Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the love of God ...

Greetings...

Manufacturers... Could you please make your IR system a little less "prominently displayed " please? Apple, mushroom, hot dog, hamburger... I hate my detailed tank running around with a bottle of medicine on top of a turret. A casual observer asked what the heck is that thing on top of my tank ??? Nothing to do on this Saturday night so pardon my rant ... Dai

Originally posted by dai phan View Post
    Greetings...

Manufacturers... Could you please make your IR system a little less "prominently displayed " please? Apple, mushroom, hot dog, hamburger... I hate my detailed tank running around with a bottle of medicine on top of a turret. A casual observer asked what the heck is that thing on top of my tank ??? Nothing to do on this Saturday night so pardon my rant ... Dai
    LegoDEI makes an excellent low profile IR receiver. You have to install it which takes some basic hobby skills, but as you can see it sits about as low as an open hatch would.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5A2DCEE7-E818-451D-B294-AF82AD90E0CF.jpeg
Views:	539
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	287155

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

LegoDEI makes an excellent low profile IR receiver. You have to install it which takes some basic hobby skills, but as you can see it sits about as low as an open hatch would.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5A2DCEE7-E818-451D-B294-AF82AD90E0CF.jpeg
Views:	539
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	287155
      Can it be mounted inside? Dai

Comment

Ive seen it done, but it means your running IR receivers to each side of your tank yourself.

Comment

It can be done, BUT you have to ensure your tank can reliably register hits from all sides and at varying ranges. This is rather difficult unless you have solid overall hobby fabrication skill sets.

Because of the difficulty and amount of fabrication work required few actually do hidden IR receivers and hit indication LEDs. Most settle for low profile ones because when a tank is 25-35ft from you they can hardly be seen.

Comment

It can be done, BUT you have to ensure your tank can reliably register hits from all sides and at varying ranges. This is rather difficult unless you have solid overall hobby fabrication skill sets.

Because of the difficulty and amount of fabrication work required few actually do hidden IR receivers and hit indication LEDs. Most settle for low profile ones because when a tank is 25-35ft from you they can hardly be seen.

Makes sense. I guess my static model blood is still in me ! Dai

Comment

I bought the Taigen JS2 BB version because I understand their IR is not compatible with HL system. Anyway to make the Taigen IR compatible with HL? The tank will be here tomorrow. Dai

Comment

I bought the Taigen JS2 BB version because I understand their IR is not compatible with HL system. Anyway to make the Taigen IR compatible with HL? The tank will be here tomorrow. Dai
                There is a conversation board by Mako but it’s performance is most often “lack luster”. Better to just swap out the Taigen MFU for a HL 6.0/6.1 system, which is rather simple process.

Comment

There is a conversation board by Mako but it’s performance is most often “lack luster”. Better to just swap out the Taigen MFU for a HL 6.0/6.1 system, which is rather simple process.
                  I contacted Imex about changing from BB to IR in the future on the JS2. I was advised that I need a whole new IR turret of 167 USD ! Dai

Comment

I contacted Imex about changing from BB to IR in the future on the JS2. I was advised that I need a whole new IR turret of 167 USD ! Dai
                    Once you start building/modifying and repairing your tanks you will see how much BS that is.

Comment

Something to keep in mind is that companies have to be careful of what they say to clients. They cannot advise about “mods” if they are not 100% vetted and supported for liability reasons. They usually can only advise for “replacement” components. MotionRC is no different in regards the products it sells and supports. This is one of the reasons we have “forums” to gleen information from “community” users for either easy or useful “non-supported “ modifications that work.

Comment

Once you start building/modifying and repairing your tanks you will see how much BS that is.
                        Well I am not going to buy a new metal turret at 167 USD just to get the IR function. I cannot see why a person could not buy the IR components and place into the current turret? May be the components are not available separately and you have to buy a whole bundle? Dai

Comment

Well I am not going to buy a new metal turret at 167 USD just to get the IR function. I cannot see why a person could not buy the IR components and place into the current turret? May be the components are not available separately and you have to buy a whole bundle? Dai
                          First off why would you want to use their sub standard IR components when there are others of far higher quality, performance and at a similar cost.

To make your JS2 fully IR compatible with your HL tanks you would need to either add a Mako secondary IR conversion board (which more then often don’t work well) or convert the MFU to a HL 6.0/6.1, Tamiya, Clark or IBU. Then add the correct corresponding IR “apple” base/wiring and IR receiver. (Note: IR base to IR receiver to MFU wiring is similar BUT not the same for all the available systems)

Then there is the IR bulb type, not all are the same. Some are more powerful and thus can score hits at greater distances and in brighter lighting conditions. Then there is the correct placement of the bulb.

Now all this may start to sound complicated but it really isn’t.

All these topics have been covered a number of time on this forum. If you do a little searching around you will find them.

Comment

First off why would you want to use their sub standard IR components when there are others of far higher quality, performance and at a similar cost.

To make your JS2 fully IR compatible with your HL tanks you would need to either add a Mako secondary IR conversion board (which more then often don’t work well) or convert the MFU to a HL 6.0/6.1, Tamiya, Clark or IBU. Then add the correct corresponding IR “apple” base/wiring and IR receiver. (Note: IR base to IR receiver to MFU wiring is similar BUT not the same for all the available systems)

Then there is the IR bulb type, not all are the same. Some are more powerful and thus can score hits at greater distances and in brighter lighting conditions. Then there is the correct placement of the bulb.

Now all this may start to sound complicated but it really isn’t.

All these topics have been covered a number of time on this forum. If you do a little searching around you will find them.
                            I will do exactly as you advise as the Taigen IR leaves lots to be desired. I will get the tank today and see how I like the sound, smoke system, driving before I change to HL 6.0. Dai

Comment

SoCalBobS and others. BriggsCowan has been banned for posting spam on numerous occasions in differing topics here at the Squawk. Thank you for Flagging his posts. Best, Steve
                              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                              X