X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=thisguy65;n193876]

Not at All Ken, thank you for taking the time to do that!

This is what I found out or as told by the radio group.
    Originally Posted by Ken Smith
    Admiral is a rebrand name of Lemon by MotionRC, I saw that the bare tip is close to the carbon rod but not blocked, especially the tip. Maybe he had a structural failure and is thinking it’s the radio. We will never know.

Thanks
    Ken
    But it appears that a small part of the active end of that antenna lead is actualy touching the carbon which is a no no....touching carbon will detune the antenna
    I learned something today, I wish we would have asked them before.

Ken

Comment

• vduniec that is a thing of beauty my good sir! :Cool:
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• [QUOTE=Ken Smith;n193916]
        Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post

Not at All Ken, thank you for taking the time to do that!

This is what I found out or as told by the radio group.
        Originally Posted by Ken Smith
        Admiral is a rebrand name of Lemon by MotionRC, I saw that the bare tip is close to the carbon rod but not blocked, especially the tip. Maybe he had a structural failure and is thinking it’s the radio. We will never know.

Thanks
        Ken
        But it appears that a small part of the active end of that antenna lead is actualy touching the carbon which is a no no....touching carbon will detune the antenna
        I learned something today, I wish we would have asked them before.

Ken

thanks Ken, I found you post on RC groups.
        Planes
        -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
        -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• another two sets of flights on her yesterday, calm winds & great landings!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by sethscorsair View Post
            They sent me a right gear but the right gear is the one for the left wing. It was mis packaged i believe they are working on the mystery.
            Yah, in this last batch I got some spares before everything ran out again and they mislabeled the left and right gear. Maybe because they are manufactured on the other side of the world?:Silly:
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
              Upside down or right side up depends on where the vertical CG is on a given plane. If it's above the balance line, then the plane teeters too much and you have a hard time balancing it because it tends to fall in either direction if nudged. My rule of thumb is: Low wing plane - upside down balance. High wing plane - right side up balance. Mid-wing - which ever presents the most stable teeter totter.
              As for gear up or down. It doesn't matter which to me because whichever way you balance it, it will be more likely UNbalanced the other way and you have to compensate manually. Trimming won't work either because as soon as you lower or raise the gear (whichever way you balanced it), it will be out of trim the other way. I look at it ....... Which way do I want it to be UNbalanced most of the time? When flying around with gear up or during take off and landing, which is a shorter time period than flying around? When I'm taking off or landing, those are the times I'm most busy on the sticks, so manually adjusting and "working the sticks" is normal. It's when flying around that there is more of a need for me to know that the plane can fly well "hands off". Some guys, for some reason, fly around with the gear down most of the flight. I don't know why but for them, they should balance gear down. Of course, then there's those who trim like crazy when coming down for a landing after the gear is down, thinking that they can leave the trim like that for the next take off. But then, in many cases, you've got varying degrees of flaps to mess with and that plays with the trim. These same pilots will trim again when in flight when everything is sucked up. Most of my planes, I trim once and that's it. Perhaps a click or two due to a different battery but that's quite minor.
              You always make a lot of sense so keep giving us advice, I certainly need it.:Cool: When it comes to CG, I never know how to balance it. Each of my planes are different and very few end up at the "manufacturer's" recommendation. I fly my Spitfire, B-24's and F4's 5-10mm further back than the manual and love it there. My Extreme Flight planes are all tail heavy, but they're meant to fly that way and stay level at any orientation, including knife edge. I originally maidened my Corsair several months ago at 110mm with the gear down (4 weights in the cowl and the 5000mah battery)! This resulted in fairly easy landings but fly around (looked like it was on a roller coaster) and take-offs (jumped off the runway and rolled severely left from torque and being close to stall speed) was a real battle. Each time out I've added more nose weight moving the CG closer to the manual recommendations. I am now at 100mm with the gear up and waiting for another decent day to try that out. If you can believe it, to get that I have all 6 weights in the cowl, 5 additional ounces in the front battery area AND the 6S 6000mah battery all the way forward. The five coats of urethane, the Robart wheels, the huge warbirds pilot with servo and the sound system have turned this into a "fat cow", almost as bad as the FMS corsair. But she looks great and sounds great, which is all that really matters anyway! I just have to keep the power up on landing or she drops like a rock and it's replace another retract.:Angry:

