Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On RCG it's been brought up about the aileron hinges being loose, as I've discovered I also have that issue. does this seem to be an isolated problem ??

Comment

• Originally posted by LICobra View Post
      On RCG it's been brought up about the aileron hinges being loose, as I've discovered I also have that issue. does this seem to be an isolated problem ??
      I haven't had a single issue, and don't recall it being mentioned here. I don't follow much on RCG, so wasn't aware of the talk of this.
      Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Can you post the RCG link for that please?
        Bob Duncan

The only real helicopter is the CH-47 Chinook. The rest are just sling loads!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post
          Aros. I keep thinking too much elevator maybe?
          I'm not sure but I don't think so Ryan...I flew her again tonight and something just isn't right. I'm going to start from scratch and re-examine CG, all my control surfaces, flaps, etc (again), throws, expo, etc... It's been awhile...I can't recall if there was a CG Sweet Spot consensus among the masses?
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Some updates
            Aros I have not noticed any tendency to snap yet, she seems sedate and stable. I do always keep to a min of needed ele ( usually start with how tight will she loop) on all my planes as too much makes bad things happen :o)
            Ale diff might be a good idea on this one as she drags tail in the turns if you don't add rudder, the ale's seem insensitive to me so likely it would be ok
            CG came out about slightly forward of the middle of the front of the front fuel circle, I do need a few mm's of up trim on the ele to keep her level. She does balloon up with flaps and requites a bit of mixed in down ele. , she feels pretty close on cg to me (inverted requires only a slight down ele to keep level). I have not had any issues with the ale's being loose, my plane is from the first run, the only issue I have had is the inboard section of the starboard wing is down a bit requiring a little up ale trim on that side. Have nudged it a bit but don't want to crease it up just yet as it does not seem to effect the flight characteristics. She fly's great but feels a bit heavy coming in, drops fast with reduced throttle and she does not have a floaty flair (attempts to flair make her drop if your too slow) My best landings have been with full flaps, just enough throttle to make her descend and fly her down with some speed. Our runway short and the approach steep so it's been a bit of a challenge. I do LOVE the way she looks and fly's but I don't have a ton of flights on her yet.
            For those who have put in FMS P-51 gear I have found the springs on the mains too soft. The softness in the main gear changes the aoa on landing(the main springs compress too much relitive to the nose gear) witch has produced a hop on my last 2 flights. I had put spacers in to stiffen the mains up but it has not been enough to keep the gear fully spring extended with any authority. Ordered new springs form mcmaster car, will report when I get them installed.
            happy landings
            rc flyin addict

Comment

• Hey Aros, it ocured to me , after reading all these posts on the subject of your unruly P-38 that you might test the servos for the ailerons, elevator, etc. This plane is a great flyer and you are obviously a very experienced pilot and builder so I am automatically discounting allot of theories . From time to time, these small servos get tired with use and can go wonky to use a technical term and perform uncommanded movements under load. If you have a way of testing them, I would do so or replace the aileron servos and especially the elevator servo since there is only one, just to eliminate that possibility. They are allot cheaper than a new plane. Go Hawks! Brad

Comment

• Thanks Brad, I will definitely look at every possibility, servos being one of them. Thanks all!
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                  Hey Aros, it ocured to me , after reading all these posts on the subject of your unruly P-38 that you might test the servos for the ailerons, elevator, etc. This plane is a great flyer and you are obviously a very experienced pilot and builder so I am automatically discounting allot of theories . From time to time, these small servos get tired with use and can go wonky to use a technical term and perform uncommanded movements under load. If you have a way of testing them, I would do so or replace the aileron servos and especially the elevator servo since there is only one, just to eliminate that possibility. They are allot cheaper than a new plane. Go Hawks! Brad
                  +1, forgot I did have an ele servo that got jumpy before my maiden, replaced with a hitec.
                  rc flyin addict

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post
                    CG came out about slightly forward of the middle of the front of the front fuel circle, I do need a few mm's of up trim on the ele to keep her level.
                    I decided to try your CG which placed my batteries about 1.5" forward from their old mark. Flew her and she was much better. Nose heavy but as we all know warbirds prefer nose heavy. I thought I had the CG dialed and I had flights where she flew terrific but admittedly pushing the batteries forward to match your CG location she was much better behaved with none of the strangeness I was reporting exhibited. Next flight out of curiosity I am going to split the difference between my old CG setting and yours and see what I think.

