Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi OV10,

Thanks for your post.

I've been flying for over a year RC planes with my club using my own high wing balsa electric plane to train but originally learn't on control line with nitro engine planes back in the 80's! So still I would say I was newbie. Showing my age though!! but have fallen back in love with RC.....
    I love building planes and I think when I saw James fly the Fairchild 24, I fell for it straight away. I'm at the electric stage of the build and was wondering, as there are two servos one for each aileron. I have an Admiral 8ch receiver, do i just plug the 2nd aileron into a free port and assign that to a free channel? All advice greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes to all

Comment

yes

Comment

Hi Guys
        Just unpacked my Argus, and of course I have a few questions.
        Just about to start gluing in hinges ( wings ) in the manual they say there are 6 short 44 mm and 18 long 67 mm total but if following the manual you need 12 short and 16 long
        Aileron 4 short x 2
        Flap 3 long x 2
        Horz Stab 6 long
        Rudder 4 long
        Door 2 short x 2
        I am presuming that not all hinges are needed in the wings
        Any help would be great and I'm sure there will be more questions as I progress
        Thanks

Comment

Still poking around and test fitting things, apart from the above post has anyone noticed that the hinges for the flaps ( 67 mm ) are too long and poke into the covering ????

Comment

Again a problem, the fitting that screws onto the flap is too big for the cut out, the one supplied is too big and has 2 mounting holes the one in the manual shows a smaller one with only 1 mounting hole. Has anyone else found this ?

Comment

Thor100, One of the first things I would do is replace all of the screws and bolts. Get a couple of 5mm x 55 bolts and locknuts for the landing gear. I painted the hinge covers, control hinges and most of the grey plactics red. Ahhh, those hinges. They are a mess, huh? You can't really go by the manual with those. Just cut the hinges to the proper length to fit without poking the monocoat. They will take a lot of epoxy (or whatever you use) to stay in place. My door hinges came already installed. Reinforce the wheel pants with either CA or epoxy and some fiberglass cloth. They will break, and they cost $85 bucks to replace. Stay tuned to this thread and go over each post.

Comment

Such a good looking model in the air, would love to chase a tandem one day.

Comment

I think they might have got it wrong in the manual as far as the hinges go, if you use the short hinges on the rudder and the long one's in the flaps and ailerons ( after cutting down one end for the flaps ) it all works out fine.

Comment

Here's my Fairchild

Just need the model club to open now to maiden it :(
                    must of been a Friday build - missing 2 of the strut attachment pins and the Rudder was bent - had to fix and recover
                    using Hanger 9 True RED covering HANU866 which matched

Powered by Eflite power 160 on 10s 5000mah
                    had to add 8 ounces of weight to get the CG right,

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1314.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.9 KB ID:	251565
                    Attached Files

Comment

If anyone has a spare set of wheel pants - maybe their Fairchild has had an early demise - please let me know. MRC only sells a detail parts "kit" that contains alot more than what I need. Thanks!

Comment

just finished my 24 and pleased overall. here are a few suggestions other than those listed in previous posts. the ball links that came with the kit are junk IMHO as the balls are very tight and caused servo hum so i replaced them with dubro 4-40 links. check the pre-drilled holes for ailerons and flaps as i noticed miss alignment on these surfaces. i installed a dle35ra and need to add 2 lbs to the nose to attain balance. i will be doing a engine run to set the carb needles soon and hopefully will do the maiden when weather clears. BTW i did add a 1/4 in. hole aft of the cowl to adjust carb with the cowl mounted.

Comment

Still enjoy flying the Fairchild - nice handling characteristics and a real attraction because you don't see this model too often. My only advice after many flights would be to beef up the attachment points for the main gear, and the mounting area for the tail wheel. Both have ripped out on less-than-perfect landings, and could really use a little more support.

Comment

Hi,
                            I am fitting a radial Saito gas 4 stroke, 33cc, model FG3R33. Engine fits very neat into cowl. But I have spent a lot of time working on central alignment which has been complex due to rather odd guidelines on firewall, and OS and DLE templates. Can anyone tell me why the factory marked firewall vertical and horizontal markings are misaligned to both the engine template markings?

So far as I decided to fit the engine first and have drawn on computer a paper template, that gives a centre of cowl prop location at 160mm from firewall when mounted on a 5mm Paxolin homemade mount. Has anyone fitted this engine?

Next I am interested to learn about c of g, as I would rather beef up front end than waste weight by just adding lead.

Many thanks

Comment

Also I am thinking of fitting a camera, has this been done? Any guidance appreciated.

regards, Gordon

Comment

I made up a removeable mount for a Runcam behind the Seats looking over the pilots shoulder on my fairchild , just a light ply box bolted to the cockpit floor which the suppled runcam mount Velcro's too. only a single bolt so it can be rotated.

heres a screen shot

Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-2020-12-18-08h31m47s707.png Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	290708

Comment

Originally posted by Terminater007 View Post
                                  I made up a removeable mount for a Runcam behind the Seats looking over the pilots shoulder on my fairchild , just a light ply box bolted to the cockpit floor which the suppled runcam mount Velcro's too. only a single bolt so it can be rotated.

heres a screen shot

Click image for larger version Name:	vlcsnap-2020-12-18-08h31m47s707.png Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	290708
                                  Looks good. But you will definitely want some kind of dampeners to minimize the shake/vibration. We mounted a go pro in the same spot a year ago but the Go Pro 7 has built in stabilization which you can see in this video.

Comment

Say fellows, I’m assembling the Fairchild 24W using a DLE 35RA for power and am wondering what ignition and Rx batteries have been used and best placement for a good CG. I’m planning on using an Aura 8 gyro and a Futaba R3008SB Rx mounted on the removable panel to which the seats are glued.

Comment

Originally posted by harleyhog1200 View Post
                                      Say fellows, I’m assembling the Fairchild 24W using a DLE 35RA for power and am wondering what ignition and Rx batteries have been used and best placement for a good CG. I’m planning on using an Aura 8 gyro and a Futaba R3008SB Rx mounted on the removable panel to which the seats are glued.
                                      Hey Harley. Impossible to answer. You will have to mount them and check the CG to know for sure. The beauty of these black horse models is the CG machines they come with. 2 wooden plates that mount between the wing and fuse and you can pick it up and check very easily.

Comment

Thanks, that’s exactly what I’m getting ready to do....ended up buying a couple 2S 2200 mAh 25c LiPo’s to power ignition & Rx.

Comment

Beautiful plane love mine Dle 35 Ra fits perfectly electric choke and electric start custom cowl grille worked out fantastic

Comment

Working...
                                          X