Once my planes are trimmed (and I'm happy with the balance-which takes a lot of tinkering with), I rarely have to retrim. I also set my transmitter trim utilities so I can independently trim the elevator and aileron for each flap setting in-flight, so the maiden is a little busy adjusting trim for each flap setting :Sweating: but once done, she flies level at all flap settings. :Whew:
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thanks, Hugh. Some may view my practices as idiosyncratic and some have even gotten very ticked off with them. I admit that my "rules of thumb" may work for me but not for others. Beginners need solid "rules" because they must have a basis to get going. They may benefit the least from my advice simply because of the possibly vagueness that lies therein.
                Interesting that you also compare this Corsair to the FMS Corsair. Like you, I've got both, having flown the FMS for years. After the last couple of maiden flights of the FW, I've put in the extra supplied weights as I found the plane to be too light in the nose and light overall compared to the FMS "tank". Nevertheless, I've found the FMS Corsair to be much more solid and enjoyable to fly. When a plane weighs as much as the FMS one does, going from one battery to another one that weighs much different, doesn't seem to be such a big deal - easily trimmed out in the first 1/2 circuit.
                Another interesting thing you mentioned was that of your "extreme" flight planes. I have the 3D Mig 29 EDF jet. I've have moved that battery around the battery tray by as much as 100mm, depending on what I'm trying to do with it and no matter where the battery sits, it flies just fine. When positioned for hovering, it flies fine as a "normal" plane. When positioned for normal flight, it still hovers fine. Granted, having vector nozzles and a gyro helps immensely.
                For me, when I balance with precision (to the mm), I still crash from time to time but with more precision. :Silly:

Comment

• Instead of settling for the plane trimmed in one condition or another, why not create a mix for gear down and gear up with the appropriate trim adjustments? Much like a trim mix for flap positions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

! I just have to keep the power up on landing or she drops like a rock and it's replace another retract.:Angry:
                    You mean, wait 2 months for retracts to come back in stock :P wow... i was going to order another set, just for backup and they are already out of stock! :Scared:

Comment

• I purchased mine and I was home few weeks ago and built it. Hopefully going home for couple Sunday Memorial weekend and the following weekend. I have a question, that might have been covered in this thread already, but at 140 pages long, well I got to to work in the morning lol. Anyway, I had a bit of a problem with my flap setup. I had to change around some radio settings to get enough travel to get proper deflection and even operation ( I have not put my throw meter on it yet, just by eyeball for now). I even removed the servo arm and changed it orientation on the post. Anyone else have that issue or did it just connect and away you went?

Comment

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post
                        Instead of settling for the plane trimmed in one condition or another, why not create a mix for gear down and gear up with the appropriate trim adjustments? Much like a trim mix for flap positions.
                        As I mentioned earlier, instead of doing a mix with the flaps and elevator, with a Spektrum transmitter, you can use the "Trim Setup" menu (in the 2nd group of menus) and set the Elevator (on some planes I also do the Aileron, but never the rudder) to Trim Type "F Mode" instead of "Common". Then I use the Flap Switch as my Flight Mode switch as well, allowing the trim switches to be used independently in each flap setting during flight. In that way, I don't have to guess how much additional trim is needed on the Flap System menu or have to program in an elevator flap mix on the ground and hope that it is correct. Trimming is accomplished in flight and you can get it right in the first flight. If for some reason, it needs to be adjusted on subsequent flights for different batteries or placement of the battery, trimming is easily done in flight.