I've also been flying with the tanks on just because I like the looks even though I know I could benefit from less drag flying clean. Always compromise with me when it comes to scale accessories. I'm one of those who refuses to put a 2 blade on a warbird even though I know it's more efficient with improved performance. I want to fly my warbirds what the real deal flew. 3 or 4 blades only! :D

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                      I want to fly my warbirds what the real deal flew. 3 or 4 blades only! :D
                      Yes sir...........that's the only way!!!!!! ;)
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                        I've also been flying with the tanks on just because I like the looks even though I know I could benefit from less drag flying clean. Always compromise with me when it comes to scale accessories. I'm one of those who refuses to put a 2 blade on a warbird even though I know it's more efficient with improved performance. I want to fly my warbirds what the real deal flew. 3 or 4 blades only! :D
                        Same for me. Multiblades and ordnance are a must for me as well. Preferably at a scale size as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Yes sir...........that's the only way!!!!!! ;)
                          Amazing how some people just don't get that! I can't understand building some of these big beautiful kits and slapping an very unscale, unauthentic looking prop on it. Yeah I get the speed thing, but my eye always goes to the prop and my mind thinks"EW" that's just not right....
                          Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• sweet Aros, let us know how far aft we can push :o) +1 on the 3 blades, just looks too sweet, especially on a twin !
                            rc flyin addict

Comment

• +1 on the scale props. When my wife got me the P-38, she got me the upgrade motor set as well because she knows I like fast birds. I thanked her and explained that this bird stock is no pig. So I sent them back and got the upgrade gear set. Much happier. As a matter of fact, I'm installing the new gear today.

Here is a couple of shots of one of my favorite warbirds to fly with the "must have" 3 blade. 82" span BV-141B #10

Comment

• Sweet bird!
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                                  +1 on the scale props. When my wife got me the P-38, she got me the upgrade motor set as well because she knows I like fast birds. I thanked her and explained that this bird stock is no pig. So I sent them back and got the upgrade gear set. Much happier. As a matter of fact, I'm installing the new gear today.

Here is a couple of shots of one of my favorite warbirds to fly with the "must have" 3 blade. 82" span BV-141B #10
                                  OK TJ.........I AM coming to your field!!!! Its appears that you are the only modeler in this area that is as fanatical about warbirds as me.
                                  Warbird Charlie
                                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• + 6 on the scale props and details. I flew fuel planes for decades and longed to have a plane with a scale 3 or 4 blade prop. I had to settle for "static props" for looks and then a 2 blade "flying prop"for the field. Having scale 3, 4 ,or 5 blade props is the single biggest advantage to flying electrics - that and flying twins without pushing the pucker factor off the scale for fear of the dreaded flat spin. But everybody knows that if I were the pilot, Goose would still be alive!! LOL Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

OK TJ.........I AM coming to your field!!!! Its appears that you are the only modeler in this area that is as fanatical about warbirds as me.
                                      Anytime Warbird. We've got two other guys that are into the warbirds too. They are always saying "There are two types of airplanes. Fighters and targets".

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post

Anytime Warbird. We've got two other guys that are into the warbirds too. They are always saying "There are two types of airplanes. Fighters and targets".
                                        Right On .....Right On!!!
                                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Just wanted to add one more thing about the scale props. Besides the looks of the scale prop just sitting there on the plane, after I land, I like to do a scale taxi back to the pits and see the yellow arc of the tips of the blades as the plane rolls up and then sloooowly pull the throttle back from idle to full stop like the real deal. It also doesn't hurt to " sync" that with the mr. r c sound system if you have it but it's also good without it. Go Hawks, Brad

Comment

Working...
                                          X