Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For me the term "Flying Scale" simply implies that the model isn't flinging around like a little toy. Graceful turns, loops, rolls...Speed has nothing to do with my definition of the term. If it's fluttery and jittery and resembles a toy in the air, that isn't scale looking to me. Other than the fun yanking and banking and other zany acrobatic shenanigans I like to engage in from time-to-time, I enjoy flying my scale models in a manner in which it resembles what the 1:1 might look like. I find it both rewarding and challenging to keep the control surfaces in a smooth, clean condition from takeoff to touchdown.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• 50 mph sounds about right for 400 mph scale speed and yes we cannot fly the full envelope of scale, especially at lower speeds as was explained to me, due to size of wing and little air molecules. That’s the end of that. I person enjoy trying to file scale, I think it is more of a challenge, that being said, you don’t want to fly scale then don’t.
      As far as “Whistling Death” the ground troop may have called it that, I am sure no Japanese pilot ever heard anything other their airplane being destroyed around them. Sounds good though.

Although Allied World War II sources frequently make the claim that the Japanese called the Corsair the "Whistling Death", Japanese sources do not support this, and it was mainly known as the Sikorsky.

Ken

Comment

• I'm with aros. I love to try to be smoth on the controls and make it look "scale" in the air. But, when I come in for a low altitude high speed pass, it would be nice to see it around 80 to 90 mph. Right now it looks like i could get a bird strike from the tail end. It has tons of of pull for acceleration which is great but I think I would like to trade some of that for speed. It would be awesome if we could do the zip tie mod (like on the fms or freewing p-51) on this plane. That would probably do the trick. Or even better if freewing/Motionrc would offer a propeller that would have a larger pitch that would come with a warning to use at your own risk. On my planes that I have done this mod to, I set my telemetry to give be a warning if I am within 5 amps of my esc's max current. I usually dont get that warning at all in flight but sometimes on take off, so I cant do 100% throttle on take off. But then again, I don't need to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
          For me the term "Flying Scale" simply implies that the model isn't flinging around like a little toy. Graceful turns, loops, rolls...Speed has nothing to do with my definition of the term. If it's fluttery and jittery and resembles a toy in the air, that isn't scale looking to me. Other than the fun yanking and banking and other zany acrobatic shenanigans I like to engage in from time-to-time, I enjoy flying my scale models in a manner in which it resembles what the 1:1 might look like. I find it both rewarding and challenging to keep the control surfaces in a smooth, clean condition from takeoff to touchdown.
          I'm with you Todd.:Cool: I tare up the skies with my funcub doing low inverted passes, hammer head stalls, snap rolls, rolling circles, etc and get it out of system. Then I fly the Corsair or other fighter types and go for the scale takeoffs, smooth graceful turns, strafing runs, and still working on those perfect scale landings on the mains letting the tail come down slowly. I don't buy the idea that people say they fly "scale" because they're to timid. I find flying differently for different types of planes much more satisfying instead of flying everything 3D.:Yawn:I have to challenge myself and push the envelope to keep it fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
            Exactly! I once made this erroneous statement with regard to "scale" speeds and I was quickly slapped around and put in my place by a couple of armchair RC aeronautical engineers. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that you just can't scale down a real plane's speed to get what the model would be doing for its "scale" speed. ....
            Actually, you CAN fly scale if you want, but obviously not the entire speed envelope.

