Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Black Horse Fairchild Model 24 Argus 2357mm ARF Discussion Thread

Product page: https://www.motionrc.com/products/bl...gus-2357mm-arf

This is the Official Black Horse Fairchild Model 24 Argus 2357mm Discussion Thread. Feel free to post your photos, videos, build tips and tricks and all comments related to this model in this thread.

Product available for purchase at Motion RC: https://www.motionrc.com/products/bl...gus-2357mm-arf

The Fairchild Model 24, also known as the Fairchild 24 Argus, is a four-seat, single-engine monoplane designed as a light transport aircraft in the 1930s. It was used by the United States Army Air Corps as and by the Royal Air Force. It was developed from previous Fairchild models and became a successful civil and military utility aircraft.

Designed for operations from relatively unimproved grass airfields, the sturdy undercarriage construction used a vertical oil dampened cylinder above the wheel with a pivoting strut attached to the lower fuselage. The result was a complex but robust undercarriage that could absorb the large loads imposed by rough field operations and could be adapted for the fitting of twin floats for water-based operations.

The model is scaled to approximately 1:4.7 and attention was paid to a true to original appearance and best flight characteristics. The model can be operated using an electric power system or with an internal combustion engine about 30-35cc displacement.

Features:
    • High level of prefabrication right out of the box
    • Lightweight, strong, and fully sheeted laser cut balsa and plywood construction
    • Covered in high quality Oracover
    • Heavy-duty hinge-point hinges on all control surfaces
    • Large easy access fuel tank/battery/servo access hatches with sprung loaded latches
    • Painted and detailed dummy radial engine, cockpit and interior included
    • Fiberglass control horns with ball link connector
    • Pull-Pull control system on the rudder for precision control and authority
    • comprehensive control and fitting accessories included
    • Two-piece, plug-in wings simplify transportation and assembly.
    • Fiberglass cowl and landing gear covers/pants
    • Mounts for both electric and gas power options included
    • Fully illustrated instruction manual included and also available for download (see tab above)
    Includes:
    • Black Horse Fairchild Model 24 Argus 2357mm (92.79") Wingspan - ARF
    Requires (Electric):Requires (Gas):
    • Engine: 30 - 35cc 2-stroke, NGH GT35 recommended or 38-42cc 4-stroke, NGH GT38 recommended
    • Gas Propeller: 18x10-20x8
    Click image for larger version  Name:	james1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	181.9 KB ID:	194490
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

James and the guys captured footage of our Black Horse Fairchild 24W on electric power, but for those contemplating a gas setup instead, I found this video on YouTube. Judging from the performance my guess is it's an NGH GF30 or GT35 or similar. I don't know why the pilot didn't land with flaps, but to be clear the model does have them.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Such a beauty! This will be my first Black Horse model for sure. Electric of course...And flaps on landing! LOL
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

What a beauty. I have an NGH 38cc four banger waiting for a home. This may be it. Wonder if it will ever be available in lighter colors? Black tends to wrinkle in the hot sun. If it were available uncovered I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Comment

Hi Tailslide, the 38cc would fly this bird wonderfully! Currently we don't have any plans for a different color scheme since it's Black Horse's most recent release. An uncovered bird might, might be an option as a special order with a long waiting time, but you're best contacting our tech support guys at 224-633-9090.

Comment

Have to say guys, this Fairchild is truly a beauty. It was awesome getting a chance to fly it at Joe Nall and I look forward to more flights on her. From my perspective she stood out like a beautiful sore thumb on the electric line at Triple Tree as the electric line doesn't see too many models like this as they are usually up at the main line with the other 80"+ wingspans.

Comment

Good looking rendition of a classic there James. What motor are you running in her?

Comment

Why did the motor quit in the video that was shown?

Comment

I just got mine last week. Nice looking model and very good hardware package. I'm going with a Valleyview 40 cc twin, looks to fit just fine after I moved the lower cowl mounts.

Comment

I’m not able to get all 3 holes to align on the main landing gear legs and the shock struts where the wheel axle bolt passes thru. What is the function/purpose of the small screws? When the wheel axle nuts are tightened the parts are all
                    held in place ...do I really need the small screws holding the gear leg and shock strut together?

