Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official FlightLine F4U-1A Corsair 1600mm (63") Wingspan

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
    Congrats on the maiden Grover! Nice flight! Flown there a handful of times, I recognized it instantly. Not sure what you mean by flaps set way too much, my full setting is as far as the servo can handle! I LOVE seeing the flaps at darn near 90 on approach...

LOL

I was wanting to fly mine today but still waiting for the field to melt from all the snow we got. It's getting there...Tomorrow I will fly her for sure. Nicely done!
    Aros MRC - then come up here Cowboy as my guest! Flying starts at 10:00 but it's a bit cold then so I wait till around 1:00. Look me up! I'm the "Hoss" with the cowboy hat! LOLLOL

Comment

Congrats on the maiden Grover! Nice flight! Flown there a handful of times, I recognized it instantly. Not sure what you mean by flaps set way too much, my full setting is as far as the servo can handle! I LOVE seeing the flaps at darn near 90 on approach...

LOL

I was wanting to fly mine today but still waiting for the field to melt from all the snow we got. It's getting there...Tomorrow I will fly her for sure. Nicely done!
      True, true - Maybe my flap issue is I need to mix in more elevator? I'll into that today!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post

True, true - Maybe my flap issue is I need to mix in more elevator? I'll into that today!
        I have very few planes where I have done an elevator mix to compensate for flap "ballooning" or in some cases, flap diving. The unsettling of the plane when flaps are deployed is primarily a function of a couple of things.
        1. When do you use flaps generally? Real planes use partial flaps when taking off. Some models do and some models don't. The real problem comes when preparing to land where high incident flap positions are used. Real planes deploy flaps as they begin to slow down in preparation for landing. They don't deploy flaps when at cruising speed. They wait till the plane's airspeed has slowed down some. If you drop flaps when the plane is still flying "at speed", of course the plane will become unsettled. Now, go to point #2 .......................
        2. Deployment at too fast a rate. Slowing down the deployment will reduce or even eliminate any abrupt change in attitude. When the flaps suddenly and instantly drop, of course the plane will suddenly react. Real aircraft don't deploy their flaps instantaneously. Flaps go down gradually.
        3. If you do #1 and #2 above ........................ IE, slow down a bit first and deploy flaps at a slower rate. Any slight unsettling can be dealt with easily and manually. As the plane slows down some more, you will likely find that this manually compensation is no longer needed as the plane then flies quite well and naturally with the flaps and without any compensation. Have you ever noticed that when you "mix" in some elevator compensation for flaps and you deploy them before slowing down and deploy them rapidly, that you may have cured the "ballooning" BUT as the plane slows down more as you make your approach, you need to apply more UP elevator now? That's because at the slower speeds and after the plane has had time to "get used to" flying with flaps, it doesn't need any elevator compensation.

In most cases of RC flying, there really is no "need" for doing this mix. The "need" is mostly due to the way the pilot flies.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          I have very few planes where I have done an elevator mix to compensate for flap "ballooning" or in some cases, flap diving. The unsettling of the plane when flaps are deployed is primarily a function of a couple of things.
          1. When do you use flaps generally? Real planes use partial flaps when taking off. Some models do and some models don't. The real problem comes when preparing to land where high incident flap positions are used. Real planes deploy flaps as they begin to slow down in preparation for landing. They don't deploy flaps when at cruising speed. They wait till the plane's airspeed has slowed down some. If you drop flaps when the plane is still flying "at speed", of course the plane will become unsettled. Now, go to point #2 .......................
          2. Deployment at too fast a rate. Slowing down the deployment will reduce or even eliminate any abrupt change in attitude. When the flaps suddenly and instantly drop, of course the plane will suddenly react. Real aircraft don't deploy their flaps instantaneously. Flaps go down gradually.
          3. If you do #1 and #2 above ........................ IE, slow down a bit first and deploy flaps at a slower rate. Any slight unsettling can be dealt with easily and manually. As the plane slows down some more, you will likely find that this manually compensation is no longer needed as the plane then flies quite well and naturally with the flaps and without any compensation. Have you ever noticed that when you "mix" in some elevator compensation for flaps and you deploy them before slowing down and deploy them rapidly, that you may have cured the "ballooning" BUT as the plane slows down more as you make your approach, you need to apply more UP elevator now? That's because at the slower speeds and after the plane has had time to "get used to" flying with flaps, it doesn't need any elevator compensation.

