Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I paint mine with latex paint and foam brushes.
    I thin it with floetrol so the brush marks lay down, it doesn't dry too quickly. the trick is to flow it on fairly heavy and not try to brush it out. I also paint when there's high humidity to slow drying.

Comment

• I foam brush on the latex (HD) about 3-4 coats and on the final coat usually apply a bit of water on the paint with a clean foam brush just as the latex starts to tack smoothing the paint but never so much as to 'push' it. The results are amazing, I think. I know it's not my Corsair, but I just painted the nose a few days ago before putting on the Shark Eyes. Forgive me. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG
Views:	710
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	180788
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by redbarn View Post
        This is probably the coldest February I've seen here. More snow in the forecast and not much above freezing if you're lucky during the afternoons. Gotta see my Corsair just sitting there all ready to go but this pilot has issues with icing conditions on his fingers.We should be planting crops already. It is getting old!
        I left Oregon for a 10 day Vacation in February...
        Would you believe there is nearly 10 inches of snow less than 20 miles from my house in Sun City Az...
        where are those global warming idiots now...

Comment

• Good tip, LB
          another good thing about painting with latex, if you screw something up it's easy to fix.

Comment

• Older, but still no wiser. LOL If you're an RC pilot, a 1:1 pilot, or both, you know it's just "The Weather". Best, LB
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Cws View Post

Name:	20190222_102851.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	180704 this is a thinner that's carried by Home Depot that I use when I'm painting my planes, it slows the drying enough so the brush marks lay down.
              How much do you cut it with when adding to the paint?

My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post
                Today I maidened two Corsairs! I flew Dad's first (I told him I could use the practice before trying mine). The fog took over two hours to lift this morning, so only one flight for each as the wind picked up and changed direction.

I don't want to draw too many conclusions from just two flights -- but my impression is that the recommended CG is too far forward. We both found it necessary to add two weights (40gm) to achieve manual CG, but I'm thinking they can both weights can come out, as both planes required noticeable up trim.

Mine has the 3.5" Robart wheels, which are 3 oz. heavier. I thought the two models would balance quite differently as a result, but inexplicably, they did not -- we both used HRB 5000s.

I had more flap travel on mine -- I had repositioned the servo arms to allow for max travel, and notched the wing edge foam where the flap control horns made contact. I made about as perfect a landing right on the center line as I am capable of, and decided to stop while I was ahead (for today).

I was super-pleased with how my F4U-1 flew -- very nice, and plenty of umph for vertical. Surprisingly there's not a whole lot of difference in level flight speed between half and full throttle -- or at least it seemed that way. I think the way to go is modest throttle until pulling vertical.

I'm hoping to fly again tomorrow morning -- and more than one flight!
                Great pic of you and your Dad!!! Very cool!! :Cool::Cool::Cool: And congrats on the maidens!!! :)

Comment

Today I maidened two Corsairs! I flew Dad's first (I told him I could use the practice before trying mine). The fog took over two hours to lift this morning, so only one flight for each as the wind picked up and changed direction...
                  Very cool! Love the photos! Something realistic looking about the Corsair in the fog...Love it. Thanks for sharing and congrats!
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

How much do you cut it with when adding to the paint?
                    I don't have any kind of measurement I just eyeball it.
                    when you first open that jar it's going to be too thick just add a little bit of that thinner to it and as you work with it you'll be able to tell if the quantity is Right.
                    if you get it to thin you'll know, it won't cover very well. Add it in small quantitys and it will evaporate out as you're using it and as you add more you'll figure it out.

Comment

Today I maidened two Corsairs! I flew Dad's first (I told him I could use the practice before trying mine). I'm hoping to fly again tomorrow morning -- and more than one flight!
                      MS, So very cool. Great pics with your Father. Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

I left Oregon for a 10 day Vacation in February...
                        Would you believe there is nearly 10 inches of snow less than 20 miles from my house in Sun City Az...
                        where are those global warming idiots now...
                        LOLLOL Our good friends are in Oro Valley / Tucson (where we'll be moving soon) called this morning and said they have snow... first time since 2007! Grapefruit is on special! LOLLOL

Comment

• Did a basic coat of FS34092 Dull Dark Green with some highlights of Bronze Green. The parts look great, but the flash on the camera washed them out... Anyway, the instrument panel is starting to take shape with some weathering of enamel washes and then some dry brushing. It looks so much better on the bench.
                          The camera flash brings out all the tiny metallic "spots" from the dry brushing too... And the edge is out of focus,,, Oh well. It will be cool when done!!!

