Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @Chalredline1 Congratulations on a successful maiden!

Anyone have plans for converting to folded wings?

Comment

• I've been wrestling with the idea of purchasing this beauty. I just stop short of hitting the "place order" button because to me an electric Corsair isn't a CORSAIR.
      Must be my age or the fact that I've only flown using nitro until recently.
      Maybe this isn't the place but maybe some of you can convince me into buying this.

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post
        "Glad" (no, not really) to see I'm not the only one to do this. I detailed my experience a few pages back. Same damage plus a shattered aluminum X-mount. My father did the same thing a week after I did (after flying his a half-dozen times). I've read of others on the RCG thread. The "good" news is that this model is designed so that the retract units fail -- instead of tearing out chunks of wing. I think most of you will agree, better to replace retracts than having to repair (and attempt to strengthen) the wing.

I've flown mine several times since, and all the landings have been great -- the key is that this plane needs more throttle on landing than most, if not all, warbirds I have owned. I have my flaps set up to crank as far down as mechanically possible, and I'm finding that I need 1/3 or even more on the final stretch to earth, and then "fly it" to the ground, cutting the power just before I make contact with the runway. If this sounds like I'm landing "fast", trust me, not the case -- nice and slow with a short roll-out, with hardly any runway used. I had to get past my mental block of trying to land with that much throttle (I have been working for months against trying to land my EDFs with TOO MUCH throttle on final). Some guys point out the "big radial engine" as a source of drag (and partial cause of these stalls), which I don't really buy. I have the FMS 1500mm P-47, which has all kinds of radial engine frontal drag, and I have the flaps set to really crank down on that. It'll land with almost no throttle, and no tendency to stall.

I'm not the first person to say you have to fly this plane with power all the way to the ground -- just a +1 in hopes of helping somebody else avoid this. Side note: I hope MotionRC gets the retracts in soon -- I, like others, had to purchase the retract+strut at roughly twice the cost, when I only needed the retracts.
        Yeah I just dumb thumbed it...All my landings have been great until the last one yesterday. Still shaking my head about it. I'll look over the damage and see what's salvageable but new retracts/doors are likely in my future.
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Age has nothing to do with not liking electric. It has to do with being a bit stuck in the mud and finding it hard to accept change. I've belonged to clubs where the "old guard", both young guys and old guys can be gas snobs. They'll sneer at the guys who fly electrics like they are second class citizens. They just seem to hate it when an electric guy comes to the field with 5 or 6 electrics that are so real looking, they can't believe it. The electric guys will fly their planes 2 or 3 times each while the gas guy is fueling, messing with the idle, holding his plane nose up, nose down, right side up and upside down and doing it all over again when the thing stalls. He flies for 20 minutes (much less if the thing craps out on the climb because the engine dies), lands and spends the next 15 minutes wiping it down. Next thing you know, the same guys show up at the field when they think nobody else is there so they can maiden their new electric. After a few flights, they don't care anymore as their collection of electrics grows and the gassers start growing cobwebs.
          PS. I'm an old guy who flies only electrics. I started with gas and I now find gassers are noisey, messy, fiddly and obnoxious. Yes, I've become an electric snob. And yes, there are still gas snobs at the clubs I belong to, but they are ALL coming around and many have electrics now. Sure, there is a small number of gas only guys but some only come when they know other gas guys will be there (for moral support). They aren't so much snobs anymore.
          If an electric Corsair isn't a CORSAIR, well, that's in your mind and only you can change that perception. I don't consider any gas plane to be the "real" thing as not many real equivalents of those plane have a smoking, oil puking single cylinder engine. If an RC Corsair doesn't have a 9 cylinder radial engine in it, it's not a CORSAIR to me, but then, I shove my head in a bucket of cold water until my breath runs out and then it simply just doesn't matter.
          ;):Silly:

Comment

• Originally posted by I-fly-rc-aircraft View Post
            I've been wrestling with the idea of purchasing this beauty. I just stop short of hitting the "place order" button because to me an electric Corsair isn't a CORSAIR.
            Maybe this isn't the place but maybe some of you can convince me into buying this.

Tom
            Gas or electric they are all models. I began with all gas in 1969. Myself and my best friend both flew gas for decades and are both now all electric. I love electric, clean, quiet, and as real as it gets for my pay grade. I don’t miss the mess at all or the noise. The real bonus is being able to fly several places I could never fly a gas model due to the annoying noise. It’s all good now. I mean, seriously, The only real Corsair is a real Corsair.