In most cases of RC flying, there really is no "need" for doing this mix. The "need" is mostly due to the way the pilot flies.
          Excellent points and well taken. I'm guessing my speed was too high to get the correct result from experimenting. I do have the flaps set to deploy very slowly so I got that right. :) Thanks for your inputs. As always this forum has a tremendous amount of good and solid information! :Cool:

Comment

• Landings...
            I cannot stress enough that with any new airplane you must become intimate with how it stalls, clean and dirty.
            Get The model high enough but not too high that you can’t see exactly what it’s doing and practice stalling it. It’s nothing at all like a full size airplane where you learn to feel the stall progress in the seat of your pants.
            All we have in Rc is our eyes in place of our asses. Only your eyes to rely on, no airspeed indicator, no AOA gage, just eyes. Not easy to master at all...
            Couple that with the dozens upon dozens of different type models most of us fly and that’s amazing stuff what we do.
            If you alter settings with flap and elevator, see what the model does on a practice run high up.
            With any new airplane do not just fly around for 5-10 minutes for the sake of a video, take off, trim it out, start the stall practice runs then see how slow you can fly without stalling it clean or dirty.
            Remember, you are a test pilot at this point! And...
            That is a real maiden flight!

Comment

Excellent points and well taken. I'm guessing my speed was too high to get the correct result from experimenting. I do have the flaps set to deploy very slowly so I got that right. :) Thanks for your inputs. As always this forum has a tremendous amount of good and solid information! :Cool:
              Remember that what works for some may not work for others. It's just that I used to "slam" my flaps down at speed and watch my plane head for the clouds. Those were the days when I suffered from "frozen" thumbs when I just stood there and looked at the plane, unable to move my thumbs when something weird happened. I even saw a fellow flyer do it at full speed and he darn near did a loop. If he was flying a 3D plane, we would have all been impressed at how well he did a prop hang and tail slide.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
                Landings...
                I cannot stress enough that with any new airplane you must become intimate with how it stalls, clean and dirty.
                Get The model high enough but not too high that you can’t see exactly what it’s doing and practice stalling it. It’s nothing at all like a full size airplane where you learn to feel the stall progress in the seat of your pants.
                All we have in Rc is our eyes in place of our asses. Only your eyes to rely on, no airspeed indicator, no AOA gage, just eyes. Not easy to master at all...
                Couple that with the dozens upon dozens of different type models most of us fly and that’s amazing stuff what we do.
                If you alter settings with flap and elevator, see what the model does on a practice run high up.
                With any new airplane do not just fly around for 5-10 minutes for the sake of a video, take off, trim it out, start the stall practice runs then see how slow you can fly without stalling it clean or dirty.
                Remember, you are a test pilot at this point! And...
                That is a real maiden flight!
                Very true! Contrary to what one might naturally surmise, using high incident flaps may also require keeping some throttle going as it can be very deceptive how slow flaps can make a plane go. Sometimes, so slow that it will stall and when landing, the plane is getting closer to the ground - a very bad time to stall. Then, some planes don't like flaps at all and need quite a bit of throttle to NOT stall. The Eflite Cirrus was one of those planes. I gave up on the flaps and just left the flaps alone the whole flight.
                My big FMS Corsair, on the other hand, loves full flaps and as already pointed out, looks so cool with them down. I will presume that my FL Corsair will be very similar.

Comment

• I’m nearing completion of Gus’s Gopher. Special thanks to “LB” as without his initial input and 3DP cockpit, this would be just another plain Jane warbird of mine!:Cool:Thanks LB!

