X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Hey Brandon, all of that sounds really cool! I am particularly interested in the folding wing mechanism. As I'm sure you know, Blitzworks did one for their Corsair of similar size but it seemed pretty sketchy, as all their stuff usually is.:Straight-Face:
    Yeah Brad I am pretty sure LX uses bubble gum and scotch tape as their main materials. At least that is what it looked like to me when I built mine. Ah, the scary years before FlightLine and Freewing. :P

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Hey Brandon, all of that sounds really cool! I am particularly interested in the folding wing mechanism. As I'm sure you know, Blitzworks did one for their Corsair of similar size but it seemed pretty sketchy, as all their stuff usually is.:Straight-Face:
      Yeah I understand, but I have used their stuff in two other airplanes I modified to fold the wings with good success. Though I did enhance the operation and wing locking with additional components.

both my flightlineRC and FMS tigercats have folding wings as many know ;) and both have been flown with them with good success ;)though I don't yank and bank them arround like a many do....I prefer to fly them more scale like and enjoy their presence in the air :)
      Brandon Moon

Comment

• bonjour à tous ,j essaye de mettre une petite vidéo du mien presque fini... il me reste les bombes a installer

Comment

• Originally posted by sfmadmax View Post

Sounds like you have a'lot of work lined up Brandon, looking forward to seeing what you come up with, I for one am also interested in a working bomb release mechanism, the bottom of the plane has a plastic window already gives you a great place to access the electronics and figure it out.
          I used the Eflight payload release (Amazon) and it works flawlessly. :Cool: Will no doubt add to the F4U1 Birdcage.

:corsair
          ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by theoldALFER View Post

I used the Eflight payload release (Amazon) and it works flawlessly. :Cool: Will no doubt add to the F4U1 Birdcage.

:corsair
            ;)
            OMG.. WOW!!! i didn't know they had such a thing, now i'm pissed i only got the 6 channel admiral. Would I be able to make something like this work on a 6 channel admiral?? maybe using a mix of some sort?

Comment

OMG.. WOW!!! i didn't know they had such a thing, now i'm pissed i only got the 6 channel admiral. Would I be able to make something like this work on a 6 channel admiral?? maybe using a mix of some sort?
              When all 6 channels are filled, it's not as simple as putting in a mix. You likely will have to "Y" that extra "servo" to another line and you can then flip a switch for release. I've done this for a parachute release on my Tundra where I've got a gyro on the gear switch. I "Y'd" the release to the same gear switch. When I release, the gyro momentarily switches OFF. In this case, I would "Y" the release to something like the middle position of the flap switch. This will start the flaps deployment AND release the payload. If your "take off" flaps is minimal, you won't even see the plane react much. Another option is to mix your release/pos 1 flap to your bind button for dropping stuff. You still have to "Y" the drop servo to something (flaps).
              Of course, if your TX is more than 6-ch, you can always just buy a higher channel RX and use the 6-ch for something else later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon Moon View Post

Yeah I understand, but I have used their stuff in two other airplanes I modified to fold the wings with good success. Though I did enhance the operation and wing locking with additional components.

both my flightlineRC and FMS tigercats have folding wings as many know ;) and both have been flown with them with good success ;)though I don't yank and bank them arround like a many do....I prefer to fly them more scale like and enjoy their presence in the air :)
                Yeah I agree that their basic idea and geometry is pretty good so with some fine tuning and reinforcing, it should work out as you say. Would love to see the finished product and how you accomplish it. I still fly a 2 meter LX P-40 but nothing with the folding wing setup.

Comment

• So, since it's my birthday and the weather was perfect, I decided to skip the office and take my Corsair out for some fun. First flight was beautiful and I let my flying buddy take the controls for a few minutes. Time to land, I made an absolutely perfect full-flaps landing -- perfect, that is, except for the fact that I "landed" three feet above the ground. The stall was a thing of beauty -- it just dropped evenly, pancaking into the ground. Both retracts folded back. To our amazement, the airframe is virtually undamaged -- just a few scuffs to touch up, but nothing broken or cracked. Both retracts are fractured and will be replaced. Two of three prop blades broken, and one of the four gear doors snapped in half.

