X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
    How about some pictures of where your gear are failing...?
    I cannot figure out why all Rc components come with preinstalled wiring harnesses. Why aren’t they all made with a plug at the component, just like real aircraft are made. Would make component changes a snap, right :Silly:
    Yes sir I agree with that, but that makes too much sense :Confused:

Comment

• Right? Wing quick connect has been a relatively newer amenity in the hobby. Now imagine quick-connect retracts and servos. Heaven.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• When I replace a retract or a servo, I cut the wire and put a connector where the wire went into the old unit and cut the wire of the new unit and put a connector on it. Then put a safety clip on it. Though it would be awesome if they came like that oem....

Comment

• I'm in with Todd. Even if there was a manual plug at the servo or retract.....that would solve the problem of pulling all the wire up and wrecking the low vis aspects of the original installation. But now that you mention it, why not snap in snap out parts with no screws like my battery tools?:):Drooling:And automatic reordering of parts at the point of impact.LOLYour IX 12 smart transmitter would beep and tell you how much that crash just cost you. LOLLOLStalled plane on landing....$75 direct impact with light pole $300 direct impact with tree in grumpy neighbor's yard with San Juan County Sherriff called out for retrieval...priceless.:Scared::Scared::Scared:beep beep warning! credit card meltdown! beep beep warning! inactivity...inactivity..inactivity..inactivity RIGHT?;)

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
            I'm in with Todd. Even if there was a manual plug at the servo or retract.....that would solve the problem of pulling all the wire up and wrecking the low vis aspects of the original installation. But now that you mention it, why not snap in snap out parts with no screws like my battery tools?:):Drooling:And automatic reordering of parts at the point of impact.LOLYour IX 12 smart transmitter would beep and tell you how much that crash just cost you. LOLLOLStalled plane on landing....$75 direct impact with light pole $300 direct impact with tree in grumpy neighbor's yard with San Juan County Sherriff called out for retrieval...priceless.:Scared::Scared::Scared:beep beep warning! credit card meltdown! beep beep warning! inactivity...inactivity..inactivity..inactivity RIGHT?;)
            Have the ACARS send the B1 codes with the most probable causes of the fault per the FIM. :)

Comment

• I replaced my left gear and routed it as per the original. Pretty straight forward. Just tie a string on the connector when removing, tie and tape the string to the new one and feed it back through. I had to use a small screw driver to help it through a couple areas but all went pretty smoothly.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                I'm in with Todd. Even if there was a manual plug at the servo or retract.....that would solve the problem of pulling all the wire up and wrecking the low vis aspects of the original installation. But now that you mention it, why not snap in snap out parts with no screws like my battery tools?:):Drooling:And automatic reordering of parts at the point of impact.LOLYour IX 12 smart transmitter would beep and tell you how much that crash just cost you. LOLLOLStalled plane on landing....$75 direct impact with light pole $300 direct impact with tree in grumpy neighbor's yard with San Juan County Sherriff called out for retrieval...priceless.:Scared::Scared::Scared:beep beep warning! credit card meltdown! beep beep warning! inactivity...inactivity..inactivity..inactivity RIGHT?;)
                LOL LOL LOL
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Yea,
                  Lets not get too carried away now :)
                  All I’m asking for is a component with a two inch wire lead on it so I can pull it out, unplug it, and plug the new unit in. I do have the capability of cutting my wire and installing new pins and plugs..., and have done so. I’d just be nice if they came that way.

I’ll sleuth out the rest thank you ;)

Comment

• So for any of you that have broken your main landing gear, could you post some pictures of what’s failing.

Pretty please, I just love pictures.

Comment

• I've had a number of planes with Retracts. Rotating retracts have always been challenging. A poor rotating mechanism can cause headaches and gets costly. Is this Corsair's retracts a poor design?
                      Has anyone posted pictures of how/where they fail?
                      Is it from poor/bad landings or just from normal wear and tear. Motion's offering of the 1600mm Corsair hasn't been out that long so I suspect the gear isn't all that forgiving on other than perfect landings.

