X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LX B-25 Rebuild - Miss Mitchell

Over the last few months or so. I’ve been working on a complete rebuild of the LX 2M B-25. I got this from a friend about a year ago, and it was in pretty sorry shape. Paint was flaking off, guns broken, stripped servos, and surfaces damaged.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC92573F-1F4B-45A4-AB3B-B781A8ACB7C9.jpeg
Views:	1319
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	191239

I’ve since cut off the chin gun pods, filled in the surface damage and panel lines, and smoothed the surface out with some high build primer.

The aircraft I wanted to replicate is Miss Mitchell of the MN CAF. I worked on this bird for a number of years when I was in high school back in MN. One of main things I wanted to replicate on this bird, was the beautiful aluminum finish:

Name:	7B2B0CD5-902F-4F69-B413-BBCBBEB570E5.jpeg
Views:	1159
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	191240

To get the beautiful aluminum finish of the full scale machine, I decided to use aluminum tape to cover the surfaces, based on this incredible build over on the FT forums: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.ph...zorback.55044/. Using the same aluminum tape, I covered the Left wing, and the result was impressive. I have continued covering the aircraft this way, one panel at a time.

Comment

The next major improvement was the electronics. While everything is apart, I made the decision to switch the stock power system and elevator servos out for something a bit more robust. I had a leftover power system from my FMS F7F Tigercat, so I swapped it over to the Mitchell, and changed out the tail servos to HS-85MGs. Finally, to power the ridiculous number of onboard servos, I added a Castle pro BEC to power everything. Also added some detail to the tail gunners area. More photos tonight as pieces come together. I’m hoping to have it airworthy for Warbirds Over JSC this Saturday.

Comment

Wow! Thats going to be impressive.
        Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

Very nice Delta! Even Doolittle would be impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by vdanger View Post
            Wow! Thats going to be impressive.
            Thanks, I hope it turns out looking decent. Been working away on it after work today a bit more. It’s slowly coming together!

Comment

One more photo indoors with a bit better lighting

Comment

More progress; top and sides of the fuselage are covered, still need to finish the bottom. Then it’s on to the nacelles and center wing section!

Comment

Still more progress. It is going slower than I predicted, so it won’t be ready for this weekend. Still probably 4-5 more days of effort to go.

Comment

Nose Art is on! Getting closer..

Comment

Name:	64A8DCB2-361D-4AC6-9065-FE09D9C284A0.jpeg
Views:	1114
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	192254

looking good, may consider the same technique with a P-38...
                      Ver. 2.0
                      ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

Name:	64A8DCB2-361D-4AC6-9065-FE09D9C284A0.jpeg
Views:	1114
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	192254

looking good, may consider the same technique with a P-38...
                        Ver. 2.0
                        Very cool! Is that the Guillows P-38 kit?

Comment

Yup! She flew...briefly.

Comment

Update: Fuselage is finished and graphics applied! Still have to finish the bottom of the nacelles and right outer wing panel.

Name:	4FADC6B5-75CF-4507-B80A-E882C1E2ED30.jpeg
Views:	1121
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	195659

Comment

Great job Micheal that is so beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by farmflyer View Post
                                Great job Micheal that is so beautiful.
                                Thanks Dennis! Hoping to get her finished up soon!

Comment

Like the nose art DD.............the Navy did a slight variation of that on one of the PBJ's.
                                  Mine has that variation which I posted on the RCG thread to you, don't know if ya noticed it.
                                  I originally thought that I had lost it in the incinerator but several months latter I found/remembered it was stowed away in the 7x12 trailer and not the garage/toyhauler.
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	PBJ-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.7 KB ID:	195709Click image for larger version  Name:	PBJa.JPG Views:	0 Size:	257.1 KB ID:	195710
                                  Warbird Charlie
                                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                    Like the nose art DD.............the Navy did a slight variation of that on one of the PBJ's.
                                    Mine has that variation which I posted on the RCG thread to you, don't know if ya noticed it.
                                    I originally thought that I had lost it in the incinerator but several months latter I found/remembered it was stowed away in the 7x12 trailer and not the garage/toyhauler.
                                    Looks beautiful WC! Glad it was tucked away safely in the trailer!

Comment

Beautiful job! I somehow missed this thread until today...That really looks great with the aluminum tape. I can only imagine how laborious the process must be but the final result is definitely worth it.

I had a couple of these LX B-25's...Sure hope FlightLine comes out with a 2000mm B-25 one day. Look forward to the final photos and maiden!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                        Beautiful job! I somehow missed this thread until today...That really looks great with the aluminum tape. I can only imagine how laborious the process must be but the final result is definitely worth it.

I had a couple of these LX B-25's...Sure hope FlightLine comes out with a 2000mm B-25 one day. Look forward to the final photos and maiden!
                                        Thanks Aros! Any advice from your experiences with the B-25s? Hoping to avoid any surprises on the maiden.

Comment

Working...
                                        X