Unfortunately the retracts (w/o struts) are out of stock, so I had to order complete units (about twice the cost).

The bad news: The motor was very loose, and I feared the plastic mount was broken. Upon taking it all apart, I found that the plastic mount was fine. The 4mm aluminum motor X-mount, however, was fractured badly at all four motor screw positions and bent out of shape! Those motor screws were a royal pain to remove, even with application of heat to loosen the thread lock.

The more bad news: The X-mount is out of stock at MRC! I took a chance and ordered the last-in-stock X-mount for the 1600mm Spitfire, but it has a different part number and must be different somehow.

By any chance does anybody have a spare FlightLine 1600mm F4U-1A/D Corsair Motor X Mount SKU: MO1505522 they are willing to part with? It may be that that Motion has not yet gotten any of these in stock, being a new part.

Comment

• Hey FL Corsair Pilots - I think this was mentioned / discussed before so I apologize for being redundant but I can't find the string. When I drop my gear it comes down normally but when I switch to raise it there's a really long delay 3-5 seconds then it comes up normally. Is this a "timing" delay that I accidently programed in my Radio? I can't seem to find where / why the delay is happening. Suggestions?:Thinking:

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      When all 6 channels are filled, it's not as simple as putting in a mix. You likely will have to "Y" that extra "servo" to another line and you can then flip a switch for release. I've done this for a parachute release on my Tundra where I've got a gyro on the gear switch. I "Y'd" the release to the same gear switch. When I release, the gyro momentarily switches OFF. In this case, I would "Y" the release to something like the middle position of the flap switch. This will start the flaps deployment AND release the payload. If your "take off" flaps is minimal, you won't even see the plane react much. Another option is to mix your release/pos 1 flap to your bind button for dropping stuff. You still have to "Y" the drop servo to something (flaps).
                      Of course, if your TX is more than 6-ch, you can always just buy a higher channel RX and use the 6-ch for something else later.
                      Hey xviper, thanks for your info, this helps alot... So, obviously as you mentioned, my receiver is already full. my Gyro is also on the gear switch, and I've configured my radio mix so that, if I press the "I" button on my radio, it activates the recovery momentarily and levels the plane off. Could I essentially add a Y connector to the gear pins and use the same mix to activate this bomb drop in addition to the recovery? Granted that sounds like I would always lose my bomb if I ever lost control... But i don't like to think that is my intention , (to lose the plane) :P

I don't see any problems in having the plane self level while the bomb is dropping.. actually makes me feel safer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post
                        Hey FL Corsair Pilots - I think this was mentioned / discussed before so I apologize for being redundant but I can't find the string. When I drop my gear it comes down normally but when I switch to raise it there's a really long delay 3-5 seconds then it comes up normally. Is this a "timing" delay that I accidently programed in my Radio? I can't seem to find where / why the delay is happening. Suggestions?:Thinking:
                        Hey Grover54,

No, not an issue on your radio. There is in fact a small delay, as you mentioned about 3 seconds before the gear goes up. I think the general consensus was that the electronic board on the plane that controls those actions has a time delay. probably for safety.

Comment

Hey FL Corsair Pilots - I think this was mentioned / discussed before so I apologize for being redundant but I can't find the string. When I drop my gear it comes down normally but when I switch to raise it there's a really long delay 3-5 seconds then it comes up normally. Is this a "timing" delay that I accidently programed in my Radio? I can't seem to find where / why the delay is happening. Suggestions?:Thinking:
                          its all built into the blue box.

Joe
                          Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

I will also chime in, the blue box has a 5 second delay. I have the L39 using the same BB and the delay is the same as the corsair. It seems faster coming down because the doors need to open before the gear drop... but I believe the delay is the same both ways
                            Rich

Comment

• Madmax, RJ53, PAL, OK - Thanks guys! As long as everyone else is experiencing it I assume it's SOP!:Cool:

Comment

• Happy Birthday MrSmoothie. Have great day sir.

