Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I use 3M Aluminum Foil Tape #97065. Very thin stuff. I've also used #427; it's thicker and good for high traffic areas (hand holds, leading edges, etc). If they get crinkled I just run a medium 3M Scotch Brite Pad #7447 over the aluminum again to straighten out the grain and restores its luster.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I picked up some Ayr-Foil Aluminum Adhesive tape. Its 2 mil in thickness and sticks like a dream. 2"x150' for $15.00 in Canada. Got two rolls of course. Too bad that its not a little wider, but hey, if it works and ultracote doesn't (I'm concerned about heating it against the foam) well, what does a guy do?

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• awesome..I know what my next project is! hmmm..do I wanna redo the P-51 I just got from you guys oorrrr....
        www.TSHobbies.com
        Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Go slowly and plan out your panels. As you go, mask and scrub each panel in an opposing direction from the adjacent panels. The end result will be a faceted finish, which glistens in the sun depending on the angle. This is an especially neat effect in low sun. The aluminum can be polished brightly with Mothers polish, or it can be dulled down with varying degrees of rubbing with the aforementioned Scotch Brite pad.

Comment

• I love the look of aluminum on models but as in the case of my Freewing F-86, as the wings and stabs flex under G loads, the foil creases in multiple locations along those surfaces.

Alpha, are you seeing any creasing on the aluminum applied to your P-38 wings?

Comment

• Looks great! Starting to make me doubt my my choice in color scheme.. I am hoping to use the aluminum tape on my future Wowplanes B-29. Should look pretty impressive on an 85" span bomber.

Comment

• since technically the P-51s had BMF on the fuselage and metallic painted wings, I could probably get away with just doing the fuselage on it ..might use that as test to see how I do .
                www.TSHobbies.com
                Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                  Go slowly and plan out your panels. As you go, mask and scrub each panel in an opposing direction from the adjacent panels. The end result will be a faceted finish, which glistens in the sun depending on the angle. This is an especially neat effect in low sun. The aluminum can be polished brightly with Mothers polish, or it can be dulled down with varying degrees of rubbing with the aforementioned Scotch Brite pad.
                  wow, that looks beautiful Alpha, 2nd guessing here now too, oh well. Does it pick up the foam texture and or excessive hanger rash over time, can you get rid of it ?
                  rc flyin addict

Comment

• Originally posted by xplaneguy View Post
                    I love the look of aluminum on models but as in the case of my Freewing F-86, as the wings and stabs flex under G loads, the foil creases in multiple locations along those surfaces.

Alpha, are you seeing any creasing on the aluminum applied to your P-38 wings?

Good question, Xplaneguy. I used to see creasing when I used long strips lengthwise from root to tip. Anything longer than 8 inches or so would buckle the tape on the wing. In fact, I use the tape on prototypes to gauge the amount of flex to ensure it is within a normal degree.

To avoid creasing, the secret is to use the panel technique I described yesterday. In areas along the wing where flex will occur (depending on the wing design), I use panels no larger than 2"-3" long, then I leave a 1mm gap as a seam line before I lay down the adjacent panel. This gap allows the foam to flex without creasing the aluminum. Think of it this way: Street sidewalks use concrete panels every few feet, because a single block-long piece would be prone to cracking. Ground settling, underground tree roots, and other forces are acting upon those panels, and a single piece would crack whereas a multi-block arrangement allows those forces to be somewhat mitigated. The same it is with these aluminum tape panels. On a foam plane, it is unavoidable that the wing will flex somewhat on certain models. In fact the flex is what gives our foamies a comparatively more supple ride compared to their more rigid balsa/composite counterparts.

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post

wow, that looks beautiful Alpha, 2nd guessing here now too, oh well. Does it pick up the foam texture and or excessive hanger rash over time, can you get rid of it ?

Thanks, Mr.frankenjet. I don't like choosing between my two children but I still prefer the OD Green. Something about it that looks more "brutal", and ready for business, than the silver surfer.

The aluminum can be rescuffed with Scotch Brite to hide minor dings here and there. It's difficult to explain but the foam texture can or cannot show through. It just depends on the cell surface and the thickness of tape being used. I used the very thin stuff, so it's not at all a surface barrier. It's just for that metal sheen. A Scotch Brite pad is important to scuff up the aluminum surface because the pad is very rigid, and keeps the surface level. Using, for example, something like 0000 steel wool will actually fill in the cells and scuff the peaks and valleys at different rates, which actually accentuates the cells --not good.

As with many things, practice first. Scotch Brite in one direction with gentle pressure is best for foam. Circular motions, with Scotch Brite pads or sand paper or steel wool, is not recommended. Straight motions only.

Comment

• Just a quick question re battery set up. This is the only pic I've seen, I assume it's the y leaded option for 1x 4s 5000. I understand the plane comes with two seperate power systems, two battery leads etc for using 2x 4s 2500-3000's. Does anyone have a pic? Would two 4s 3300's fit? Just trying to save buying new batteries, I have over 60 lipos as nearly everything I have runs on different batts, my closest is either 2x 4s 2650's (but I'd prefer not to use these as they are from a 3D plane and had a hard life), and then 4s 3300s which are fairly new. Thanks guys.

Comment

• Both the Build Video and the Overview Video show the battery bay. My post from last week or so in this thread shows how to solder up and adapter, and there's another picture of the battery as well.

I use two Admiral 3000s, and there a few mm of space top and side. Compare the dimensions (in the Specifications tab on the product page on motionrc.com) with your batteries.

Flight demo and feature overview of the FlightLineRC 1600mm P-38L Lightning. FlightLineRC’s P-38 represents the pinnacle of engineering for a foam electric P...

This is the complete and comprehensive assembly and build guide for the FlightLineRC 1600mm P-38L Lightning. For more information including detailed specifi...

Comment

• Thanks alpha. :)

Somehow, I missed seeing the first vid. Appreciate the info. Nice job on the vids too.

Comment

• The containers are en route to the warehouse. There currently aren't any projected delays to the 'Mid-March' estimate. You all will be having Christmas in March very shortly.

:D
                              My YouTube RC videos:
                              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Okay I bought my Robart diamond tread 2.75" for the mains, and 2.5" for the nose...I cannot wait to get my hands on my Allied Green!
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                  The containers are en route to the warehouse. There currently aren't any projected delays to the 'Mid-March' estimate. You all will be having Christmas in March very shortly.

Any chance there are more Admiral 4S 5000s on the same shipment?

Comment

The containers are en route to the warehouse. There currently aren't any projected delays to the 'Mid-March' estimate. You all will be having Christmas in March very shortly.

:D:D:D:D:D
                                    rc flyin addict

Comment

Okay I bought my Robart diamond tread 2.75" for the mains, and 2.5" for the nose...I cannot wait to get my hands on my Allied Green!
                                      Same here Aros!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                                        Any chance there are more Admiral 4S 5000s on the same shipment?

Hmm, not sure on that...Alpha?
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• The Admiral shipment is not in the same Flightline shipment, but they shouldn't be too far behind. I'll check for an ETA.

Comment

Working...
                                          X