X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Admiral Li-ion batteries charger requirements

The new Admiral Li-ion batteries from MRC look very interesting. I'm wondering if the charger I have will work with them. It is a quad charger from Vista Power Q3620AC 320W 80W x 4, but the programing is very similar to the Hi-Tec ( and several other ) quad chargers. It has several different battery type settings including one called LiIo. Is this a shortened version of Li-ion? Once in that battery type I can select cell number, total mAh of the battery, and mAh charge rate from .1 amp up to 7 amp. What do you guys think, or should I be looking for another setting?

Originally posted by rzing View Post
    The new Admiral Li-ion batteries from MRC look very interesting. I'm wondering if the charger I have will work with them. It is a quad charger from Vista Power Q3620AC 320W 80W x 4, but the programing is very similar to the Hi-Tec ( and several other ) quad chargers. It has several different battery type settings including one called LiIo. Is this a shortened version of Li-ion? Once in that battery type I can select cell number, total mAh of the battery, and mAh charge rate from .1 amp up to 7 amp. What do you guys think, or should I be looking for another setting?
    Yes. Lilo is the correct battery selection. I use my Turnigy Reaktor Quad and Single 300W chargers to charge my Li-ion tank batteries. I charge at 1amp just to be on the safe side and with the balance lead connected it knows how many cells.. So far I haven't any of them blown up ...

This is my setting for the Admiral 3500mAh Li-ion pack before charging:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	LiionCharge1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.1 KB ID:	257805

This is during charge:

Click image for larger version  Name:	LiionCharge2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.3 KB ID:	257806

I should be getting the new Admiral 7000mAh Li-ion pack in the next day or two so I can see how they look. I just read that max charging current for Li-ion is 0.8C which would be 5.6amps for the 7000 but that spooks me and I don't want to blow my new batteries. I'll probably stick with 1 or 2 amps unless someone tells me different. I have the time so I can be gentle with my batteries..

Comment

The new Admiral Li-ion batteries from MRC look very interesting. I'm wondering if the charger I have will work with them. It is a quad charger from Vista Power Q3620AC 320W 80W x 4, but the programing is very similar to the Hi-Tec ( and several other ) quad chargers. It has several different battery type settings including one called LiIo. Is this a shortened version of Li-ion? Yes that is the correct technical abbreviation Once in that battery type I can select cell number, total mAh of the battery, and mAh charge rate from .1 amp up to 7 amp. What do you guys think, or should I be looking for another setting?
      Your charger shall work very well. There are only a couple manufactures and they rebrand for many labels on the market and the programming is virtually identical across the lines.
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I guess if I wasn't such a guy I'd have read the back of the battery! LOL!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Admiral3500ChargeCurrent.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.4 KB ID:	257812

The new 7000mAh batteries have the text right on the front! Doh...!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Admiral7000ChargeCurrent.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	257815

Comment

My G.T. Power charger is few years old. It has a LiPo setting which I have been using for my plane batteries. It does not have a specific Li-Ion menu choice. Can I use the LiPo setting as long as I make sure not to send too many amps to the battery to charge it?

Comment

I recently got a 7000 mah admiral battery can I use the heng long usb charger for it? Or does someone recommend I get a different charger?

Comment

Originally posted by MB Sherman View Post
              I recently got a 7000 mah admiral battery can I use the heng long usb charger for it? Or does someone recommend I get a different charger?
              Definitely get a different charger.

Comment

I gave some background information on why Lithium Ion pack using multi cell configuration is the best choice for RC tank. You may find it helpful. The new Admiral Li-ion batteries from MRC employs the right idea.
                https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...eng-long-tanks

If you have an older charger designed for NiCD or NiMH pack, it will not work for a Lithium pack. The Lithium battery (all kinds) are constant voltage charge device. For safety and pack durability, you need a balance charger of 2A capability or higher. I use a SkyRC iMAX B6 mini charger and am very happy with it. I highly recommend NOT to buy "non-brand name" iMAX B6 charger which may be much cheaper, but the software is often messed up and not upgradeable. (How do I know? I tried.)

Most commercial lithium charger default to stop charging at 8.2V (4.1V per cell) for safety and pack durability. It is a good decision for Lithium Ion cells. But it also mean that your 7000 mAh pack is only 6000 mAh capacity or so. It is a bad idea to push the LiIo pack to 8.4V and its rated capacity. The SkyRC charger software is fully tailorable by the user which I like very much.

I chose 18650 LiIo cells to make my packs. A 4-cell pack fits the Heng Long battery compartment well with room on the side to spare. The charge current limit is a function of the cell used and about 2A for the 18650. I also use 2x 26650 cells to make 5000 mAh pack which can charge faster and has plenty of run time too.

Comment

What charger do you recommend I get?

Comment

Originally posted by MB Sherman View Post
                    What charger do you recommend I get?
                    If you have an older charger designed for NiCD or NiMH pack, it will not work for a Lithium pack. The Lithium battery (all kinds) are constant voltage charge device. For safety and pack durability, you need a balance charger of 2A capability or higher. I use a SkyRC iMAX B6 mini charger and am very happy with it. I highly recommend NOT to buy "non-brand name" iMAX B6 charger which may be much cheaper, but the software is often messed up and not upgradeable. (How do I know? I tried.)
                    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This not a super fast charger which allows you to recharge one pack while using the other. It does allow you to charge the bigger 7000 mAh pack in 3-4 hours.

Comment

Working...
                    X