Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey F106DD, How have you liked this model? Have the retracts held up to grass (if you are flying off of grass of course)? Any negative things come to mind to watch out for?
    Planes
    -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
    -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
      Hey F106DD, How have you liked this model? Have the retracts held up to grass (if you are flying off of grass of course)? Any negative things come to mind to watch out for?
      I've liked the model so far. It is very well behaved in the air, and the FMS Tigercat power system gives it plenty of power and endurance on a 6S 5800. I have not flown it off of grass so far, but it should be fine. I did a few of Rich's (RCinformer) build mods including pushrod reinforcement, that I would highly recommend. Would also recommend ditching the stock BEC for a Castle Pro BEC. One of the issues that will need to be addressed on mine is the main gear retract mounts. They are getting more loose with each flight. I will likely need to do some surgery on the airframe to get these re-secured before any more flying.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

I've liked the model so far. It is very well behaved in the air, and the FMS Tigercat power system gives it plenty of power and endurance on a 6S 5800. I have not flown it off of grass so far, but it should be fine. I did a few of Rich's (RCinformer) build mods including pushrod reinforcement, that I would highly recommend. Would also recommend ditching the stock BEC for a Castle Pro BEC. One of the issues that will need to be addressed on mine is the main gear retract mounts. They are getting more loose with each flight. I will likely need to do some surgery on the airframe to get these re-secured before any more flying.
        The expandable white Gorilla glue may be very helpful. I've used it one on landing gear mount that came loose but could not remove it from the air frame.

How hard do you think it will be to re-secure them? With the new models having the Hobbywing ESC, really just need the motor at that point.

Off the top of your head, which of Rich's mods did you do? I'm curious about the nose landing gear support where he used metal tie wraps. Thought it may be easier to place the RX on the underside of the bomb bay and gyro (if need one) under the top turret. I would try to clean out the rat nets of wire
        Planes
        -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
        -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

DD......I'd like a pic or descript of how deeply you modded the batt tray area. I can just barely get a Admiral 4500 6S in there and that's after carving down the foam base about a 1/4 inch which leaves hardly any support below.
          I would like to use my 5000 3S series setup but can't at present cause the hatch won't close.
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

DD......I'd like a pic or descript of how deeply you modded the batt tray area. I can just barely get a Admiral 4500 6S in there and that's after carving down the foam base about a 1/4 inch which leaves hardly any support below.
            I would like to use my 5000 3S series setup but can't at present cause the hatch won't close.
            OV10, I carved the floor away completely where the battery sits. The battery is actually supported by the nose gear door servo mounting bracket in the front, and the the support strut swivel mount in the rear. Hopefully this photo shows what I mean a bit better.

thisguy, I can’t remember the complete list of what all mods I did off the last year, but the ones that come to mind are changing the BEC to a Castle pro unit, reinforcing the pushrods, and using his procedure for setting up the brakes. My B-25 also does not have the support brace installed for the nose gear. The previous owner removed it, and Rich’s mods make it non structural anyways. My wiring is definitely a rats nest right now, I have everything it the top turret. Putting it in the bomb bay would work fine, but flipping this monster over is no easy task if you need rx access later.

Comment

Also, I put in around 5 flights on the B-25 this weekend at BEST in New Waverly. It still surprises me how well behaved it is in the air. Has to be one of the easiest airplanes to land that I’ve ever owned. Even got to do some formation flying with an Eflite 1100mm P-51 that was a ton of fun (no pics of that flight though). Lee Ray shot some great photos of the Mitchell in the air over the event.

Comment

I just love those shots! And I remember when I had mine I agree, landings were so stinking easy. Never any stress at all.
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Flew the B-25 this afternoon and one of my buddies got some awesome shots of it in the air. Unfortunately, the nose gear collapsed on landing and threw the canopy through the prop, which instantly shredded it. It’s going to need some substantial work before it flies again.

Comment

F106DD, Very sorry to read that. Are there parts available or do you start from scratch? Best, LB
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                      F106DD, Very sorry to read that. Are there parts available or do you start from scratch? Best, LB
                      Luckily the canopy and the nose gear door were in stock, so I put in an order. The nose gear mount is going to be a bit more involved though.

Comment

Nooooo!! Sorry to hear that man, she's such a looker but glad it's repairable.
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

A few photos from flying this evening

Comment

Yeah baby!

Comment

Ggggorgeous! Are you running on 4s or 5s?
                              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                Ggggorgeous! Are you running on 4s or 5s?
                                Thanks Alpha and F22! I am running the 6S power system out of the FMS Tigercat. No power shortage at all with this setup, and flies for over 10 minutes flown scale.

Comment

Thanks Alpha and F22! I am running the 6S power system out of the FMS Tigercat. No power shortage at all with this setup, and flies for over 10 minutes flown scale.
                                  As am I on my PBJ which is heads above the stock motor pushed on 5S, gotta get busy trying to prep the battery area for the new 3S 5000 serial configurations that I've gone to fleet wide.
                                  Warbird Charlie
                                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

A few photos from flying this evening
                                    F106, Words escape me, though realistic and fantastic finish come to mind. She's a beautiful thing. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Just, love, love, LOVE seeing that gorgeous bird!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

A few more flight photos from this weekend

Comment

Man what I would give if FlightLine released a giant scale B-25 with that aluminum skin...Great shots!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X