X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post

Got it! THANKS! This may be the ticket. I've never had to do that on any plane before but then again, this is the very first PNP new out of the box plane for me. I've had a lot of ARFs but did my own motor install and ESC programming so I bet calibration is the ticket. Stay tuned.
    You are welcome, I figured you know this stuff but sometimes we just need to step outside the box once in a while. :) I calibrate all of my new ESC's in these planes (even if they work) just to make sure they are matched to my radio throttle range.

Hope you get your problem solved soon.
    Rich

Comment

• I’m running the AR620 receiver also. First experience with it and it’s doing great. I’m curious how they preform in a gas plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by theoldALFER View Post
        Md_ Cobra,
        We all love the Corsair, but up until late 1944, the markings were pretty simple (dull/drab) compared to the Army fighter aircraft in the Southwest Pacific and Solomon Islands. Late 44 and 1945 saw Navy units with more “lively” squadron markings - but then the entire aircraft was one color (Deep Sea Blue).
        For the F4U-1A or -1D, my choice would be one with the 1943 Red boarders National Insignia. That’s about as colorful as they get.
        Hope that stears you in some direction.

:corsair
        I’m looking to do the red boarders Insignia but I’m curious about the nose art. I’m not on the scale patrol but I don’t want to just make something up. Idk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Md_cobra View Post

I’m looking to do the red boarders Insignia but I’m curious about the nose art. I’m not on the scale patrol but I don’t want to just make something up. Idk.
          Nose art on Corsairs is extremely rare. Probably less than a dozen known examples. Usually just a few words, short phrase and even that is rare on the F4U. Most folks first decide on one of the three base color schemes, Blue over gray, three tone or over all blue based on year model. Then usually pick a squadron based on special insignia if they had one. Navy/Marine aircraft weren't that colorful during the war.
          If you want to browse some possibilities visit Mark Stylings website for ideas.
          Aircraft illustration - side views, combat paintings and civil aircraft promotional / publishing work. Prints can be ordered directly from this site or commissions can be taken.

Comment

• Here is a very unique nose art on a Marine Corsair

Comment

• Beeg, thanks. I’ve been on that site for sometime now. I’ve also been on https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/VMF214.html
              looks like #93 was part of the VMF 214 Black Sheep squadron. Again there is only the picture of the port side of the plane. I did see some nose art but it looks to be on a later variant. Pics below.

Comment

• Not until Korea

Ken

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuart.MotionRC View Post
                  Looking forward myself to getting our MotionRC EU bird in the air tomorrow for the test flight and to airing my choice of scheme, FG-1D Corsair G-FGID (representing British Fleet Air Arm machine, KD345 of 1850 Squadron during September 1945, when they were embarked on HMS Vengeance of the British Pacific Fleet). I've seen the full size many time at Duxford, and being a Brit myself, it seemed like the logical choice ;) The great thing about representing an airshow circuit bird, I don't need to be concerned with weathering . Its been a while since I used yellow on a model too, I forgot just how many coats it needs to look presentable, close to 15 on the cowl, from an acrylic based spray can, a compressor would have been ideal, but is still on the wish list.

Please excuse the kiddies toys and mess in the photo, but for anyone with a young family I'm sure this is a familiar sight, parents and kids toys in every room at one point or another :D Oh and the mess, kids went to sleep and I chose to work on the bent wing bird, then tidy up for the night! Left the Rx at work too, so she'll be finally set up and on her legs in the morning.

A HUGE thank you to Callie at Callie graphics for the decals for KD345, they arrived just this afternoon and were, as always, a pure pleasure to work with and look great too IMO. One thing of note, in a previous post I sung the praises of our hinge tape (blendurm) for masking, it is amazing, but I forgot the one cardinal rule when applying it, you need to apply it you jeans/trousers before applying it to the model, to reduce the tackiness of it, otherwise, well, I think some of you can see the problem if you look closely enough. It has a temporary color fix on it now and will be made 100% once I get a color match.

We plan to shot an additional flight review tomorrow all being well with the weather, so keep an eye out for that coming a little later.

Stuart.
                  Hey Stuart...I saw your bird last year at Duxford! Great job! Rob Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1180.JPG
Views:	816
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	179347Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1288.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	179348Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1289.JPG
Views:	830
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	179349

Comment

• Here are the updated .STL files for the Bubbletop cockpit. Once again, thanks to Elbee for taking the time to develop these new files for use. If you find any issue with the sizing of the side panels specifically please let Elbee and/or myself know.

My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Thanks for the comments gents. Whilst I did maiden her today, I need to do some tweaking on the finish before we'll commit to video, but it is coming real soon. One thing, this scheme really stands out in the air, so I can recommend it to anyone looking for something a little exotic on there Corsair and great visibility.