Comment

• I have had several Corsair models over the years and my experience with flaps has been... full flap Landings often result in damaged maingear due to the critical speed balancing between throttle and flap drag when they are all the way down. I program my flaps so full down is about half what they're capable of traveling and don't have the damage as much.

Comment

• Was all glow many moons ago. That was the only choice then. I didn't enjoy the motor problems or the mess. Got to admit, I did like the smell. When I got back into the hobby 7 years ago, went all electric and never looked back. I like to fly multi engine so electric is by far the most reliable option there. Even my big birds, 30cc - 100cc, are all electric. An 18 x 8 at 11k rpm or a 27 x 10 at 7k rpm makes plenty of sound for me.

Comment

• The flightline corsair is more scale than a lot of gas corsairs i have seen. And as far as it being a foam plane i have to tell everyone who sees it that its an epo model because you cant see any foam cells most think its balsa.

Comment

• Originally posted by uuc328 View Post
                    Would any of you be so kind to take some measurements on the metal prop reinforcement piece? In particular the distance between the 2 prop screw holes and then the center to the first prop screw hole.

Was going to order one from MotionRC but they are out of stock at the moment.
                    The center hole is 10mm in diameter The distance between the center of the large hole and the first screw hole is 13.5mm The distance between both screw holes for mounting the propeller blade is 10mm. I hope this helps. Sorry it didn't get done last night!! Jerry

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post

The center hole is 10mm in diameter The distance between the center of the large hole and the first screw hole is 13.5mm The distance between both screw holes for mounting the propeller blade is 10mm. I hope this helps. Sorry it didn't get done last night!! Jerry
                      No need for the apology. You are the man! Thank you Jerry!!

Comment

• Still messing with the side panels.... I used a Dremel and ground down the 3D printed throttle quadrant. I used one from the FMS 1400 P-47 cockpit kit and cut and glued it in for a little more detail. Still has a lot of painting and washes and fades to be done.... Having fun!!! ;):P:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                          I know, it's always that "One more flight" that gets you!!

Thanks folks...I will take a look at the carnage tomorrow or in a couple days. Just sick about it right now even though it's not a total loss. The plane itself is fine...Just can't believe I stalled her 2 seconds before landing.

:Angry:
                          Sorry Man!! :Scared::Sick2:

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                            Was all glow many moons ago. That was the only choice then. I didn't enjoy the motor problems or the mess. Got to admit, I did like the smell.
                            I loved the smell of Testers model airplane glue back in the day, however, I don't think I should be so proud as to admit it. :Silly:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                              So, the dark side of the hobby...

Took her out for a pleasant dusk-ish sortie. Wonderful flight. After the perfect greaser I decided one more go around.

Flight was fine but I cannot believe I committed the ultimate sin. On the approach, seconds before touchdown I hit stall speed. I thought, no big deal, just punch the throttle...

Nope. She fell to the earth at around 1.5 feet and the gear completely collapsed. Gear doors shattered, broke 2 of 3 props.

Man, talk about a crappy way to end my day. :(
                              Sorry to be reading about your mishap! were you on final with some power on or did you just cut the power to soon....?

Please share what happened to the landing gear and where the stress points are, photos?

I will pick up some spare parts just in case I do this too
                              Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post

SNAFU - Yeah did that and it stripped. It's really in there tight. :Angry: Did I waste a servo or is there a way to get this damn screw out? :Thinking:
                                Try a small flathead.