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                      Good looking rendition of a classic there James. What motor are you running in her?
                      Sorry for the delay in these responses guys. Just had her flying at NEFI this weekend and what a beauty. Twowing, I am using an early sample I was sent of our new Admiral GP26 6330-245kV Brushless Motor that will be arriving to the warehouse very soon. Plenty of power for this beauty

Comment

Originally posted by hellcat716 View Post
                        Why did the motor quit in the video that was shown?
                        Hey Hellcat, when we set it up initially the air brake on the ESC was on. So as we were flying we believe the heat of the prop abruptly stopping caused that error. When we deadsticked her safely we quickly changed that and she's been fine since.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerodale View Post
                          I’m not able to get all 3 holes to align on the main landing gear legs and the shock struts where the wheel axle bolt passes thru. What is the function/purpose of the small screws? When the wheel axle nuts are tightened the parts are all
                          held in place ...do I really need the small screws holding the gear leg and shock strut together?
                          I, too, have noted that those screws didn't line up. I went ahead with one screw, and still had to use my drill to ream out the axel hole a little. Once you drop the wheel pant in place, things get really tight. To use all of the washers and spacers to mount the wheel and axel to the landing gear, I don't have enough threads to put a nut on. I am going down to the local hardware store to try and find a 5 x 55 bolt. If not, then maybe start using shims instead of washers on the axel. I also had to ream out the top brace, above the oleo mount, to get it to slip in and then trianglulate everything together. Somebody should have done a little better on the cad-machine before production for tolerances. Still, it is coming along and can become a challenge at times.

Comment

Originally posted by althepal88 View Post

I, too, have noted that those screws didn't line up. I went ahead with one screw, and still had to use my drill to ream out the axel hole a little. Once you drop the wheel pant in place, things get really tight. To use all of the washers and spacers to mount the wheel and axel to the landing gear, I don't have enough threads to put a nut on. I am going down to the local hardware store to try and find a 5 x 55 bolt. If not, then maybe start using shims instead of washers on the axel. I also had to ream out the top brace, above the oleo mount, to get it to slip in and then trianglulate everything together. Somebody should have done a little better on the cad-machine before production for tolerances. Still, it is coming along and can become a challenge at times.
                            Would one of you please post of photo of this? I'll forward it to the factory for their response and a change to the future production line. Thank you!

Comment

Hard to get good picture of the misalignment of the holes but here is what I was able to get

Comment

Originally posted by Aerodale View Post
                                Hey, Aerodale, I thought the same thing and just today I noticed that I had the left lower landing gear on the wrong side. I took it all apart and double checked my right and left (lol) and then put it together like it is supposed to be and Shazamm, everything lined up perfectly. I thought the tolerances were off, but I was totally wrong. Look at it this way, we are the guinea pigs on this airplane. Not a lot of written text in the manual. To answer your question; if all three holes align it is the proper right vs. left gear; the small screws keep everything together in case you axel comes loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post

Would one of you please post of photo of this? I'll forward it to the factory for their response and a change to the future production line. Thank you!
                                  Not needed. Again, MY bad, Alpha. The manual won't change, but maybe a build thread on HobbySquak or RCU/RCGroups, like what we have going would help.

Comment

Would sure love to convert this to the R model. Long nose with the ranger engine

Denis

Comment

Hey, Knucklebutt! How is it going? I have the Fleet ready to fly and will be bringing it to the OEAF Fall Fly-In. I am about to finish up my Argus 24 and I hope to bring it, too. We were considering making a cowl for the Ranger version, but I will have to buy another Fairchild because I already have the 40 cc twin Valleyview engine in her (came from my SuperCub after an off-field landing). This bird would handle a 20 to 35 cc single with no problem, but when I held up a 30 cc NGH 4 stroker, it was going to take a considerable amount of cowl cutting (for the radial cowl), but a rear exhaust DLE single should fit nicely.

Comment

Well, my 24 is finally ready for her maiden flight, which will be Wed morning. My changes were to mount a VVRC 40cc twin with a polished T-6 style spinner/hub; move the cowl mounts to accommodate the spark plug wires and cylinders; detail the faux radial; add Dubro 4 1/5 inflatable tires (stock wheels were too hard I believe), painted the grey cliveses and horns to matching red; still had to add 16 oz to the front area to get close to CG. Flight report to follow.

Comment

Working...
                                        X