S.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post

Hey Stuart...I saw your bird last year at Duxford! Great job! Rob Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1180.JPG
Views:	816
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	179347Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1288.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	179348Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1289.JPG
Views:	830
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	179349
                        Hey Rob, glad you got to Duxford! The Stephen Grey Collection is awesome.....one of the best Air Museums I've seen. Did you have the British lunch there? I'm just flashing back on the pork and beans with toast, sliced tomatoes, etc." Quite Nice! " ..... or was it the bangers and mash ?"little bit of alright":)Not as good as the In and Out though.:Drooling:

Comment

• LOL I feasted on the most incredible collection of planes I have ever seen...there wasn't time to eat lunch! But now that you mention it Brad, I'm thinking I could use a Double Double with onions! Rob

Comment

• Was fortunate to live 20 miles from Duxford for many years. Awesome facility that I could visit day after day after ----- ! Remember many days when Grey would come in and flip a coin basically to see which of his aircraft he would fly that morning and then one got a very nice impromptu air display !

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuart.MotionRC View Post
                              Looking forward myself to getting our MotionRC EU bird in the air tomorrow for the test flight and to airing my choice of scheme, FG-1D Corsair G-FGID (representing British Fleet Air Arm machine, KD345 of 1850 Squadron during September 1945, when they were embarked on HMS Vengeance of the British Pacific Fleet). I've seen the full size many time at Duxford, and being a Brit myself, it seemed like the logical choice ;) The great thing about representing an airshow circuit bird, I don't need to be concerned with weathering . Its been a while since I used yellow on a model too, I forgot just how many coats it needs to look presentable, close to 15 on the cowl, from an acrylic based spray can, a compressor would have been ideal, but is still on the wish list.

Please excuse the kiddies toys and mess in the photo, but for anyone with a young family I'm sure this is a familiar sight, parents and kids toys in every room at one point or another :D Oh and the mess, kids went to sleep and I chose to work on the bent wing bird, then tidy up for the night! Left the Rx at work too, so she'll be finally set up and on her legs in the morning.

A HUGE thank you to Callie at Callie graphics for the decals for KD345, they arrived just this afternoon and were, as always, a pure pleasure to work with and look great too IMO. One thing of note, in a previous post I sung the praises of our hinge tape (blendurm) for masking, it is amazing, but I forgot the one cardinal rule when applying it, you need to apply it you jeans/trousers before applying it to the model, to reduce the tackiness of it, otherwise, well, I think some of you can see the problem if you look closely enough. It has a temporary color fix on it now and will be made 100% once I get a color match.

We plan to shot an additional flight review tomorrow all being well with the weather, so keep an eye out for that coming a little later.

Stuart.

Something I just learned, Royal Navy Corsairs had the wing tips clipped by 8" to fit into the hanger deck of English carriers. You can see the slight difference in the tip. Guess the next mod will be a clipped wing like Flightline did for the Spitfire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	179482
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Bellke View Post

Something I just learned, Royal Navy Corsairs had the wing tips clipped by 8" to fit into the hanger deck of English carriers. You can see the slight difference in the tip. Guess the next mod will be a clipped wing like Flightline did for the Spitfire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	179482
                                I love these historical bits of trivia. I wonder if the clipped wings were required because someone didn't take into account the US used the Imperial System and most everyone else used Metric? :Thinking:LOL

Comment

• Yes indeed they did, but I've chosen to model the aircraft on the full size circuit, which doesn't have clipped wings, so don't have to get my xacto knife out ;)

Another interesting story on the British and the Corsair, the Royal Navy was the first navy to fly the Corsair off of carriers, well before the US, clipped wings and all. The reason for the clipped tip, we Brits had smaller hangers and smaller carriers all round than the US Navy, so we had to improve the roll rate of the Corsair in order to store them in the belly's of our carriers ;)

S.

Comment

• We did not use every Metric measure in school until the 50's (in the UK) so maybe the UK carriers of WW2 were built using feet and inches but were just to small to accommodate the Corsair anyway. The Brits did say that the roll rate was improved with that 8" tip reduction.

Comment

• Hey all, I joined a new rc club in my area , the runway is finely mowed grass , how does this plane hold up on grass runways for take off and landing?

Comment

• Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post

You are welcome, I figured you know this stuff but sometimes we just need to step outside the box once in a while. :) I calibrate all of my new ESC's in these planes (even if they work) just to make sure they are matched to my radio throttle range.

Hope you get your problem solved soon.
                                        Rich
                                        Yeah, we sometimes forget (or at least I do sometimes) the basics. That's RC 101 but I'm still in the ditch so I'm going over to my mentor and he'll help me work it out.

Comment

• Got a chance to fly my -1 with the Robart #136, 3.75" wheels today. There is a definite pitch change when you cycle the gear due to the increased weight of the wheels. This actually worked out well for me as after I trimmed it clean it became just slightly nose heavy when the gear was extended and full flaps which allowed a very slight up hold on elevator for landing.

Comment

Working...
                                          X