Comment

• questions for you guys as I am currently assembling my f4u1d- came without an antenna and is bare foam on top of tail? anyone get this as well?(nothing to fit it in bags either) after I install my lemon DSMX receiver, I cycle flaps and gear (seem to work) I am sitting right next to the plane and the flaps retracted on one side automatically? this happened a few times, also the gear would retract very very slowly, on one instance the doors only opened and the gear did not extend? it had been working earlier as I was messing with the servo speed but I put it all back to normal. very concerning as it seems to have a mind of its own and with gear and flaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                    Age has nothing to do with not liking electric. It has to do with being a bit stuck in the mud and finding it hard to accept change. I've belonged to clubs where the "old guard", both young guys and old guys can be gas snobs. They'll sneer at the guys who fly electrics like they are second class citizens. They just seem to hate it when an electric guy comes to the field with 5 or 6 electrics that are so real looking, they can't believe it. The electric guys will fly their planes 2 or 3 times each while the gas guy is fueling, messing with the idle, holding his plane nose up, nose down, right side up and upside down and doing it all over again when the thing stalls. He flies for 20 minutes (much less if the thing craps out on the climb because the engine dies), lands and spends the next 15 minutes wiping it down. Next thing you know, the same guys show up at the field when they think nobody else is there so they can maiden their new electric. After a few flights, they don't care anymore as their collection of electrics grows and the gassers start growing cobwebs.
                                    PS. I'm an old guy who flies only electrics. I started with gas and I now find gassers are noisey, messy, fiddly and obnoxious. Yes, I've become an electric snob. And yes, there are still gas snobs at the clubs I belong to, but they are ALL coming around and many have electrics now. Sure, there is a small number of gas only guys but some only come when they know other gas guys will be there (for moral support). They aren't so much snobs anymore.
                                    If an electric Corsair isn't a CORSAIR, well, that's in your mind and only you can change that perception. I don't consider any gas plane to be the "real" thing as not many real equivalents of those plane have a smoking, oil puking single cylinder engine. If an RC Corsair doesn't have a 9 cylinder radial engine in it, it's not a CORSAIR to me, but then, I shove my head in a bucket of cold water until my breath runs out and then it simply just doesn't matter.
                                    Come-on Xviper, Don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel.... LOLLOL:Cool:

Comment

Age has nothing to do with not liking electric. It has to do with being a bit stuck in the mud and finding it hard to accept change. I've belonged to clubs where the "old guard", both young guys and old guys can be gas snobs. They'll sneer at the guys who fly electrics like they are second class citizens. They just seem to hate it when an electric guy comes to the field with 5 or 6 electrics that are so real looking, they can't believe it. The electric guys will fly their planes 2 or 3 times each while the gas guy is fueling, messing with the idle, holding his plane nose up, nose down, right side up and upside down and doing it all over again when the thing stalls. He flies for 20 minutes (much less if the thing craps out on the climb because the engine dies), lands and spends the next 15 minutes wiping it down. Next thing you know, the same guys show up at the field when they think nobody else is there so they can maiden their new electric. After a few flights, they don't care anymore as their collection of electrics grows and the gassers start growing cobwebs.
                                      Though I still have 3 Gasses I am a sucker for the ease and satisfaction that my Electric fleet brings me !! I am with you Viper!
                                      Attached Files
                                      Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

I loved the smell of Testers model airplane glue back in the day, however, I don't think I should be so proud as to admit it. :Silly:
                                        I was an Ambroid guy myself...Oh, Testers Corsair Blue dope, too. :Silly:

Comment

• Originally posted by I-fly-rc-aircraft View Post
                                          I've been wrestling with the idea of purchasing this beauty. I just stop short of hitting the "place order" button because to me an electric Corsair isn't a CORSAIR.

Tom
                                          Tom - I've got only a couple years under my belt in this hobby though I've wanted to be in it 25 years ago but with kids, their sports, tuition and work took priority. I was thrilled to learn the technology had changed and electric now has a very large footprint in this hobby. Frankly, I was glad electric and EPO had evolved as it did because I wasn't looking forward to the messy part of gas/nitro and it was my observation that all the fuel guys spent more time tinkering with their engines than flying. So, 4 - large scale planes later I've jumped in with both feet.

I focus on large scale Balsa/Ply ARFs (76" P6E Hawk and a Hangar 9, 69.5" P51D WIP) both electric, an 84" Carbon Z and my new FL Bubbletop 1600mm Corsair also electric. Though my Corsair and Carbon Z are foam the ARF's give me a flavor of the build part of the hobby. I can't recommend enough the new FlightLine Corsair BT or BC. For the money it's unbelievable quality and detail. Go for it my friend. NOTE - the Hangar 9 pictured is a stock photo since I'm still building it but the following link will give you a flavor of the Hangar 9 bird which will be electric. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZstkssX1fQ

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk at Field.JPG
Views:	747
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	184271Click image for larger version

Name:	Carbon Z.3.JPG
Views:	675
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	184272Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair Final 4.JPG
Views:	697
Size:	81.5 KB