X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by althepal88 View Post

... maybe a build thread on HobbySquawk or RCU/RCGroups, like what we have going would help.
    Hey, guys, I just finished up this model and I have a build thread on RC Groups-- check it out here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Saito-180-glow

I really like this kit. One of the more pleasurable ARFs I have put together to date. Can't wait to fly it now!

Don.

Comment

So awesome dgliderguy ! Welcome to hobbysquawk. I enjoy my Fairchild for sure. When is the maiden? and will you be doing any extra customizations to it? I have been thinking about trying to beautify the cockpit with seats/pilots etc.

Comment

Speaking of "beautifying" the cockpit - where would you go to find little detail pieces like door handles, seat belts, sticks, etc? I'm thinking the same thing since there is so much real estate to work in, and there is good access with the front hatch and side doors. I've downloaded several images from the internet - and I already have some white faux leather on hand!

Comment

Originally posted by USMA-82 View Post
          Speaking of "beautifying" the cockpit - where would you go to find little detail pieces like door handles, seat belts, sticks, etc? I'm thinking the same thing since there is so much real estate to work in, and there is good access with the front hatch and side doors. I've downloaded several images from the internet - and I already have some white faux leather on hand!

I would go nowhere else but Callie Graphics https://callie-graphics.com/

She will customize just about anything if you provide her reference pics and measurements.

Comment

I don't plan on doing any dress-up of the interior, since it is not all that visible without close-up scrutiny. I do, however, plan to get Callie to make me some registration numbers for it. I didn't much care for the semi-translucent, italicized decals that came with the kit. And the pictures show them incorrectly applied, with numbers on the fuselage sides AND the rudder, and the wing decals on the wrong side. I was relieved to find that they were not pre-applied.

By the way, I tossed the seats in my scrap bin. The floor is too high in the cabin for them. They didn't look right all perched way up high, and they seem too small for the scaling anyway, so I didn't bother to mount them. Look at an interior shot of a full-size Fairchild and you will see what I mean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00080228.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	226966

Comment

In final stages of building the Fairchild and I find the wings do not make a good contact between the fuselage and the wing root. It appears that the black support rods that attach to the fuselage are thicker that the cut out that have been allowed for. Before I start with some creative carving is it with worrying about and is it normal? I do notice that it may need to have a slight tweak made to the angle so as to creat a more intimate contact with the fuselage but it will not account for he difference completely.
              I know it is a dumb question but being relatively new to the spot and this being my second ARF I am proceeding cautiously.
              Thanks,
              Dave

Comment

Apologize for my post noted some gross spelling errors after I hit the post button, trust you got he gist of my question?

Comment

I had to do some carving on my wing root to allow space for the jury strut. Ya do what ya gotta do.

Comment

Thanks, will give it a go, I was also looking at the thickness of the tab and was contemplating a little creative sanding on my belt sander could also do the trick. Have been impressed with things so far.

Comment

Hi,
                      I am really interested in this beauty. One thing is really strange to me: The CG is marked as 54mm from leading edge of the wing. I would assume that the depth of the wing is 300mm or larger? So considering the famous 1/3 rule, I would end up at about 100mm. 😲 Is the shape of the wing so unusual that this really needed? You could safe a lot of extra weight in the front with this more reasonable position of the CG...

Thx for your input,
                      Jan

Comment

Jan,
                        When I set up the plane I used the C of G stuff that the manufacturer supplies with the plane and the C of G was dead on. I am running an RCGF 35cc rear exhaust and have placed my 2 Life batteries on either side go my gas tank as forward's as possible. After having a senior check out pilot maiden the aircraft aside from a couple of clicks of aileron trim the plane fly's extremely well.
                        Stalls are a non event and the plane does look impressive whether sitting on the ground or in the air. Everyone at the field who have seen the plane cannot stop commenting on the fit and finish, to bad a made a boo boo when CA,ing the screw holes which leaked through to wing covering, live and learn.
                        FYI I had to get slightly longer SS bolts for the wheels as I found the ones provided were a little short and I did use nylon nuts to secure them as suggested by others. When attaching the strut brackets to the wing forget the measurements they show in the manual as the holes are already drilled in the wing structure, I was just about to drill holes when a closer look made me stop.
                        You will not be disappointed in this plane.
                        Dave

Comment

thx for your quick answer Dave! Having a better look on the 1st picture in this thread (larger monitor), it seems that the wings do have a constriction towards the fuselage. I thought the leading edge was straight! Like this 54mm make sense.

one additional question: Do you think there is enough ground clearance for a 21" propeller? This would be needed for my planned 6S setup.