I don't believe you should need a mix for gear up or down, since the gear is always down with take-off and landing flaps, and gear up with no flaps. :Thinking:
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by benjack71 View Post
                          I purchased mine and I was home few weeks ago and built it. Hopefully going home for couple Sunday Memorial weekend and the following weekend. I have a question, that might have been covered in this thread already, but at 140 pages long, well I got to to work in the morning lol. Anyway, I had a bit of a problem with my flap setup. I had to change around some radio settings to get enough travel to get proper deflection and even operation ( I have not put my throw meter on it yet, just by eyeball for now). I even removed the servo arm and changed it orientation on the post. Anyone else have that issue or did it just connect and away you went?
                          Can you tell us how you set up the flaps? Did you do one of the following?

Did you start with the aircraft (wing) type in the primary menu? In doing so, you allow the flap menu to be opened up in the secondary menu. This now allows you to start to "zero" the flap servos (without removing the servo arms) starting with the servo sub-trim. This helps to get the servo to the starting point or near the starting point (level with the rest of the wing), which should be "0" position on the flap switch. If this doesn't get the flaps even with the wings, you can now change the % flaps in the flap menu for position "0". Next, you flip the switch to position "1" and dial in the % to whatever it needs to be to get your take off flaps. To finish, you switch to position "2" and change the % till you get the desired landing flaps. These may not necessarily correspond to "0%, 50% or 100%". This method should NOT have made it necessary to remove the servo arm and re-position it.

If you didn't open up the flap menu by selecting the proper aircraft type (which should be 1 AIL, 1 FLAP), then channel 6 (Spektrum - AUX1 or flaps) defaults to the flap switch (switch D) and percentages of "0, 50 and 100%" and gives no ability to alter the %'s or to dial in elevator compensation or deployment time. It doesn't allow you to change the percentages to "zero" the flaps, but to only mess with the servo arm repositioning and servo sub-trim. The flap servos, like all the other control surface servos, are "centered" from the factory, which corresponds to a middle position but not necessarily "neutral" or any specific percentage deployment. Requiring you to remove the arm so you can "zero" the flaps may result in insufficient travel to get the flaps from "level" to full or near full deployment (for landing flaps).

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

As I mentioned earlier, instead of doing a mix with the flaps and elevator, with a Spektrum transmitter, you can use the "Trim Setup" menu (in the 2nd group of menus) and set the Elevator (on some planes I also do the Aileron, but never the rudder) to Trim Type "F Mode" instead of "Common". Then I use the Flap Switch as my Flight Mode switch as well, allowing the trim switches to be used independently in each flap setting during flight. In that way, I don't have to guess how much additional trim is needed on the Flap System menu or have to program in an elevator flap mix on the ground and hope that it is correct. Trimming is accomplished in flight and you can get it right in the first flight. If for some reason, it needs to be adjusted on subsequent flights for different batteries or placement of the battery, trimming is easily done in flight.

I don't believe you should need a mix for gear up or down, since the gear is always down with take-off and landing flaps, and gear up with no flaps. :Thinking:
                            I do the trim method for the first flight. I then use those trim settings to do my program mixes to incorporate the change. That way when my flaps deploy slowly l, so do my mixes (trim). I also set up my left slider to trim up or down on the mix in case it needs adjustment. The left slider is equivalent to +/- 7 clicks of trim. I also have the ability to adjust trim via the traditional method. All of my trims are tied to a condition, take off, landing, low rates, gear down with no flaps, etc...

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	00937BF1-0A59-462F-B201-3EF3D02DAA27.jpeg
Views:	1363
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	194978Click image for larger version

Name:	A37FA090-0ED7-4A9E-A022-49845A9865A0.jpeg
Views:	857
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	194963Click image for larger version

Name:	7084021B-1D30-4341-986E-4771953C2471.jpeg
Views:	848
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	194964Click image for larger version

Name:	D427B75A-7B62-4140-9902-A587D9C69A18.jpeg
Views:	821
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	194965Click image for larger version

Name:	35572E7E-DAFD-48FC-9187-0C0A7860C48E.jpeg
Views:	815
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	194966Click image for larger version

Name:	55D05E5E-BEB4-4A44-BDA4-A305C74A2DDB.jpeg
Views:	840
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	194967Click image for larger version

Name:	634A8FB7-0273-4922-A27F-C09D501BF754.jpeg
Views:	766
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	194968Click image for larger version

