Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey RR......I can be even blunter. ;)That's why I was :Not-Talking:in response to SLSS by what appears to be a form of the acceptable social media practices which is outside the unique world of the Squawk.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Poor, poor dead horse.

Comment

• I will go back to Mouth zipped as many times in the past. :Not-Talking::Straight-Face:
        AMA 424553

Comment

• Yeah I almost engaged drill sergeant mode... but that wouldn't be good for anyone.. hey RR Let me see your war face! Lol! :)

Comment

• :blueangry AGGGGGRRRRRHHH!!!!! :Drinks:

Comment

• And for Ryan's sanity :P back to our regularly scheduled Lightning thread topic ;):)
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Back to our regular P-38 reading.
                AMA 424553

Comment

• Thank you, thank you, and a huge THANK YOU!

Comment

• YES! Now, as we were, about those new connectors, looks like major mods unless you get whole new wing and center section kits... are there any chances of a full upgrade kit for these or is it a bite the bullet and buy a new plane? As I was saying an upgrade kit would have to include the entire wing coast to coast by what the pics say to me...

Comment

• I just bought a P-38 from Motion, will be here Monday. Going to use a single 4s 5000mah lipo

Comment

• I run an Admiral 4S-5000 batt in mine. Easily get 5 minutes of mixed throttle, usually landing with 3.8v/cell; So, could easily squeeze out a few more minutes, but I don't like to cut it too close.
                        ---
                        Warbirder

Comment

• That's what I was doing, then one of my batteries decided to blank out a cell... lost power instantly and stalled. That's why I'm going to run parallel batteries next time

Comment

• So I found something interesting in Ole-Timer's photos that he posted. I haven't seen anyone here add this detail into their planes and it actually took me some time to even find out what they were. Check it, I also included another photo I found.

See that highly polished oval? They were included on the inside of both engine nacelles (whether a natural metal or painted plane) and were used as rudimentary mirrors so the pilot could confirm the landing gear were extended. I've never seen these mentioned before, but it's such a cool feature.

Also, since we're talking about obscure P-38 features, I'm confused about one more part. Looking at pictures of WWII P-38s it seems a random crapshoot whether that plane will have the perspex blister with mirror inside on top of the canopy. Does anyone know if this was a specific theater, model, or availability thing?

Comment

• Rear view mirrors were pretty much a necessity in any combat theater to check your six. As to availability and every plane leaving the factory with one I have no idea. It’s an easy field mod one way or the other. Once things wound down I can see them being removed. I did add the polished nacelle rounds to my Lightning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	004165CC-DEAA-4EA1-8C55-69CAE2A67B7B.jpeg
Views:	422
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	118867Click image for larger version

Name:	CE845035-2891-4C4E-912E-DDA8FB33F013.jpeg
Views:	422
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	118866Click image for larger version

Name:	9054A791-5925-427B-9936-50790A176E7C.jpeg
Views:	456
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	118864Click image for larger version

Name:	1203F078-5EE2-44F1-A140-76FBFDBB4186.jpeg
Views:	463
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	118865

Comment

• That is a cool scale add-in

Comment

• The polished areas were to let the pilot know that the nose gear was down and locked. :Cool:
                                  AMA 424553

Comment

• Yes indeed!

Comment

• I’ve read several places the polished areas were to see the mains but that’s just not so. They were indeed to see the nose strut and tire.
                                      P-38’s had no nose wheel steering, that is accomplished with propeller thrust and braking left or right. The polished area verified the nose strut was up or down and positioning of the tire for landing and taxi.

Comment

• It took me a second to realize that the planes from the first and second pictures are not the same model. I was about to ask how you accomplished such an impressive cockpit.

Comment

• The pictures of the rear view mirrors are just images available online...
                                          Once upon a time I twittered away hours detailing models. I no longer have time for it, just too many other things to do.
                                          These days it’s more about functionality and reasonable visible detail as it cruises by at 50-100mph.

Comment

Working...
                                          X