Name:	DSC_4389.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	180825Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4384.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	180826Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4386.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	180827Click image for larger version

Name:	IP1.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	180828

Comment

• HDWY, just turn off the flash...:Silly: Looks like metal to me. Best, LB
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Cws View Post
                              I don't have any kind of measurement I just eyeball it. when you first open that jar it's going to be too thick just add a little bit of that thinner to it and as you work with it you'll be able to tell if the quantity is Right.if you get it to thin you'll know, it won't cover very well. Add it in small quantitys and it will evaporate out as you're using it and as you add more you'll figure it out.
                              Copy that...I will give it a try...Thanks!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• In a hurry to go drink Bloody Mary’s!

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post
                                  When I did my A-10 I used HD paint and Createx High Performance Reducer (per recommendations from others on the Hobby Squawk thread). It was not a pleasant experience! I was using a siphon fed, Paasche airbrush with a .5mm tip. It clogged constantly! Perhaps I could have thinned more, or gotten a larger tip, or both, but personally I decided I didn't want to repeat that experience. Later I went back and re-painted using Tamiya acrylics, and while I admit I didn't have to cover as much area, it sure was a lot more successful. I'm hoping to do the Corsair with Tamiya, but I know it won't be cheap! Rob
                                  If you have an Airbrush use Vallejo Air model paints, then seal it
                                  This was done with Vallejo and the top is completely covered. I think it was about $3.50 for the base coat

Comment

• The Warbirds Pilot will fit without cutting him in half, you will have to bend him further up than normal and remove the upper floor from the cockpit. He is on the large side and a bit poofy but I believe it beats that Rubber Chinese replica.

Notice how skinny and light the canopy frames were stock, then after the repaint to make them as they should be.
                                    Makes quite a difference to the overall look!

Click image for larger version  Name:	D69123B7-0AB3-47CB-A632-616F0AB65A38.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	180844Click image for larger version  Name:	BDB5C323-ED27-4CB5-BAA5-7A39B46EA8A3.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	94.3 KB ID:	180848Click image for larger version  Name:	EDF2C120-02DB-4C99-9BA2-2E129202D719.jpeg Views:	9 Size:	96.7 KB ID:	180845Click image for larger version  Name:	C3C04839-FD5C-4788-A8D6-218443FB3DEB.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	82.0 KB ID:	180846Click image for larger version  Name:	4E16E268-F27E-4486-B114-A7FCA37D3B75.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	180847Click image for larger version  Name:	D0035FA8-C480-4B12-864C-3C3C53BF2E49.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	180849

Name:	235F39BA-CE70-4E67-85DA-55F7A63B59FC.jpeg
Views:	1093
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	180856

Comment

• Wow, you guys are knocking it out of the ball park!!
                                      Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
                                        The Warbirds Pilot will fit without cutting him in half, you will have to bend him further up than normal and remove the upper floor from the cockpit. He is on the large side and a bit poofy but I believe it beats that Rubber Chinese replica. Notice how skinny and light the canopy frames were stock, then after the repaint to make them as they should be.
                                        Makes quite a difference to the overall look!]
                                        O-T, He's Clint Walker sized, that's all. Yes, I am old enough to have watched his westerns while wearing footed jammies. Best, LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Indeed so LB,

I like how it all came together and I thank you !

Now about those footed jammies and that certain Christmas when this photo was taken!

You wouldn’t still happen to have these, perhaps...? LOL

Name:	4DB3D56A-D372-4B83-8C65-48F73349E106.jpeg
Views:	733
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	180869

Comment

Working...
                                          X