3 3/4 inch Robart tires, 3DP cockpit, Warbird Pilot, canopy repaint, engine mods, gun port mods, fuel caps with pull for main tank battery access, Callie Graphics... a bit more weathering and such as time permits but it’s 90% and airworthy now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1CDD1E80-6C4D-420A-A2FC-2A9E05B4F003.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	77.8 KB ID:	182677Click image for larger version  Name:	7C2D4019-927A-4DD9-8652-2CD9431A2E84.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	182678Click image for larger version  Name:	336F420B-7F75-4114-A216-A2DBEC6C9165.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	182676Click image for larger version  Name:	44330C76-7957-4A1A-8730-CD9020180E96.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	96.8 KB ID:	182679Click image for larger version  Name:	E95CD8FF-986F-45AC-8481-25121823365B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	182680Click image for larger version  Name:	D2AA072A-E2C8-4B77-9420-17EC813E4891.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	376.9 KB ID:	182687Click image for larger version  Name:	FC606070-8991-4A1C-95A4-966CA5344B92.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	282.8 KB ID:	182681Click image for larger version  Name:	96363094-4053-4960-9234-53264D189D62.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	298.8 KB ID:	182682Click image for larger version  Name:	D352EEE3-22E9-460E-9157-E2BC048A9657.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	331.2 KB ID:	182683Click image for larger version  Name:	454FB22E-F033-46EF-9431-C34207165E1F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	378.2 KB ID:	182684Click image for larger version  Name:	7EAB1B90-8F32-4A2C-AA55-BA7FCCA8F41A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	371.2 KB ID:	182685Click image for larger version  Name:	F73B8C35-C3A6-4B16-B875-3EE920CE9768.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	363.4 KB ID:	182686Click image for larger version  Name:	3279D908-F2F4-49EA-ABF0-E88202F1D357.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	356.8 KB ID:	182688

Comment

• [QUOTE=Ole-Timer;n182675]I’m nearing completion of Gus’s Gopher. Special thanks to “LB” as without his initial input and 3DP cockpit, this would be just another plain Jane warbird of mine!:Cool:Thanks LB! 3 3/4 inch Robart tires, 3DP cockpit, Warbird Pilot, canopy repaint, engine mods, gun port mods, fuel caps with pull for main tank battery access, Callie Graphics... a bit more weathering and such as time permits but it’s 90% and airworthy now.[Quote]

O-T, WOW! She's Outstanding, Sir. Love the subtleness and the 'mottled' areas (Salt Technique?). Though no thanks necessary as I just like what you do. Bravo Zulu. Best, LB
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Even Corsairs that remained stateside suffered countless oily boot scuff marks to the inboard wings from maintenance crews.
                      I used an old sea sponge from the craft store and a pallet of grey’s to daub that on. Best thing I could think of :Confused:
                      There’s a lot of fading different hue’s of blue n grey in this model to simulate sun fade all over it.
                      I’m ready to do some dry brushing here n there to help blend some areas and add a bit more tones.
                      After that some baby powder coral dust !

Click image for larger version  Name:	E26039F4-A01D-4763-BCFB-414ED2B2736A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	66.2 KB ID:	182702Click image for larger version  Name:	D979ABDE-6321-4B3F-886E-16EDD5A7F6FC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	131.6 KB ID:	182703

Comment

• Great work OT! Really like the subtle areas and the scuff marks is a unique and nice touch.

As for flaps, I agree with xviper, I always hit mine in two stages and never at cruising...With this model, no elevator mix is needed...Simply decrease throttle when setting up for the final, hit the first stage and then kick in full flaps on final and even with them as full as they can possibly be, there is absolutely no ballooning effect. Also, I always have my flaps on a realistic slow speed via my radio (5-6s on my iX12) to help avoid any undesirable pitch tendencies.
                        My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Aros MRC - then come up here Cowboy as my guest! Flying starts at 10:00 but it's a bit cold then so I wait till around 1:00. Look me up! I'm the "Hoss" with the cowboy hat! LOLLOL
                          Thanks, one weekend I will take you up on that! I attempted this morning but it's too windy to fly. Been windy here all weekend...Now I am at home in Honey Do Hell. :Scared:

My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Thanks, one weekend I will take you up on that! I attempted this morning but it's too windy to fly. Been windy here all weekend...Now I am at home in Honey Do Hell. :Scared:
                            Yes, turns out to be very windy here too. I decided not to fly either. Let me know when you'd like to come up. It'd be awesome to fly our Corsairs together. We'd draw quite a crowd! LOL

Comment

• OT:
                              Very nice! And I noticed that the foot step in the starboard flap is gone! Excellent detail. ;)

Comment

• Ole-timer
                                I really like that idea, where did you get the powder? Is it dry, wet or both?

