Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Aros, I don’t fly with scale police so just this level of detail will freak them out in spite of the inaccuracies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post

Fault? What a terrible problem to have. Usually people complain about the totally opposite. If you think you have too much power and lift you can always load it up with weight. If you want down thrust put a couple washers on the top motor mounts. Personally I think it's just right by just easing the power in slowly.
      As for climbing when you apply full throttle I think it would be strange if it didn't climb. After all you are trimming for speed. If you give it more power (increase speed) it should climb as it's trying to maintain the speed you trimmed it for. This means it has positive dynamic stability which is what you want. :Cool:
      Totally agree! My biggest complaint about some of my planes is that they won't get off the ground soon enough and the dang things bounce like crazy along the rough ground and beat themselves to death. And some planes are so bad at getting off the ground, that I nearly run out of runway.
      If the plane can't stay on the ground as long as you want, then I think it's that you don't know how to do it. On occasion when I want to keep it on the ground to make it look more "scale" (did I just say that?), I get the tail off the ground, regulate the throttle and elevator so it doesn't bolt for the sky. However, for the type of surfaces I fly off of, the longer I keep the plane on the ground, the more likely it'll become a lawn mower and do a cartwheel. My jets follow the same routine. Get the thing off the ground before the retracts get beat to death. Additionally, taking off from rough ground uses up too much fuel. The shorter the roll, the better.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Ole-Timer;n179704]Thanks LB for the generous assistance on the cockpit. Removed that lower section of foam and added several other tidbits.[QUOTE]

O-T, No thanks necessary, though you are welcome Sir. Your additions are Top-Notch and what lower foam did you need to remove? Is there a mod for the OEM Cockpit we can add. Cockpit floor, for example, other Corsair lookin' stuff to print? Let me know, seriously. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I did say "fault" with tongue in cheek. However I do have a few other warbirds that I can get "on the mains" but this one literally leaps forward on throttle application and is off before I know it ! More practice needed, as you say. There is also quite a lot of torque applied before the rudder bites on this one. My 60" Bearcat is much better behaved.

Comment

• Question for those of you who have got some flights on your Corsairs, are you using any flaps on take off ?? And how much flaps for no wind landings ??

Comment

• No flaps are needed on take off. The roll is literally 15 feet or less without flaps...As for landing I always go full because I love the profile of a Corsair on approach with full flaps, gear doors, the works. She slows down fantastic with full flaps. :Cool:
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                No flaps are needed on take off. The roll is literally 15 feet or less without flaps...As for landing I always go full because I love the profile of a Corsair on approach with full flaps, gear doors, the works. She slows down fantastic with full flaps.:Cool:
                Aros, I think I see out there on the horizon...could it be...I'm not sure...it must be...no way...yeppers...it's 3DP functional cowl flaps. LOL Best, LB
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Don't tease me like that Elbee!!! :Silly:
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• [QUOTE=Elbee;n179744][QUOTE=Ole-Timer;n179704]Thanks LB for the generous assistance on the cockpit. Removed that lower section of foam and added several other tidbits.

O-T, No thanks necessary, though you are welcome Sir. Your additions are Top-Notch and what lower foam did you need to remove? Is there a mod for the OEM Cockpit we can add. Cockpit floor, for example, other Corsair lookin' stuff to print? Let me know, seriously. Best, LB
                    Hey LB,
                    I removed the original foam layer the factory seat sits on. This opens the cockpit up quite a bit and perhaps would allow a full pilot figure to fit in as the seat can be lowered an additional half inch or so.
                    I used a piece of .032 aluminum as a stand-off when I cut that out so the 3D parts would drop in like a glove. I used 7/32 foam board to substitute as switch panels. A variety of pins as switches and levers.
                    For a cockpit floor I cut a 5 x 5 inch piece of poster paper, painted to match, inserted that through the battery opening, and taped in place.
                    The reflector gunsite was your small Birdcage with lenses cut from old flashlight clear lens with a light brite green peg as a level. I also added canopy rails made from old windshield wiper stainless steel leaf springs.
                    Just all smoke n mirrors that will suffice for a stand off scale that most guys will just look through the canopy and be reasonably fooled. A big ole’ collection of recycled junk!

LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	F06DBC36-4B35-4ABF-A9B0-02ED9686EFFE.jpeg
Views:	880
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	179801Click image for larger version

Name:	75497936-3209-403E-86B6-7888C4864BE9.jpeg
Views:	891
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	179800Click image for larger version

Name:	F3C72F1F-64E3-4C76-9029-5BC8E7D9EBBA.jpeg
Views:	896
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	179804Click image for larger version

Name:	2CD2F9E9-60AF-4CD7-8B33-6977577D63EB.jpeg
Views:	931
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	179799Click image for larger version

Name:	F7ED534B-EBAC-4D80-AE6F-E20112A5796C.jpeg
Views:	912
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	179802Click image for larger version

Name:	B876471B-79B5-49C4-A92C-5DB2BBF50A2C.jpeg
Views:	881
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	179803Click image for larger version

Name:	FB582A96-7F15-49A4-A572-86C00E1D06F9.jpeg
Views:	871
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	179805

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                      Don't tease me like that Elbee!!! :Silly:
                      Ha! Todd says that's crazy sauce!LOLBut I would love it!:Cool:

Comment

• Always loved Corsairs, just something about them but I've held off getting one until now. All of them seemed to be lacking until this one. Just picking up the wing out of the box I was impressed with the shape and details. I knew I did the right thing waiting. It make me remember the first time I saw one flying.