Tom

Comment

Yea,
                        Lets not get too carried away now :)
                        All I’m asking for is a component with a two inch wire lead on it so I can pull it out, unplug it, and plug the new unit in. I do have the capability of cutting my wire and installing new pins and plugs..., and have done so. I’d just be nice if they came that way.

I’ll sleuth out the rest thank you ;)
                        I totally agree. I wish they came like that stock. It has been my experience so far that when I have taken the time to pin a new connector like that, it seems to never fail again... So I don't get to reap the spoils for my toils....LOL

Hmmm, maybe I should do that with all the components in a new plane, ya know, so nothing ever fails...:Confused:

Comment

• I fly the Corsair only off of tarmac runway and had the port gear fail to retract after one particular perfect (in my mind!) landing. To date all of my landings have been no bounce, very pleasant ones. Anyway, I removed that gear assembly and found that the jackscrew in the retract unit was bent and so stalling out the retract motor. Have not figured out what could have caused that to bend -- a goodly aft force on the wheel at touchdown putting a load on the trunnion maybe ? Tried to straighten but that shaft has some solid heat treat and seems to be integral with the motor shaft anyway so cannot replace. I replaced the whole gear assembly (Motion being out of stock on just the retract unit) and all is well. I thought that replacing the unit was a piece of cake, if you find that process hard then you haven't built many models from scratch !

Note that I had the same thing happen with my F/W F-4 nosegear --- a bent jackscrew preventing rotation of the motor and thus cycling of the gear. Again I do not remember ever doing a really hard landing with this model (is usually a very nice wheeled on landing that sticks solidly). Have never broken the oleo/trunnion pin as seems to be the common weak point of the nosegear on a hard landing with the F-4.

Comment

• I use an old pushrod with a hook on the end to pull the wires through. It worked well with the P-40 when I replaced the wings.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• I’ve outlived my uselessness here :Whew:

Comment

• I’ve had some bumpy landing, not afraid to admit it. But the plane just takes it in stride. I’ve even had a fair amount of side load induced on a landing from a cross wind and it didn’t seem to affect it. I’ve also had some real greasers. I may be a little rusty but I don’t like landing in a cross wind with this plane as it wiggles too much. Gets a little bouncy. I have 25 flights on my Corsair now. Enjoy every one of them.

Comment

• I found an interesting probem when I installed my Bg 6 autopilot in my corsair. When I lowered the gear the rudder and the steering to the tailwheel failed completely. I bypassed the junction box
                                  and put the steering straight from receiver to tw and rudder with a Y and it works ok.
                                  I wasn't concerned about losing orientation on this Birdcage Corsair due to the fact I can depend on my BG 6 to return it to me should I lose orientation on it
                                  and when it didn't work at first I was concerned I might have to lower the tailwheel and leave it down to have control over it.

Comment

So for any of you that have broken your main landing gear, could you post some pictures of what’s failing.

Pretty please, I just love pictures.
                                    I broke this while trying to fly in fog. I think this is the common problem.
                                    In no way am I am an outstanding pilot but I think the most common problem is we are trying to land this plane too slow. I have found that if you have a Spectrum radio,you set an alarm for center point on the throttle, you also can add the racket strip. I found both of these a great help in flying, I setup at 1/2 throttle with a little up elevator, once the landing flaps come on, I fly it to the end of strip and come back about 3 clicks and let it land. I think that is more speed that what was seen in the videos or the speed was misleading in the videos, as we see them. Does that make sense?
                                    Don’t burn me on this.

Ken
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• I can certainly attest to being too slow is what bit me. It's something I very rarely do with warbirds, especially Corsairs in this size range, but Dumb Thumbs happen. This model should always be flown to the ground with 25-30% power give-or-take headwind conditions and other factors. Anything under 25% power is asking for trouble.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I say a BIG second to that, sometime I like to give it a little shot of throttle just before landing, it will 3 point like a champ.

Ken

Comment

• F4U vs P-51:
                                          https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=f4u-1&&view=detail&mid=3C49880F8B47558EBEDA3C49880F8B4 7558EBEDA&rvsmid=57D607E1501B21B6A0A657D607E1501B2 1B6A0A6&FORM=VDMCNR
                                          :Cool:

N-Joy

Comment

Working...
                                          X