X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by theoldALFER View Post
    QUOTE=Hugh Wiedman; Still need to finish up the mods on the Robart 3.5" wheels,

https://youtu.be/r4DPjE9gaNc
    Hugh,
    im going to do the Robart 3.5 inch wheel mod, too. :Confused:What “issues” are you dealing with?

Thanks for the heads up!
    toA
    :Cool:[/QUOTE]

Update on the Robart wheel modification, although TiredironGRB had a great post back on December 20th at 10:59AM (not sure the post number) where he described the set up with Robart 3.5" and 3.75". I install Robarts on every plane I can, including my 4 Extreme Flight birds. Have the 4" on my 1700mm P-51 and Robarts on all my warbirds, love them. The stock foam wheels get fairly ragged after about 10 flights on our asphalt runway, so the Robarts are the way to go for me. I can put at least 50 flights on them and still they look and perform well, no bounce and smooth running. If you do nothing else, you definitely need to put these shoes on your plane!

For the Corsair I opted for the 3.5", would have loved to go with the 3.75" but I was running out of patience to get this done and didn't want to rework the gear door servo linkage and cut out foam to accommodate the larger wheel (see Tirediron's post-he's my hero). For the 3.5" here is what is needed: (I should also say that you will need to heat up the set screw to get the axel out as they used lock tight to keep it in, otherwise you will strip the allen head in the set screw-I used a small butane torch-or use a lighter)

1) The axel will need to be shortened by about 5-7mm (measure how much by putting all the parts and washers needed for unobstructed running) and the flat spot will need to be ground in (mark that through the empty set screw hole)
    2) Using the existing metal collar/spacer it comes stock with, you will also need to add another couple (or 1) #10 washers (both on the inside of the axel near the strut) so the wheel does not hit the strut and maintains the same spacing as stock. Instead of metal washers, I used 1 Dubro 10-32 nylon flat washer number DUB 638 and it fit perfectly.
    3) Now that the easy part is done, on to what for me was the pain in the a... So if anyone has a better method, please let us know. The Robarts come with a variety of wheel hubs/bushings, however, none of them are big enough for the stock axel. So I took the largest, the 3/16 and drilled it out to accommodate the axel (thank god I have a drill press). Unfortunately, it's easy to mangle the little plastic hub when holding it or drilling it so I started with a 13/64 drill (which now makes the axel fit, but too tight). Then I continued to slowly "ream" it out to make it work. Couldn't use a 7/32 drill, cause that ended up mangling the bushing beyond use because the bushing walls are now getting too thin. Had to finish making it larger with a round file and some elbow grease. Now the bushing ID is good but it is expanded slightly on its OD and doesn't fit well back in the wheel, so I used the round file on the wheel to enlarge that slightly to get the bushing in. Now the bushing fits tight in the wheel and the axel spins freely. :Whew: I guess you could put the wheel on without the bushings (1/4" hole), but for me, that resulted in too much wheel wobble as the axel is something like 7/32 (but I'm sure it's a metric size so if any of you out there have the metric size, please post it and you can use a metric washer instead of the 10-32's I used, but they did fit perfectly).

I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the spokes, so I haven't put it back together yet, otherwise I'd post a photo, though not that much to see. I'm sure you'll get them on just fine. Any questions or run into any difficulties, just let us know.

I will say that the way FL set up the wheels and axels and where the set screw is, for me, the absolute best way to do it to allow changing wheels simple. For other models, you need a mechanical engineering degree (I barely got out of kindergarten) and the Robarts are a labor of love trying to install, especially if you want to keep the wheel covers and spoke covers.:Angry:
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post

I'm an idiot! :Silly: Spent way too much time on this damn pitot tube BUT I think I figured out why it didn't come with one in the beginning! It lasted about 5 minutes.....I broke it off loading the wings in my SUV. LOLLOLLOL I'll try to shorten it and push it deeper in the wing to firm it up but if it snaps again that's it, damn the scale police...... I'll DAP the hole and paint it. :Cool:
      Love your pitot tube but I have broken all of them off the planes I had where they were installed, so join the club. Any pre-installed antennae or machine guns, are also destined to be broken (done that as well). If I can't take it off and stick in on just before flight, it ain't going to happen.:Devil:
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

I'm an idiot! :Silly: Spent way too much time on this damn pitot tube BUT I think I figured out why it didn't come with one in the beginning! It lasted about 5 minutes.....I broke it off loading the wings in my SUV. LOLLOLLOL I'll try to shorten it and push it deeper in the wing to firm it up but if it snaps again that's it, damn the scale police...... I'll DAP the hole and paint it. :Cool:
        I didn't want to throw cold water on your fun. You seem to get a tremendous amount of entertainment and joy from these sorts of things. It's good to see such enthusiasm. The only plane I have that came with pitot tubes that I kept is the L-39 and that one has 2, however, they are situated about 1/2 way down the wing so they don't catch anything when there's a tip over. Anything that I've had with such protrusions near the wing tip have broken off sooner or later, usually sooner. Depending on the length and location of the tube, I've actually started to just leave them off. Adding one that close to the wing tip has never been a high priority. Even the pointy things on the end of a plane's beak (like on the Mirage, F-16 and others) have never lasted more than 1 or 2 flights. I leave them off now, never even considering to replace them.
        (I've always lobbed Molitov cocktails and bricks at the scale police anyway.)