I was on a Trailways bus going through the cotton fields of south Arkansas on the way to Little Rock to join the Marines. Sitting there looking at row after row of cotton, it wan't usual to see a crop duster at that time of the year. I saw a plane at the far end of the field pulling up and reversing like a crop duster does but I remember thinking "that's a big ass plane" and now I'm looking trying to figure out what kind it is. I'm watching it as it comes down the cotton rows towards the bus and I'm starting to see the shape of the wing and I'm saying to myself, no way, it can't be that. But as it got closer and closer, I realize I'm looking at a Corsair nose on as he's shooting down the cotton rows towards the bus at crop duster height. I'm sitting there with my mouth open not believing what I'm seeing. He pulls up to clear the telephone poles and the bus and I jump to the other side of the bus to continue watching him. He goes to the end of the row, reverses and makes another run at the bus. I'm bouncing back and forth between each side of the bus as he makes 4 passes, wishing somehow I could get the driver to stop. After the 4th pass, he pulled up, turned south and headed off. I've been to a few air shows, but that one was the best I've ever seen and won't forge

Comment

• My Corsair's "rollout" was this afternoon. I've spent several weeks doing my own new graphics, 3D cockpit, A.O.I. pilot (with added arms, hands, legs), fade oversprays (especially to simulate fabric covered areas), 3.5" Robart wheels and FMS Tigercat R-2800 engine cylinders combined with the kit center portion Many of the early birdcage corsairs had white bars added to the original "barless" stars, even in all four wing positions. #570 appears to have been one of them. Also used powered artist pastels to simulate dirt on the walkways, wing roots, grime around the filler cap (which is my hatch pull) and gun belt bays, all matte clear sprayed to fix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
                            Thanks LB for the generous assistance on the cockpit.

Removed that lower section of foam and added several other tidbits.

The cockpit kit is awesome!

Click image for larger version

Name:	222BAEA0-46F7-4B6D-8266-9B5D65E15100.jpeg
Views:	1309
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	179705Click image for larger version

Name:	10914047-F73E-4754-84B6-E228A6768264.jpeg
Views:	1417
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	179706Click image for larger version

Name:	BA9F152E-7EB4-4256-BE24-ED8C76AC4802.jpeg
Views:	1362
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	179708Click image for larger version

Name:	3807A89A-DDBE-4B0B-9392-05732A0514C2.jpeg
Views:	1387
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	179707
                            Great work OT. Sets the standard!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post
                              My Corsair's "rollout" was this afternoon. I've spent several weeks doing my own new graphics, 3D cockpit, A.O.I. pilot (with added arms, hands, legs), fade oversprays (especially to simulate fabric covered areas), 3.5" Robart wheels and FMS Tigercat R-2800 engine cylinders combined with the kit center portion Many of the early birdcage corsairs had white bars added to the original "barless" stars, even in all four wing positions. #570 appears to have been one of them. Also used powered artist pastels to simulate dirt on the walkways, wing roots, grime around the filler cap (which is my hatch pull) and gun belt bays, all matte clear sprayed to fix.
                              Awesome work! Thanks for sharing Smoothie!

Comment

• Well done Smoothie! Fantastic!
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• OT Nice work!

Comment

• Smoothie, just a great job!

Comment

• Very nice Smoothie, it’s always about the subtle details and you nailed it.

Perfect! :Cool:

Comment

• Thanks guys! I'll keep you posted on the maiden flight, hopefully the end of this week

Hey, in the RC Groups thread, there's suddenly a lot of hand-wringing over using the Robarts Diamond Tread Scale wheels and their effect on CG. They're not totally wrong (I haven't checked my CG yet). But I did some checking and (speaking in rough numbers), the 3.5" dia. Robarts wheel set weights about 3 oz/85 gm more than the stock wheel set -- 85 gms of extra weight swinging several inches aft of the CG when retracted.

So there's a good chance I'll be adding the kit-furnished extra weight pellets (41 gm) to the cowl and maybe more -- OR -- I compared the weights of my HRB 5000 and 6000 lipos. The 6000 weighs about 85 gm more than the 6000. Of course, none of this takes into account the distance fore and aft of the CG, but it's a starting point.

The Robarts look a lot better IMO, and the tires are much sturdier. I suspect the kit tires will wear out over time given the size of this model (if flying from runway). We shall see!

In case any of you are wondering about my choice of dark gray for the wheel hubs and struts: birdcage gear was never white (like the kit tailwheel -- F4U-1D's did have white). The gear was most likely light gray from the factory on birdcage F4U-1's. But I did a lot of research and many if not most of the photos of land-based Corsairs show the gear painted (or re-painted) a darker color than the lower-surface gray. It's possible they used blue, but I opted for darker gray (as have some serious plastic modelers doing similar schemes).

Hey, have any of you already flown yours with the 3.5" Robarts, and what did you find CG-wise?
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by MrSmoothie; Feb 18, 2019, 12:21 PM. Reason: adding question at bottom

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post
                                          HELP!!! Still snow bound here in Seattle and as far as I can see....:Angry: we're a couple weeks away from a maiden which is good because I still have some nits to work out. I still need to set / reset my servos and throws but the big issue is with my ESC / Motor so I need some HELP!!. When I plug in the battery everything pulses normally and retracts work normally but I don't get the typical connection tones. My radio says I'm bound properly and the receiver flashes OK to accept bind BUT I get this tone every couple seconds and the motor pulses even with throttle at -0-. I have the motor disabled as a safety when the assigned switch is off then when I turn switch to on (enable) and try to run it up a little, the motor does nothing but I still get that beep every couple seconds. I've checked and rechecked the program settings in my radio for this bird and all looks good but I'm clueless Any ideas?:Thinking:
                                          Sounds like the esc signal wire is open. I have seen esc's behave that way when a main battery is connected but the esc's 'servo' wire is disconnected.

Comment

Working...
                                          X