Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 3 of the HL tanks and the Sherman...for some reason....shoots MUCH farther than the other 2 tanks combined! I paced 70 yards from my front porch to the tree line and if I angle the tank on a slight incline, my shots almost reach the woods! I estimate my Sherman shoots a 6mm airsoft BB about 60+ yards! Anybody notice a greater shooting distance unique to this tank?

Will post pics...have to go on my other ipad to get them...

Comment

Hi All,

New to the forum. New to Heng Long tanks. I have the Sherman and the airsoft unit no longer launches BBs. It does cycle but nothing comes out. I am trying to get the airsoft unit out of the turret. I get past the barrel elevator motor unit but after that the screws seem to be inaccessible. Does the mantlet pop off? Anyone else get the unit out of their turret? Help!

Thanks

Dave

Comment

akadave Hi Dave, welcome to Hobby Squawk! If the barrel isn't firing a BB, but the motor is actually cycling, it's possible that the chamber is jammed so that BBs aren't feeding properly. It's almost 4:30am here, but I'll take a look at my Sherman tomorrow and let you know how to get the mantlet off.

The general takedown process for a Heng Long barrel is:

1) Remove the lower hull screws and lift the upper hull/turret off the lower hull
        2) From the underside of the upper hull, remove the five screws that attach the turret ring
        3) Take a photo of the wires coming out of the turret and into the MFCB (this makes reconnecting them afterward easier)
        4) With the turret ring unscrewed and the wires disconnected, separate the turret from the upper hull
        5) Unscrew the turret floor from the turret top
        6) Unscrew the barrel elevation motor unit
        7) Locate and unscrew the screws securing the Airsoft unit to the mantlet. These are usually two servos, silver colored instead of black, one on either side of the mantlet base.
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks so much!

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
          akadave Hi Dave, welcome to Hobby Squawk! If the barrel isn't firing a BB, but the motor is actually cycling, it's possible that the breech is jammed. It's almost 4:30am here, but I'll take a look at my Sherman tomorrow and let you know how to get the mantlet off.

Comment

Originally posted by akadave View Post
            Hi All,

New to the forum. New to Heng Long tanks. I have the Sherman and the airsoft unit no longer launches BBs. It does cycle but nothing comes out. I am trying to get the airsoft unit out of the turret. I get past the barrel elevator motor unit but after that the screws seem to be inaccessible. Does the mantlet pop off? Anyone else get the unit out of their turret? Help!

Thanks

Dave
            First you need to unplug all the wires leading to the turret from the upper hull mounted control board (if a 5.3 version) or unplug them from the MFU “black box” (if 6.0 versions).

Unscrew the large black turret “ring gear” and remove it. After this the turret will come right off.

On the the bottom of the turret there are access points to the screws that hold the upper and lower turret parts together. Remove the screws through these points and the upper and lower turret parts will separate.

Once the turret is in two pieces it should be very easy to remove the Airsoft “cannon” for further inspection and or repair.

NOTE: Take photos of each step along the way for reference and reassemble in the reverse.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't just jammed...My Tiger Tank jams fairly often for some reason. I keep some wire handy and just run it down the barrel and it unjams the BB.

Comment

I have version 6.0. Thats a lot of little plugs to remember where they go lol!

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

First you need to unplug all the wires leading to the turret from the upper hull mounted control board (if a 5.3 version) or unplug them from the MFU “black box” (if 6.0 versions).

Unscrew the large black turret “ring gear” and remove it. After this the turret will come right off.

On the the bottom of the turret there are access points to the screws that hold the upper and lower turret parts together. Remove the screws through these points and the upper and lower turret parts will separate.

Once the turret is in two pieces it should be very easy to remove the Airsoft “cannon” for further inspection and or repair.

NOTE: Take photos of each step along the way for reference and reassemble in the reverse.

Comment

I have version 6.0. Thats a lot of little plugs to remember where they go lol!

That is why you take a photo of the wires prior to unplugging them so you can have a visual reference where they go back.

Comment

I was able to get the unit out. The last part required spreading the turret apart to release the pivots from the holes. The issue was the hop-up. It was balled up in the breech of the barrel with a BB stuck in it. I was able to disassemble it and get it cleared and the BB unit back together. Didnt have time to finish the repair. My only concern is the plugs on the end of the wires. I may not get it right the first time putting them in place and they are very stubborn to get out. I had to use hemostats to get them out. Im afraid I will damage them. Is there a trick to it?

Thanks

Dave

Comment

akadave I'm glad you got it opened up!

As far as unplugging the wires, I've never had an issue with them. Just grip both wires firmly near the base of the plastic connector, and pull firmly out, with a slight wiggle as needed. Note that the connectors have a raised tab, to ensure the polarity is aligned.

Comment

Next time you get a jam, just try running a flexible wire down the barrel to clear it. Will save you a lot of time.

I use the flexible green florist wire.

Comment

I figured out the issue. It was the hop-up unit balled up in the barrel. Had to take it apart to fix it. Its working fine now. Found a good labeled schematic of the plug location, plus it helps to take the cable wrap off to see what goes to what. I think Im good now. Thanks everyone for the help!

Comment

The Sherman struggles on my carpet. Not even thick. Have to go slow. Paranoid I might split a track doing turns and three-sixties.

Comment

I figured out the issue. It was the hop-up unit balled up in the barrel. Had to take it apart to fix it. Its working fine now. Found a good labeled schematic of the plug location, plus it helps to take the cable wrap off to see what goes to what. I think Im good now. Thanks everyone for the help!
                              I make a label out of white masking tape around the wires and write what channel it goes to before I pull it out.

Comment

Stupid double post.

Comment

Love the review! Are there different smoke fluids that I can use with the tank without doing damage to the generator? The smoke looks odd in my opinion and I want to see if there are some more realistic-looking options. Would I be able to use a small humidifier to fit into the hull and connect it to the MFCB for a more realistic look?

Comment

Originally posted by KV2_driver_13 View Post
                                    Love the review! Are there different smoke fluids that I can use with the tank without doing damage to the generator? The smoke looks odd in my opinion and I want to see if there are some more realistic-looking options. Would I be able to use a small humidifier to fit into the hull and connect it to the MFCB for a more realistic look?
                                    KV2_driver_13 The glycerin oil is fairly standard. It will always vaporize in the same way and propagate in the same way. For more "realism", I'm unsure if you're looking for different density, different diffusion, etc.

I have a water-based humidifier-style device in my WLM Excavator (in the Construction forum), but its color is identical to Heng Long's heated oil device. They do differ in propagation, however: the humidifier "oozes" more steadily instead of surging in sync with the device's piston, and the humidifier dissipates much more quickly compared to the lingering heated oil.

If you're looking for "realism" in terms of proportional smoke that emits more or less smoke effect in sync with throttle position (idle, accelerate, cruise), you'd need to upgrade to an MFCB that supports proportional smoke. These are rare and expensive. We'll post more details soon.

The Sherman hull is not very spacious, but part of the fun with tanks is tinkering, so far be it from me to tell anyone what they can't attempt to shoehorn into their machines. If you do decide to DIY, keep us posted!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Has anyone removed the airsoft from the Sherman yet? I am wanting to install a muzzle flash LED and am down to the airsoft mechanism but cant get to what I think are the final screws.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

So I was able to install a muzzle flash LED for the sherman without removing the airsoft unit. It looks pretty darn sweet! Will post up pics when I get a chance.

Comment

Working...
                                          X