Originally posted by xviper View Post
            ........As for this question ........................ I don't like to fly scale. I take my DC-3 and do loops and rolls with it. I have jets that will hover - not very "scale", is it? I believe "flying scale" is a term that some people use because speed makes them nervous or it scares them when it comes to models. Some won't or can't fly fast so they say they prefer to fly "scale". Not that there's anything wrong with that BUT, they shouldn't frown upon others if they want more speed or fly a certain way. My Corsairs and all of my planes, for that matter, the faster they are and the more powerful they can reasonably be made, the better - but that's ME. You wanna "fly scale" (whatever that means anyway), that's just fine. I won't dump on your parade.
            PS. My FMS Corsair whistles when it comes diving down over the runway. (You know - "whistling death"?) My FW/FL Corsair does not whistle. That's not scale, is it? But I'm OK with that.
            BTW, I've seen RC models of flying Dumbo. So, what's the "scale" speed for Dumbo? I mean, just how fast can a real elephant fly? Can anyone remember? And what about pigs? What's the "scale" airspeed for pigs? I recall someone saying it's about 25 snots and any faster than that, is oinkless. :Silly:
            To each his own. You obviously don't like to fly scale, I do. I go to airshows, especially warbird ones and especially Corsair ones, I study their flights and maneuvers, and I attempt to fly my models as realistically as possible. I used to power my Corsairs with more scale sounding Saito 4 stroke engines, but now am happy to be finally swinging a scale 3 blade prop even tho I have a 'silent' engine now. I have always built my Corsairs light, so that they can handle the slower speeds well. I'm not afraid of speed, just don't see the point of it when flying scale warbirds. Also not saying I restrict mine to 50 mph, but I just dont have the need to go much faster either (with this Corsair). Again, to each his own. You do loops with DC-3s, I'll do large loops, barrel rolls, wingovers, and strafing passes with my Corsair at slower, scale like speeds.

Comment

• My challenge is to fly after an entire bottle of Hornitos Repasado tequila and not break anything!!!! :Scared::Scared::Scared::Sick2::Whew: LOL Just joking, but there may have been a few flights in the past, when we were drunk as a skunk in the hay pasture.... Maybe...…:Not-Talking:

Comment

• Like in the past, meaning about 1984..... or there abouts…. :Silly:

Comment

• We have three (3) tornado warning here right this minute... Maybe need that drink anyways.... Dang. Texas!

Comment

• We used to have something we would affectionately term the "Wine and Fly"... LOL

Stay safe Hardway! :Scared:
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by sethscorsair View Post
                      Does anyone have a rudder that they don't need mine split in half where the hinge was and cannot repair it. I can pay money.
                      If you haven’t found one PM me, I a new one in the bag. Bought it when mine went over after hitting a hole then the prop, I was able to fix & repaint it, so have a spare.

Ken

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                        We have three (3) tornado warning here right this minute... Maybe need that drink anyways.... Dang. Texas!
                        I've been known to have a cerveza or three while at the flying field but I don't have to worry about AMA rules 'cause I'm not a member and I own my own field.:)Hope the tornados don't getcha!:Scared:

Comment

We have three (3) tornado warning here right this minute... Maybe need that drink anyways.... Dang. Texas!
                          When I was flying in the Air Force our saying was eight hours bottle to throttle.:Silly: Stay safe out there my friend!

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                            I've been known to have a cerveza or three while at the flying field but I don't have to worry about AMA rules 'cause I'm not a member and I own my own field.:)
                            And the commute isn't too shabby either! ;)
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Thank you all for caring, you are my brothers!!! We survived, but it was a close call this time.... :Whew:

Comment

• Glad you're all safe, Hardway! Tornadoes are no joke.
                                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thank you! Been in Texas all my 53 years, and still not used to the drama of the weather! LOL I appreciate the love Bro! Thanks for all you do... Many blessings! Jerry. :Cool:

Comment

Thank you all for caring, you are my brothers!!! We survived, but it was a close call this time.... :Whew:
                                    The weather is somewhat like your health............sometimes you just gotta hang on for the ride and hope for the best. ;) Glad nothing happened Bro :Whew:
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Glad your safe Hardway! Man those things are scary. :Scared:
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• sfcfury Try the zip tie modification under the props to increase the pitch. This will help a lot.

Comment

Thank you all for caring, you are my brothers!!! We survived, but it was a close call this time.... :Whew:
                                          Jerry,
                                          Glad you are safe and thank you for sharing that photo! Feeling bad for the others that were impacted by these storms. This is truly a small world....

All the best
                                          Rich

Comment

Working...
                                          X