Name:	53CDFDFF-0810-4D30-A952-61B9BF55408C.jpeg
Views:	785
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	194969Click image for larger version

Name:	C0BCC1AF-FDB5-48E0-9FAE-1B27E4DA2769.jpeg
Views:	760
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	194970Click image for larger version

Name:	4969F10E-A74D-415D-A76D-8017D71F41F3.jpeg
Views:	826
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	194971Click image for larger version

Name:	F98DF640-6FFC-41C9-9C63-8BE899197D18.jpeg
Views:	745
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	194972Click image for larger version

Name:	E9E48419-DD0E-412A-A260-05F7C086C5EB.jpeg
Views:	787
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	194973Click image for larger version

Name:	C6F2C307-BBD9-46A6-A3A9-FB635D396382.jpeg
Views:	736
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	194974Click image for larger version

Name:	F3778EAB-AC18-4856-8B33-7EA553B9A792.jpeg
Views:	733
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	194975Click image for larger version

Name:	FB2AE724-3B63-49EB-A4F6-4B54AE9782B4.jpeg
Views:	773
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	194976Click image for larger version

Name:	1F632931-95CE-4EF0-A67D-686ACA062F72.jpeg
Views:	755
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	194977Click image for larger version

Name:	34171C91-56F0-4EA0-83CD-94F52BC9CFA8.jpeg
Views:	802
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	194980Click image for larger version

Name:	34171C91-56F0-4EA0-83CD-94F52BC9CFA8.jpeg
Views:	783
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	194979 I have finished the weathering and looking forward to the maiden. I have seen great examples of weathering on this thread and I would like to thank everyone who had shared their ideas. Thanks for the inspiration.
                              Here is my interpretation...
                              Attached Files
                              Tolga
                              Instagram: @_t01ga_
                              YouTube: t01ga

Comment

• Looks outstanding!!

The Birdcage is such a fantastic canvas for weathering. Love the flash of zinc chromate and the understated weathering. It's easy for folks to really overdue the panel lines when weathering so I always applaud when I see restraint as it looks much more realistic so Bravo Zulu! Now get her out there and take her to the skies where she belongs, you won't be disappointed!

:Cool:
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                  Looks outstanding!!

The Birdcage is such a fantastic canvas for weathering. Love the flash of zinc chromate and the understated weathering. It's easy for folks to really overdue the panel lines when weathering so I always applaud when I see restraint as it looks much more realistic so Bravo Zulu! Now get her out there and take her to the skies where she belongs, you won't be disappointed!

:Cool:
                                  Thanks Aros, appreciate it. This is a beautiful bird and I can’t wait to take her up. Many thanks to you all for bringing this plane to us all.
                                  Tolga
                                  Instagram: @_t01ga_
                                  YouTube: t01ga

Comment

• T01ga
                                    Great job really like it. I can you if they let you get close to it at your field on low pass, about 15” it will be a kick in the butt. It flies so good and looks so real, just don’t forget to fly it. Sometime I have remind myself.

Ken

Comment

• Got the new Corsair in. picked up Spektrum 6 and 8 channel sat rx. I have a spare Lemon and Admiral w/ the built in gyros. I'm honestly nervous to use the admiral again because that's whatIi had when it went down, although the evidence show it was ESC.

My problem is I like gyros for those times when the wind kicks up.
                                      Planes
                                      -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                                      -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• FWIW, I have flown nothing but Admiral rx's exclusively in all the recent releases (Phantom, F-22, Corsair, etc) without a single issue. Good luck!
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by t01ga View Post
                                          Click image for larger version

Name:	00937BF1-0A59-462F-B201-3EF3D02DAA27.jpeg
Views:	1363
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	194978[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"thumb","data-attachmentid":194963}[/ATTACH I have finished the weathering and looking forward to the maiden. I have seen great examples of weathering on this thread and I would like to thank everyone who had shared their ideas. Thanks for the inspiration.
                                          Here is my interpretation...
                                          Wow that is an amazing job and beautiful weather detailing. Thanks for sharing

Rich

Comment

Working...
                                          X