give it a try. My apologies if this link has already been posted.
              Professional 3D printing models usable on all 3D printers. Print-ready 3D models are available in nine categories, including artistic sculptures, mathematical art, fashion items, gadget accessories and many other objects. Printable models are available in all industry standard file formats, including OBJ, STL, and WRL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken Smith View Post
                I hope you enjoy this:
                I wanted to show Kenneth Walsh’s Lucky 13 as it would look when being flown from the dirt fields at Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands. The VFM -124 was the first Marine Air Group to have the Corsairs. I used the photos shown as a guide to my weathering, without them I would have never gone this far. I wanted to show an airplane that was being flown in daily combat and often at a great distance. (On a side note, if you study the Battle of Guadalcanal and the fighting up the Solomon Islands the air war was an dalily event, often twice a day. How the men on both sides did it was unbelievable. The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign is a great book for this, it is available at Kindle Books)

The whole process took about three weeks, most of this time was spent ordering paints, then testing what color to be used as a base paint and how other colors would react or show up on the base coat. For the weathered bare aluminum I used two colors, a light gray and a steel. The aluminum paints are very shiny, even the steel is too bright, I was trying to show weathered aluminum with just a little shine to it. While I am satisfied with these results. I will continue to work for a better results, maybe after twenty of these I may get it down.
                Very cool Ken, wonderful job! Thanks for sharing!
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by jadams812 View Post
                  Newbie here. I have been haunting this thread from the start and I seem to recall someone wondering if there were any Pacific theatre pilots available. I came across a WWII era Navy pilot .STL file on CGTrader that was just published. Thought maybe one of you 3D printer gurus might want to give it a try. My apologies if this link has already been posted.
                  JA, Thank you for the link and this is the direct link https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-mo.../us-navy-pilot Got it, btw, but have not yet printed one. I will post to you and the forum when I do. And Welcome to the "Squawk", sir. Best, LB
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Awesome job Ken!!!! :Cool::Cool::Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by jadams812 View Post
                      Newbie here. I have been haunting this thread from the start and I seem to recall someone wondering if there were any Pacific theatre pilots available. I came across a WWII era Navy pilot .STL file on CGTrader that was just published. Thought maybe one of you 3D printer gurus might want to give it a try. My apologies if this link has already been posted.
                      Welcome to Hobby Squawk!!! Nice file for the pilot!!! Many thanks!!! Jerry

Comment

I hope you enjoy this:

I am happy how this turned out, very close to Kenneth Walsh Lucky 13

Ken
                        MAGNIFICENT!!!! I'm always amazed but not surprised how the "South Pacific" theater was absolutely hell on these birds and all planes for that matter. The sandy Middle East is nothing compared to the humidity, dirt and salt these babies endured. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

JA, Thank you for the link and this is the direct link https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-mo.../us-navy-pilot Got it, btw, but have not yet printed one. I will post to you and the forum when I do. And Welcome to the "Squawk", sir. Best, LB
                          Thanks, guys. I have learned a lot from this forum.

Yeah, Elbee, I linked the designers main page because of the other pilot offerings he had. I have an AOI pilot bust for my FMS Mustang and thinking of "Frankensteining" the AOI with the lower torso, forearms, and legs from the USAAF pilot .STL file, as I am scratch building a full cockpit for the 'Stang. Looking forward to seeing your print.

Comment

• Thanks to all, it was a learning experience and a fun one. Got over carried in one or two places but overall happy.

Ken

Comment

• Originally posted by theoldALFER View Post
                              100% Sure on this - The F4U1 “Birdcage” ain’t got no stinking step in the starboard flap.
                              Less sure- the -1A didn’t either.

Step showed up late -1D or maybe with the intro of the -4.

Comment

• Nice pilot link! Looks great and in the talented hands of someone like AkumaZeto that would be a great pilot to add to many a warbird.
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Thanks to all, it was a learning experience and a fun one. Got over carried in one or two places but overall happy.

Ken
                                  Lovely job Ken. Especially the underbelly looks awesome. I would like to imitate that on mine.
                                  Tolga
                                  Instagram: @_t01ga_
                                  YouTube: t01ga

Comment

• Originally posted by t01ga View Post

Lovely job Ken. Especially the underbelly looks awesome. I would like to imitate that on mine.
                                    Thanks, Vallejo paints are the secret and knowing when to stop.

Ken

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                      Nice pilot link! Looks great and in the talented hands of someone like AkumaZeto that would be a great pilot to add to many a warbird.
                                      Some of these pilots are amazing sculpts but suffer from really bad prints. I would love to see some of these printed with a Form 2
                                      AMA 1102566

Comment

• F4-U was in the flight operations rotation today in the Arizona desert....had some pretty good flights with the Corsair, and her landing gear handles our dirt field easily...best part of the day was bringing her in with full barn door flaps at super slow speeds, and no elevator mix was necessary for my liking..., and when I pointed her nose up into the sky, she flew out of sight....my brother John said he has some fotos of the F4-U in some dirty passes, so i'll post them later...

Comment

• Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post

Some of these pilots are amazing sculpts but suffer from really bad prints. I would love to see some of these printed with a Form 2
                                          Are the bad prints strictly a resolution issue with the printer? I am new to 3D printing and researching the myriad of printers and filaments is like drinking from a fire hose.

Comment

Working...
                                          X