Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official FlightLine F4U-1A Corsair 1600mm (63") Wingspan

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brandon Moon View Post
    Here is a little of what I've done so far
    Hey Brandon, good to have you back. Which pilot is that anyway? I don't recognize it. Love the radial engine work so far.

Comment

• Love the mods as usual Brandon! Is that a Warbirds Pilot? The radial looks fantastic.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Hey Tim, already got some great advice from Ole timer on "softening" the edges between colors but still looking for new tidbits. How did you "soften" your edges?
        I am also interested in this, looks very good!

Comment

• RCAV8R, that is an excellent job of weathering. Great planing and application of the paint.

Ken

Comment

• Thanks Ken! I painted a couple of models before but never really did much until now. Especially with an airbrush. I really enjoy it, and this Corsair project is going to be fun! Watching what you all have done inspires me too! Rob

Comment

Hey BM, I'm tellin' ya, that is just superb work. Bravo Zulu, sir. Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Beautiful work Brandon...How did you create those incredible open cowl flaps??? ! Is that nose art courtesy of Callie? Rob

Comment

• Any of you guys going to fly this model or are you going to paint till the cows come home ? Heck they will self weather if you fly them ! Seriously, some very nice work here, some day I will have to get my airbrush out and try to make my models less toy like.

Comment

• Originally posted by sethscorsair View Post
                    https://youtu.be/5nPnlhZ8PTI

Always do your pre flight checks ailerons were reversed on this poor bird.
                    I was amazed this happened to these great guys. They're way too experienced BUT I applaud CM & PR for posting it to clearly show regardless of experience you can always make mistakes and overlook something. I'm more surprised and a bit appalled from some of the comments and cat calls that were posted on this video. In the short time I've been in this hobby I found out very quickly there are a lot of folks out there more interested throwing sh*~t than making a contribution. I guess that's their way of trying to get even for being picked last on the playground? - Grover54

Comment

Awesome detail Mr. Moon! I really like what you did on the engine.:Cool:

Comment

• I have logged over 100maidens.....this one was not one of my best landings...but for a maiden in tricky winds I'll take it:

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post

I was amazed this happened to these great guys. They're way too experienced BUT I applaud CM & PR for posting it to clearly show regardless of experience you can always make mistakes and overlook something. I'm more surprised and a bit appalled from some of the comments and cat calls that were posted on this video. In the short time I've been in this hobby I found out very quickly there are a lot of folks out there more interested throwing sh*~t than making a contribution. I guess that's their way of trying to get even for being picked last on the playground? - Grover54
                          Agreed. No matter where you go, there's always one or two that have to go negative to make themselves feel better. As my dad used to say, "the empty can makes the most noise".;)

Comment

Hey Brandon, are those flaps operable? Either way they look very realistic and scale. Noticed you rounded the fuse just aft of the flaps for a better look.

Comment

• Originally posted by TwistedGrin View Post
                              I have logged over 100maidens.....this one was not one of my best landings...but for a maiden in tricky winds I'll take it:

TwistedGrin
                              Great Maiden there TG and the landing was fine in my books. Any landing that doesn't require a trash bag is A-OK. LOLLOL

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Agreed. No matter where you go, there's always one or two that have to go negative to make themselves feel better. As my dad used to say, "the empty can makes the most noise".;)
                                LOLLOL I've not heard the "Empty Can" analogy before and it's a GOOD ONE! I'll remember it.:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post
                                  Great Maiden there TG and the landing was fine in my books. Any landing that doesn't require a trash bag is A-OK. LOLLOL
                                  Agreed and ain't that the truth!

My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Awesome detail Mr. Moon! I really like what you did on the engine.
                                    Brandonmoon, I especially like your idea of putting the old cylinders in-between the new ones. This was a twin-row engine, after all. I spent an entire Saturday cutting the old cylinders out, but saving the front engine casing -- a bit more scale for the Corsair -- then cutting the front casing off of the the FMS, and gluing the Flightline casing onto the FMS cylinders. And while I *knew* there was a second row of cylinders back there, it never occurred to me to try to simulate that somehow. Well done!