Ken

Comment

• The mottled area that simulates foot scuffing was done with Model Master enamel paint. When you use a technique like this you are able to achieve a variety of texture, from nothing to rough. If you want a textured surface go heavy on the paint, but in this case I did the opposite, picked up a small load of paint on the sponge then work it over the pallet to achieve the correct color and work most of the paint off so when the sponge goes to the wing it’s barely wet and doesn’t build up a textured surface, just adds a thin coat of color. With a little practice it’s very easy to do.

Yes, I’d filled in the flap hole with foam board and some 222 lite. That was a big enough boo boo it had to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                    Very true! Contrary to what one might naturally surmise, using high incident flaps may also require keeping some throttle going as it can be very deceptive how slow flaps can make a plane go. Sometimes, so slow that it will stall and when landing, the plane is getting closer to the ground - a very bad time to stall. Then, some planes don't like flaps at all and need quite a bit of throttle to NOT stall. The Eflite Cirrus was one of those planes. I gave up on the flaps and just left the flaps alone the whole flight.
                                    My big FMS Corsair, on the other hand, loves full flaps and as already pointed out, looks so cool with them down. I will presume that my FL Corsair will be very similar.
                                    Good conversation and good points! I went ahead and changed my flaps to deploy much slower, slowed them down from Norm -> 4.0 for both directions, it deploys much slower, hopefully enough speed to gradually make corrections if needed

Comment

• Hi Guys
                                      I found some scale detail photos that I took a couple of years ago at the San Diego air museum .. Hope you like the shots
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8631.JPG
Views:	805
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	182753Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8630.JPG
Views:	765
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	182754Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8629.JPG
Views:	708
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	182755Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8628.JPG
Views:	736
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	182756Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8627.JPG
Views:	738
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	182757

Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
                                        The mottled area that simulates foot scuffing was done with Model Master enamel paint. When you use a technique like this you are able to achieve a variety of texture, from nothing to rough. If you want a textured surface go heavy on the paint, but in this case I did the opposite, picked up a small load of paint on the sponge then work it over the pallet to achieve the correct color and work most of the paint off so when the sponge goes to the wing it’s barely wet and doesn’t build up a textured surface, just adds a thin coat of color. With a little practice it’s very easy to do.

Yes, I’d filled in the flap hole with foam board and some 222 lite. That was a big enough boo boo it had to go.
                                        From the start I wanted to keep the mottled paint as thin as possible, primarily so I didn’t create lumps of paint on the wing. Keeping the paint thin also allowed me to sand the area with a piece of used 240 sandpaper. I did sand in the direction that feet would normally be clamoring around the wing at, envisioning coral encrusted boots at work. I was surprised at how little sanding was necessary to remove much of the harsh detail and blend the area into a more realistic appearance. I just dove into this pool headfirst but for some of you detail diehards out there, a little practice on an old wrecked piece should get you going on something really keen.

Before sanding

Name:	B97D9B22-7654-4D93-B8FD-5869EDD7F068.jpeg
Views:	767
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	182930

After sanding

Name:	75B4CA32-5563-405B-A0DE-835FCB35DDCF.jpeg
Views:	861
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	182929

Comment

• Love coming back to this thread after a few days and catching up on peoples progress. Ole-Timer, looks amazing, the early bird cage version would have been my personal model choice, for the weathering potential alone, and you've done a stunning job sir, thank you for sharing.

We had a break in the weather recently, unusually hot and calm for March! It did mean however I was able to get out and fly the Corsair, then shoot video too (see below). Obviously she's a sweetheart in the air (better than the 1.6m Spit and and almost as good as the F7F, the lack of torque being the only advantage) but on the ground just as much fun as you should see.

There are some in-flight still's I'll post a little later too.

Stuart.

Comment

Working...
                                          X