Comment

• Freewing Multifunction Control Box (MCB-E) Overview - Motion RC Extra

Comment

Hey xviper, thanks for your info, this helps alot... So, obviously as you mentioned, my receiver is already full. my Gyro is also on the gear switch, and I've configured my radio mix so that, if I press the "I" button on my radio, it activates the recovery momentarily and levels the plane off. Could I essentially add a Y connector to the gear pins and use the same mix to activate this bomb drop in addition to the recovery? Granted that sounds like I would always lose my bomb if I ever lost control... But i don't like to think that is my intention , (to lose the plane) :P

I don't see any problems in having the plane self level while the bomb is dropping.. actually makes me feel safer.
                                    Do you have the Admiral RX with gyro? If so, that's actually a 7 channel RX if you don't control the gyro. How do you control the retracts if you use the gear switch to do the gyro? I've done it in the past by using the "flight mode" switch (3-pos) to run the retracts, which are plugged into the 7th channel, leaving the 2-pos switch to direct the gyro. If this is the case, you can still "Y" the drop to the retracts or flaps.

Comment

• Happy Birthday MrSmoothie! :Cake:

Sorry to hear about the :corsair:(

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post
                                        So, since it's my birthday and the weather was perfect, I decided to skip the office and take my Corsair out for some fun. First flight was beautiful and I let my flying buddy take the controls for a few minutes. Time to land, I made an absolutely perfect full-flaps landing -- perfect, that is, except for the fact that I "landed" three feet above the ground. The stall was a thing of beauty -- it just dropped evenly, pancaking into the ground. Both retracts folded back. To our amazement, the airframe is virtually undamaged -- just a few scuffs to touch up, but nothing broken or cracked. Both retracts are fractured and will be replaced. Two of three prop blades broken, and one of the four gear doors snapped in half.

Unfortunately the retracts (w/o struts) are out of stock, so I had to order complete units (about twice the cost).

The bad news: The motor was very loose, and I feared the plastic mount was broken. Upon taking it all apart, I found that the plastic mount was fine. The 4mm aluminum motor X-mount, however, was fractured badly at all four motor screw positions and bent out of shape! Those motor screws were a royal pain to remove, even with application of heat to loosen the thread lock.

The more bad news: The X-mount is out of stock at MRC! I took a chance and ordered the last-in-stock X-mount for the 1600mm Spitfire, but it has a different part number and must be different somehow.

By any chance does anybody have a spare FlightLine 1600mm F4U-1A/D Corsair Motor X Mount SKU: MO1505522 they are willing to part with? It may be that that Motion has not yet gotten any of these in stock, being a new part.
                                        Man, I’m sorry to hear that. I’d recommend flattening out the old motor mount and use it as a pattern. This is SOP for full size aircraft repair.
                                        The stock motor mounts are typically .120 thousands, 2024 “O” aluminum, the softest variety out there as it’s not heat treated.
                                        It’s also easy to work and will deform and fail as your’s did without breaking the airframe.
                                        I’d recommend trying to get some sheet “O” aluminum and just fab your own if the Spitfire mount will not fit or can’t be modified.
                                        2024-T3 or T6 is hardened and is what aircraft skin and parts is fabricated from. Should you use that, the plastic part molded into the fuselage will fail instead as the mount will not give under load.
                                        Or...
                                        Fabricate one from model aircraft grade plywood. That will indeed work to.
                                        Or...
                                        Tell your Dad an AD note was issued on his motor mount and will take a month of NDI work to verify it’s integrity, with extensive testing in your airframe. ;)

Oh, and Happy Birthday ! :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                          Do you have the Admiral RX with gyro? If so, that's actually a 7 channel RX if you don't control the gyro. How do you control the retracts if you use the gear switch to do the gyro? I've done it in the past by using the "flight mode" switch (3-pos) to run the retracts, which are plugged into the 7th channel, leaving the 2-pos switch to direct the gyro. If this is the case, you can still "Y" the drop to the retracts or flaps.
                                          Yes I have the Admiral RX with Gyro. I think I may have explained it poorly. My Admiral is in Comb A, Default... The Gyro is always on I think and I have a panic button ("Recovery") ... The Recovery switch is my bind button, "Button I" Just like in the quickstart video, I set my Mix, to use the Gear Channel + I Button, which activates my Recovery. I don't think doing this affects my gears at all, the recovery feature i simply programmed to the gear channel. So I was wondering if I put a Y connector on the gear channel and simply pressed the button, if it would actuate the servo. I don't know if that would work, just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                                          X