Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing some quick calculations, a plane like this P-38 spins props about 10 revs per second (~1/2 throttle). A typical frame rate of 30 for HD video would put an image of a couple of prop blades per frame. Add to that, changing throttle input and it's not going happen. NOT getting the sushi effect is very difficult unless you have a camera that can video at hundreds of frames per second - that's about the perception rate of the human eye. At 30 frames, the human eye can distinguish too many images in a second and that translates into a skewed blur (ie, sushi effect). You need a lot of blurring to be able to see through a prop without seeing the prop.

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback xviper2. I've done a little research myself on the subject. The "sushi effect" is otherwise known as the stroboscopic effect or wagon wheel effect where the the spokes or prop blades appear to be going backwards. Long story short if using a gopro hero 3 for instance set the resolution at 1080, Frame rate at 24 fps, field of view medium, spot meter on, protune off. With a slower frame rate, "just like in the movies", the prop blades are blurred slightly and you avoid the sushi but still get the sense of movement. If someone out there tries this on a model, I'd like to know if it works, Thanks Brad

Comment

• great memorial day flight yesterday, getting her dialed in

rc flyin addict

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post
          great memorial day flight yesterday, getting her dialed in

Nice use of nearly every inch of that fairly short runway.
          Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
          R. A. Heinlein

Comment

• tks, we added 35" this year so now roughly 90" of pavement or so. With grass on both sides it's enough to get the job done.
            rc flyin addict

Comment

• You mean feet? not inches right?
              Anyway, great flight and a nice field t fly from, she looked like she handles the grass pretty well.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks Grossman- yea feet, he he, got to get my glasses out when I type :o)) We have been working on the grass and the runway, the planned improvements help to seal the deal on getting the P-38. Just one more reason to get one, sure glad she flys so well, great plane and a thing of beauty for sure .

rc flyin addict

Comment

• Got to maiden my P-38 this morning. Pleasantly surprise great air-frame. Our Scale Fly in is tomorrow and I'm looking forward to putting it thru her paces.

Mike
                  \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post
                    Got to maiden my P-38 this morning. Pleasantly surprise great air-frame. Our Scale Fly in is tomorrow and I'm looking forward to putting it thru her paces.

Mike
                    Congrats Mike!
                    Lauren

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post
                      Got to maiden my P-38 this morning. Pleasantly surprise great air-frame. Our Scale Fly in is tomorrow and I'm looking forward to putting it thru her paces.

Mike
                      Woo Hoo!!! Glad to hear you got the maiden in this morning.
                      Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Nice Mike!
                        My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hi Guys. My maiden went OK, but I'm not happy with my nose gear mod. So, a question for all: Has anyone done a FW p51 nose gear mod using a 2 1/2 " wheel, and after a flight or two the gear door actually closes all the way? Thanks, Mike

Comment

• That's what I did and mine closes all the way. I have a build thread on it.
                            TiredIron Aviation
                            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Topic: Retract jamming and not deploying for landing. Possible explanation and fix.

Lately, I've been reading (not here) about people who have had one or more retracts jamming when in the UP position and then not coming down when getting ready to land. This necessitates a belly landing, which is accompanied by this and that being broken. Then a lot of yelling and screaming about what poor quality components are in this plane and running to the vendor for warranty replacement for the retract and everything that got broken in the process.
                              The following is one possible explanation for what's going on and what can be done to resolve it. It may or may not apply to your plane but it certainly did to mine and doing what's in the video, all retracts have worked every time.
                              When a retract jams up and won't come down, one way to get it down so you can work on it is to grab to tire/strut assembly, while bracing the retract body, and pulling up on the strut so unbend it a bit. Then push down on the strut near the retract base to help it go just a little bit further so the next deployment cycle can begin. Once up, the video should explain the rest. The same principle can apply to the front but it has one additional factor that needs to be addressed.
                              Failing this, you've got a defective or busted retract.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flygirl View Post

Congrats Mike!
                                Thanks she flies just awesome. I had 3 really hard core gas war bird flyers have a go at the P-38 yesterday and every one was impressed with it. For them to be impressed is really something since not one of them has a electric no less foam war-bird.

Mike
                                \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Really?? No one flies foamies or electric?

Nice job Vipe on the vid!!!!
                                  Lauren

Comment

• Thanks, Flygirl.
                                    You would be amazed at how staunch some "old fogies" can be at certain flying clubs. There are always a small crowd of them who show their complete disdain for anything "new fangled". Unless it makes horrific noises, belches out smoke and covers the model with slime, it is not consider a "real" RC plane. If the club is small and old, I can easily see how somebody showing up with an electric foamie would be ridiculed as a rebel. Up until only 2 years ago, one of my clubs had never even seen a foamie fly on their field. Then some newcomers showed up with foamies (me raising hand) and suddenly, some of those old farts started to boast about their shiny new electric machines. That's when they start fighting among themselves. :angel:

Comment

• Yep, had experience with some of those types. You should have seen the disdain on their faces when I brought a scale electric heli to a field of gas-only fixed wing balsa planes.. However, I think most of them are starting to get the idea that electric is where it is at. A year ago, someone brought a sport cub to the field and insisted that some of the older gentlemen fly it. There are now 15 sport Cubs owned by club members..

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                                        Thanks, Flygirl.
                                        You would be amazed at how staunch some "old fogies" can be at certain flying clubs. There are always a small crowd of them who show their complete disdain for anything "new fangled". Unless it makes horrific noises, belches out smoke and covers the model with slime, it is not consider a "real" RC plane. If the club is small and old, I can easily see how somebody showing up with an electric foamie would be ridiculed as a rebel. Up until only 2 years ago, one of my clubs had never even seen a foamie fly on their field. Then some newcomers showed up with foamies (me raising hand) and suddenly, some of those old farts started to boast about their shiny new electric machines. That's when they start fighting among themselves. :angel:
                                        ROFL!!!!!!!!!!! I can imagine that argument! ;)

Delta, you were REALLY out of your element! Heli AND electric! LOL!
                                        Lauren

Comment

• I bet it was the same way when the control line and free flight guys first saw a rc plane. I can hear it now "Son that ain't flying"

Comment

Working...
                                          X