I'm sure somebody has asked you by now, but I guess I missed it -- where is the full-body pilot from? I am growing weary of sculpting torsos, arms and legs for my A.O.I. pilots!

Comment

• I was amazed this happened to these great guys. They're way too experienced BUT I applaud CM & PR for posting it to clearly show regardless of experience you can always make mistakes and overlook something. I'm more surprised and a bit appalled from some of the comments and cat calls that were posted on this video. In the short time I've been in this hobby I found out very quickly there are a lot of folks out there more interested throwing sh*~t than making a contribution. I guess that's their way of trying to get even for being picked last on the playground? - Grover54
                                      I am with you on this, 100% The most idiotic comments are in response to Youtube videos. I posted the video to our club's Facebook page as a reminder to check "the obvious" and maybe it'll save even one plane. I never made this mistake myself -- but I failed to catch it when somebody else did, and that ends up being the very same thing. I was doing the maiden flight of a buddy's 1600mm Spitfire. He'd had trouble setting up the flaps and some other things so I spent a lot of time getting all these details right. Coincidentally, I'd just done all the preflight checks on ANOTHER friend's 1600mm Spit for his maiden, including control directions. Somehow in my head, I'd "already done" control direction checks on my buddy's -- and off I went. And the ailerons were reversed. I didn't even get as high off the ground as Pilot Ryan. That ended up being the best news -- as the only damage (other than to my dignity) was the tail section, which on the big Spitfire is a separate unit, which was easily replaced and the model lives on. Man, did I ever feel like an idiot!

When Dad and I went to maiden our two Corsairs last week and had to wait two hours for fog to lift, I said something like "let's check and double check everything and see if we can avoid making a stupid mistake". Sometimes I forget to do range checks -- this is partly because I can't remember a single one of my models ever failing to pass a range check in the three years I've been back in the hobby. Well, I was almost ready to attempt my maiden (after checking and double checking everything), when I heard another guy at the field saying he wasn't ready to go with his flight as he had to make a range check. So I thought, what the hell, I'll check my Corsair. Guess what? It failed. The reason turned out to be that I had added a satellite antenna to my Lemon diversity Rx *after* I had bound it. You have to attach the satellite first, and then bind! If I hadn't made that check, I think I would have had a short flight -- but long enough to have gotten high enough that the crash would have left scant little to salvage.

I'm baring my soul for you guys who haven't flown your's yet in hopes that you will catch any problems before you attempt your maiden -- this is way too nice (and expensive) of a model to crash over something stupid.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!!!

Comment

• Gun ports on the Corsair have been bothering me. I was simply looking for any way possible to make them look more rounded and not just malformed holes in the leading edges. Since the actual guns were buried way back in the wing and fired through long blast tubes, something had to give. I stock all sorts of odds and ends with that sometimes taking a bit to remember where I stashed something.
                                        I decided the only thing I had on hand even remotely close to a gun port were brass grommets for tarps. They indeed fit the slightly oversized stock holes very well.
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	77D9FD37-9098-4AB9-9329-F9CA23CD564D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	86.4 KB ID:	178166

Click image for larger version  Name:	E3140155-CAE7-4ED2-9659-04970ABBBE4B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	178164
                                        ‘Or just install them as is...

Click image for larger version  Name:	048BC485-FD7B-4D81-94EF-2D45ACEC90FC.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	178163Click image for larger version  Name:	571EF01E-40F4-47D0-A6B5-332E3E623F0B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	74.9 KB ID:	178169

Ole-Timer, not only a clever idea, but really nice execution -- my question -- these grommets appear to be sized by the hole, not the overall outside diameter. Did you use 3/8" grommets (which would be around 1/2" O.D.)? I may give this a try!

Comment

• Originally posted by TwistedGrin View Post
                                          I have logged over 100maidens.....this one was not one of my best landings...but for a maiden in tricky winds I'll take it:

TwistedGrin
                                          Nice Flying,

My airfield is not as busy as yours, that seems like absolute madness, people flying different patterns on the strip :P

Comment

Working...
                                          X