Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very nice!

Comment

• Looking great as usual Elbee...How do you get your cuts so clean? No matter what I do my cuts always look like I let a monkey carve with a rusty saw from the 1940's.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
        Looking great as usual Elbee...How do you get your cuts so clean? No matter what I do my cuts always look like I let a monkey carve with a rusty saw from the 1940's.
        Aros, Zona fine tooth razor saws; one is narrow and the other is wide, both 52 tpi. I remove those from the handles, mark out an I.D. and O.D, then draw the cut lines. I use a scalpel to make the first cut through as close perfect as I am able, slip the narrow saw through and start the cut. Or sometimes I just close my eyes and saw away. Clean up is with the scalpel and 50 grit on a sanding block. I have yet to perfect a technique, but for now this working on the EPO well enough. Oh, and I pay the monkeys in my employ in cash and not bananas. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
          Corsair Crowd, I have a bit more to share for those who dare. I thought I would do a little dressing-up of the OEM cockpit and why I also figured it wouldn't take much time, I do not know. In any event I have a new rear bulkhead, modified OEM pilot seat, new side panels (I will add the detail parts in pieces rather than print an all-in-one), and v2 of an IP Shroud on the printer. Foam surgery is the slowest part for me, ..'to cut or not to cut. that is the question', but in the end (as always) it always seems like why did I even sweat it in the first place?

The plan is to build as much cockpit as I am able around the elevator control rods and possibly hide those rather than move the servo and linkages. I will move the rudder servo to behind the pilot seat bulkhead keeping the OEM control rod location and linkage. More when there is more.

Best to all, LB
          Incredible work on the cockpit. What pilot are you planning on using? If you're having trouble getting one large enough, I'll volunteer.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Aros, Zona fine tooth razor saws; one is narrow and the other is wide, both 52 tpi. I remove those from the handles, mark out an I.D. and O.D, then draw the cut lines. I use a scalpel to make the first cut through as close perfect as I am able, slip the narrow saw through and start the cut. Or sometimes I just close my eyes and saw away. Clean up is with the scalpel and 50 grit on a sanding block. I have yet to perfect a technique...
            You start out with this impeccable description of flawless technique and end with that statement? Isn't that like Tom Brady pontificating on his unparalleled career only to end with "I'm still hoping to end up with a good career when all is said and done" ? My friend sounds to me like you have perfected a technique! Brilliant.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Fortune favors the brave! :-) Well done sir!
              Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

You start out with this impeccable description of flawless technique and end with that statement? Isn't that like Tom Brady pontificating on his unparalleled career only to end with "I'm still hoping to end up with a good career when all is said and done" ? My friend sounds to me like you have perfected a technique! Brilliant.
                Aros, I didn't really mean for it to sound like I was an expert or something. That technique works for me, so far, and I am not as skilled at using it as I would like to be. That is what I meant to write. The technique is similar to how I used to carve balsa wingtips from blocks for my R/C planes. Get it close and then sand the 'Dickens' out of it until it was right. Best, LB
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                  ...What pilot are you planning on using?...
                  Hugh, I bought an "Aces of Iron" WW2 USAAF, like I modded for my Spitfire/Seafire and it's a decent scale, and I bought a 3DP printable WW2 Navy Pilot by Max Greuter over on cd trader. So, as much as I appreciate your offer, it's looking like your 3rd in line . However, after some deliberation I have realized that you have great flight experience with the Corsair and those other guys are basically 'airheads'. You're in, if you can show up in the proper uniform. Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hey Gang, Does anyone out there have a decent 3-view scale drawing of the Pilot Seat Mount? I have bunches of pictures of real and models, however, my idea/design is incomplete, it also looks clunky to me. I know there are a couple cross-members, but do those tie only to each other or also to the rear bulkhead? Any assist would be appreciated. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	310176
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Think so, I'll check..

Comment

• Yes. I have some reference drawings of the seat brace that will help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post
                          Yes. I have some reference drawings of the seat brace that will help.
                          Beeg, so can we negotiate? Best, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Here is how I weathered her a bit more. I added some chipping where the pilot would climb up on the flaps to get in the cockpit as well as some fading in the panel lines. I hope you enjoy it and get some ideas from the vid.

Comment

Aros, I didn't really mean for it to sound like I was an expert or something...
                              Exactly my point my friend. You don't have to mean for it to sound like you are an expert, you just are like it or not.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Exactly my point my friend. You don't have to mean for it to sound like you are an expert, you just are like it or not.
                                Aros, Hah! Let's just say, I have screwed stuff up enough to know 'what NOT to do' and leave it at that. Best, LB
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• On my Corsair I am using 20% expo on my elevator, just wondering if this is to much expo????

Comment

• That's what I use.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1080tommy View Post
                                      Here is how I weathered her a bit more. I added some chipping where the pilot would climb up on the flaps to get in the cockpit as well as some fading in the panel lines. I hope you enjoy it and get some ideas from the vid.

Nice work!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Tigerman View Post
                                        On my Corsair I am using 20% expo on my elevator, just wondering if this is to much expo????
                                        Well, how does it feel to YOU? That's what's important. 20% may be too much for some while it's too little for others. I've seen guys use 0% and some who use over 50%.

Comment

• Yep, expo is one of those subjective elements of the hobby for sure.
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X