Comment

I'm an idiot! :Silly: Spent way too much time on this damn pitot tube. I'll try to shorten it and push it deeper in the wing to firm it up
          This is how I make sure my pitot tube survives:
          Find a brass tube that the pitot tube fits snugly into. Push the tube into the wing. Stuff some modeling clay (or something similar) into the tube. This will hold the pitot tube in place. Remove pitot tube for transport. Has worked well on my B-24 (nose & tail guns) and F8F cannons -
          satisfies the scale police ...
          ;)

Comment

• I agree with theoldAlfer. I have done this on many planes like Corsairs and P-47s that have a propensity to get their pitot tubes snagged on something and broken off. I glued a short piece of brass tubing in the wing, and then slide the pitot tube I made out of brass tube, plastic, and wood. Works like a champ!

Comment

• Brilliant Dave! Great idea.

Well I am pleased to report she's back on her feet again. Going to take her out for a dusk sortie in a bit and you better believe I won't be hitting stall speed on the landing this time!

Click image for larger version

Name:	newfeet.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	185082
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• [QUOTE=Aros.MotionRC;n185081]Brilliant Dave! Great idea.

Well I am pleased to report she's back on her feet again. Going to take her out for a dusk sortie in a bit and you better believe I won't be hitting stall speed on the landing this time!
                Looks even better than before Todd. I'm thinkin' the robart 3 1/2"s would be the next addition.:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                  Looks even better than before Todd. I'm thinkin' the robart 3 1/2"s would be the next addition.:Cool:
                  You are correct, sir! ;):Cool:

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    I didn't want to throw cold water on your fun. You seem to get a tremendous amount of entertainment and joy from these sorts of things. It's good to see such enthusiasm. The only plane I have that came with pitot tubes that I kept is the L-39 and that one has 2, however, they are situated about 1/2 way down the wing so they don't catch anything when there's a tip over. Anything that I've had with such protrusions near the wing tip have broken off sooner or later, usually sooner. Depending on the length and location of the tube, I've actually started to just leave them off. Adding one that close to the wing tip has never been a high priority. Even the pointy things on the end of a plane's beak (like on the Mirage, F-16 and others) have never lasted more than 1 or 2 flights. I leave them off now, never even considering to replace them.
                    (I've always lobbed Molitov cocktails and bricks at the scale police anyway.)
                    Yes but you should have, I was just pulled into post 1922, page 97 from the "Mudduck" Great post but for a rookie like me it was a pitot death sentence! :P:Cool:

Comment

Yes but you should have, I was just pulled into post 1922, page 97 from the "Mudduck" Great post but for a rookie like me it was a pitot death sentence! :P:Cool:
                      When it comes to something that is as harmless as this, it's best to leave it be. The fun and enjoyment of the chase is a far better reward than any resultant misfortune. It's not like it destroyed the plane.

Comment

• So this happened yesterday! Woohoo!!!

Comment

• Hugh, had the same issues with my Robert wheels, thought I must have received old stock or something based on the how to in these threads. I Did not use the bushings, used alum and brass tubing cut to length, a little lithium grease and they run smooth and true. Nice the way the axles mount, no wheel collet required under the spokes as in the old days of changing to Robert wheels

Comment

• Originally posted by Md_cobra View Post
                            So this happened yesterday! Woohoo!!!
                            OK.... I really really like this livery!!! So just asking.... ( I am not a rivet counter ) is this correct for the bird cage? Just asking. Thanks guys !
                            Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• The lines forward are not. An I put the kill flags on backwards. Oh well. This plane was piloted by Capt. Edwin Olander. An was in the black sheep squadron so I added the squadron crest. I like it.

Comment

• Comment

• Sold !!! Ordering Today!
                                  Well done Sir! Thanks!
                                  Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• [QUOTE=Aros.MotionRC;n185081]Brilliant Dave! Great idea.

Well I am pleased to report she's back on her feet again. Going to take her out for a dusk sortie in a bit and you better believe I won't be hitting stall speed on the landing this time![QUOTE]

Great..... looking good. Keep an eye out for light poles and imaginary runways three feet high :)

Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post
                                      Great..... looking good. Keep an eye out for light poles and imaginary runways three feet high :)
                                      Always sound advice! LOL

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I was down at the local flying field yesterday and finally got to see one of these birds up close. It was the Birdcage, my personal fav, and so much sexier in person. The pilot took 'er up and had a beautiful flight.... and then. He did the warbird bounce upon landing and she came down on 'er right wing hard enough to snap it right at the bend. I felt bad enough for the pilot that I almost shed a tear, but was still so full of envy. Someday... someday...
                                        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• Got some flights in this evening. So nice to have her fully dressed. Wait..

Comment

Working...
                                          X