Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official FlightLine F4U-1A Corsair 1600mm (63") Wingspan

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger that!!!!! If the cowl flaps work out, I will pay for your fuselage Tom!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Tom, I have not started my Corsair, but I dinked around with a 3DP design for a functional assembly. I didn't have the correct cowl radius so I used 8" just for giggles. And dimensional, it all basically a SWAG from pictures. If these ideas and STLs work, feel free to redesign or adjust to your liking. Once I start the model, I will continue with the design if you haven't already done it. I just couldn't get the idea out of head this morning. Also, if I am just way off the mark, let me know. Best, Steve

Flightline Corsair Cowling Flap Hinge Base.stl
      Flightline Corsair Cowling Flaps Assembly.stl
      LB

Just awesome work. I wish I had your skill for these details. If you make a complete extra set of cowl flaps ....I know someone that just might like to have it :)

Keep up the good work

All the best
      Rich

Comment

• Joined Hobbysquawk a few years ago but never been really active. Looking forward to being more active here! Here’s my Corsair
        Attached Files

Comment

• Steppin' outta the shadows! Love it! Great job on the Corsair!
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hey Elbee, you and I are famous. Go to the 12:45 mark in this video.

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by ncflyer79 View Post
              Joined Hobbysquawk a few years ago but never been really active. Looking forward to being more active here! Here’s my Corsair
              NCF, Welcome back, some more. Love your livery, like who wouldn't. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by I-fly-rc-aircraft View Post
                Hey Elbee, you and I are famous. Go to the 12:45 mark in this video.Tom
                IFRC, Yeah, I caught the 'shout out'...very cool. You are famous, but I showed the excerpt to 'she whose authority exceeds my rank' and was then asked to carry out the garbage. Celebrity is fleeting, my friend. Best, LB
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                  Steppin' outta the shadows! Love it! Great job on the Corsair!
                  Thanks!! I’m looking forward to being more active here

Comment

• So Gang, On the 1:1 version there are 15 total cowl flaps, 8 larger, 7 smaller with the cowling attached at the top dead center roughly 3 spans of the larger flap and a smaller flap at bottom dead center. Also, what would become the transition from the fuselage top to the firewall is radius-ed similarly to the cowl front. Am I seeing this in my references correctly? Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• LB, my guess would be that the cowl was built to fit the R2800 Radial. Thus it be a circle. A true circle? perhaps not. The cowl flaps directly forward of the cockpit were welded closed so should have the same radius.
                      Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                        So Gang, On the 1:1 version there are 15 total cowl flaps, 8 larger, 7 smaller with the cowling attached at the top dead center roughly 3 spans of the larger flap and a smaller flap at bottom dead center. Also, what would become the transition from the fuselage top to the firewall is radius-ed similarly to the cowl front. Am I seeing this in my references correctly? Best, LB
                        If I understand you correctly. Yes.

Comment

• Elbee
                          Elbee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Beeg.

• hi just thinking out aloud again..the grass i fly my f4u 1600 off is longer than i would like... question being woul a larger diametre wheel help with ground handling ,, over the bumps better,, it looks like a small increase would fit in the wheel well.. u guys have talked of dave brown a good amount .. also the euro motian rc guy, stewart i think ,, cut the springs a little on the f 35 for improved ground handling anything in that ?? lastly i watched the latest motian stream,, cool to c the paint process ... im an auto painter;; forget home depo, i think thats a hardware store . find a local auto paint store ,, the colors will be way closer with there electronic eye match process happy flying

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                          hi just thinking out aloud again..the grass i fly my f4u 1600 off is longer than i would like... question being woul a larger diametre wheel help with ground handling ,, over the bumps better,, it looks like a small increase would fit in the wheel well.. u guys have talked of dave brown a good amount .. also the euro motian rc guy, stewart i think ,, cut the springs a little on the f 35 for improved ground handling anything in that ?? lastly i watched the latest motian stream,, cool to c the paint process ... im an auto painter;; forget home depo, i think thats a hardware store . find a local auto paint store ,, the colors will be way closer with there electronic eye match process happy flying
                          FA, Many of the Corsair owners have added larger (3-3/4 inch) diameter wheels by Robart. I have not yet built mine, but I did buy the larger wheels. Anytime you can add diameter without too much added weight, your grass-field ops should improve. Best, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

hi just thinking out aloud again..the grass i fly my f4u 1600 off is longer than i would like... question being woul a larger diametre wheel help with ground handling ,, over the bumps better,, it looks like a small increase would fit in the wheel well.. u guys have talked of dave brown a good amount .. also the euro motian rc guy, stewart i think ,, cut the springs a little on the f 35 for improved ground handling anything in that ?? lastly i watched the latest motian stream,, cool to c the paint process ... im an auto painter;; forget home depo, i think thats a hardware store . find a local auto paint store ,, the colors will be way closer with there electronic eye match process happy flying
                            I fly my F4U 1600mm off of grass as well, although our field is cut fairly short. Question is how long is longer than you would like. In the summer when our grass grows the most, I've flown it the day before it is mowed and still not much of a problem. I use the 3 1/2 inch Robart treaded (or diamond) and it works just fine. The 3 3/4 size Elbee mentions is better and closer to the correct scale size, but you may have to do a little "trimming" in the wheel well to get it to fit smoothly.
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• It is a football field and yes is it much better when the grass is mowed. I'm happy to trim minimal. Thanks for your input, are the robarts expensive?

Comment

• is there a part no 4 the 3 3/4 robarts thanx again

Comment

is there a part no 4 the 3 3/4 robarts thanx again
                                  Robart 3.50" Straight tread #116
                                  Robart 3.75" Straight tread #117

Robart 3.50" Diamond tread #135
                                  Robart 3.75" Diamond tread #136

Here's the post of the way I modded mine to accept the 3.75" wheels. I've since changed the #136 wheels to straight tread #117's as the diamond tread set had a warped tire that wouldn't fit properly on the hub. If you go with the 3.5" it's a lot less trouble.

Post number 934:
                                  https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...026#post175026

Comment

• must say the big wheels look cool.. mods like this r easy compared to a ground up build,,,, / not to take away from ya work beeg awsome stuff .. u guys r the best thanx 4 the great info.. will do that /// still wana birdgage... i was torn

Comment

• So, been working on the cowl flaps. Printed the ring with a channel for music wire to open and close them. pic shows my design.Tom

Click image for larger version

Name:	cowlringB.png
Views:	619
Size:	463.6 KB
ID:	235819

Comment

• Originally posted by I-fly-rc-aircraft View Post
                                        So, been working on the cowl flaps. Printed the ring with a channel for music wire to open and close them. pic shows my design.Tom
                                        Tom, I'm liking it. So the design you have in mind will use a cable and attach to the flaps per the original? Best, Steve
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                        X