Jan

Comment

FYI, with a 19 x 8 prop, plane sitting on its mains and tail wheel I have just under 7" of clearance, unless you do one heck of a nose low landing clearance should not be an issue with a 21" prop
                            Dave

Comment

Thanks again very much! So it should work. Man, that does not make easier to resist pushing the "buy" button. Unfortunately the price is at least 20% higher here in Europe than in US. Furthermore I am not 100% sure if I should go for the Fairchild or for the Phoenix Stinson. The Fairchild looks a little bit more sporty perhaps. And I really love the undercarriage with all those fairings. After several different tries, Ia m looking for my ultimate "high wing plane" (or shoulder wing plane?) now! Sorry I am not a native speaker and do not know all of the english expressions...
                              Jan

Comment

Originally posted by juppzupp View Post
                                Furthermore I am not 100% sure if I should go for the Fairchild or for the Phoenix Stinson.
                                You can't go wrong with the Phoenix Stinson, either. I have both, and they both look and fly great! I think the Stinson is slightly faster and a little more aerobatic, but that's probably due to the amount of drag from the Fairfield's gear struts. I am flying both with a 1.60 motor and 12S power. Overall, the Stinson came out about $150 cheaper using the same motor, ESC and servos in each.

Comment

oh, that's surprising! Considering the wing and fuselage shape, I would have assumed the Fairchild is more sporty. How about the weight? Due to the infos I currently have from different forums, I would think the Fairchild should be ~2lbs lighter? Important for me, as I will go for 6S only (with ~100A so about 2,2kW power).

Jan

P.S.: I found a video of the original Fairchild: it would be great if the undercariage would at least work have as good (which I do not think):

This is flight footage of Kent Foster's Fairchild 24 as he talks about it and his love of Aviation.

Comment

Yes, the Fairchild is about 2 pounds lighter, and the fuselage is slightly shorter than the Stinson (although the wingspan is slightly greater!).

My only concern about going with a 6S system would be the need for additional weight in the nose to achieve CG. The nice things about 12S - no extra lead in the nose, longer flight times for the same power and smaller, more scale propeller. Yes, you spend more time re-charging and the expense is double for the batteries, but once you have a number of 6S planes, you tend to have quite a few 6S batteries.

I usually show up at the airfield with a metal ammo can filled with 15 Gens Ace 4000mAh 6S 60C batteries, plus one more. With that set-up, I can bring both the Phoenix Stinson and the Fairchild to the field and have four flights on each.

I call that a good day.....

Comment

Hi Guys, New to Squawk but have recently coming to the end of my build of Fairchild 24 Argus and was wondering if anybody has any photos of inside the cockpit, so I have some reference where to position Esc, Bec and Receiver and batterie packs. I'm new to the hobby and was hoping for some advice. Maybe Alpha can put me straight

Comment

Hi USMA
                                        yes I have some 6S Lipos - but not 15 like you. Even if, the charging is taking too much time in my limited slots for modelling. I never charge the Lipos the day before as it's too dangerous for me to keep them in the house like this. I will use 6S6200 Zippy compact with ~890g which I will push as far forward as possible and a Turnigy G160 with ~650g. Nevertheless you are right - it might be needed to add some lead. On the other hand I like the challenge to get large models in the air with only 6S. It works very well with my Graupner Starlet 2.400mm, with 6,8kg - it can go vertical nearly endlessly. @ ~90A.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by slinky-1 View Post
                                          Hi Guys, New to Squawk but have recently coming to the end of my build of Fairchild 24 Argus and was wondering if anybody has any photos of inside the cockpit, so I have some reference where to position Esc, Bec and Receiver and batterie packs. I'm new to the hobby and was hoping for some advice. Maybe Alpha can put me straight
                                          I cringed when you indicated that you are "new to the hobby" and looking for advice, especially on a giant scale airframe thread such as the Argus.
                                          I sincerely hope that you meant something like new to electric powered models and not as an unadulterated newb to flying.
                                          If you actually are a newb to flying, am pretty sure that Alpha WILL set you straight about learning to walk before trying to run.
                                          If you truly are a beginner to RC flying, this forum really is a great place to get all sorts of help and welcome to the Squawk.
                                          Best regards,
                                          Warbird Charlie
                                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                          X